[FM 17.2.1] • • • MiNiMaL_FuSS - FuSStigate 1.5 || 4-1-2-2-1 • • •

FuSStigate - to beat severely with a club.

About
The tactic is built on two key concepts stolen from Jose :
• The team that makes the least mistakes wins - hence the narrow, slow and short passing game.
• An adaptation of his famous Trivote - 2 attacking midfielders that also harrow, harass and tackle, aiming to win the ball up the pitch, backed up by a supporting DM who fills the space behind them and creates passing triangles.

Mentality
I generally use control - but when playing a much bigger/better I'll switch down to standard (both versions are below to download).

Tip
Load 3 versions of the tactic into all 3 tactical slots, it'll train quicker.

Team Talks
Do them yourself, seriously, assistants are just rubbish at them, even the best assistants.
• Be harsh! Ask yourself what the stereotypical Sir Alex would have done .
• Before I match: I usually aggressively expect a result, followed by individually assertively telling them I have faith.
• At half time: (even if my teams winning) if most of my team have below 7 performance I will aggressively tell them it's not good enough, those that don't respond to that (or respond badly) I will individually tell they were not good enough assertively.

Opposition Instructions
• I don't usually use them unless it's not going well in the first 20 minutes against a far superior opponent, then I tend to close-down/tight-mark/hard-tackle/weaker-foot their ST/AML/AMR positions - mark the positions, not the people

Team Selection
DO NOT LET YOUR ASSISTANT MANAGER PICK YOUR TEAM - he will tend to pick AMCs in the wide positions, this will kill you, use wingers (or even strikers!)

Players
ST - Complete Forward (Support):
• Type of player: You need a fast Target Man, hard to come by admittedly, but worth their weight in gold (think: Lukaku).
• Best stats: Finishing, Heading, Composure, Acceleration, Jumping, Dribbling.
• Good PPMs: "Gets Into Opposition Area", "Plays One-Twos" .

AML/R - Inside Forwards (Support):
• Type of player: A traditional winger but with good finishing and shooting (think: Sanchez).
• Best stats: Dribbling, Finishing, Acceleration, Pace, Crossing, Long Shots.
• Good PPMs: "Gets Forward Whenever Possible", "Runs With Ball Often", "Cuts Inside From The X Wing", "Plays Short Simple Passes".

MCL/R - CM (Attack)
• Type of player: A box-to-box type player, a battering ram, charges into the box from deep and takes on shots (think: Lampard).
• Best stats: First Touch, Passing, Dribbling, Long Shots, Acceleration.
• Good PPMs: "Gets Forward Whenever Possible", "Gets Into Opposition Area".

DMC - DM (Defend):
• Type of player: Aggressive defensive midfielder, will look to attack the ball and break up opposition play (think: Kante).
• Best stats: Tackling, Work Rate, Positioning, Stamina, Concentration, Aggressive, Acceleration.
• Good PPMs: "N/A"

FB's - FB (Attack):
• Type of player: Defensive duties come first, but some good attacking attributes will give you width and crossing (think: Rose).
• Best stats: Marking, Tackling, Work Rate, Acceleration, Crossing, Dribbling.
• Good PPMs:  "Runs With Ball Down The X", "Runs With Ball Often".

CB's - Defender:
• Type of player: Jumping and Heading are important as I play a high line and they'll often need to clear the ball as it comes in. You'll also need good acceleration (anticipation is a huge bonus too) so they don't get beaten by balls over-the-top on the counter.
• Best stats: Heading, Marking, Tackling, Jumping, Strength, Acceleration, Anticipation.
• Good PPMs: "N/A"

GK - Keeper:
• Type of player: One-on-ones is particularly important as this tactic often has it's fullbacks pressing quite high-up the field. 
• Best stats: Handling, Reflexes, Arial Reach,Command of Area.
• Good PPMs: "N/A"

Download

1.5 Control: http://www.mediafire.com/file/sj18226832rj7a3/FuSStigate_1.5_(CONTROL).fmf

1.5 Standard: http://www.mediafire.com/file/a8iei8sr6jkg7zn/FuSStigate_1.5_(STANDARD).fmf

1.5 Counter: http://www.mediafire.com/file/a8iei8sr6jkg7zn/FuSStigate_1.5_(STANDARD).fmf

Key Changes

I finally realised that I'd been making quite  big mistake in my previous versions. I'd been telling my IFs to "sit narrow" because I wanted them to attack and get in goal scoring positions. But "Sit Narrow" is part of the "what to do when the team has the ball instructions", so actually I was making them harder to pick out with a pass, often leaving them largely uninvolved. What I really wanted them to do was "sit wider" and then "cut inside", which seems to have made a huge difference to the attacking aspects of the tactic.

What should happen now, is that you see a W from the front 5 when your team wins the ball, with the attacking CMs pushing forward to fill in the attacking gaps:

IF

CM >

CF

CM >

IF

This keeps the fullbacks out-wide to mark the IF's, which creates space for your on charging CMs and overloads a back 3 or 4, alternatively if the IF gets the ball, he will cut inside as expected.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, jayahr said:

The funny thing is the differences to Franky's tactic below appear to be fairly marginal. Will be intersting to see how the differences play out.

I'm using a similar tactic, but also with a few differences in it.

Well my tactic has been roughly the same for 8 years (you can find all previous versions on this forum). As with most successful tactics there are things that work for the engine and things that don't, frank's obviously found some of the same things that work, good luck to him.

Read we don't all just do a Mr_Hough .......Cleon will like that one...

It's very rare that this game actually gets me out of my seat and cheering, but this is my proudest result of the season:

20161118155838_1_zpsngsa3uri.jpg

Stole in in the 92 minute! 

Now how did I play this match? I switched to counter before kickoff and stayed there. I also used opposition instructions (close-down/tight-mark/hard-tackle/weaker-foot) ManCity's SC/AML/AMR positions (now they changed both their wingers during the game, but because I marked the positions, not the players, it didn't matter).

Interesting about tactics being less important then ever, As I've been getting decent results then after 12+ games a dramatic dip in form, I thought the praise and criticise player action was more redundant then recent years. I always done my own teak talks with great effect, but saying that even with getting greens for reaction the effect seems more reduced then ever and sometimes having the opposite effect, which is a bit confusing, For example your 2-0 up and you calmly praise the team for doing well, then you lose or draw, In older versions the green reaction would of boosted the team and they would see the game out.

I never got on with the pre match media ranting always seemed a bit petty, talking about other managers jobs and such, So I hope this is not effecting my squad in a negative way.

Talking about training with players is a nice tip though, something I will definitely look to do more.

23 hours ago, HaraldNatvik said:

So far, this is the best tactic I've tried for FM17. Nice job. I've had a good run with River Plate. I've tried a few tactics for 1.5 seasons with River, but FuSS17 has been the one with the best results. 

Thank you.

21 hours ago, Shankly84 said:

Great tactic. What version have you been using in the impressive victories over premier league oppo?

Mostly used 1.1 as this is my personal game, so that's just how the tactic has evolved.

That said I've just started in the premier league and it's much much hard here despite some serious upgrades to my team. I'm assuming in the cups that the prem opposition severely underestimated us even when they put out their first 11 - it's long been thought that club rep plays a part in deciding matches.

Version 1.2 released.

Pushed up and defensive line, altered instructions for CMs and exploiting the middle of the pitch. These changes create some really beautiful play in and around the box.

Probably wont work for lower league teams due to the demands of a much higher defensive line.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qkwacn8dyfm8jzj/FuSStigate 1.2.fmf?dl=0

Hey FuSS good to see you back!!

Nice tactic so far the only issue I'm having is the amount of long shots being taken. It ends up accounting for 2/3rd's of my chances. I see you've put shoot less often on the player instructions, but they seem to just shoot from anywhere still!!

Yeah, I've noticed and it does annoy me! 

With the correct PPMs on the CMs it wont matter as much because you're CMs are supposed to take some long shots and first timers.

The other 2 options are to "work ball into box" or "retain possession" both of which do reduce long shots, but I feel sacrifice too much variety and make you predictable - it might be if you're playing with a higher quality team than me (Norwich!) then one of these two settings might work better as your team will in general have much higher composure ad finishing. 

2 hours ago, WillyBroadband said:

Hi @FuSS I'm loving this tactic dude, in my 3rd season with Arsenal and really enjoying it. 

I tend to use the more expressive one at home & disciplined, away. Not tried version 1.2 yet though. 

Thanks dude. 

Glad to hear it. 

It's a very arsenal tactic really, lots of intense play around the box and plenty of possession, should suit a technically gifted team like the Gunners.

Give 1.2 a whizz, think it'll work very well with them.

22 minutes ago, penza said:

Hi Fuss,

So what PPM's do you suggest position by position?

Thanks!

I've not got the absolute answers, in FM16 and before I just went and got the best players I could, but in FM17 that seems to have gone out the window - I'll give you a couple of examples below:

CMs:

By far the most important are for your CMs, this tactic basically uses very attacking CMs from deep, so it's vital they get forward. So "gets into opposition area" is the most important by miles, "arrives late in opponents areas", "gets forward whenever possible" and "tries first time shots" are all useful.

Really you need to avoid anyone that "dictates tempo", "looks to pass instead of score", "tries killer balls often" in the CM position - you're after a battering ram, not a play maker.

Jonny Howson is a championship level players for Norwich, but he's got semi good stats for what you need and good PPMs, he's ripping up the prem at age 30 for me!

AML/R:

What's been really interesting for me is the performance of my AML/AMR, I bought in a couple of excellent players for these positions including signing Iker Muniain on a free, he's by far the most valuable player on my team and his stats are much better than my other wide men, but Robbie Brady is outperforming him massively, he's score twice as many goals and four times as many assists from the same position.

Brady "gets forward whenever possible", "runs with ball often" and "cuts inside". Iker also "cuts inside" but that's all, so maybe it's one of the other two? or maybe there's a lot more going on behind the scenes this game with team cohesion and the introduction of new players? It's too early to say!

SC:

I've just check outed the PPM's on my strikers and noticed another that fits the pattern! I've got a decent Argentine striker that's been terrible this season. He's been hugely outperformed by Zach Clough, a 22 year old up and comer that shouldn't be anywhere near him and doesn't really have the stats for prem (he's scored 15 in 13 apps!). I've just notice Zach has "gets into opposition area" and "runs with ball through centre".

@FuSS really good tactic working wonders with my Leeds team. I'd been trying to set up this 41221 formation myself for quite a while with no joy but this just works.

As for the PPM's ill make a note of them when looking to bring in players as the two CM's seem to be the main goal scorers so far. Eunan O'kane for Leeds is doing brilliantly doesn't have the ones you mentioned but has "Plays short simple passes", "Plays one twos" & "Shoots with power". Out of my midfield the two with Plays simple passes and shoots with power seem to be getting really high ratings each game and grabbing the majority of the goals.

Ill test out a few things on the striker ppm's as I have Harold Preciado who should be really go at Championship level but doesn't seem to be performing. However he has no traits so I may try and train a couple on him.

Also just a side note on the wingers Stuart Dallas is currently averaging a 8.05 and his PPM's are "Runs With ball often", "Shoots from distance" & "Dwells on ball" so maybe the Runs with Ball often is PPM to look for?

Just to add to this theory, Jefferson Montero has "Runs with Ball Often" trait and is tearing up the league - 22 apps, 17 goals, 7 assists and 7.79 avg, but his attributes aren't amazing (except for pace)

This tactic is amazing, kutgw.

14 hours ago, Gerson Brasil said:

amr e aml inverted foot?

Up to you, it will help them to score goals if they are inverted, but it will make their passing and crossing worse - there are no simple answers in FM17 I'm afraid! (I'm currently experimenting with asking them to swap positions, which covers both eventualities).

14 hours ago, JJSaxton said:

@FuSS really good tactic working wonders with my Leeds team. I'd been trying to set up this 41221 formation myself for quite a while with no joy but this just works.

As for the PPM's ill make a note of them when looking to bring in players as the two CM's seem to be the main goal scorers so far. Eunan O'kane for Leeds is doing brilliantly doesn't have the ones you mentioned but has "Plays short simple passes", "Plays one twos" & "Shoots with power". Out of my midfield the two with Plays simple passes and shoots with power seem to be getting really high ratings each game and grabbing the majority of the goals.

Ill test out a few things on the striker ppm's as I have Harold Preciado who should be really go at Championship level but doesn't seem to be performing. However he has no traits so I may try and train a couple on him.

Also just a side note on the wingers Stuart Dallas is currently averaging a 8.05 and his PPM's are "Runs With ball often", "Shoots from distance" & "Dwells on ball" so maybe the Runs with Ball often is PPM to look for?

"Plays one two's" has been really good for me also, but few players have ti by default, so I've not mentioned it so far. I imagine "shoots with power" is very similar to those "frank lampard" style traits I've said to look out for - the bottom line is that he's sounds like a powerful goalscoring midfielder, not a playmaker :)

Stuart Dallas is performing considerably better than my wide men! I think "Runs with Ball Often" seems to be pretty important as far as PPMs go - I may experiment with turning on the run with ball more often team instruction if thats the case!

2 hours ago, RowRow78 said:

Just to add to this theory, Jefferson Montero has "Runs with Ball Often" trait and is tearing up the league - 22 apps, 17 goals, 7 assists and 7.79 avg, but his attributes aren't amazing (except for pace)

This tactic is amazing, kutgw.

Another one for "Runs with Ball Often", really interesting.

This is basically my FM16 tactic tweaked slightly - it's completely amazing to me that PPMs seem to be a key factor this year given that i didn't think the ME had changed that much. So I don't have definitive answers, but we can certainly see some patterns emerging.

Thank you all very much, really helpful contributions. 

15 hours ago, FuSS said:

I've not got the absolute answers, in FM16 and before I just went and got the best players I could, but in FM17 that seems to have gone out the window - I'll give you a couple of examples below:

CMs:

By far the most important are for your CMs, this tactic basically uses very attacking CMs from deep, so it's vital they get forward. So "gets into opposition area" is the most important by miles, "arrives late in opponents areas", "gets forward whenever possible" and "tries first time shots" are all useful.

Really you need to avoid anyone that "dictates tempo", "looks to pass instead of score", "tries killer balls often" in the CM position - you're after a battering ram, not a play maker.

Jonny Howson is a championship level players for Norwich, but he's got semi good stats for what you need and good PPMs, he's ripping up the prem at age 30 for me!

AML/R:

What's been really interesting for me is the performance of my AML/AMR, I bought in a couple of excellent players for these positions including signing Iker Muniain on a free, he's by far the most valuable player on my team and his stats are much better than my other wide men, but Robbie Brady is outperforming him massively, he's score twice as many goals and four times as many assists from the same position.

Brady "gets forward whenever possible", "runs with ball often" and "cuts inside". Iker also "cuts inside" but that's all, so maybe it's one of the other two? or maybe there's a lot more going on behind the scenes this game with team cohesion and the introduction of new players? It's too early to say!

SC:

I've just check outed the PPM's on my strikers and noticed another that fits the pattern! I've got a decent Argentine striker that's been terrible this season. He's been hugely outperformed by Zach Clough, a 22 year old up and comer that shouldn't be anywhere near him and doesn't really have the stats for prem (he's scored 15 in 13 apps!). I've just notice Zach has "gets into opposition area" and "runs with ball through centre".

amazing thanks!

Hey Fuss,

Great to see you putting a tactic up for 17, I think it was 06 I first used one of your tactics and your 4-4-2 for 12 is still one of my favourites, right hand striker banging 100+ goals a season!

This years game is frustrating the hell out of me! I play FM Touch on the iPad these days as just don't have time for the full version and it gives me everything I look for in the game. I had a whirl with 1.2 yesterday starting g a new game with Spurs, it absolutely ripped the first quarter of the season then absolutely fell to pieces!

Whatever tactic I try there is just no consistency, it can't be team talks or morale as there is little control over these in Touch. 

Sorry for the unconstructive post post but up until it fell to pieces this was by far the best tactic I have used so far!

1 hour ago, christrott79 said:

Hey Fuss,

Great to see you putting a tactic up for 17, I think it was 06 I first used one of your tactics and your 4-4-2 for 12 is still one of my favourites, right hand striker banging 100+ goals a season!

This years game is frustrating the hell out of me! I play FM Touch on the iPad these days as just don't have time for the full version and it gives me everything I look for in the game. I had a whirl with 1.2 yesterday starting g a new game with Spurs, it absolutely ripped the first quarter of the season then absolutely fell to pieces!

Whatever tactic I try there is just no consistency, it can't be team talks or morale as there is little control over these in Touch. 

Sorry for the unconstructive post post but up until it fell to pieces this was by far the best tactic I have used so far!

It used to be the case in previous versions of the game that there was a mid-season "re-rank", ie your rep went up because you were playing well and other clubs therefore treated your team differently, crippling a lot of tactics.

I've no idea if this is still the case or if there's sometuing more dynamic used in newer versions of FM.

Either way the result is that as your team does well the opposition will essentially take notice and adapt.

Are you finding that you still dominate the games later in the season but can't work through the opposition, then they smash you on the counter? This had been my main issue later in the season, partially when playing at home,where other teams will just "park the bus" against me. When I'm away most other teams will still have a ho against me, which leaves my team enough space to store.

I find you need very small changes when this occurs, just to mix up the tactic a little bit. I've personally started using overlapping FBs to add a bit more width. 

Lmk if it's the same sort of thing?

15 hours ago, Irakodo said:

Just wanted to let you know I am trying out your tactic and having great results with it using a fairly weak team. Thanks for sharing! Looking forward to v3 (I already added the instructions you proposed). 

Thank you.

5 hours ago, kenek086 said:

what ppm´s are good for every position?

Scroll up!

2 hours ago, QuickZombie said:

How's 1.3 going fuss?

I'm really happy with how it's progressing, just going to finish out my season with it first.

The main changes are as follows:

• Turned Off - Play Out of Defence = this has given us more passing options and made us quicker to counter, we're less predictable as a result and scoring more.
  • Turned On - Look for Overlap = this seems to have given us extra width and different options up top, we're less predictable as a result and scoring more.
  • Turned Off - Exploit the Middle = this seems to have gotten out AML/AMR more involved, we're less predictable as a result and scoring more.
  • Turned Off - Roam for position on AML/AMR = I felt this made us defensively frail.
  • Turned Off - close down less on CBs =  still debating this one, but it makes logical sense with a high D-Line.

The basic premise is that I was using too many team instructions, and while that was making us dominate games, it was making our game one dimensional. Turning a few things off gives the players more options. This should be great for capable teams, but actually worse for Lower League teams that usually need less freedom and more structure in their play.

Archived