Sports Interactive Community
stockportguy86

How often do you rotate your squad?

As the title says, do you ever consider rotating your squad even if you are conceding stupid goals?. I mean I don't mind keeping the same squad but want to get the most

out of my team. I mean if I keep the same side week in, week out, it comes repetitive and boring.  

I only rotate full squad if it's for an unimportant game (friendly, or dead-end cup).

Otherwise I rotate only one player. I may rotate up to 3, if the game is not crucial, but performance may drop...

You should be continuously introducing new and youth players into your first team squad regardless of form. Neglecting that results in a Leicester 2016/17 Premier League syndrome!

Concerning rotating the whole first team, I have to do that whenever I have midweek fixtures. My young lower-league players don't have the stamina to play Sat-Wed-Sat, so I have to change my 10 outfield players. If I'm short in one position, the guy gets a rest from training between games. 

I regularly rotate as many as 6 or 7 players for midweek games, never seems to affect performance.

I aim to rotate 3/4 players every match.

So overall one player will play maybe 3/4 matches in a row then drop to the bench or rest for 1/2 matches.  The trick is not to rest all your best players at the same time.

43 minutes ago, stockportguy86 said:

do you just change the players and not the tactic?

You should view tactics as something that is continuously tweaked depending on the opposition and what is happening.

I have three different formations in my three slots, each match I choose the one which I think will work best and then tweak it both before & during to suit what is happening.

1 hour ago, stockportguy86 said:

I have 2 4-4-2 tactics which I use and will decide which one I will start with depending on the opposition and requirement for the game. One is a Defensive/Fluid patient build up tactic, whilst the other is a Standard/Very Fluid pressing tactic. I don't tweak my chosen tactic prior to the game but will make mentality and shape changes (and occasional TI changes to adjust to what I see in the match). I am also still tweaking my pressing tactic as I go along as I'm still not sure of what roles I prefer in midfield.

2 hours ago, stockportguy86 said:

My two familiar tactics are 442 Control and 442 Counter. I groom all my players to fit the formation. When I change players I change the roles, e.g in central midfield either an advanced playmaker for Control or Ball-winning midfielder for Counter.

I usually rotate the entire starting eleven for mid-week games. Well, perhaps not the goalkeeper.

I do this to try and keep squad players happy and also because I like to think a fully fit second string should do okay against the opponents tired first team. 

I rotate all the time, giving as many players as possible playing time. I do this both to get my youth players some games, and to preserve player condition better than other teams. I try to not change things wholesale, a few changes per match. I find this has some real benefits come the end of the season.

The only position I rarely rotate is goalkeeper and defence. I am not sure if that is because it works less well, or I believe it makes me defend worse.

What's the minimum % that you'd play a player with - if less than 92% then I bench

22 minutes ago, Fritz13 said:

What's the minimum % that you'd play a player with - if less than 92% then I bench

If I had to maybe 85%.

Less than that is almost certainly a no, above that it depends on the options.

Always seems pointless to start with someone who you now you'll need to sub after 55-60 mins - anything less than 90% seems to guarantee that :(

I do lot of rotation unless the options available aren't good or I realize a huge performance drop. The media tell me that I'm the manager that used more players on my current season 28 and put a question related with that

Stamina is the main reason for me rotating players. Most of my team can't handle midweek games for more than a week or so which results in about 3-5 being rotated. I do also like to insert 1 or 2 promising youngsters if the opposition aren't too good, there's nothing better than seeing a youth team player finding his feet in the first team

I tend to rotate a lot, usually based on whoever performed poorly in the last match or condition is not fully there. Did question my rotation at the start of the season but now coming towards the end of the season i can see it has paid off as a lot of my youngsters have improved significantly.

On my first save I just played the top 11 unless one of them was injured. I did work and was quick 'n' easy.

With my new save I do rotate a lot more. I've 22-25 players in my senior squad. At the beginning of the season I set my Top11 and adjust my 5 subs so that I have 1 gk, 2 def, 1 mid, 1 str. This way I'm flexible enough to sub players out. I will use my defenders as defensive midfielders and the midfielders usually more attacking.

Every game I sort my players by last 5 games and I have a quick look around. I like to switch the bench with the best performing players and if a player performs badly in the starting formation he's out (mostly not even a sub at that moment).

I also look at games missed and if a player missed 7-10 games he'll be on the bench regardless.

Currently I don't have to look at fitness as we don't play too many matches. But injuries are a bigger problem for me, so I have to make sure my whole squad is ready to play.

This might be the worst system out there, but it does work for me, so I'm good right now ;-)

I rotate based on condition firstly, no player starts below 90%. Secondly on form, if a first team player is on a poor run of form I would drop him for a 2-3 games and give a squad player a chance.

I attempt to have around 3 adequate players per position to allow for injuries to the first team, 1 of which would ideally be a youth player. I do occasionally have squad players kicking up a fuss with this approach though.

Other than the goalkeeper, I rotate almost every game in every position. Pretty much have two teams, one for the Premier League and one for the Champions League and other cups.

I probably rotate anywhere from 2-5 players every game. It mainly depends on form. I'm reluctant to sit a player coming off a good game or even when they've been steadily improving their performances over a few games, I like to continue that.