Rotherham? They'll... oh, who cares.

Bedese

13 hours ago, ManUtd1 said:

Hahahaha...what a way to end the season.  Tremendous stuff!

12 hours ago, Deisler26 said:

Damp squib in Rotherham, fireworks in Brentford.

10 hours ago, Makoto Nakamura said:

Congratulations on finally staying up! 

9 hours ago, BoxToBox said:

Jesus, what an amazing page three, a delight to read(perfect with my breakfast cuppa)! Well done on avoiding the drop.

8 hours ago, johnstonpickle said:

This has got me through the first 30 minutes at work haha.

congrats pal, build on this now! :D 

8 hours ago, higgins said:

Well done, nice storytelling!

8 hours ago, deltablue said:

Fantastic climax!

5 hours ago, danmcconnell1 said:

Hahaha brilliant way to present the final day, reminds me of the 2010/11 final day in the Premier League when Blues went down, goals flying in here there and everywhere!

2 hours ago, Black and Yellow said:

About time.. ;)

Thanks guys! I hope it was as entertaining for you to read as it was for me to write, although I'd imagine I was a lot more nervous! :lol: 

EDIT: This is the first post on page 4, which means that we took up exactly an entire page for the final day of the season. That's perfect :D 

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, clarkehwbu said:

I can't be the only one that read that in their voices?:lol:

6 hours ago, BoxToBox said:

You definitely weren't. :D

6 hours ago, oneronaldo said:

Great, now Jeff Stelling and friends' voices are stuck in my head. :lol:

It's not just you guys, I read them in their voices even when I was writing it out!

3 hours ago, Carninho said:

Apart from the fact that Rotherham are a team of Forest rejects ;-) (Camp, Wilson, Halford,  Blackstock, Derbyshire, Burke)

2 hours ago, SpillBlood said:

Derbyshire and Burke?  Bit behind the times.

Anyway, it's well known we're a bunch of Sheffield Wednesday rejects.

We might have chucked Derbyshire and Burke, but I'd definitely say we're built up of equal parts Wednesday and Forest rejects. Not a great way to build a side :D 

Izzy loan was strange on my game.  They wouldn't loan him back when he'd of stayed.  It hit July 2nd and he refused to come back on loan.  He went on loan to Sunderland and Boro after, never did well and ended up getting released in the end, didn't improve at all.

Remember, look at Kasim and Hinds!

3 minutes ago, SpillBlood said:

Izzy loan was strange on my game.  They wouldn't loan him back when he'd of stayed.  It hit July 2nd and he refused to come whilst on loan.  He went on loan to Sunderland and Boro after, never did well and ended up getting released in the end, didn't improve at all.

Remember, look at Kasim and Hinds!

Good reminder on those two, I definitely need to check them out :D 

EDIT: Wolves bought Kasim for £1m in January. That's not going to happen then :( 

1 minute ago, SpillBlood said:

No!  Damn you Wolves!  Hmm, where's Conor Coady if they have Kasim?

I'd recommended Bielik from Arsenal aswell.  Good at CB and DM.

Coady is still at Wolves, but I wonder if Wolves would loan him out?

Bielik unfortunately broke his leg on my save, and that's properly stunted his development. Doesn't look up to par, to be honest.

8 minutes ago, BoxToBox said:

Gonna go back for Cummings? Hibs have a tidy young mid in their ranks too that I pinched in my Rotherham FMT save.

Cummings is still my #1 target, but Hibs want 2.3m for him :( Unless something changes, that one's not happening.

I do have two strikers currently in mind - an Italian, and Conor Washington. We'll see what happens with that. I've got some more scouting to do before I've compiled my 'ultimate' shortlist - right now I've got 20 players there who's contracts are up in summer, so I'm hopeful we can do some wheeling and dealing :D 

I chucked Camp in the first window for 350k, and replaced him with a young lad from Sheffield Wednesday for 125k and a 1/5th the wages. Cameron Dawson, I think.

Ben Garratt is a steal at 83k, in 16 I used to sign him for any and every club in Europe.

3 hours ago, SpillBlood said:

Wait, check out Ben Garratt!  That's who I signed for 83k.  Camp wanted 8K a week for me which was a no no.

3 hours ago, BoxToBox said:

I chucked Camp in the first window for 350k, and replaced him with a young lad from Sheffield Wednesday for 125k and a 1/5th the wages. Cameron Dawson, I think.

Ben Garratt is a steal at 83k, in 16 I used to sign him for any and every club in Europe.

It's interesting you guys mention Garratt, because he's my #1 target at any position, regardless of whether Camp stays or not. He's a little worse than Camp now, but he's got lots of room to grow. Hopefully we can pull that one off :D 

15 hours ago, Deisler26 said:

Ismael Bennacer from Arsenal tore up the Jupiler and the Eredivise in midfield. Check him out, along with Donyell Malen.

And, of course, The King ;)

Those names are being scouted, although I think The King may be a little too expensive for us ;) 

Preseason:

fb541fc899286e1e449cd42c8e4f657d.png

Not bad.

MK Dons are a Championship team again, and that was a god awful way to start preseason. We went with our 4-3-3 from last year, but got torn apart defensively. I'm putting that tactic on the shelf for now.

Blackpool were up next, and I went with the 4-2-3-1 that we'd used a little bit last year. We absolutely dominated them (10 half chances!), but we needed two goals in the last 10 minutes to turn a 2-1 loss into a 3-2 win.

PSV game - perfect. Beating a team like PSV away from home is superb, and pretty unexpected - but we deserved the win. The changes I'd made to the 4-2-3-1 for this game were switching the AP(s) on the LW to a IF(S), because of the new player we have at that spot (all shall be revealed soon...), and telling the team to work the ball into the box. It fared pretty well in this one.

Ajax battered us, and if they could finish their chances, it would have been a different story. We did create some decent chances of our own, though, and you can't expect much against a team like Ajax.

The backups were in against Charlton to get match fitness, so I can't complain with a win. I let the assistant deal with the game against Penistone, purely on the schedule for morale.

So... not bad, all in all. I suspect you may want to know what changes we've made to the squad though...

Transfers:

The fun stuff! We didn't have much money to work with, though...

4869010c6866cd10a9fc61047f7071e9.png

Well, we didn't until Bristol City came in with a bid out of the blue for Darnell Fisher for 1.1m. He wasn't a bad player, but that's crazy money. He was out the door straight away.

Joe Mattock also went out the door, and I think getting 425k for someone who played just 16 games last year (and played pretty badly) is good money. We have a lot of depth in defence, anyway.

Dexter Blackstock went for 96k. I was just happy to get him off the wage bill. He played once for us all of last season.

Richard Wood, Chris Dawson, Tom Thorpe and Lewis Price all weren't needed.

Dominic Ball has gone out on loan to Villa. I was surprised when the offer came in, to be honest. They won't use him, but neither will we, and their training facilities are far superior to ours - I'm hoping that a year at Villa Park will help him develop a lot better than he could here. He is still only 21, and does have 5* PA...

Jonson Clarke-Harris is one of my favourite players in real life, but the ACL injury that keeps him out for 11 months at the start of the game just destroys his physicals. He's gone on loan to Stevenage, and I don't see much chance of him coming back into the side when he returns in January.

Now, the incomings...

20e111d13072ac18212e12ae2cb45cd2.png

What a coup! Jakupovic is way, way too good for us, but Hull wanted shot for 140k, and we were in there straight away. He's on 7.75k a week, which isn't actually too bad. He's probably the best player at the club, to be honest.

020d69412b9c27c6d483641b45f01155.png

Ben Garratt came in from Crewe for just 83k compensation, but he's going to have to sit behind Jakupovic, at least for the meantime. I want to get him as much gametime as I can, though, because I think he could be our keeper of the future.

Unfortunately, Lee Camp is still here. No team wants him. He's taking up 7k in wages that I could really use...

16d0272e604ec6d464094c07c181ed83.png

Byrne comes on loan for the year from Man City. We've got a lot - a lot - of midfielders fighting for places, but he's being paid absolutely nothing from us, so even if he just sits in the reserves all year (which isn't likely), there's no harm done.

92d9468317e55e5779e11cda2ce1b00f.png

This is one of my favourite signings. We've bought in Hamilton on a free after he was released by Manchester United, and he's here for the next three years on just £800 a week. 2.5* CA at 18 is impressive, and he's got 5* PA - on a free!

6c730d55d887b235b3a6a1a13dacbf0e.png

Also here on a free from Manchester United. I'm not sure how much he'll play, but he's got room to improve, and if he can develop his technicals and mentals, he could go far.

e8aeeafad89c5de51eb5e7d56cc218b5.png

This is my favourite signing, I think. Moyano was available for free after his Cordoba contract expired, and we snapped him up. 3* CA at 20 with some incredible technicals, and he's got the potential to play in the Premiership, easily. £4.7k a week is hefty, but I couldn't let this one get away. He may end up starting for us at CAM, if we stick with the 4-2-3-1.

9bdffb556f78f34be3a2c815a64394fa.png

Orihuela was released by Sevilla. I'm not in love with his mentals, but he's only on 2k a week, and he's got 4.5* PA. We'll see.

aa32a9cbeab301d02180c4a386b007f8.png

We sold Joe Mattock for 425k and replaced him with Mavinga, who was on a free after being released by Rubin Kazan and is clearly the superior player. Not too shabby wage wise, either. Mavinga will probably be our starting LB this year.

c24cb9e43005c0061af50f07bafd3116.png

He's just depth, but he's free.

0c996790ceae61fded4db8f7ecdbfd20.png

I'm absolutely buzzing with this one. We needed a LW after Izzy Brown returned to Chelsea, and we've got one. Kaikai scored 12 times in 35 games on loan at Brentford last year, and I was amazed he was willing to come here. We're paying just 1.3k a week for him. I think I'm in love. He looks great as an inside forward.

79f19c6af399e8b2d25fbd3d27fefbc8.png

I've had three strikers on my shortlist for a while. Jason Cummings, Conor Washington and Pietro Iemmello. Cummings went to Cardiff for 800k (which we couldn't afford :(), and so it was between Washington and Iemmello. Washington didn't impress on loan last year, so I decided to fork out the extra 1k a week in wages to bring Iemmello on loan for the year, with the view to making it permanent if he impresses. It's between him and Danny Ward for our starting striker spot, but Iemmello edges it for now.

715bb76b9c5b3f427dc3602f9a157627.png

I'm not so sure about this one anymore. We've got a lot of depth at FB, and 3.9k a week for a backup isn't ideal. We do have a future fee in there that's just 150k, though, so if he develops well we may purchase him permanently.

31f3c5f8a46e104aefeb7401eb5fd72d.png

I see no problem with bringing in Kiwomya on a free. He's not good technically, and he's injury prone, but he started his career at Rotherham and he's absolutely rapid. If he doesn't work out, we haven't lost much.

I'm very happy, personally :D I think that's it for transfers for summer, but you never know...

EDIT: Nope. One more for now. 

b4857a36da2c71fd4569e0ec0444c484.png

We have way too many CMs, but I couldn't turn down £0 a week for someone pretty good.

Selling Blackstock, Mattock and Fisher for those prices is a really good haul.  I do like the look of Mavinga and Iemmello.  Hopefully you can develop the two released from Manchester United.  Mitchell is one I've always one I wanted to develop but they'd never let him go and he'd always rot.

Not sure why you signed that young Spaniard.  He'll never reach his PA :D.

On 02/12/2016 at 20:42, BoxToBox said:

Keeping to the traditions of Sheff Wed or Forest players in the team. See if you can get Matty Cash from Forest as he is the next big thing. He did ok in the Prem for me too

3 hours ago, BoxToBox said:

Nice collection of signings! Hopefully the pair of United kids do well for you, but tbh, I wouldn't expect much, maybe backup level players?

Most likely, yeah. I have more hope for Hamilton than Mitchell, though. Hopefully we can make a decent sum from selling them, at least :D 

2 hours ago, Deisler26 said:

Were you not able to get any of my ones?

I wanted Malen, but he went back out on loan to Utrecht before we had the chance to put in an offer. We've still got a scout looking at Bennacer, actually, but he may be too similar to a lot of players we already have in that role. The King is too expensive for us :D 

16 minutes ago, oneronaldo said:

Iemello looks quality, if he doesn't fire you into the Premier League nobody will :D

Here's hoping :D 

August:

e68bf080373df2e719f326d21121b64c.png

Rotherham vs Bristol City:

I was confident about this one. I had my team sorted, tactics all ready to go. Then Aymen Belaid got sent off after 16 minutes. Not much we can do with 10 men.

Crewe vs Rotherham:

A nice, comfortable victory for a rotated team. Pietro Iemmello and Alex Kiwomya got on the scoresheet.

Charlton vs Rotherham:

A well deserved win, even if it took Danny Ward coming off the bench to score in the 92nd minute.

Rotherham vs Preston:

We were 2-0 up and cruising, they scored twice in two minutes, they took the lead in the 88th minute and we scored right from kickoff. Does that cover it?

7468308f36f39e508cf73d358d611f27.png

Rotherham vs Fulham:

dbbc763bd1f6839e88feb5e58edaf973.png

Football is frustrating.

Rotherham vs Middlesbrough:

We went 1-0 and 2-1 up, but their quality shone through in the end. They scored their 4th and 5th late as we pushed for the draw.

Derby vs Rotherham:

They were just too good for us. We were pretty convincingly outplayed. I wish Derby would stop bottling it and get promoted already.

Not a great month, but it's not a disaster, either. We clearly need reinforcements at the back, though, so I've bought in this big guy:

dc237dd2482e6c8dd303d545bf961a4c.png

Bamba has a tendency to freelance a little bit and do his own thing, but on his day he's one of the best defenders in the division. He cost us just 38k from Cardiff and he's not on big wages, so it's worth the risk.

Archived