[FM17] The Great San Marino Challenge

San Marino Flag Small.png

The Great San Marino Challenge

The Goal - To Win The World Cup with International Minnows San Marino

The San Marino challenge entails taking international football minnows San Marino to the top with a World Cup victory. This seems impossible however San Marino has an ace up it's sleeve. San Marino Calcio is a club based in San Marino that plays in Italy's Serie D. Getting this club promoted to Serie A and investing heavily in youth facilities, junior coaching and youth recruitment should see higher quality Sammarinese players produced leading to a better national team.

Hall Of Fame

(to be added just post a screenshot of you achieving the goal, shoutout to Kandersson for inspiration for most of these)

San Marino Calcio

Promotion from Serie D - @rycl77, @fabreth, @Watson156 , @AndyFromDonny

Promotion from Serie C - @rycl77

Promotion from Serie B - @rycl77

Survive a season in Serie A - @rycl77

Serie D to Serie A in three seasons -

Have a player of Sammarinese nationality win player of the year -

Qualify for a European Tournament - @rycl77

Win Serie A - @rycl77

Win the Italian Cup - @rycl77

Win the Champions League -

Win Serie A with a squad of only Sammarinese players -

Win the Champions League with a squad of only Sammarinese players -

San Marino National Team

Beat Andy Selva's 8 goal record - @rycl77

Get San Marino into the top 100 ranked National Teams -

Qualify for a major tournament with the San Marino National Team - 

Win the European Championships with San Marino - 

Become the number 1 ranked national team in the world - 

Win the World Cup with San Marino - 

Rules and Instructions

Serie D is not in the original game database. To be able to take control of San Marino Calcio you MUST download an editor file which includes Serie D. This is the one I have used - http://www.fmscout.com/a-italy-serie-d-fm17.html

To have the option to manage the San Marino National Team you MUST select custom for database size and then go to nations, San Marino and make sure "load all players of nationality" is ticked or you'll be unable to take control of the National Team. Must be done when selecting leagues at the start of the game.

Do not cheat with the use of ingame editor, genie scout etc. Spoils the achievement.

That is all, hopefully some of you decide to take up the challenge, it's a long one!

san marino logo small.png

Season 2016/17 - Serie D

Season In Review - Serie D Champions

League Table

#18.PNG

In the end we kind of walked it, Vis Pesaro finally started slipping up and we pulled away, even when we did go through a small tough patch they were unable to capitalise. I was expected to win this division so it's not surprising but satisfying.

Results

#19 pt 1.PNG

#19 pt 2.PNG

Team of the Season

#17.PNG

Surprisingly our left back was actually voted 2nd best player even though at times I was dropping him for a youngster to abide by the Serie D Youth regulations. De Lucia was by far most deserving of the award however.

Transfers

#21.PNG

In January I added Poletti, a club legend from previous years as our back up left winger. I loaned two more Cesena youngsters to help us with the stupid Serie D youth rules which stipulate you need at least 4 under 20's playing etc and lastly Zandrini who was a first choice keeper, same goalkeeping ability as our other number 1 Dini but Zandrini was more comfortable as a sweeper keeper and a better passer.

Finances

#22.PNG

Finance wise we are struggling really bad, even though I was 2k under the wage budget. Looks like I need to have a big pre-season or we're screwed lol. Bit worrying.

Misc

#23.PNG

#24.PNG

That's all for this update, Serie C awaits us next season!

#20.PNG

San Marino National Team - 2016/2017 Update

National Team 2016 Results.PNG

National Team 2017 Results.PNG

I don't currently manage the national team. I will obviously in future but right now I'm focusing on the club as managing the national team through defeat after defeat is pretty boring haha. 

They had an extremely rough 2016, losing every single game without even scoring a goal. A 2-0 loss to Montenegro probably their best result. 

2017 saw two goals scored both from San Marino legends Vitaoli and Stefanelli both in 3-1 losses. Much better than 2016, a 1-0 friendly defeat to Georgia maybe their best result. These less than stellar two years have obviously not done much for their ranking as they currently sit in.....

Ranking

National Team Ranking 2017.PNG

206th, we've got a job on our hands.

Season 2017/18 - Serie C

Season In Review - Good Start, Disastrous End

League Table

#50.PNG

Just about made the play-offs. Expectations were to avoid relegation and we did it relatively easily.

Results

#55.PNG

#56.PNG

Four wins from December 12th onwards. Simply shocking. An absolute collapse. Forced us into a change of systems towards the end of the year. We had such a good start too, not sure what happened. I think our tactic has just been found out by the AI.

Team Of The Season

Team Of The Year 2017-18.PNG

De Lucia was named player of the year for the second year running. Impressive again so he'll be kepy on. Torelli had another good year also. From that Team of the Year I'd say that Zandrini, Stendardo, Pompei, Romitit, Carcinelli, Pagliarini and Buso will all be gone for various different reasons. Time for us to upgrade the squad if we can.

Transfers

#57.PNG

Same as last season with a ton of signings made to try and get our squad to a level in which it can survive in Serie C. One to note was the sale of Canti for 100k. A Sammarinese prospect who came through our youth intake was sold by the board for 100k. Can't say I blame them with the state of our finances. This is how Canti looks, already a regular for the National Team.

Finances

2018 Club Finances.PNG

Our finances are bit of a state. I'll do our usual bumper pre-season against big teams to bring in cash and the payment from the league should leave us only about 100k in the hole which isn't bad considering we were about 800k in the red at times this season. Not sure if the board want to cut my wage budget yet or not but I've stuck to it and not gone over.

Formation

#58.PNG

This formation was implemented for our last few games to decent success so I'll be sticking with it into the next season, hopefully with better strikers and a more solid defence it can be a success.

Misc

#48.PNG

We absolutely need to not concede as many penalties next season. This literally killed us at times and we even conceded one in the play-offs. Seems a bit of a fluky stat so if that goes back to average next season we could gain a few more points.

On to 2018-2019.

San Marino National Team - 2018 Update

#71.PNG

After scoring 2 goals in 2 years San Marino banged in two in their first game. Albeit it was against Gibraltar, an equally terrible team and they lost 4-2 but you can't have it all right?

The introduction of the European Nations League is going to be the nations best friend over the coming years as it means they can consistently play against teams on their level. Games against the likes of Luxembourg and Kazakhstan regularly means a high chance of better results.

Three games where they didn't lose, an impressive draw vs Malta, a win vs Luxembourg and a draw with Kazakhstan meant they had their best year in history. You can already see Andrea Canti getting in amongst the goals at aged 18, fresh from our academy.

#72.PNG

These results meant they moved up four places from last year, not too bad. I still don't manage them and don't intend to until I reach Serie B with the club.

Best Players

#73.PNG

10 caps at the age of 18 and already 3 goals, Canti looks a dead cert to beat Andy Selva's legendary 8 goal all time goalscoring record for the country. Although Selva did it in the days before the Nations League.

#74.PNG

Anyone who's attempted the challenge before is familiar with Matteo Vitaoli, in past versions he actually played for the club however nowadays he plays his trade away from San Marino. Still easily one of their better players he has been leading the line for them in recent games.

Season 2018/19 - Serie C

Season In Review - Close But No Cigar

League Table

#84.PNG

We finished in third place behind the ever impressive Parma and Modena who were just a level above us, both of these sides were promoted so we won't be playing them next season which is a bonus. 3rd for our second season in Serie C isn't a bad result.

Results

League

#95.PNG

#96.PNG

Play-offs

#97.PNG

These play-offs are absolutely brutal. We were lucky to get past Vicenza but ultimately lost in the semi-finals are conceding 3 in 25 minutes at the start of the game. I want to aim for automatic promotion next year as these play-offs are extremely difficult as you need to get the better of 5 teams to get promoted.

Serie C Cup

#98.PNG

Just completely not important. Don't care about this trophy, neither does the board.

Team of The Season

#93.PNG

De Lucia wins for the third year straight, this must be fixed. He wasn't actually that good this year and lost his place in the team at times. My personal player of the season would be De Giralmo our striker who scored some massive goals for us despite not being rated very highly by my assistant manager.

Squad

Squad 2018-2019.PNG

Transfers

#99.PNG

We didn't actually do as much business as we usually do. Zigoni was probably our best signing, he's worth a ton and can score a goal from absolutely nothing. There was the standard horde of Cesena loanees but overall nothing too crazy.

Finances

#100.PNG

Our finances are in surprisingly good shape compared to last year where we went 400k into the red. Having a few home play-off matches with high attendance and board investment means we're in decent shape, we should be in the black for a bit after we finish our jampacked pre-season.

Sammarinese Academy Prospects

Davide Colombini 5*

Mirco Capicchoni 4*

Giacomo Zavoli 3*

Stefano Simoncini 3*

Mirko Bugli 4.5*

Andrea Michelotti 4.5*

Roberto Mariotti 4.5*

That wraps it up, hopefully we can gain promotion next year, thanks for reading.

San Marino National Team - 2019 Update

(I still don't manage them yet)

Results

#118.PNG

A very, very rough year for the national team. They played in the Euro Qualifiers rather than the Nations League and got battered. Two goals scored the whole year both in 4-1 losses. Best results probably the 1-0 losses to Denmark and Sweden.

Ranking

National Team Ranking 2019.PNG

They slipped to 209th, the worst in Europe bar Andorra. Bad times.

Season 2019/20 - Serie C

Season In Review - Third Time Lucky

League Table

2019-20 table.PNG

At our third attempt we've climbed out of Serie C. That's 2 promotions down, one more go until we hit the promised land of Serie A. We went top early in the season and just kept building our lead from there. A league low 6 draws meant we were good at turning would be draws into wins which proved to be the difference for us as we walked the league by 15 points.

Results

League

#127.PNG

#128.PNG

We went on a massive run and lost three times from November to May in the league. Just too easy for us.

Italian Cup

#130.PNG

We had an amazing run in the Italian Cup, making it to the quarter finals and beating some great sides away from home on the way. Three Serie A teams defeated in a row. This cup run generated about a million in revenue for us too and meant we actually ended a season not in debt.

Serie C Cup

#131.PNG

Done terrible in this cup every year we've been in it but board says it's not important and the cash prize makes me inclined to agree.

Team Of The Season

team of the year 2019-2020.PNG

De Lucia didn't play for us this year so he couldn't win it for the fourth year running. Instead it went to the main man De Giralamo. 

Squad

2019-20 squad.PNG

The average ratings shows how good we were this season, mostly 7's.

Transfers

2019-20 transfers.PNG

Coming in we had the usual Cesena loanees, we signed a top keeper in Josh Lillis who had a good season between the sticks. Gozzi came in at CB and was great for us, Florian bagged a few goals, Scipioni was a revelation starting at RB. Bocalon was supposed to replace Zigoni but he was injured a lot and De Giralomo replaced Zigoni's goals.

Going out we of course had Zigoni purchased for 250k, I sold two youngsters in Luca Fava and Capicchioni. Fava was really good but suffered the unfortunate illness of being Italian so I had no interest in developing him. Capicchioni I wanted to get some first team football because he wasn't developing fast enough but there were no takers for a loan so i just moved him on permanently in the hope they can do more with him than I did. We also got cash for a back-up players like Zandrini and Calvo. This is by far the most we've made selling players and contributed to a good year financially for the club.

Finances

2019-20 finances.PNG

A great year for the club financially. Our cup run earned us about a million and we made a lot selling players so we finished in the black with the club in good financial health as we enter Serie B. This isn't enough for the chairman though who's looking to move on from the club and after the money he had a to pour in at times to keep us afloat I don't blame him

#132.PNG

Tycoon please SI

Davide Colombini 5*

Mirko Bugli 5* (needs first team football)

Andrea Michelotti 4.5*

Roberto Mariotti 4* (gonna be sold, needs first team football but nobody wants to loan)

Misc

2019-20 de giralmo goal.PNG

Goal machine in the league as well as the cup. Although not rated highly this guy fired us to the title and to wins in the Cup. In my eyes a club icon for what he did for us this season with Zigoni sold. He will probably be moved on next season as I think Serie B might be too much for him, that said he did dominate Serie A teams in the cup :)

2019-20 stats.PNG

Domination.

#133.PNG

Now in a position to increase junior coaching which is nice.

><><><><><><>

So now we're in Serie B, only one more promotion and we'll be mixing it with the big boys of Serie A and earning millions. I'm enjoying this challenge I hope you're enjoying reading so far.

• 1 month later...

San Marino National Team - 2020 Update

(I still don't manage them yet)

Results

#137.PNG

Another year of the Nations League wielded some nice results for the national team with just three losses in 7 games. Highlight a 4-0 smashing of Andorra at home.

Ranking

#138.PNG

This saw them rocket up to an all time high of 184th in the World Rankings.

I'll probably take them over soon.

Season 2020/21 - Serie B

Season In Review - Solid Start To Life In Serie B

League Table

#139.PNG

Agonisingly close to the play-offs in our first season in Serie B although I don't think we would have done much damage in there had we made it, the squad just isn't really up to scratch.

Results

League

#140.PNG

#141.PNG

Second half of the season was a bit of a struggle for us but we finished it nicely.

Italian Cup

#142.PNG

Only made it to the third qualifying round this time with a ridiculous 7-5 loss to Chievo in extra time. 

Squad

#143.PNG

You will see Michelotti and Colombini are both starting. These two are academy products and San Marino nationality players who are currently starting for my team. Michelotti is actually my 2nd best CB so is deservedly starting whereas Colombini gets a bit of favouritism to start because he's still only young. De Girolamo and Bocalon were our strikers and they did a decent job up top for us, plenty of goals and assists.

Transfers

#144.PNG

As we moved into a new division there was quite a bit of turnover in the squad. Gasperi came in from parent club Cesena on a permanent deal and was fantastic. The other loanees didn't really do much. A lot of solid contributors signed. Going out we had Mirko Bugli on a free to Lazio, he just wasn't really good enough and was doing nothing so I sold him to Lazio in the hopes they can develop him better. Josh Lillis our #1 keeper decided he was homesick in January so I sold him to Newcastle and bought Moschin as a replacement who was much better.

Misc

We were taken over by a consortium however they're not overly rich and haven't invested anything into the club yet. I survived the takeover though which is cool I guess.

#146.PNG

A healthy wage budget for next season, hopefully we can push into Serie A.

Andrea Michelotti 5* (starts for first team)

Davide Colombini 5* (starts for first team, good little player)

Roberto Mariotti 4.5* (gonna be released, not good enough)

On 05/01/2017 at 12:28, MADA said:

did you have any issues with your youth intake in your first season using the database? I got to March and didn't get an intake. I'm now mid-April and still no youth intake for the whole of Italy. 

No I did not, came in in early March.

San Marino National Team - 2021 Update

(I didn't manage them this year, took over after the last fixture)

Results

#149.PNG

This was the year of World Cup qualifiers. Considering the national side usually get battered in these years they did themselves proud this year in what was the managers last year before he was fired for me. A 0-0 draw with Austria the highlight. Four goals scored on the year and all by players produced from San Marino Calcio (hence the * at end of name)

Ranking

#150.PNG

This positive year saw them rocked up to 164th. I've got a lot to live up to in my first year of managing the national side. Looking forward to it.

• 2 months later...

Season 2021/22 - Serie B

Season In Review - Play-Offs Collapse

League Table

58d2e3bbf1ae9_2021-2022Table.thumb.PNG.441e71079b159b81d9574bc5eb9378c0.PNG

League Results

58d2e3b812af8_2021-2022LeagueResultsPart1.thumb.PNG.a6a9cf062b92917bc3a8f090c46ba0f7.PNG

58d2e3b95aad7_2021-2022LeagueResultsPart2.thumb.PNG.e3df7b3d657f93a5d988946932820f45.PNG

Playoff Results

58d2e3ba5aca2_2021-2022Playoffs.thumb.PNG.08e01df16fca06d2f29fd498cc2602d6.PNG

Massive bottlejob, was very annoying.

Italian Cup Results

58d2e45d4e20d_2021-2022ItalianCup.thumb.PNG.4f2aa70d69fe63a4036b5d4a36e74270.PNG

Not much to write about here lol, pretty dire.

Best XI

58d2e3b53058d_2021-2022Best11.thumb.PNG.fa5c0c61cdffed7e8a4fa93e6d13baab.PNG

Season Thoughts

Overall this was a very good year for the club. We did well to make the play-offs in our second year and but for a terrible collapse could have gone a little further. However this early success was NOT a sign of things to come.

Season 2022/23 - Serie B

Season In Review - Wtf, massive drop off

League Table

58d2e9e768b28_2022-23LeagueTable.thumb.PNG.1fd7d9f12f91afca874a2fb4f52b36e6.PNG

So after finishing 4th last season we finished 13th and were honestly in danger of getting relegated before we pulled a few wins together. Sheesh.

League Results

58d2e9e4db100_2022-23LeagueResults1.thumb.PNG.25383c0301a833c101efed70e6664b1b.PNG

58d2e9e620d59_2022-23LeagueResults2.thumb.PNG.230b3b3a0e3b0a0c14d4fb73ed738197.PNG

Italian Cup Results

58d2e9e397704_2022-23ItalianCupResults.thumb.PNG.c20af0bf50d87cd5e049fa2b696010d9.PNG

Again we went out first round but not really a focus.

Best XI

58d2e9e27b8d6_2022-23BestXI.thumb.PNG.de7a8d79ec1789f71811cc8aa4cd3806.PNG

Season Thoughts

A season to forget as we continue to try and fight our way out of Serie B.

Season 2023/24 - Serie B

Season In Review - Another mediocre Serie B season

League Table

58d2ea9e559e1_2023-24LeagueTable.thumb.PNG.684cd40ad66acf869e5554107bc88fba.PNG

Another season stuck in this damn division, at this point the clubs finances were awful and I was forced to sell players to keep the club afloat.

League Results

58d2ea9b69e87_2023-24LeagueResults1.thumb.PNG.c03e704b0e70ed003e68bd77bbd7a3e5.PNG

58d2ea9cf2c2e_2023-24LeagueResults2.thumb.PNG.230836abca2bdc1e622d156a0dfdd34a.PNG

Italian Cup Results

58d2ea9937659_2023-24ItalianCup.thumb.PNG.09288c952403bfddb274cf6615975b97.PNG

We actually won our first game but got smacked away at Palermo. The Italian Cup is a pretty cruel mistress for small clubs as you don't really get paid anything until the later rounds.

Best XI

58d2ea98761aa_2023-24BestXI.thumb.PNG.cc25c7abb9d452bc2bafca42fc2b47d9.PNG

Season Thoughts

RUBBISH

Season 2024/25 - Serie B

Season In Review - Same old San Marino

League Table

58d2ec174209b_2024-25LeagueTable.thumb.PNG.c3f1911997d07916fc553659877466b5.PNG

Bleh, a horrible start killed any real promotion hopes but we finished strongly and this gave me hope for the next season, especially when Juventus agreed to loan POTY Marco Brega back to us.

League Results

58d2ec1463e27_2024-25LeagueResults1.thumb.PNG.f7f14c8f2ef6bde5a44f2e8c5ef9b649.PNG

58d2ec15cb7f9_2024-25LeagueResults2.thumb.PNG.7b6b6de84f6de4296568d3b30c0e7108.PNG

Italian Cup Results

58d2ec1838ca1_2024-2025ItalianCup.thumb.PNG.0fca930281ac39c1d59d2f7ec1e9859c.PNG

Fairly close to the next round but a loss on pens :(

Best XI

58d2ec12df42f_2024-25BestXI.thumb.PNG.666345568f341ed6450591ae088814b4.PNG

Season Thoughts

We finished amazingly and added some crucial pieces to the squad and with Marco Brega up front anything is possible, is next year the year we finally get out of here?

Season 2025/26 - Serie B

Season In Review - FINALLYYYYY

League Table

58d2ed8baac9b_2025-25LeagueTable.thumb.PNG.fc012691bdfb6405eca96f38e497eaea.PNG

WE ARE GOING UP SAY WE ARE GOING UP. Just about made it after a lengthy race with Udinese and Verona.

League Results

58d2ed8f9f86f_2025-26LeagueResults1.thumb.PNG.356684886bad3f0a40be9768e4b539e2.PNG

58d2ed910223f_2025-26LeagueResults2.thumb.PNG.beb489edff75f5662ccb2354cf747ff6.PNG

Italian Cup Results

58d2ed8e9faf9_2025-26ItalianCup.thumb.PNG.91d9e5dc0cb623494b60daf10545440f.PNG

Best XI

58d2ed8cc3f05_2025-26BestXI.thumb.PNG.75f1f89deced2bec95e5e50018b7dcf7.PNG

Season Thoughts

After years of stagnation we finally made it out of Serie B and as champions. This was a great season and I was delighted to finally move the save forwards. Massive shoutout to Juventus for loaning me Marco Brega who was unstoppable.

58d2ed8daca25_2025-26Brga.thumb.PNG.16ca7a8cf57e35ace2c09317bb1d2c28.PNG

Season 2026/27 - Serie A

Season In Review - Unbelievable First Year

League Table

58d2ee7103ff0_2026-27LeagueTable.thumb.PNG.05206383c6c93141b6ef0e0e5191924a.PNG

An amazing first season saw us finish 7th, considering we were predicted relegation this was a fantastic finish.

League Results

58d2ee6f9e27a_2026-27LeagueResults.thumb.PNG.a849d83942c474bb957663ffc0eb48f6.PNG

58d2ee6e929a3_2026-27LeagueResults2.thumb.PNG.bf46705ad6d0abcbbe5c2b7a6fa7d054.PNG

Italian Cup Results

58d2ee6d87861_2026-27ItalianCup.thumb.PNG.99e88b56f2c2485303b4439d3be7f743.PNG

Best XI

58d2ee6ccdcda_2026-27BestXI.thumb.PNG.216093b44d35d1d600724e6096fe7814.PNG

Transfers

58d2eefe84fab_2026-27Transfers.thumb.PNG.4ed644c774908dea77cd27452f322720.PNG

Now we're in Serie A we actually have a little cash to splash, went out and bought a few players. Key signings were Sakic who was immense when healthy (suffered an achilles injury early in the season) amd Althauser who played RWB for us.

Season Thoughts

Great start to life in Serie A, if we can keep this up we'll be in Europe in a few years no doubt.

San Marino National Team - Update

So now we're all caught up on the club, what about the national team? In the last update I mentioned I'd taken over the national team, well how have I got on?

58d2f1e72836f_NationalTeamResign.thumb.PNG.66c4d0a70120b3daa5bd83c9d490a2bc.PNG

I resigned. Long story short I took them over too early and it was just pointless. The players aren't there yet for me to compete and it was just gonna be thumpings for years and years. So in 2023 I quit and decided to focus on the club and giving the national team some players good enough for them to compete.

Right now they sit in 181st in the world and have barely moved since I left. Players like Andrea Canti, Andrea Michelotti and Mirko Bugli are in the 80 caps range now after coming through the academy in the game and there's a player on the way with genuine potential to be around for years to come, and that's at both the club and the national team.

Key Players
58d2f2e4de8ef_AndreaCanti2028.thumb.PNG.6b5a5b50064178c7ebceed0500841c2b.PNG

Canti is the Countrys leading goalscorer in history. 18 goals so far greatly surpasses Andy Selva's 8 goals. Canti left the club very early in his career as the board decided to sell him for 100k to Entella. His career hasn't really gone well since then as he barely ever got a game for 5 years before eventually dropping down to Serie C in search of regular football. He now plays in Serie D for Sondrio.
58d2f2e7c23e4_AndreaMichelotti2028.thumb.PNG.89c192ef394390ae792a0ee377d32c9d.PNG

Probably as of now the most talented player for the national side. He actually played for the club for a few years and was pretty good for me at times. However eventually in Serie B he just wasn't good enough and after 8 years I decided to move him on instead of letting him rot on the bench for the good of the National Team, he now plays in League 2 for Tranmere. At 86 caps by the age of 27 he's a shoe-in to make it to 100 caps. Great player.
58d2f409d94d6_DavideColombini.thumb.PNG.8a25d1dc6d8b13c3a645821649243955.PNG

Formerly the great hope of San Marino. Colombini quite frankly wasn't as good as I expected. I gave him first team football even way before he was ready to try and create a future star in the middle for the country but he was just never really good enough. He played 27 games in 2021/22 Serie B season at the age of just 19. However he was eventually released and now plays for Paganese in Serie C and has done for a number of years. 

Future Prospects
58d2f4d10b959_MarcoRenzi.thumb.PNG.66a32584642682034f93fcba0d2cabf0.PNG

There is only one to speak of who has a real future for the National Team as our academy (hopefully) pumps out some great players. Marco Renzi has a chance to be San Marino's keeper for 20 years if he can fulfil his potential. His 5* potential says he could be a superb player in the Serie A. To aid his development I've actually made him our #1 goalkeeper for the 2027-28 season despite him being 19 and not as good as other options. Although he may cost me a few points I'm hoping it'll be worth it in the future when we have a Serie A standard keeper in goal.

That is all the update for now. While I'm not managing the national team is kinda irrelevant, I'll update whenever we have some decent news or a good prospect comes through the youth intake. Forza Marco Renzi

Welcome back @rycl77!

I have very recently started this challenge... 10 matches played in serie D until now. Squad is slightly different, as i started with the 17.3.1 database. I don't have De Lucia, but I have some promising young midfielders.

It will be a looooooong road :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, fabreth said:

Welcome back @rycl77!

I have very recently started this challenge... 10 matches played in serie D until now. Squad is slightly different, as i started with the 17.3.1 database. I don't have De Lucia, but I have some promising young midfielders.

It will be a looooooong road :rolleyes:

Awesome, so glad to hear it because having people doing it with you makes it so much more motivating to post updates :D

Where in the table are you? I was quite glad to get out of Serie D first time asking as it was actually a lil hard

Good progress so far @rycl77 :applause:

Is there any chance we could see a copy of your Youth Intake each year please? (Maybe with just a profile pic of the best player too).

The reason this died a death in FM16 was that there was a bug in the game whereby after managing the National Team for 10 seasons, you got sacked irrespective of how well you did. It made the challenge impossible.

I'm not 100% sure that anyone has checked to see if the same bug exists in FM17 so hopefully you can confirm at some point that it doesn't.

Good luck.  :thup:

2 hours ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

Good progress so far @rycl77 :applause:

Is there any chance we could see a copy of your Youth Intake each year please? (Maybe with just a profile pic of the best player too).

The reason this died a death in FM16 was that there was a bug in the game whereby after managing the National Team for 10 seasons, you got sacked irrespective of how well you did. It made the challenge impossible.

I'm not 100% sure that anyone has checked to see if the same bug exists in FM17 so hopefully you can confirm at some point that it doesn't.

Good luck.  :thup:

Thanks for your comment,

Yeah I'll add that to the season reviews now, I usually always post it in my career updates thread and just posted it last night here if you want to see it, two absolute worldies have come through.

Haha oh God I hope they've rectified that :lol:

Season 2027/28 - Serie A

Season In Review - Meh

League Table

58d438af1de8c_2027-28SerieATable.thumb.PNG.d764b925a0df445929d1ee034b776def.PNG

Was hoping we'd have an outside chance of sneaking into the Europa League but it wasn't to be, we just need to score a bit more really. I'm in the market for a big time striker this summer.

Results

58d438ad5d6b8_2027-28SerieAResults.thumb.PNG.b7f65b7ca865788deafd4036d4512199.PNG

58d438aa5c9b0_2027-28SerieAResults2.thumb.PNG.18e2b117f3310cde8caf42122ba1e60c.PNG

58d438a1a07f9_2027-28ItalianCup.thumb.PNG.6bd503b89df3177ec721cc74dd964b0d.PNG

Our league form was pretty erratic and we had an absolute disaster end to the season with one win in 9 games which killed off any hopes of Europa. On the Italian Cup front we crashed out on pens again to Bologna. Ffs

Team Of The Season

58d438bf677ab_2027-28TOTY.thumb.PNG.e220fd8f26d9c5409385eaac3b3e2808.PNG

58d438b178eda_2027-28SerieATOTY.thumb.PNG.aa715e8e4162f7e842b02c11413926fc.PNG

We actually got two players into the Serie A TOTY which was a nice surprise, not sure how Grilli snuck in considering he went on a 10 game goal drought at one stage but Teqja for sure deserved it & cleaned up at the club awards too, he's the real deal.

58d438a069f70_2027-28IrdiTeqja.thumb.PNG.e0500a29c5914be44655a5edd3615bee.PNG

Got him on a pre-contract from Dortmund and he's by far our best player. He had a release clause of 4m for Champions League clubs so after about 4 games of the season where he'd scored 3 and assisted 2 I re-negotiated and gave him a pay rise to get rid of that clause. An absolute key player for us. I've lined up another pre-contract from Dortmund too, hopefully he lives up to Teqja.

Transfers

58d438c21ccd9_2027-28Transfers.thumb.PNG.daa2c12f91300c99ee369dcf0918bc88.PNG

I made quite a lot of signings, some of them pretty useless. For example Suk Hyun-Jun was signed to tutor but decided to retire in pre-season despite having signed for us about 3 weeks ago, this signing was also terrible because he's non-EU and you're only allowed 2 non-eu players (which I forgot). Key signings were Grilli & Teqja, the big signing Kandji was average and I'll probably move him on because I've got a good pre-contract LWB. In terms of players leaving I sold Di Silvio who was our #1 keeper so I could start Marco Renzi, a 19 year old keeper from San Marino. Other key departures included Da Silva-Lopes who helped us get out of Serie B and Jonas Petersson who was also instrumental in securing promotion.

58d43b3535204_2027-28Grilli.thumb.PNG.b5bde9936ed5f71e4971a4706572013c.PNG

Squad

58d438b4d80c3_2027-28Squad.thumb.PNG.abd41f22ca61da10eee86fad6429a742.PNG

Youth Intake

58d438c51b3b0_2027-28YouthIntake.thumb.PNG.3a13bee0e7285d27103f0749ace67744.PNG

Our youth intake this year was brilliant, the new facility upgrades paid off massively with not one but two 5* prospects from the beautiful country of San Marino. One is a goalkeeper who looks destined to be better than Marco Renzi and will probably start next season for us at the age of 17. Conti on the otherhand is a RB who with the right development looks like he could be a very solid player for us and hopefully first team material.

58d43bc88068a_2027-28MarcoZavoli.thumb.PNG.965b5991c03cec0acce2215d1e0f4b80.PNG

58d43bca0d6e8_2027-28MatteoConti.thumb.PNG.084976351c190600f621c2f906fd746a.PNG

New Stadium

58d438a732650_2027-28NewStadiumAnnounced.thumb.PNG.163a4b28c0d756207727bcb15acbb0c8.PNG

The board announced last year they were looking for a site for a new stadium and after the final Serie A game of the season they announced the San Marino stadium to be completed at the end of the 2029-30 season for a cost of £21,000,000. 16,000 seats will be a much needed upgrade for the club after we sold out out 5000 seater stadium every game for the past two seasons. The capacity of 16,432 means it will take more than 50% of the population of the country to fill :D

Season Thoughts

An okay season really, we fell apart a bit at the end but Europe was always a bit of a pipedream. One or two good signings and I think we can make it.

On 23/3/2017 at 00:46, rycl77 said:

Awesome, so glad to hear it because having people doing it with you makes it so much more motivating to post updates :D

Where in the table are you? I was quite glad to get out of Serie D first time asking as it was actually a lil hard

I'm on February now, and this is the situation. I'm leading with a discrete advantage for now.. we're favourites for promotion but it's not as easy as it seems.

mNcwnWY.jpg

58qtInQ.png

In the transfer market, I ransacked affiliated Cesena and some other for loans, plus a few on free. I'll post my main tactic too

g0CwdAq.png

1tyGbZ9.jpg

And now the first intake is near... let's hope it's good, but I don't put my heart in it :)

2017 Youth Intake

x62Mfwe.png

Not bad. Of course the stars potential are one of a Serie D team, so could not mean much... but Mariotti seems a great prospect. But that second nationality... There are also other potentially good sammarinese players.. let's see how they develop.

This is Mariotti

TNAM4aS.png

Season 2028/29 - Serie A

Season In Review - Europe Calling

League Table

58d9667f0b96d_2028-29LeagueTable.thumb.PNG.f11063a13ae61983c4e12ed9e57df6cb.PNG

58d96661a8783_2028-29EuropaLeagueQualification.thumb.PNG.2014ac67e324b97cd384ea8ce8df475b.PNG

Bang bang! A little bit fortunate to scrape into Europa League in the end with a very fluky result of Bari (18th) beating Fiorentina last game meaning we held onto 6th but I will defo take it. This means our last season at our current stadium will feature European football for the first time in club history. So happy we made it as we have been close in the past.

Results

58d96665c07bc_2028-29SerieAResults1.thumb.PNG.978fbb2099cbbd25afc04e03ea96fb2a.PNG

58d96667a39a6_2028-29SerieAResults2.thumb.PNG.039e03827b34fd127f959446abd4dd6e.PNG

We started out horrendously and at one stage I feared we would be battling relegation. In a desperate search for a bit of form I changed up the formation and tactics a little and added a CB and a CAM over having a DM and three in CM which greatly improved our form. We hit another roadblock about halfaway through but finished the season relatively strong.

58d9666471ec6_2028-29ItalianCup.thumb.PNG.e04d08cfb3a54a12a1cf88a4a6b764e5.PNG

We always seem to do terrible in the Italian Cup apart from one fluke run ages ago, knocked out by Empoli in the 4th qualifying round while I was undergoing a rough start to the season. I was 3-0 down in 15 minutes, terrible.

Team of the Season

58d966604b910_2028-29BestXI.thumb.PNG.fbc859b9664b6511e729c8a17728b8ad.PNG

Last year we managed to get two players into the Serie A team of the year but this year we had none. The two who made it into the Serie A TOTY Teqja and Grilli were both pretty awful this year. Grilli lost his place in the starting lineup and didn't even make the club TOTY and Teqja went from 14 goals & 6 assists in 32 games to 1 goal and 1 assist in 31 games. Tim Fritszche did well at the awards but I would argue that Gianluca Di Mitri was best player of the season.

58d968aeef025_DIMITRI.thumb.PNG.a4b9228d63d0e2d818cf4aadd6775b79.PNG

Transfers

58d9666b4c2d8_2028-29Transfers.thumb.PNG.5c0325b679fbdea66196bd4131898a84.PNG

I mentioned in the last season review I had another freebie from Dortmund joining and that was LWB Tim Fritschze who was very good this year. Blano and Pecoraco were both signed as tutors and didn't play a game. Arien How for 800k was an absolute steal, Fernandez on loan was superb this year. Juan Carlos was awful despite looking like he would be great. Di Mitri banged in 20 in the league and was exactly what we needed to get into Europe and Marcelo was meh but his stats are absolutely amazing and I'm hoping next year he will kick on and start to dominate.

58d9696ddc108_2028-29Marcelo.thumb.PNG.bb83e5d1519478e132bc9793fa7f692c.PNG

Squad

58d9666a06348_2028-29Squad.thumb.PNG.74b4a985f0ad57d3c5d0d97dbaaf4828.PNG

Squad Intake

58d9666ea9cef_2028-29YouthIntake.thumb.PNG.e9fc0d8265be1a20e3b0335680667c88.PNG

Our youth intake last season was simply incredible and this years wasn't much worse. Two 4.5* Sammarinese players means I can hardly complain.

58d9665e6ada6_2028-29ArzilliIntake.thumb.PNG.c9fabc3216ddb91e993a75dfa640f3e8.PNG

Arzilli will be a very key player for the National Team over the coming decade if he can develop properly. Center mids are always in demand so I will be paying extra attention to make sure he fulfils his potential. Will also be re-training him as a CAM just to make him more versatile.

58d9666d34ba6_2028-29VolpinariIntake.thumb.PNG.14cb2ba52fc3910326b9a63668306f62.PNG

Volpinari looks to be a good player but his biggest issue is that he's a winger. I'm re-training him to play as a CAM so he has more use for me but I don't use wingers at all.

Goodbye El Hilali

58d96663a4ae1_2028-29GoodbyeElHilali.thumb.PNG.134cdadb348e7d57cb33e2812f07ac0f.PNG

Club Legend (in my eyes) El Hilali will be moved on at the end of the season after 12 years at the club from Serie C to Serie A. He asked me for a move as his first team football was getting reduced and I'll let him go because he deserves it. A remarkably consistent player who never looked out of his depth even as we moved through the tiers. One of my all time favourite players on a Football Manager, he leaves as 'Favoured Personnel' which is a bit harsh considering we have players who were literally here on loan for 2 years in that category.

Season Thoughts 

Very happy with this season. Our last season at our 5000 seater stadium will feature European Football for the first time in club history. Onwards and upwards from here.

San Marino National Team - 2029 Update

My first year back in charge of the National Team after an 8 year exodus. Not a lot has changed, we still suck.

Results

58dc73453f83c_2029NationalTeamResults.thumb.PNG.63828fefb486055c813d861c68eccb40.PNG

A full slate of losses other than a solid draw at home to Armenia. Needless to say we didn't qualify for the World Cup. We scored 4 goals which is decent with some goals against teams like Italy & Russia but we're still miles and miles off competing for qualification. I think it could be a decade before we're competitive in groups.

Ranking

58dc73aa9e8e5_2029NationalTeamRanking.PNG.a6ecb0453e4fa2acd615c47421066d37.PNG

We're not exactly flying up the world rankings after 7 losses and a draw.

The Traitors

This section is dedicated to the players who possess the dreaded dual-nationality of Sammarinese and Italian and think they're better than their country of birth and reject San Marino for Italy. These players are a big issue as in a few years they will be considered to be the best San Marino players but not playing for the National Team.

58dc742dd05eb_2029ArzilliRejectingCall-up.PNG.fc2acf1b150280813905fcaf1df6d7bd.PNG58dc74370ab31_2029ArzilliStats.thumb.PNG.c0585abb862aa72850e40b7e0c49aa49.PNG

Andrea Arzilli has the potential to be an absolute stud for us in the middle of the park where we desperately need a bit of quality to play alongside Davide Colombini. However as of right now he's rejecting all call-ups from me in favour of waiting for a call-up for the Italian under-19's. I don't know if this guy has what it takes to start for Italy's full national side in a few years but even if he can't it could be a long few years before I get my hands on this guy for the country.

58dc74bd8e845_2029ContiRejectingCallup.PNG.812a2c5bb9f24b18863b14cf3f8e21b1.PNG58dc74b77630d_2029ContiStats.thumb.PNG.eff72782891c30f4969138e8efcce2fb.PNG

Conti is a little bit different to his fellow traitor Arzilli as he's actually playing for Italy Under19's already, note his listed nationality on his stats page is Italian but I can assure you he was born and bred Serravalle, San Marino. I think this guy could be an issue because if he develops properly I reckon he has an outside chance of gaining a full Italian cap. So I'm faced with the dilemma of not wanting him to get too good that he plays for Italy but wanting him to be good enough to still be great for when he decides to come and play for San Marino. Hmm.

Main Players

58dc756542a79_2029CantiStats.thumb.PNG.b74e9a3d2cd5d4aa9e9bda163f89940d.PNG58dc7566c46a4_2029MichelottiStats.thumb.PNG.1e8bb07e9d18e917be76dc6f1ab527ee.PNG58dc7567d315a_2029ZavoliStats.thumb.PNG.3992aea16a028d10d480481b50848fd5.PNG

We know all about Zavoli, he's the starting keeper for San Marino Calcio at age 17 and has a massive future ahead of him for both club and country, a gem of a player not infected with the disease of dual nationality. Michelotti was a player who came through our academy, had a good few years at the club and was moved on to England where he plays for Tranmere. He's head and shoulders above any other defender in the squad. Canti is the record goalscorer for the nation, he left the club very early for Entella but his career never took off and he now plays in Serie D, he's great in the air.

Records

58dc75fe915aa_2029Michelotti100caps.PNG.17fd38435bf5467640f6c3810b07c0ff.PNG

Michelotti already has 100 caps for the country aged 29 and looks a shoe-in to break Elia Benadettini's 112 cap record. Elia actually retired recently perhaps sensing his days as San Marino GK were over with the arrival of Renzi and Zavoli on the scene.

58dc7686ef321_2029Mostgameswithoutwinning.thumb.PNG.3210ebd49abe25cd5df98eef0cb9e58f.PNG

We also broke the record for most games without a win at 37 and this record continues to grow as of this day. Here's to hoping there's a win around the corner.

I'm thinking about giving this a go. I have always wanted to give this a go but have never got round to it.

Quick question... Can you start with the international job as well as the club one or do you have to wait for it to become available?

14 hours ago, Watson156 said:

I'm thinking about giving this a go. I have always wanted to give this a go but have never got round to it.

Quick question... Can you start with the international job as well as the club one or do you have to wait for it to become available?

Hi, thanks for your interest. You can take it whenever you want, just add a manager and retire him to make the job available :)

Season 2029/30 - Serie A

Season In Review - A little improvement

Serie A

58dfb51315c7e_2029-30LeagueTable.thumb.PNG.34772eba52d71fcd82811e37f9185f95.PNG

We moved up one spot from last season, finishing 6th this time around. A lack of ability to pick up points against the big boys and a few frustrating draws was the difference between us and the top four. 13 draws is far too many for us to be competitive. Still we retain Europa League status for next season which is always nice as we move into our new stadium.  Highlight was a 7-0 win over bottom feeders Carpi and the lowlight was a 2-0 loss away to Livorno who finished 15th. Lazio finished dead last and it wasn't even close, might have to raid them for any good players they have.

Italian Cup

58dfb5f932dbc_2029-30ItalianCup.thumb.PNG.58826ea558fa5118f4a15aa275f31c43.PNG

Same old story in the Italian cup. Cruised through in our first match and disappointed in the next. Don't let the 4-3 scoreline fool you, it was 4-0 to AC Milan by halftime, I went on contain to just keep the score low and somehow ended up scoring 3 and almost getting back into it. Wouldn't have complained if we did but we threw the game away in the first half. The Italian Cup is our best chance of silverware but the way it's seeded is terrible and makes it much harder as you're guaranteed to be away from home against the likes of Roma & Juve at some stage.

Europa League

58dfb6b913e03_2029-30EuropaLeagueResults.thumb.PNG.56a49b8862a031795d7ec2ad4fe21205.PNG

Our first season in Europe was a tad disappointing. A 10-1 drubbing of minnows Zilina got us into the play-offs where we saw off Austia Wien. The group stage is where we fell. We went into the last game vs Feyenoord needing a win to go through and knock them out but they parked the bus and got the 0-0. So frustrating.

Transfers

58dfbc41a74e5_2029-30Transfers.thumb.PNG.d2f2ecba82018a55b2085ed0419b570b.PNG

Spent 17.5m and re-couped 20m, did some good business in this window and feel like we did get stronger. 

Notable Departures - Mattia El Hilali left the club after 12 years of service, a real legend who came from Serie C to Serie A with us. He wasn't getting football and asked to move on so I had to let him go.

Zdislaw Krupski was signed from Dortmund and was amazing for us at CB for a number of years but continually asked for moves away. Decided to cut losses and move him on and in return I signed two stud CB's for the same cost as we sold him.

Noteable Signings - Hassan Nwakaeme was on the transfer list at Man United for 4.4m, his stats were outstanding and he came with the tag of wonderkid, who can say no to that for 4.4m? Signed him up straight away, good player but a bit inconsistent atm.

Cristian Martino was another CB on the transfer list for a similar price. A bit older than Nwakaeme but a bit more polished. He slotted right into the side and was solid for us, althought I'd like an improvement on his 6.8 avg match rating next season.

Andrey Vasilchenko stands out for his price tag, 9.25m was a lot of money for a guy I was never sure on. My scouts rated him very highly as a RWB and we desperately needed an improvement there, I couldn't really see why they were so certain he was amazing but I trusted my scouts and brought him in from PSG in Jan. With a 7.08 avg match rating he played well and gave us the upgrade we wanted in the RWB role.

Best XI

58dfbf155b6a2_2029-30BestXI.thumb.PNG.d54a0a450d3912c516617f6f993c318d.PNG

Tim Fritzsche had another good year and took the fans player of the season, I'd have probably given it to Kaan Seker but Fritzsche is a good choice.

Kaan Seker stepped up massively this season for us and ended with 19 league goals, 6 assists, 7 MoTM's and an average rating of 7.26. I was considering selling him at the start of the season but he was immaculate and better than Di Mitri this season to be honest.

Marco Zavoli continued his rise to the top of football with a stellar season. He's now rated as a Serie A level keeper at the age of 17 and the amount of first team football he's been getting since 15 played a big role. He made 49 appearances for club & country this year which is a crazy amount of experience for someone so young. He broke the club record for clean sheets, conceded less goals than he played games in the league (35 goals conceded in 38 games) and finished with an average rating of 7.04. This guy is San Marino's goalkeeper for the next 20 years in my opinion, BALLER.

Youth Intake

58dfc11ba4a58_2029-30YouthIntake.thumb.PNG.467dfd1aae9f9ed429595a7a5bbdbea3.PNG

An average youth intake this year with two Sammarinese 4*'s and a few 3*'s, of which one is a keeper and effectively useless as I've got much better options available there. Four star potential now however is a very good Serie A player so these players can expect to feature heavily if they reach their potential and could be supporting cast to the stars of the future.

58dfc1177820a_2029-30MassimoColonnayouthIntakeday.thumb.PNG.9a3ebe9f90024ee235442a9d34f710c6.PNG

Massimo Colonna is a central defender with single nationality so he will be thrown into the National side as soon as possible as we're in dire need to capable CB's to go alongside Michelotti. He looks to be a promising defender and with a bit of improvement will easily be Serie A standard in my opinion. Very happy to have this guy with us and I think he will be a big asset for years to come, more so if we play with 3 CB's.

58dfc118c84c4_2029-30MassimoMichelottiYouthIntake.thumb.PNG.5d70575a55ec21729249485fe203a41f.PNG

Another Massimo but it's Michelotti this time who's of no relation to 100 cap San Marino legend Andrea Michelotti. Massimo is a right back which could be an issue for him if I can pry the immensely talented Matteo Conti from the clutches of Italy. If I can't and I expect it'll take a few years for Conti to come to his senses maybe Massimo Michelotti can be a nice stop gap and give us some decent quality. 9 determination will need a bump so I'll get into tutoring and re-training him to play RWB so he fits my system but his stats are largely very solid ATM. 

58dfc11a1a7a4_2029-30RegginiYouthIntake.thumb.PNG.0f97bee56feb8688ea701b38d08b92d2.PNG

For years the goalscoring burden of a nation has rested on the shoulders of Andrea Canti, a targetman who came through my academy when we were in the depths of Serie C. An immensely talented youngster he fled the club for Virtus Entella and while never fulfilling his potential he has been a prolific (by San Marino standards) goal threat for the country pretty much on his own. Finally it looks like we have someone who will at least be better than him even if his 3* potential doesn't exactly make me drool. A strong finisher with amazing determination I think this kid will end up breaking Andrea Canti's goalscoring record of 20 goals and counting, you heard it here first.

Facilities.thumb.PNG.17f37dfd8a2c4249fcf87763212b031e.PNG

For anyone who wanted to see the state of my facilities here they are. They've come a very long way since I started and we're now at the stage where we can expect at least 1 Serie A level starter from San Marino a season, we're just waiting on the star without dual nationality.

58dfc1b5be842_MichelottiRejection.PNG.25cd51a589c7b6fe26529d6a07507c90.PNG58dfc1b8f1a7e_RegginiRejection.PNG.2c027b22e5c4c23bc7513ea5f67d9c19.PNG

And predictably neither of those with Dual Nationality are interested in playing for San Marino right now, sigh.

@Watson156Welcome! Just as an advice, maybe it's better to wait for the national team until you build up the club

@rycl77Aren't you fast? Another season.. and a good one! In time the national team could become a decent squad, and the club is big now. How's your balance? And just a curiosity, can you post a screen of your HOYD?

4 hours ago, fabreth said:

@Watson156Welcome! Just as an advice, maybe it's better to wait for the national team until you build up the club

@rycl77Aren't you fast? Another season.. and a good one! In time the national team could become a decent squad, and the club is big now. How's your balance? And just a curiosity, can you post a screen of your HOYD?

Lucky for me I'm a student with a lot of free time so I blast through seasons haha, the joys of little responsibilities. 

Balance has hovered around 8m for the past few yrs while building a new stadium, we lose money over the season because of the stadium debt but make it all back when we TV money etc. Although this will all change as I move into a 15k stadium next season

and here's my HOYD, he joined last season and is a beast. 

HOYD.thumb.PNG.1e1ef4294d2fafaa4329d46c2f297bc0.PNG

14 hours ago, fabreth said:

I think that I will take your advice and wait until I am in a better position with the club team. Does the current manager ever leave the team?

San Marino Calcio

Season 1 Review

This season was all about getting promoted at the first season. Thankfully we managed to do that. It wasn’t until writing this season review that I realized quite how dominant we had been. We won the league by 12 points but as you can see on the combined screen, at home we were unbeaten and only conceded 6 goals all season and never more than 1 in a game.

Initially I wanted to win the Serie D Cup but it became more about resting my main league players and giving the rest of the players game time and the opportunity to push for a league role. We never really impressed and the worse thing about the way we knocked out is that I forgot to change to my Cup team!

The main transfer philosophy this year was very simple, loan in players for the league season. We loaned in 7 players at the start of the year and the a further one in January. All of the players coming in on loan were bought in without paying anything and this is key while the finances are in a mess. The added bonus of bringing in loan players is that if they start to moan about a lack of game time then they can just be sent back to their parent clubs and we are no worse off. The free transfers of Mazzolli & Verdun were key signings and both were a big part of our first team this season.

As expected the finances are a mess although I feel that it could be worse. I will hopefully try to bring in some big money friendlies during the pre-season but I think the finances are probably going to be in the red until we can get into Serie B/A. A good cup run would probably be helpful next season but just like this season the cup isn’t going to be as important as the league.

Other News

Following our promotion from Serie D we have have become a professional team. While it will probably take a year or two to get all players sorted onto professional contracts the most important thing for me was that I could employ some more coaches as our training will need to be improved as we move up the leagues.

I forgot to take a screenshot of the youth intake which wasn’t great for San Marino players although the best prospect Sebastiano Di Giorgio has already received his full international cap before he has even played for our first team. Hopefully next year I can integrate him into the first team and try to improve him. Maybe he can break Andy Selva’s record of 72 caps?

San Marino National Team

Overview | 2016 Fixtures | 2017 Fixtures | World Rankings

2016/17 Review

So far the national team has really surprised me. Their worst defeat has only been 3-0 including a visit from World Champions Germany, and even better than that a 1-1 draw at home to Northern Ireland. The scoreline doesn’t reflect the full scale of the game though as you can see. So close to a famous home win. A draw to Gibraltar at home rounded of a very promising year for the national team. 2017 started with a disappointing result at home to Azerbaijan but they quickly got over that loss with a win away to Gibraltar. Although they lost the next game to the Czechs to only lose 1-0 to a side ranked 44th in the world is a step in the right direction.  

6 hours ago, Watson156 said:

I think that I will take your advice and wait until I am in a better position with the club team. Does the current manager ever leave the team?

He left eventually on mine but it just depends really, not too strict on how you get the job, if you feel like you're ready just add a manager to the national team and retire him so the job is free. Although the first few years are largely useless as there's not much you can do with them because they're awful.

Great first season btw man, that Di Giorgio looks like he could be a nice little player in time and is a nice pickup for Serie D intake. Good luck in Serie C!

On ‎02‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 14:33, rycl77 said:

He left eventually on mine but it just depends really, not too strict on how you get the job, if you feel like you're ready just add a manager to the national team and retire him so the job is free. Although the first few years are largely useless as there's not much you can do with them because they're awful.

Great first season btw man, that Di Giorgio looks like he could be a nice little player in time and is a nice pickup for Serie D intake. Good luck in Serie C!

Thanks a lot, I have high hopes for Di Giorgio as long as I can find him a place to play!

Having a bit of a brain fade, but can players still qualify to represent San Marino if they have played at the club for 5 seasons? Same as lived in the country for 5 years?

1 hour ago, Watson156 said:

Thanks a lot, I have high hopes for Di Giorgio as long as I can find him a place to play!

Having a bit of a brain fade, but can players still qualify to represent San Marino if they have played at the club for 5 seasons? Same as lived in the country for 5 years?

I don't think so no

San Marino National Team - 2030 Update

We finally had a breakthrough year for the National side which saw us end a 34 game run of no wins and a number of great results.

Results

58e2776beb8f4_2030NationalTeamResults.thumb.PNG.acb7376a3f10a345a30b950a836b2d24.PNG

3 wins and a solid draw against Slovakia mean this way the best year so far for the National side. Even in defeats we didn't embarrass ourselves with credible losses to Estonia. I scheduled a few easy friendlies for us such as the US Virgin Islands to get a few wins under our belt. Canti banged in four against them and added 5 more goals to the goalscoring record this year.

Ranking

58e2776de99f4_2030NationalTeamRanking.PNG.c6022cf77f6cc6cc65a0897ca0b5bcb7.PNG

Our good year saw us move from 189th to 171st, a nice move.

The Traitors

This section is for any updates on players with both Sammarinese and Italian nationalites that are holding out from the San Marino National Team in the hopes of playing for Italy. I'm sad to report there hasn't been any changes yet with multiple players still rejecting us for Italy.

Matteo Conti is a Serie A level starting RB/RWB at the age of 19 but continues to chase his dream of playing for Italy. He's been picking up caps for them at U20 level and because he's so good it will probably be a while before he fully gives up on it which is massively annoying. I want to give him more first team football to further his development but if he becomes so good and gets a single cap for Italy it's game over for the best Sammarinese outfielder around at the minute. I remember @kandersson used to freeze these guys out in the reserves and it's something I might have to do until he's willing to accept the call from San Marino. A dilemma.

Andrea Arzilli is a high potential central midfielder who's only just turned 18. We really need good CM's but this guy refuses any call-up I offer him and has done for years sadly. He has interest from Arsenal which shows the potential he has but I'm reluctant to give him game time while he's holding out for Italy. He's 18 and has never had a call-up for Italy U19's atm so I'm hoping eventually he gives up and comes to San Marino because I would give him so much gametime at the club. Come home Arzilli.

The other guys who came through in last years youth intake are also still holding out but they're still 16 so not a massive issue at the moment.

Records

58e284d1633ba_AndreaCanti100Caps.PNG.6ad7762fbef62fe5a5ece5ac9cf99eb4.PNG

Andrea Canti reached 100 caps this year. He has an exceptional return rate in goals considering the team he plays for with 1 goal every 4 games roughly and is without doubt a legend in this country. He holds the goalscoring record and will do for some time in my opinion, especially if he can add to it.

5833afdf34653_sanmarinologosmall.png.907

San Marino Calcio - Season 1

Serie D

There was only one way to go. Win the league, get out of here immediately. After all, we were favourites. After 20 matches all seemed easy enough, with 8 points of advantage over the 2nd. Bu then, a little crisis brought us down to the 2nd place, and then Pineto never failed to win a match..until the last. We were ready, won our match and the league. Phew... that was close!

Squad

So much loans, with some important signings, as Furlan and Aracri, who were very important. Some of Cesena loans are renewed for next season, and Ranieri, Scapin, Sbampato and Kaleba are renewed for 2 seasons. With our finances loans are and will be very important.

Sammarinese youth watch

Remember Mariotti? Well, forget him, at least for the team. On the last day of next season market, Torino came with an offer our president can't refuse. On the bright side that means that he could be a potential Serie A player... the problem is that he has italian second nationality.

Podeschi is an interesting defender, and without second nationality. Tutoring already gave him a discrete mentality and determination, and he already capped in San Marino U21 (well, not that there is much competition for the role...). A potential Lega Pro player, but for the national team, that means an important player.

Season 2030/31 - Serie A

Season In Review - Best Season Yet

Serie A

58ecbc3326a75_2030-31SerieATable.thumb.PNG.689baeeae072e5a18672533dd673cf9c.PNG

Our best finish ever, 2nd in Serie A. We had a long and arduous fight with Roma and Inter for the 2nd and 3rd positions which qualify for the CL and the 4th position which goes to Europa. We secured Champions League with 1 game to spare as results went our way. Our first time in the Champions League which I'm really excited about. Juventus won the league with a ridiculous 100 points and 0 losses. They were unbelievable this year and it could be a while before we're ready to challenge them.

Italian Cup

58ecbcc217269_2030-31ItalianCupResults.thumb.PNG.5c8f26ddd974cf5767658a0023a0540b.PNG

Same old same old in this stupid competition. Knocked out early yet again. I just can't ever seem to do well in this tournament and it's getting annoying.

Europa League

58ecbcea6b7f0_2030-31EuropaLeagueResults.thumb.PNG.fea83c24ecc749cb6f70b9578394f163.PNG

Europa League went a little bit better than last year as we made it out of an admittedly weaker group. The knockouts were annoying as we won 1-0 away to Villarreal and then got battered in our own backyard 3-0. I should have altered the tactics to defend our lead better but I went Wenger and ran with the same tactics that worked in the first leg :/.

Transfers

58ecbd615a2f3_2030-31TransferHistory.thumb.PNG.d3b7f0c17b058deb414ef247aeb01cc3.PNG

Once again we spent less than we received and used the money to improve the wage budget.

Notable Departures - Gianluca Di Mitri the main striker of the last two years was moved on. A good debut season followed up by a mediocre second meant I was open to signing a different striker if the right one came up and when I saw Marcel I knew it was time for Di Mitri to go.  

Hassan Nwakaeme was also sold for a pretty good fee but this still annoyed me. He was our best center half and the board sold him without my consent even though we are more than good for money at the moment.

Notable Signings - Marcel was the replacement for Di Mitri. A Brazilian wonderkid it was a no brainer to get him in and he proved that decision to be correct as he finished the season with 21 league goals and 8 assists. He will only get better from here.

Mikael Diarrassouba came in on a free and slotted into the CAM role and had a stellar season with 6 goals, 13 assists and avg rating of 7.29.

Best XI

58ecbff185162_2030-31TOTY.thumb.PNG.cc20cb5da2fb48b33f53e22e6548c591.PNG

Tim Fritzsche once again walked to the player of the season, the fans just love the guy. 71% of the votes is pretty crazy although an avg rating of 7.30 he probably deserved it.

Marco Zavoli was once again the only Sammarinese player to make the XI and will be for a while, he conceded less goals than the year before and finished with a 7.05 avg rating.

Marcel was the main goalgetter and will be for years.

Youth Intake

58ecc16d4d585_2030-31YouthIntake.thumb.PNG.f4a0e91ef3e96ca6a7239f275a87da06.PNG

Worst youth intake since we got to Serie A.

58ecc18935d9c_2030-31Chiaruzzi.thumb.PNG.3e4a7abba22d20de449d28d3a9f7c479.PNG

Best player from San Marino, winger though and I don't have massive hopes for him to be honest. A youth intake to forget.

San Marino National Team - 2031 Update

The year of the goals for us as we scored in nearly every single game we played and shot up the world rankings with one huge result.

Results

58f528ba9d6ca_2031NationalTeamResults.thumb.PNG.2277eb20d7deaabb199762af4f477806.PNG

Two important things to note here in my opinion. The first is the amount of goals we scored, the only game we didn't score a goal in was one of our best results a draw vs Hungary, besides that we scored against everyone including Belgium and Russia. This shows the progress being made that I feel confident enough to roll with a more attacking style than I used to use and as a result we're bagging goals. 

And the second is the fantastic result against Kosovo. Kosovo were ranked in the 70's when they came to play us and we sent them packing with a 1-0 win. We took the lead early and I parked the bus with tremendous success, we never looked like conceding and even when we did Zavoli saved anything that came his way. This result alone propelled us about 60 places up the world rankings to our highest ever point.

Ranking

58f528b9af809_2031NationalTeamRanking.PNG.7d395eef687b2621e07f8e9187b5ba32.PNG

Highest we've been under my tenure and getting close to the San Marino record of 118th set in 1998, although I feel this is a bit of a false position based off of just one result vs Kosovo. Either way it's nice to be closer to 100 than 200 :)

Records

58f528b8e16b0_2031NationalTeamCapRecord.PNG.5b036436845e9970725bb7765880e7b1.PNG

Satisfying to have a player who came through our academy hold the caps record for the country. At 31 he still has a few years left yet too, awesome player and I love him a lot.

Season 2031/32 - Serie A

Season In Review - More Improvement and Silverware

Serie A

58fe9ad6a650d_SerieA.thumb.PNG.11ec39e565e1a47c6edbade16f389ea1.PNG

Juve too good again and I expect this to be the case for a few more years until Allegri retires, they've just got a much better team. At least they lost some games this year.

Champions League / Europa League

CL.thumb.PNG.c66272e600a5b80a76ee23b8cf2f5c97.PNG

Europa.thumb.PNG.436d6dcc9c5aaa4ec65945ff4fc0c829.PNG

Went out in the Group Stages of the Champions League finishing 3rd, realised in the screenie I've messed up the order of the fixtures but I need to not lose away to City in the last game but lost 2-0. Went into the Europa, beat Ajax and amazingly Arsenal on away goals which I was chuffed with and thought we'd go all the way only to be smashed by injuries and bottle it to Sassuolo who we usually smash in the league. Shame.

Italian Cup

58fe9ad4677e4_ItalianCup.thumb.PNG.8ab8868fc66b690deb846715f87d4156.PNG

58fe9ad2efdbd_ItalianCupWin.thumb.PNG.1cb116fe52fe49ff00c6d8a92093e639.PNG

The title promised silverware and I'm glad to finally deliver a major trophy for the club. After years and years of doing awful in this tournament we went all the way and beat Juve in the final which was mega sweet. I shifted up the tactics and tried to play on the counter but in the end we undone them on set pieces with one free-kick and a header from a free-kick, Zavoli sealed the win with a penalty save. Awesome.

Transfers

Transfers.thumb.PNG.f96471e89e3bfd61af0e9e640a4d1243.PNG

Transfers were largely pretty tame, only one real contributor brought in as the board were stingy on funds but what a signing he was.

Key Arrivals - Mickyle Gertse came in to play as the second striker with Marcel giving us two elite scorers up top. Finishing with 29 goals and 11 assists with a 7.29 avg match rating he was more than worth the money.

Key Departures - None.

Best XI

TOTY.thumb.PNG.a066f3ea0c4c7dc2502f5d4e0085d389.PNG

Fritzsche wins POTY again as per usual, goal of the season scored by a youngster who played about twice. I've started to get a few academy lads involved now but some are just Italians so don't hold much relevance. I can't afford to play dual nationality players too much in case Italy decides they're good enough for a dreaded callup so it's a slow process at the minute. 

Youth Intake

58fe9adba8cdf_YouthCandidate.thumb.PNG.0b86ee7938613b8f074730be9847ea74.PNG

Again not a lot to shout about, Valli looks like a good player but of course he's dual nationality and rejecting call-ups.

58fe9ada99790_ValliST.thumb.PNG.90b148d7071946f0c48f7a797fbe34f4.PNG

Takeover

Takeover..thumb.PNG.5b83d19d816f6d7c12e14fa59b649ef2.PNG

Potential takeover coming, should be interesting.

Archived