A Squad Building Exercise - Celtic

On 28/12/2016 at 10:28, Black and Yellow said:

That's a cracking season! Shame the shootout didn't go your way though.

Cheers man, that was the only downside to the season.

8 hours ago, Feddo said:

That has been a really nice season! Tough to beat that but I look forward to see the progress next season.

Thanks, hopefully progress in the CL groups this year.

Celtic | A Squad Building Exercise | Part XX

DWJqwFl.png

A lot has happened since the season came to a close. The board upgraded both club training and youth facilities. The training facilities are currently classed as 'excellent' and the youth facilities 'great'. This should help us produce more of our own players and better players to filter out through Scottish football.

YZhBSEF.png

Great news for the Scottish game as we are climbing our way back up the rankings, we need to move up one more place to have an effect on the qualification places. Celtic also shot up 22 spaces, hopefully the other clubs can help the nation coefficient this year. 

NUp5egk.png

pgzfq4K.png

y5N0ogF.png

There was a lot of transfer activity. Lets start with the players who left; firstly Kolo Toure chose to retire at the end of the season, possibly due to lack of game time towards the closing stages. Doris De Vries also retired. Bailly, Allan, Ciftci, Janko and Boyata all left and raised £3.25 mil between them. None were going to be anywhere near the first team. A lot of players left on loan, monthly thoughout Scotland. 

8Tf1pr3.png

a5ui7vs.png

The first arrival was Jai Quintogo, a quick striker who will spend the season on loan at top flight side St Johnstone. The finished 5th last year so he should be part of a good side this season.

3UfO4jz.png

Ederson Hyndman has been my most expensive singing yet. He cost £4 million from Bournemouth and will line up with former Fulham teammates Paddy Roberts (who's loan was extended) and Moussa Dembele this year. He looks a good all-round player and I expect him to develop well under the tutor of Scott Brown.

C1u88Y5.png

Celtic | A Squad Building Exercise | Part XXI

DWJqwFl.png

Phase 4 of my scouting network was set up early pre-season. Leigertwood will cover the Caribbean region looking for talented youngsters, Ayala will be looking ofr the best young players in South America and Da Silva North America.

EUKhBTe.png

A host of players have arrived on free transfers. The first - genuine competition for Craig Gordon. Lovre Kalinic will be my first choice keeper in years to come and challenge Gordon for the jersey this season. His passing and first touch isn't great so that is something we will have to work on.

Ayl7seU.png

The versatile Marco Friedl joined and was loaned out to feeder club Kaiserlautern. On reflection I should have sent him elsewhere as I don't see him getting much game time. 

tlGBTjq.png

He doesn't fit my singing policy but he was one I couldn't ignore. He's the typical box-to-box midfielder and managed an incredible 17 assists last season for Burnley.

3qC4X6P.png

Another player who impressed so much last season is Nemanja Maksimovic. A great season for Astana seen him become a full international for Serbia. He couldn't get a work permit so will spend the season in Italy. 

6fWBKzT.png

Matthew Knox is another example of picking out the best in Scottish youth. He will spend the year in the Scottish Championship with Dundee Utd - a step up from L1 at Livingston. 

cFfM17r.png

xMDN1g1.png

1TSZ97l.png

Could one of the Mods please lock this. 

I'm not happy with the slipping standard of writing towards the end of the season and pre-season. It will continue in a fresh thread as it has strayed from the topics and styles I originally wanted to discuss. 

Thanks.

On 21/12/2016 at 13:59, Sean1967 said:

The most interesting tactical change here was using Scott Brown as a DM, CM or BBM as opposed to BWM. His aggression sees him booked/sent off far too often, compared to real life figures its insane. His yellow cards went form 6 in 8 games to just 1 in 8.

That's a know issue I've read elsewhere a few times on these boards. The BWM role is 'broken' at the mo.

Locked by user request but: this is looking more and more like a career thread than a tactics and training one. If you start a new one @Sean1967 please keep the focus on specific tactics and training issues- if that isn't where you want to take it, then please post in the proper forum.

Archived