FM17 way too easy?

tut

Hello guys, I always played LLM in the English conference north/south and it was pretty difficult, especially at the start of the first season. Now I am playing FM17 and with Gloucester I am on the top of table after 13 games, without any special efforts to be honest..I don't change my system 442 I barely use any additional instructions, my players are below average (checked with the in-game editor), but I win everywhere  - home, away, cup games... I am starting to think that there is something wrong or I suddenly became very, very good/lucky ;) The feeling is pleasant, but  I am starting to miss the challenge from the past versions.. Otherwise I really like the improved match engine and the way my team is wining, it seems to be realistic, but somehow too good compared to my previous experience. What is your opinion, do you have similar observations? I remember that anolder version had the same problem a couple of years ago and it was fixed with a patch after lot of people complained about that. Do you think we have an issue here again, or I am just on a wining streak?

Thank you in advance for your replies :)

Lower your starting rep? try a harder challenge? using your own tactics?

But tbh..  you've been saying the game is too easy for you since 2012, maybe it just isn't a challenge anymore...

Either way..  this is half a bragging thread and half the same old story we hear all the time. It's a simulation and you make of it what you can.

Anyone who starts with a team expected to win things or put experience as international footballer or gives them self the highest badge, are cheating. Imagine if Alan Shearer took over a team in the conference, what are the odds in that? I put Sunday league football, no badges and pick a team who is never expected to finish top 6. 

Why set the game up to win, you set it up for a realistic challenge, when your at work. You dont go, i cant wait to go home and continue my save with man utd.. Unless youve earnt that job.. 

The game is not too easy at all...

after all these years, S.I think i no, lets make this the easiest fm ever.... 

People only start these threads to show off, Fact.

Great post from the moderator! Thanks a lot for the amazing tips! 

Just some unimportant points: 

My old topic from 2012 is connected to the corresponding FM version and does not mean that I am generally dissatisfied from the difficulty level since 2012. It means that in 2016 we could theoretically have a similar issue. Therefore I am asking the other guys about their opinion, to find out if there is a problem or not. If there are more people on the same opinion, then we will probably need a competent moderator statement. For now, I am just asking...the mates :)

I find this quite surprising. I've been a lower league manager for years and my campaigns generally follow a similar pattern.

The start of the first season is a real struggle as players are unfamiliar with each other and in particular with my tactics. I'm also doing a lot of tweaking to tactics and personnel to find what works. Part-time clubs with limited training time tend to take at least six months to achieve tactical familiarity.

I usually kick into gear in the second half of the season, and it's in the second season where I excel since I start the season with a settled side who are fully familiar with my tactics.

33 minutes ago, tut said:

Great post from the moderator! Thanks a lot for the amazing tips! 

Just some unimportant points: 

My old topic from 2012 is connected to the corresponding FM version and does not mean that I am generally dissatisfied from the difficulty level since 2012. It means that in 2016 we could theoretically have a similar issue. Therefore I am asking the other guys about their opinion, to find out if there is a problem or not. If there are more people on the same opinion, then we will probably need a competent moderator statement. For now, I am just asking...the mates :)

You say you've found it easy but you've given us very little in terms of context.

A) A 442 with no additional instructions - Great, a lot of users make the mistake of feeling they need to add extra instructions and end up making the tactic worse.  Each formation has default instructions built into it so you are not giving no instructions, you are simply giving balanced default instructions which generally work fairly well.

B) You've played 13 matches, thats nothing, a couple of early wins builds confidence in your players and puts you on the start of a good run.  Wait until complacency hits or that confidence goes away and see if you are still getting similar results.

C) How are you approaching your save - Do you use fog of war? Do you scout players before you sign them? Do you bring outside knowledge into your save? Little things here & there can make a save easier or harder.

D) Its just the one save with one club - Try different saves with different clubs, different countries see if you get the same result.

I think the replies are a touch too vitriolic; it seems quite a reasonable point. I'm in the second season with Sport and Leisure in Northern Ireland, Mr Tut. The pre-season odds were about 850-1 that I'd win Division 2 first season but that's what happened. I played a 4.2.3.1 at home and a 4.1.2.2.1 away. In my first game in the second season we beat Ballinamallard, just relegated from Premier Division, 7.1 with the AF scoring five. Same tactics. We've also been given a much bigger wage budget that I can feasibly spend on non contract players. Maybe it'll change or maybe it won't but I think I'll be a bit suspicious if this team were to motor through Division 1 in  a similar way. However, I'm obviously going to try and make my team as strong as possible. I've got the lowest possible reputation at the start of play and don't use the editor but I have commented in the bugs forum that one of the Sport and Leisure players seems far too good for Division 2 at the start of the game. I understand there was an issue with some data getting lost or corrupted in this league before the game launched so this is a bit disappointing as it does affect realism.

I like reading the forums and seeing how other people are finding a game that I maybe play for three or four hours a week.

Cheers,

Davy

Thanks again for the replies :) 

I played already aprox. 20 matches, namely I don't have time to play more, unfortunately. Hence I am asking people with more experience of that version of the game. I use 442, doing some tweaks, but trying to avoid too many complications of the tactic. Manager experience is automatic, according to the team (Gloucester). The only "cheating" I am doing is the use of online editor for checking players before confirming the transfer (checking the hidden mental stats and the potential). In this connection I can see that almost all players I have in the team are below average comparing to the other teams in the league and because of this I am surprised by their amazing performance.  I play FM for really long, since the 90 and normally I am struggling in the low divisions, suddenly my team started to win every match and I was thinking "that is strange..." In general I have no problem with the game, just wanted to ask if anybody else has the same experience. And as far as I can see, I have no reasons to be concerned, maybe I am just "too good" and lucky...for now ;)

Well checking potential & hidden attributes prior to signing a player gives you a significant advantage and certainly could tip the balance of any 50/50 games in your favour.

Yes, I always try to encourage users to not just look at a players visible attributes but use the reports to gauge hidden ones as well and build a team with a good backbone.  Using the online editor to do that though and then claim the game is easy is hardly a fair comment.

Fair enough, you have point, but I am not taking stars with mach better ability then my current team members, I am mainly checking for potential (above 80) as I like to develop my own players. And the opposition still has better players then me. But maybe you are right...

My first save in van north started like that, but suddenly our form dropped dramatically, and i ended up getting sacked after about 30 games played. Now im doing a little bit better in Norwegian second division, but failed to get promoted so far. I think its harder than previously mainly because scouting is harder. Well i skipped the last two versions of the game.

10 minutes ago, Hakkapeliitta said:

My first save in van north started like that, but suddenly our form dropped dramatically, and i ended up getting sacked after about 30 games played. Now im doing a little bit better in Norwegian second division, but failed to get promoted so far. I think its harder than previously mainly because scouting is harder. Well i skipped the last two versions of the game.

Form certainly seems to play more of a factor in more recent FMs. As mentioned by a previous poster, wait until complacency kicks in, or one big defeat batters your morale. You will face a crisis at some point and have to tinker with tactics or rotate players. see where you get in a few seasons before deciding it's too easy.

23 minutes ago, Hakkapeliitta said:

Not so much scouting but more which players will move to your club.

I also started in the Norwegian 2nd Division with Moss.  After surviving the reorganised leagues first season I was promoted the following season.  My first season in the First Division has been a success as we finished 8th well ahead of the relegation zone.  Looking forward to next season I've been scouting potential targets who have expired contracts or could be signed on bosmans.  There is literally one 4* player who is classed as a realistic signing with another 10-15 at 3.5*.  Many more at 3* and below but very few players are an improvement on those already at the club.

I know stars aren't always a good judge of ability before it gets brought up but its just an easy way to show how hard it is to improve my squad.  If I sell a player or one gets old and declines/retires I can replace them fairly easily with someone of similar ability but to actually improve the squad is tough.

Even trying to improve through youth isn't really viable.  I had two good youth players through two years ago, one signed pro terms with a Premier club rather than ourselves, the other played as a rotation ST for around a season (Improved from 1.5* to 2.5*) before a Premier club snapped him up for £100k.  Beginning of this season I got another good MC and a DC who might make it to the first team, I've promoted the MC to the first team as backup for this coming season but I've no doubt if he performs anything like decent offers will be coming in for him by the end of the year.

5 minutes ago, Cougar2010 said:

Not so much scouting but more which players will move to your club.

I also started in the Norwegian 2nd Division with Moss.  After surviving the reorganised leagues first season I was promoted the following season.  My first season in the First Division has been a success as we finished 8th well ahead of the relegation zone.  Looking forward to next season I've been scouting potential targets who have expired contracts or could be signed on bosmans.  There is literally one 4* player who is classed as a realistic signing with another 10-15 at 3.5*.  Many more at 3* and below but very few players are an improvement on those already at the club.

I know stars aren't always a good judge of ability before it gets brought up but its just an easy way to show how hard it is to improve my squad.  If I sell a player or one gets old and declines/retires I can replace them fairly easily with someone of similar ability but to actually improve the squad is tough.

Even trying to improve through youth isn't really viable.  I had two good youth players through two years ago, one signed pro terms with a Premier club rather than ourselves, the other played as a rotation ST for around a season (Improved from 1.5* to 2.5*) before a Premier club snapped him up for £100k.  Beginning of this season I got another good MC and a DC who might make it to the first team, I've promoted the MC to the first team as backup for this coming season but I've no doubt if he performs anything like decent offers will be coming in for him by the end of the year.

Ah! I started unemployed and was hired by Fana football. I couldnt believe my eyes when rules page stated 7 teams get relegated.  :rolleyes:Made it through, and almost got promoted. This season I expected to be figthing for promotion again, but it seems im stuck on mid table. Thankfully my board expectations are low. I will probably stay in the team for few more seasons and find a new club if I dont see real progress.

LLM is an other way ....

I´m playing since 2006 this game and yes, maybe for me it is now a little bit easier. But after 13 games i think there isn´t a chance to say woohoo, by far too easy. And, be honest, let the other manager ingame have a look to your basis 442 tactic, they will find your weakness very soon :)

Archived