Sports Interactive Community
Sign in to follow this  
mark1985

Ideas please!

Hello. With the New Year looming, I am looking for a HUGE save to crack on with. I am not starting yet, as given that I've been a very good boy this year (honest! Well, there was that one time...I only meant to go out for 1 pint and then...anyway, I digress), so I might even get FM17 at Xmas (I currently have FM16). This save will last months (if not the whole year), so I really want to get the decision right. That's where you guys come in. I have a few things that I am 100% sure about, but some things I'm not. My requirements:

• Must be European (preferably not UK but may be tempted)
  • Not a 'big' club (ie not a Man U, Barcelona, PSG etc) with a lot of money
  • There must be some scope for growth there
  • I love doing the homegrown saves, where I sign all play players from that region  (ie if I was Liverpool, all the players would come from Merseyside/Lancashire) or in the case of a small country (Luxembourg, Malta, San Marino etc) just from that country. Players from the youth intake are acceptable.
  • Preferably not in the top tier (exception for the likes of Gibraltar, Andorra etc)
  • Preferably something/somewhere that makes them 'stand out.' Such as small club next door to a big club (Red Star in Paris or Unterhaching in Munich for example), or anything you can think of really
  • I may well do career updates so preferably not something that's been done a lot before (such as the Gibralter challenge

Any ideas you have would be brilliant! Thanks in advance

You might have seen it already, as there's a thread here in the forum, but I could offer you the SV Darmstadt 98, which ticks most of your boxes. They were promoted to 1. Bundesliga a year ago, but actually have to cope with the facilities and the financial margin of a 3rd Division club. The team is rather old, the attributes are horrible (apart from stuff like work rate and teamwork), and it's rather challenging to find a tactic which works for that team. They have no youth, no talent and a very small stadium.

From a "feel good" and roleplaying perspective, it might be nice to try them with transfer budget switched off and then hopefully slowly establish them in the Bundesliga and go beyond. In FM16, there were a handful of us who tried to play them, and we all struggled to keep them up. This year, my first attempt looks rather decent after half a season, but there are so far no other users who have posted any career updates, so it would be something that has not been done a lot.

Genuinely believe Wrexham fc are a great club to start with..

Good base to build from, great history.. and they can blow the opposition away in terms of finances considering you can get almost a £1million transfer budget first window after buying out a sell on clause for Neil Taylor of swansea

Nottingham Forrest? See if you can emulate the achievements of the late great Brian Clough. Not too sure on the current playing squad but they are definitely a club with a great history and potential to get there again.

Good ideas so far! I'm toying with the idea of a lower league Italian save, rejuvenating my FC Luzern save in Switzerland or somewhere in Central/Eastern Europe (Hungary, Czech Republic, Croatia etc) or Scandanavia

My suggestion would be FREM.. Danish second division.

A club with a lot of history and a club that you could compare to ex. FC St. Pauli in Germany. It´s known as a "working class" club. I´ve been at their stadium, Valby Idrætspark, too many times to count and it´s a great atmosphere there..

They are located in the southern parts of Copenhagen, and neighbouring clubs are the two biggest clubs in Denmark, Brøndby IF and FC Copenhagen..

FREM used to be in the danish Superliga but because of going bankrupt on two occasions, the club got relagated twice. The first time to the 5th tier in Denmark, they fought there way back up to the second tier, 1. division, and then the second time to the fourth tier, and are now trying to get back up again..

I would suggest Dinamo Moscow. Despite being the oldest club in Russia, they have never won the Russian Premier Division and last season got relegated to the second tier. 

Lots of big earners and not much income means that controlling finances could be an issue. 

Overall the squad is easily good enough to be promoted and then the challenge will be to win the Premier Division for the first time in the clubs history. 

I know a lot of people don't like the Scottish league but I've just started a career at Hibernian. They're too big for the Championship and your immediate task is to take them back up. You also start in the Europa League due to Hibs winning the Scottish Cup last season. They also have a decent squad with a load of good youngsters.

How about Paris FC? just slipped down to the National french league. I'm sure there would be a lot of Parisians in the game, plus it would be a great challenge to try match your neighbours, PSG.