Jump to content
Sports Interactive Community

Recommended Posts

Hi, 

Purchased the game, downloaded and am attempting to do a 50 or 100 year sim of the game before i start. 

I like doing this to create an alternate reality to play in, it makes the game more enjoyable as you have 50 years of simulated history, new champion clubs etc

I receive the " Football Manager 2017 17.1.2f903032 (update) has stopped working" everytime i attempt to sim. 

The furthest i have got is about a year and a half before the crash happens. 

Kinda ridiculous that i spent money on this game and it can't even successfully simulate continuously without constantly crashing. This isn't even with going into a game! 

I have tried the delete cache and verified the game integrity etc. 

Please fix this issue SI as i'm currently pretty peeved that I can't play and am more likely to go back to my FM14 save than give you money for next years game

Thank you 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh and before you ask I am not running anything custom and I have set my avg antivirus to make an exception for both FM17 and steam

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So is it always crashing on exactly the same date or is it random?

Also AVG can still cause issues with the game even when disabled or with exceptions set up. To test for certain whether it's causing the issue, I'd suggest if it's a paid for version backup the activation code then turn on Windows Defender. Once that's on, uninstall AVG entirely, the uninstall and reinstall FM.

Then try the game and see if you encounter the same issues. Let us know how you get on, thanks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have followed your suggested steps. Have just started the game up and have started simulating. Will let you know how it goes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think this game is actually just broken. There are more problems after the update than before. Seriously this is not acceptable as I'm pretty sure the majority of players are having major problems with your game. Look at the user reviews on metacritic/steam forums. Welcome to modern gaming, where the game is released broken and in beta form for the end users to pay to test the game for the devs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay sounds like some kind of conflict, please post your Belarc and I'll take a look. Details here - https://community.sigames.com/faq/football-manager-2017/84_how-to/89_pc/how-to-find-my-belarc-file-pc-r215/

The Steam reviews are also heavily skewed by a large number of Chinese users downvoting the game due to the Chinese language not being in game, so I would take the number of negative Steam reviews with a pinch of salt.  You can also see the length of time people have played the game for. Even the negative reviews players have been playing for over 100 hours. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have emailed the nominated address

I think that shows that a lot of people love your series and feel disappointed in the end product but anyway. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, etraud20 said:

same problem 

bug.png

Please create your own thread for your issue. Thanks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jam jameson said:

I'm experiencing the same problem, really annoying because you're not even able to progress to the next day

And, even if it occurred even in the early days of the release, in the last days it has become really annoying

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, jam jameson said:

I'm experiencing the same problem, really annoying because you're not even able to progress to the next day

Please create your own thread. Thanks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Neil Brock said:

Please create your own thread. Thanks. 

Hi Neil, thanks for your answer, but why should I create my own thread? I've got the same problem as ohter users, why not dealing with it as a unique issue of the game? Why trying to make it as our issue (our PC's issue) instead that a game's issue???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jam jameson said:

Hi Neil, thanks for your answer, but why should I create my own thread? I've got the same problem as ohter users, why not dealing with it as a unique issue of the game? Why trying to make it as our issue (our PC's issue) instead that a game's issue???

You have no way of knowing it's the same issue - crash dumps and the game quitting unexpectedly can be caused by a variety of factors so we ask each user to create their own thread so we can diagnose the issue and potentially fix it.  If people post in other users threads it makes it harder to keep track of and there's a chance somebodies issue may get missed. Sometimes it is the user's PC which causes the problem. Sometime's its custom editor files or custom graphics. And sometimes it is the game code. All we ask is users create their own thread so we can look at each case on an individual basis. 

Thanks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Neil Brock said:

You have no way of knowing it's the same issue - crash dumps and the game quitting unexpectedly can be caused by a variety of factors so we ask each user to create their own thread so we can diagnose the issue and potentially fix it.  If people post in other users threads it makes it harder to keep track of and there's a chance somebodies issue may get missed. Sometimes it is the user's PC which causes the problem. Sometime's its custom editor files or custom graphics. And sometimes it is the game code. All we ask is users create their own thread so we can look at each case on an individual basis. 

Thanks. 

Hi, have you looked at my save yet? I really want to get this sim over and done with. 

Also this is off topic but SI should release an option to play a game 50 years in the future upon release anyway. I have uploaded my save before and had quite a number of players interested as it changes the starting brick and kinda makes it more challenging. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Once we've had a chance to give it a good look we'll update you. Thanks for your patience so far. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's so annoying man. all I want to do is sim... I get a week ahead... then crash... a day then crash... a month then crash... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Dendas said:

same problems.

As Neil demands, made a different thread.

Yeah I'm gonna go out on a limb here, maybe the 10 threads all created saying that people are having constant crashes is "game code" related? I mean I'm sure we are all using different PC's with different antivirus programs... the only constant is FM17. 

So can SI please acknowledge this and give us their plan to solve the issue as well as what compensation they are offering for selling us a game that is broken. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jack1077 said:

Yeah I'm gonna go out on a limb here, maybe the 10 threads all created saying that people are having constant crashes is "game code" related? I mean I'm sure we are all using different PC's with different antivirus programs... the only constant is FM17. 

So can SI please acknowledge this and give us their plan to solve the issue as well as what compensation they are offering for selling us a game that is broken. 

Using that logic, why aren't the other hundreds of thousands of people with the game having the same issue? As I've explained before some crashes are related to code, but more often it's related to custom additions to the game, program conflicts or system problems. We're trying to figure out which one each is so we can try to address it whatever the solution is. 

Also please don't bump your thread as we work from the bottom up, so every time you bump your thread it means we'll take longer to reply. 

In regards to your save as you are aware it's a large file with a very large number of leagues loaded, so it's going to take a while to holiday through, especially given the issue hasn't reproduced immediately for us here. When we have any further information we'll update you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/11/2016 at 19:30, Neil Brock said:

Here's a screenshot of you saying that it's an issue that you are aware of... Lower in the thread you say it will be fixed in the next patch. Seems like you're kinda admitting it there so... why are you arguing with me? 

 

Screenshot_20161130-203210.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jack1077 said:

 

Screenshot_20161130-203210.png

If you scroll down just a small amount you'll see I've also said in that thread:

Quote

As I've said in a number of other threads, a crash dump or 'game has quit unexpectedly' is a generic message which appears whenever there is a problem. The cause of this can be many different things, ranging from system issues, additional custom graphics/logos to actual game code.

In this specific instance it is related to the game code and can be fixed within the code. Just because this one specific example is, doesn't mean that all other issues that have a crash are the same issue. I hope that's clear. Thanks. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/11/2016 at 19:30, Neil Brock said:

What's the ETA then on knowing the issue with my save? also it's not just that save it's any that I use. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you trying to quote me saying that or is that just what you're trying to say? I'm assuming the latter? 

Your issue is some kind of problem specific to your system as I've run your uploaded save for a long period of time without any stability issues whatsoever. Difficult to say exactly what it is though as random crashes can be hard to diagnose the exact problem. I know you've done it before, but can you send me a belarc taken from today please so I can analyse it again?

Thanks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay can you please try creating a new Windows User Account on your system, then once it's active start up Steam. sign in and usual and see if you encounter the same issue when running the game? If it does crash, it'll rule out a permissions issue with the account.

Let us know how you get on. Thanks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Neil Brock said:

Okay can you please try creating a new Windows User Account on your system, then once it's active start up Steam. sign in and usual and see if you encounter the same issue when running the game? If it does crash, it'll rule out a permissions issue with the account.

Let us know how you get on. Thanks. 

I have done this. created an account with admin privileges and the problem still persists. got about 10 days before the crash occurred. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well it's not a permissions issue, at least not one specific to your user account. 

Is Steam and the game both installed on your C drive or is it the D drive? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Neil Brock said:

Well it's not a permissions issue, at least not one specific to your user account. 

Is Steam and the game both installed on your C drive or is it the D drive? 

Both on c drive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apologies for the delayed response, this one really is a head-scratcher as we've tried almost everything I would suggest from a troubleshooting perspective. If it was the code with the game we'd be having more 'random' crashes like this reported given the number of people playing the game, but those kinds of reports which can't be resolved by system troubleshooting are few and far between. I know it's a lot to ask, but are you in any position to backup your files and reinstall your OS? I understand if this isn't something you can do, but we have had some issues resolved once this is done, albeit is normally a last resort request.

Let me know, thanks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No I am not in the position to backup and reinstall my OS. I have FM14 and a number of other games running fine on my system. I have no other issues with any other software running on my PC. 

I do disagree with you regarding the other instances of this crash. yes not all will be the same and yes not all users suffer the issue. However, if you look at the sheer number of "football manager 2017 has stopped working" threads created on the SI forums alone, it to me suggests a link. 

I don't really know how to proceed from here. I do appreciate your time and effort put forth though in attempting to resolve this for me. Thank you.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/2/2016 at 15:41, jack1077 said:

No I am not in the position to backup and reinstall my OS. I have FM14 and a number of other games running fine on my system. I have no other issues with any other software running on my PC. 

I do disagree with you regarding the other instances of this crash. yes not all will be the same and yes not all users suffer the issue. However, if you look at the sheer number of "football manager 2017 has stopped working" threads created on the SI forums alone, it to me suggests a link. 

I don't really know how to proceed from here. I do appreciate your time and effort put forth though in attempting to resolve this for me. Thank you.  

Just to clarify, the 'Football Manager has stopped working' message is a generic message, much like the crash dump message. When those crashes occur on specific dates within a save, when viewed on internal code of the code we can see specific crash dumps for some issues. However for 'random' crashes like your own it's often something else causing the crash other than the game itself which is what makes it harder to track down. The simple fact remains that we've looked at your save game on internal systems on both the internal code and the 'live' version of the game through Steam which would be exactly the same as yours and it does not crash. That again suggests the issue is related to your system and the configuration of said system. 

FM14 doesn't really help us much as so much has changed in both the game and how the game runs through Steam, so I'm afraid it's not a valid comparison. Nor would FM16 as there's even been considerable changes since then. 

I could take the save here and advance it 50 years in without a problem, however the issue if not addressed would likely happen when you're playing through that save on your system. The only thing left to suggest now other than an OS reinstall would be to remove other programs that could potentially conflict with the game. However looking at your Belarc there's nothing that stands out to me from experience so we're at a bit of an impasse. It may just be that you contact your retailer about a refund in this instance as you can't get the game to work as you'd like on your system. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you want to sim it forward 50 years i will happily take that for now. :) 

Could Plex media server be causing the issue? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay will run a holiday tonight and see how far we get. Given it's a large save not sure quite how long it'll take but will let you know when it's ready. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have found a temporary workaround for the bug. Somehow (no idea why), when I UNPLUG my internet I can get past the date in game.

I hope this will help you determine what the actual problem is related to. It does not work if you just go offline on Steam, you have to be disconnected from the internet alltogether. I stumbled upon this quite by accident by trying to run FM while my internet was dead. I just tried disconnecting manually and it also works.

I am still to test it to see if the problem persists once i reconnect and go back in the game.

Hopefully this will also help other people affected by this problem.

I am posting this here as well as I think most people will be looking at this thread due to the number of replies.

Hope it works for you Jack.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay the save game is still on holiday and will take a while yet. 

One other question, when you were trying to holiday it on your machine, did you 'lock' your  machine at any point? (As in press 'Ctrl + L' or lock the user profile). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Neil Brock said:

Okay the save game is still on holiday and will take a while yet. 

One other question, when you were trying to holiday it on your machine, did you 'lock' your  machine at any point? (As in press 'Ctrl + L' or lock the user profile). 

Hi, That's okay i am happy to wait for a while. 

No it was not due to locking my PC. I will give the other guys suggestion a try later on as well with attempting to sim with no internet connection. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a chance it could be - are you in a position to uninstall it and see if FM runs more stable? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Neil Brock said:

There is a chance it could be - are you in a position to uninstall it and see if FM runs more stable? 

I can disable it temporarily and then run it? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...