Sports Interactive Community
Ben Levin

What am I doing wrong? (tactic in post)

Hi everyone, 

So on FM16 I used this tactic for Manchester United, except in control mentality and with working the ball into the box, and had incredible success. I also man mark any strikers (unless there are three), or any wide attacking midfielders. I do the same tactic every game, only changing if I need to protect a lead/come back from a deficit late in the game. I am in my second season right now, finished 3rd in the league after a 10 game winless run towards the end of the season and did not do well in the cups. Right now, I am 8th in the league right now, 11 points out of first. I am dominating possession in just about every game, but I do not seem to be creating many chances. I concede many goals off of long balls to the strikers and the wingers, especially on my right side. I feel like with the talent I have, I should be doing a lot better but I can't quite figure out what to change. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Screen Shot 2016-11-17 at 9.00.23 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-11-17 at 8.57.49 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-11-17 at 8.56.43 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-11-17 at 9.21.38 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-11-17 at 9.21.27 PM.png

Edited by Ben Levin

Im far away from beeing an expert,

But i would try to offersome more penetration from other places then the if's. change the ap (su) to a runner like the box to box? Have not played with united, but is pogba not a good box to box player? maybe change one of the fb to a wb on attack.

Also if you are having constant high ball posssion but few chances, take a bit more risk? take off the ' dribble less' or 'retain possesion'. maybe add pass into space since you are sitting deep.

Thats just my idea..

Edited by fraeyke

The tactic is too one-sided. You've got five players (among them 3 playmakers) that pass the ball around the middle of the pitch, with only two FB(S) and one CF(A) to offer the needed variation. Maybe try Martial as IF(A) and Mkhitaryan as a W(A). That way you've got three players that are prepared to make runs behind the defense that Mata can aim for and more threat from out wide. Giving Luke Shaw an attacking role would also help. Also a midfield pairing that has a DLP(D) and BBM(S) is probably more balanced, and Pogba should get the BBM(S) role. DLP(D) is more of a role for players like Carrick with great mental stats and lower physical stats.

5 hours ago, Frank27 said:

The tactic is too one-sided. You've got five players (among them 3 playmakers) that pass the ball around the middle of the pitch, with only two FB(S) and one CF(A) to offer the needed variation. Maybe try Martial as IF(A) and Mkhitaryan as a W(A). That way you've got three players that are prepared to make runs behind the defense that Mata can aim for and more threat from out wide. Giving Luke Shaw an attacking role would also help. Also a midfield pairing that has a DLP(D) and BBM(S) is probably more balanced, and Pogba should get the BBM(S) role. DLP(D) is more of a role for players like Carrick with great mental stats and lower physical stats.

If I made Martial and Shaw both attacking, wouldn't I be vulnerable defensively on the left side?

It sounds to me if you are being hit with long balls there is some isolation up front.  You are playing with a deep back line which suggests the team are drawing you out and hitting the counter. In regards to the player roles, your inside forwards will not come into the buildup until the attack phase begins, so you could have your striker closing in on the box, with your wingers only just inside the half- meanwhile the defenders are plucking the ball off of your forward, launching the counter attack while wingers have basically just been made redundant. You might want to try fluid over flexible,  - In fluid the players will tend to be closer together making the attack a more compact unit, with players in support. 

Make sure you are not just playing games in Key all the time, you can learn a lot in the first 10-20minutes of a half in extended/comprehensive, and know what roles/duties/instructions you need to tweak to get more from the game.  Also, Be More Expressive might be a good shout to use if you are dominating possesion and wasting shots -  I tend to use Be More Expressive when in control but not scoring, and I don't use Retain Possesion unless playing defensively or protecting a lead.

Hope this helps some

Edited by SuperSubFM

I think the three central playmakers is overkill. I would be inclined to change at least one of the central midfielders to a defensive role. You could also drop the midfielders back to DM and pair a mobile RGA with a DM/Anchorman type. That would also free up the fullback on the same side as the anchorman to be a little bit more adventurous going forward.

Defensively you are very deep and very passive in how you close down. Then you when you have the ball you're very static based on your dribble less instruction and your midfield roles. I'd suggest trying to be more aggressive defensively with a higher line and pressing the ball more, along with changing your midfield roles to move more.