Do you find this year's game difficult?

I have found it very easy so far. I have taken over a team in Vanarama South division whose expectations were to aim for mid-table. I have guided them to third in the league and my target man has scored 34 goals (it's December). My tactics are 442, long ball, get stuck and plenty of closing down.

I'm on the verge of being sacked at Plymouth, started with an adventurous 4-2-3-1 formation as I felt Carey and Jervis would be able to supply Goodwillie frequently on the counter.  Carey has got the hump and wanted to leave but Bolton never bid for him on deadline day despite watching him twice before (has since picked up a groin injury to keep him out for 6 weeks).  I'm on a 8 game run with only 2 draws and 6 defeats, after starting with wins v Luton and Mansfield I thought i'd cracked it.  However after the last defeat to local rivals Exeter i've dropped to 23rd with 8 points from 14 games.

Decided to revert to 4-4-2 and keep it simple now, any tips are appreciated :) 

On 18/11/2016 at 12:05, SaintPaul said:

I bought it on the day of release, and I've yet to find a successful long term strategy. 

My best run of results was 8 wins in a row. The worst was losing 12 of the last 14 games of the season at Sheffield Utd , 

I might have to simplify my tactics , I think the problems I have might come from trying to play passing , attacking football in a league where that style isn't the norm . 

• 2 weeks later...

I think people managing teams outside a nations elite league make the mistake of selecting tactics that are way too complicated for the team. For example, I would never try and implement an ambitious 4-2-3-1 formation for my Vanarama South League team as I simply don't have the players skillful or intelligent enough to play this way.

4-4-2 with long balls and players getting stuck in seems to be working really well for me.

You have to assess how good your squad is first and then develop a tactic the players can play to. I also cannot overstate the importance of player roles. Deciding between a BWM and a DM, or BPD or CD can make a massive difference.

On 12/1/2016 at 15:49, Lillywhite Dean said:

I think people managing teams outside a nations elite league make the mistake of selecting tactics that are way too complicated for the team. For example, I would never try and implement an ambitious 4-2-3-1 formation for my Vanarama South League team as I simply don't have the players skillful or intelligent enough to play this way.

4-4-2 with long balls and players getting stuck in seems to be working really well for me.

You have to assess how good your squad is first and then develop a tactic the players can play to. I also cannot overstate the importance of player roles. Deciding between a BWM and a DM, or BPD or CD can make a massive difference.

I agree with you, I was getting sacked time and time again after spending a lot of time working on my complex tactics in the lower leagues.  I simplified it for my latest job at Stevenage and have lasted 2 years and things are now beginning to build up and move in the right direction and i got a job offer for the first time.

Archived