Pochettino 4-2DM-3-1

I meant to upload this tactic last season when I completed my usual challenge of winning the PL in my first season as Spurs without any signings, but never found the time (instead trying the same tactic with Espanyol and managed to win the league with them; all be it after 3 seasons). 

This year I started the same test; not just winning the league as without any signings but also completing a domestic treble and only losing the CL Final 2-0 to PSG. 

The tactic is based on Poch's 4-2-3-1 at Spurs (or at least the one he used so well last year before mucking about with 4-1-4-1, 3-4-1-2 and 4-1-2-1-2 this season ....) but uses 2 DM's as opposed to the 2 CM's most versions of those tactics trying to replicate Poch's systems use (and the game continually suggests switching to). 

Using a Half Back is essential as he'll effectively turn the shape into a 3-3-3-1 with the wing backs (Rose / Walker) bombing forward. Deploying the other DM as a Roaming Playmaker is the other part of what makes this tactic tick. He'll be an outlet for GK distribution and carry the ball upfield with his dribbling. This is exactly what Dier and Dembele did last season at Spurs and cannot be replicated using CMs. The Roaming Playmaker gets forward a lot. 

The rest is intuitive. One Advanced Playmaker and Two Inside Forwards (or One Advanced playmaker on the left, one AM in the middle and an IF on the right - if Eriksen and Alli are playing) all on a support duty and Kane as an AF (I've tried him as a CF with Attack Duty, but as an AF he scored 44 in 41). 

The system is Fluid and almost every game is using a Control mentality (switching to Attack if I fall behind).  

Opposition Instructions say to close down anyone who will have the ball in the middle of the park - only NOT closing down always the opposition MR / AMR and ML / AML (these guys get tackled hard instead). AMC's and ST's get Tight Marking treatment too. 

The other thing I do is to train any of the front 4 to 'move into channels' and anyone who might play as a Roaming Playmaker to 'come deep to get the ball' (so Dembele, Carroll and also retraining Winks to play there). 

The league was won with 92 points - with only away defeats at Arsenal (a crushing first loss mid November) Man City, West Ham and Man United and highlights included beating Barca 5-0 at WHL in the CL Semi Final and beating Chelsea each of the five times I played them across all competitions. 

This tactic is only really effective with top teams because a) the Fluid system with a high press calls for intelligent, fit players and b) the Roaming Playmaker & Half Back is very difficult to make work in lower leagues. 

Enjoy. 

Control 4-2DM-3-1 V1.1_DCBDC799-05E6-4B5A-A2D0-076E203EFE60.fmf

Screen Shot 2016-11-25 at 08.13.33.png

Screen Shot 2016-11-25 at 08.59.38.png

Screen Shot 2016-11-25 at 09.40.07.png

Screen Shot 2016-11-25 at 09.40.40.png

Gonna give this a go. 

Question, what purpose does the RPM having 'shorter passing' have? Surely the idea with that kind of player is that his intelligence will decide when it's best to go long or short? Does this instruction stop him from hitting the quick ball for a counter when the opportunity arises?

Also, does the AF get isolated with no other Attack duties around him? I used Dele as a SS and this really suits him.

The keeping passing short for the RPM was more for Dembele specifically as his vision is only 7 - and the back up is Wanyama (or Carroll). If I was using a more creative RPM I'd probably remove it. 

Remarkably the AF doesn't get isolated - Kane got 44 goals and 13 assists; so he's bringing others into play too. Using an SS adds another Attack duty and find it best to keep the trio behind on Support. Dele got 11 in 26 PL games - so a pretty decent return from AM (Support).

I've been using this tactic with Spurs in my 3rd season. Very effective. I've made a couple of changes to suit my team:

1) take shorter passes off my RPM

2) take off 'get stuck in'

3) change crossses to 'whipped'

Also will use exploit left or right or both if I feel there's a weakness to expose. 

Teams playing well and results are generally good. Although it looks like this will be the first year we don't win the title. I put that down to a horrific injury crisis and me messing about with tactics too much before settling on this one in November (in game). 

• 4 weeks later...

have been changing back and forth between tactics until this one, changed into this early mid season, even with a not so reliable backline, still managed to win the italian cup and finished 3rd with my Torino side

really like how the fullbacks are getting forward to create goals, and the two wingers chip in with the odd goals as well.

only one drawback is that the AMC is not involved enough, i thought is because my AMC wasn't that good. But i just got the Belguim job, used De Bruyne there, and still he didn't influenced the game as much as i would have like

nevertheless, great tactics!! Thanks!

Archived