FM17 - Hamburg Sport-Verein e.V

DirtyJoe

Hamburg Sport-Verein e.V
Founded 1887

4dQI5Yl.png

BUNDESLIGA CLUB FOR 53 years

ADP8McN.png

BBC Sport FOOTBALL- "Bruno Labbadia: Hamburg sack manager after poor start to the season"

ESPN FC - "Hamburg dismiss Bruno Labbadia after 18 months in Charge"

Bundesliga Fantastic - "Is Hamburg offence really that bad?"

Bundesliga

Officially, the club was founded in 1887, under the name of SC Germania. However, they would not be known as Hamburger SV until 1919, a merger with two other Hamburg clubs: FC Falke Eppendorf and Hamburger FC. The merger quickly proved to be a shrewd business move, as HSV won its first Victoria trophy in 1923. The club continued to be a force in German football, which resulted in a second national title in 1928.

Soon after, Germany's first professional football league, the Bundesliga was formed, with HSV one of 16 clubs invited to join that first season. Hamburger SV currently holds the distinction of being the only original Bundesliga side to have played continuously in the top flight – without ever having been relegated – since the formation of the league in 1963. 

The club's most remarkable period started during the mid-70s, around the same time Felix Magath arrived at the club. Even though the famous attacking midfielder was just one of many football stars that passed through the club in those years, he became a synonym for HSV's golden era. During his decade at the club (1976-1986), HSV won three Bundesliga titles, its second DFB-Pokal and two European trophies: the Cup Winners' Cup in 1977 and a European Cup in 1983. Magath himself scored the winning goal in the European Cup final against Juventus, which HSV won 1-0.

The 1987 DFB-Pokal would be the last trophy HSV would win to this day. The club was soon overcome with financial troubles, which saw them sell their best players in order to survive. For the majority of the next two decades, HSV would most often be seen just above the relegation zone.

The logo of Hamburger SV is featureless being only a 45 angled white and black square inside a blue rectangle. The blue colour in the background, according to some sources is from the flag signal Blauer Peter (Blue Peter) that means that the ship is soon about to sail.

Honours

UEFA Champions League

Winner (1)                         1983

Runner Up (1)                   1980

Bundesliga

Winner (6)                          1923, 1928, 1969, 1979, 1982, 1983

Runner Up (8)                    1924, 1957, 1958, 1976, 1980, 1984, 1987

Third Place (2)                    2000, 2006

UEFA Cup Winner’s Cup

Winner (1)                          1977

Runner (1)                          1968

UEFA Super Cup

Runner Up (1)                    1982

UEFA Europa League

Runner Up (1)                    1982

DFB-Pokal    

Winner (3)                          1963, 1976, 1987

Runner Up (3)                    1956, 1967, 1974

Club Name: HSV

Nick Name: Die Rothosen (The Red Shorts) & Der Dino (The Dinosaur)

Year Founded: 1887

Ground: Volksparkstadion (57,000)

Rivals: St Pauli (Fierce local), Werder Bremen (Local), Celtic (Competitive)

Bundesliga 2015/2016: 10th 

The Club

For a club the size of Hamburg, a mid table finished would ordinarily be considered a disappointment, but given their trouble in recent years there were than happy to end the 2015/16 season in tenth. Having only escaped relegation the previous two season via the play off's, Hamburg's only aim was to have a more stress-free campaign. For most part the side achieved that, and were only in the relegation zone after Match-day 1's defeat to Bayern.

This season looks promising with some very good signings over summer, and ridding themselves of the famous names on the roster, Hamburg finally seem to now have a chance to rebuild the team, instead of fighting against the drop in the eleventh hour.

New Arrivals

• Bobby Wood - Forward (FC Union Berlin) $2.9M
  • Douglas Santos - Left Back (Athletico) $6.4M
  • Filip Kostic - Left Winger (Stuttgart) $11.2M
  • Alen Haliliovic - Attacking Midfielder (Barcelona) $4.2M
  • Luca Waldschmidt - Forward (Frankfurt) $1.1M

Finances

The club after spending $28.M in the summer on new signings, there is very little left in the transfer budget - $0 along with a very modest $750K p/w salary budget. Any transfer save manager will have to sell first and see a good portion of revenue, 40% heading back into the clubs bank account of $13,200,000.

Transfer Budget- Nil

Wage Budget- $750K p/w (Current $700K p/w)

Key Staff

Director of FootballCurrently Vacant

Head of Youth Development:  Bernhard Peters - One of the best HOY managers within the Bundesliga going around, will ensure that the youth development will not be stifled and fits into the philosophy of the rebuild going forward.

Scouting & Transfer Team

This whole department will need to be overhauled. measured as mid table at best, whilst they are not the worst department within the league I would start to bring more highly rated team from day one, as you will need to be identifying youth early as you will not have the transfer power for at least the next 3 seasons.

THE PLAYERS

3hezZsW.png

9Y2a7wy.png

Rene Adler : Will be suffice for another 3 seasons, thus allowing priority in strengthening in other areas. A very good keeper for Bundesliga standards and beyond.

Christian Mathenia: A very reliable number 2, I cannot see him over taking Adler in the near future. But a great cover as a back up.

hVemQNz.png

0fRO0YS.png

Ultimately the weakest part of the squad and lacks depth, especially in the central parts. Cleber has been a part the team for a few seasons now, but has not hit any highs thus far, along with Johan Djourou are very similar. Veteran Emir Spahir starts off injured, is still your best defender by far at the age of 35. Some additional loanees would be more than welcome, as the team looks very short of quality.

On the flanks are with out a doubt the teams beast players in Santos, Saki, Ostrzolek and Diekmeier adding great depth with the ability to get forward and producing a crossing threat.

Douglas Santos: The stand out Key player in the defensive. I am not sure how long you will be able to keep him without European football, as the big clubs will certainly becoming after him in a season or 2. A good thing is, he has no minimum release clause.

IKgEeSE.png

YNkBRZt.png

Filip Kostic: New signing this season from Stuttgart, offers impressive quality on the left side, and is even capable of playing on the right as well, with a very nice ppm.

Alen Halilovic: A fantastic young player who again can play multiple roles across the front half. Even though IRL he has been used as a winger, his best position is in the Zehner position.

Michael Gregoritsch: Another immense talent. He exudes tremendous danger and makes short work in front of goal. He is agile, and because of his height, he will be difficult to stop in the box.

uyNTBId.png

hNqiYdi.png

Bobby Wood: A fantastic player, great work rate and very good off the ball. I think his anticipation could be a little better.

Luca Waldschmidt: Another astute signing over the summer. Will figure behind the experience Lasogga, but is the future.

Formation / Tactics

The team looks like it is set up for a 4231 wide formation, as it seems an obvious choice? but do not be fooled! The lack of all round solid midfielders & defenders will make this very hard to pull off as seen in IRL this season. With youth on the team as Wood, Gregoritch, Kostic, Kohlert and Santos, a fast counter attacking team will produce results on a consistent basis.  Lets be realistic, we are not going to win the league this season more challenge for the top 4? A Top half result any where between 10th and 6th would be a huge achievement. There will be some uncomfortable results and the belting that come with it, but stringing out consistent points throughout the seasons is the key.

A 442 or 4141 on the counter, with a lot of support players is the key. Playing a deep defensive line with box to box midfielders, allowing attacking through the flanks, thus utilising the team strengths.

Strengths -

• Excellent quick forwards, who can play a number of roles.
  • Great depth and flair on the flanks.
  • Very good attacking full backs.

Weakness -

• Depth in the centre of defence.
  • Lack of all round midfield ball winner.
  • No money.

13 hours ago, tyro said:

Nice thread also. A lot of Bundesliga threads this year. HSV couldn't be missing from them. 

Especially as this may be the last chance, with the way things are going IRL. FM as therapy - that's the way it has been this decade, and there's no end in sight

Perfect squad for a 4-2-3-1 with wingers, not inside forwards and a counter mentality (so much pace - use the space!). In FM that works really well, unlike in the real world, I guess. ;) Well, the first few games IRL were close, and now moral is shattered, that explains part of our misery, and the lack of cover in DC/DM.

In my save the team performed really well and EL qualification followed. Started a new save with a more realistic me as manager (all stats a 1 ;) ), and again the team started really well. Gotta keep the confidence up and it will be smooth sailing.  

There are three areas with shortages:

DC - but you can use Jung to stand in, then you have 4 which is sufficient.

DM/MC - Ekdal and Holtby are very good, Jung performs very well, too - but 3 for 2 positions isn't enough, especially if one of them also gets to cover at DC. There are some nice, cheap transfers available - Soler from Valencia B, e.g. and Lameira from Porto B.

Wings - Mueller (right) and Kostic (left) are excellent, and there are two players to cover, but they are nowhere near the same quality: Bahoui is OK, but while Koehlert is a talent (4 stars or more) he is too slow for the position. Still, Mueller and Kostic are not injury prone, so you can make do with this. You could also play Gregoritsch on the wings, but I prefer him in the middle. Oh, and I almost forgot Halilovic whose best position is supposedly on the right side - but he is too slow.

The strong points:

Fullbacks - you got 2 for each side (plus Goetz who is OK for a short period), and all 4 perform really well in FM (not so in real life, there only Sakai and Santos are good, Diekmeyer is fast, but can't cross or defend, and Ostrzolek is distinctly meh)

AM: Halilovic, Hunt, Gregoritsch, Holtby and after one season Ferrati comes back. Too much to choose from for one position - I get rid of Hunt (slows the game down IRL and is the oldest, so it's the last chance to cash in), start Halilovic, play Holtby further back and Gregoritsch as striker. Gregoritsch and Holtby stand in when Halilovic is not fit. From the second season on have Halilovic and Ferrati share the job - both are young and 4+ star talents with fitting stats for the position.

SC: One position and we have Lasogga (get rid of him, too slow, just as IRL), Wood (good), Gregoritsch (good, quicker than IRL), Waldschmidt (OK talent, but has got the right stats).

Transfers needed:

1 DC+1DM/MC or 2 DM/MC 

Players to get rid of:

Lasogga, possibly Hunt.

Of course with all those strikers you could also try to play a 4-4-2, but it would be a shame to waste all those AMs. ;) 

4dQI5Yl.png

Screen Shot 2016-11-20 at 12.05.37 pm.png

Pre-Season
A good start to the season as I moved through the friendlies without to much trouble. A late injury to Kostic, whom would miss the first 2 matches the only impediment. In the transfer market I moved on Johan Djourou and Albin Ekdal for $3M and $7m respectively. On the incoming transfer front, I brought in Valencia youngster Toni Late for $800K and Diego Poyet for free. Loan signings in Brazilian defender Samir on loan with aa future buyout fee, and Marko Grujic from Liverpool for a central midfield option.

Completion of my first season, playing a dogged 442 counter. I played around a lot with mentality form Fluid to Very fluid, occasionally going standard when I felt comfortable.

Bobby Wood had an outstanding season.

8BAZU8G.png

Transfers In

rM4YNKW.png

Transfers Out

4QXaa1A.png

I went with the 4-2-3-1 counter, and the results are reliably good, even when starting with a 1/20 manager as in the below example:

Screen Shot 2016-11-27 at 21.26.08.png

The transfers:

Screen Shot 2016-11-27 at 21.25.33.png

Incoming:

Soler was a mistake - he was a 5 star recommendation by my scouts and looked a great buy at first, but his low determination cost him in the end. He didn't improve and was shipped out to the reserves at the end of the season.

Lameira was a brilliant buy - a wonderkid that does fill those stars given time, and he did a job from the bench or as stand-in when more seasoned pros were out.

Velkov is another talent which got a bit playing time here or there similar to Lameira. 5 star recommendation as well.

Outgoing:

Got rid of the dead weight Lasogga and also Hunt. Hunt is a decent enough player, but I felt I had enough cover in AM and wanted to cash in.

Team:

Goalkeepers:

Adler did of course well. Mathenia had to play a few games but did OK as well.

Fullbacks:

All 4 full backs did well, but I had to bring in Goetz at some point due to injuries and bans. Hard tackling for fullbacks means a yellow pretty much every game...

Central defenders:

The three originals all did well, I rotated them regularly to keep them happy and added Velkov to the mix late in games or when I expected a win.

Midfield:

Albin Ekdal was the corner stone of my midfield as MC/DLP. Next to him Holtby as box-to-box midfielder, and on the bench relieving either of them Jung. I started Soler a few times, and gave Lameira playing time similar to Velkov.

Jung turned out to be very solid and even chipped in with a few goals, which was unexpected - his 5 is 4 more than the rest of the bunch.

AM:

Halilovic most of the time did an OK job, Gregoritsch and Holtby stood in when he was unavailable.

Wingers:

Mueller and Kostic all the way. Bahoui and Koehlert got a bit playing time, but only when really necessary.

Strikers:

Started the season with Gregoritsch as main striker, as he has so many favourable skills - fast and great at headers, that is a rare combination. Another plus are his dead ball skills. However, I felt he didn't deliver as much as I hoped - his low mental attributes and lack of balance/acceleration are what keeps him from being a star in this team. Replaced him with Bobby Wood and yes, that guy delivers. He is a limited player, but he has all the right skills to bang em in. I think if I had started with him the season would have turned out even better. Another mention should probably go to Waldschmidt, who should be nourished into the first team - he has the potential to turn out even better than Wood. He scored fewer headers, but his mobility and team play more than make up for it. I didn't do it because of the Gregoritsch gamble, that was a bad decision.

On 11/20/2016 at 06:35, DirtyJoe said:

Looks like you had a great first season.  I am closing in on my second season finish. I will post shortly, but i have signed 5 new defenders at the start of the season, with Cleber and Spahic gone, they have done really well.

I am finding this save really interesting due to the lack of transfer funds, I find that I have to pay more attention to match details and opposition changes, which have lead to a few more drawn games, by enjoying it. Bobby Wood has been insane in my Curren season, using him as False 9.

19 minutes ago, DirtyJoe said:

Looks like you had a great first season.  I am closing in on my second season finish. I will post shortly, but i have signed 5 new defenders at the start of the season, with Cleber and Spahic gone, they have done really well.

I am finding this save really interesting due to the lack of transfer funds, I find that I have to pay more attention to match details and opposition changes, which have lead to a few more drawn games, by enjoying it. Bobby Wood has been insane in my Curren season, using him as False 9.

So you got rid of Cleber and Djourou within a year? What do you not like about them, i.e. which stats do you look for in a defender?

I only ever play as HSV these days, so I only know transfers funds as lacking in the first 2-3 seasons. :) Fine by me, though - I like building my players up, so I ask my boards for the respective philosophies and then just sign them young.

At the moment i am at the beginning of the third season, so I can post my second season bits in a moment.

The second season:

Transfers:

Screen Shot 2016-11-28 at 01.12.03.png

Spahic was getting old in the tooth, so I let him go and replaced him with a nice, cheap Norwegian talent.

I also wanted a striker with more potential than Wood, and I kinda broke Waldschmidt by playing him in the reserves the previous season, so I signed a big name striker from Sweden (you all know his dad).

The full backs I have are good enough for the Bundesliga, but I want to improve long term, so I got another two prospects for there as well. Additionally, Ostrzolek made some noises about not getting enough playing time (I pretty much gave 50/50 to him and Santos, so he had no reason to complain.) and I wanted to be prepared if I have to let him go. As the prospects were settling in well I let Sakai go when a decent offer came in.

Gregoritsch was not going to improve and he blocked squad places, so I tried actively to sell him on. Shame about the low fee.

The best and most important transfer is of course Pavon. What a player. Comes as a prospect, but got to 4.5 full yellow stars in his first season! My best player by a parsec or so. :D

Screen Shot 2016-11-28 at 01.46.58.png

(Pic is from after the season)

Results:

Screen Shot 2016-11-28 at 01.18.35.png

Screen Shot 2016-11-28 at 01.21.31.png

Im the EL things were fine until the semis when a bad first leg at Anfield (3-1 to LFC) was too much to overcome.

Won the German Cup, a nice 1-0 in the semi against Bayern was the highlight there. :)

Wood was the main striker in the league (Larsson played in the cups), and scored a nice 20.

Issues:

1) I am becoming unhappy with the tactic. It is great for grinding out results, but I think too low scoring to challenge Bayern in the medium term, as 80+ points will be needed for that, so there's no space for draws or losses where my team didn't convert the few chances it created. Not sure how to go about changing this.

2) Players are frequently becoming unhappy and want to play or move on to bigger and better things. This I think is related to my low stats as a manager (after 2 seasons it's still only 5 in man management). And it is a problem as it affects team morale. Prime example here is Ostrzolek who I tried to transfer after his incessant complaining, but nobody wanted him - so I gave him a nice cosy seat in the stands for the second half of the season. Twat.

The negative:

Pavon, the one season wonder. 31(11) games, 20 goals, 13 assists. As a right winger. 

When I signed him I accepted a 56M release clause thinking that surely nobody would pay that much for a prospect. Well, no. Nobody would. But he ceased to be a prospect in this season and PSG snapped him up. I tried to extend his contract but his agent would only accept something with a lower release clause... Bugger.

The positive:

56M fixed the transfer budget issue. ;)

Season 2017/2018
In very surprising season, spent most of the season 
occupying 4th & 3rd. Hoffenhien had a stand out year running away on top of the ladder until the last 5 games where they faltered and fell away to 4th. We managed to beat them at home with 2 games to go to cement ourselves into a CL spot. A change up of tactic, reverting from a 442 to 4123, playing standard and fluid, worked very well. 

MzrveFd.png?1

Bobby Wood & Rachid Ghezzal lead the scoring. Doria & Luiz Felipe were very good at the back. This was where most of transfer funds were spent.  Felipe now a target for most major clubs, and is becoming unsettled.

JAStL4H.png?1

Season 2018/2019
Once again looking at qualifying for the CL, Germany has had its CL spots reduced from 4 to 3 next season. Already early pre-season indicates plenty of transfer activity from Bayern & Dortmund as they look to strengthen their respective sides.  At the moment my only really transfer targets are to sign another Keeper as Adler is on the last year of his contract, which I am unlikely to extend.  If I lose a key player like Felipe or Doria, I will then shift quickly to replace, but I have Dayot Upamecano and Max Hoffman as back ups, so could possible get away with the 3 central defenders and a youth back up.

Early season injuries to  Bobby Wood (3 Months) & Michael Gregoritsch (8 Weeks) as set us back a little. Waldschmidt will get a chance early, however I am looking Bremens Eggestein as a possible signing.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey fellas..

Figured it out :) had to negotiate it twice to be allowed to send my players on loan.

(any of u able to send your players to your feeder clubs?

Can`t/haven`t got the option anywhere to send any of my HSV players to my feeder club Düsseldorf (or others for that matter).)

• 4 months later...

Perfect way to end the season. Would have been happy with just the Champions League spot but simultaneously sealing the fate of Werder Bremen in the last match of the season is something special ;)

Archived