Same succesful squad and tactics from last season, but friendlies are a disaster!!!

I finished last season 3rd in Budesligua, F-A= 60-30, 65 points.

This season, my squad is about 85-90% the same and tactics 99% the same as last season.

Up-to-date in preseason, in 9 friendlies, my team is getting worse by the day.

Stats are telling the whole truth F-A= 5-15, no win W-D-L= 0-2-7 :eek::seagull::idiot:

d76e7Zk.jpg

I even got a couple of yappies-players who "cannot motivate themselves to play for me", because I am a low reputation manager.

Players who last year, played anything over 7AR, now they barely get a 6 :mad::mad::mad:

My whole team looks like falling apart and I am ready for some serious action and plenty of fining, 6 days before the 1st game of the season.

Although I mainly added some U23s to test them and most of them performed horribly, it looks like the first team players are consistently between 5.40 to 6 AR!

I already fined a couple of them and next thing, will be transfer list and off they go!!!

Any suggestions why is that happening?

PS: From my to-date experience in the game, when the team performs consistently below average in friendlies, it means that I am ahead a very bad season.

Problems with FM13 again, eh?

The best advice I can give you is don't panic. I've experienced plenty of seasons on FM13 in which my team looked awful in pre-season, only to click into gear once the competitive stuff began and go on to have a decent campaign.

What was the calibre of your pre-season opponents like? I'm looking at your pre-season schedule, and even though you now appear to be in the 26th season and I have no idea of who the big superpowers are now, none of your opponents look obviously weak. I find that it helps to have one or two friendlies against teams from at least three divisions below your own, just so your players have the chance to perhaps win big and build up their confidence. If you're playing tough opponents time after time and you're struggling to beat them, that's when you can get into a vicious circle of bad results.

Also, if you're even thinking about fining players, let alone fining them, after poor performances in pre-season, then I'm afraid that says more about your management style than your team. Even the best players are bound to make a few mistakes per season, so if they happen in friendlies, that's not as much of a concern as it would be if they had messed up in competition.

23 minutes ago, CFuller said:

Problems with FM13 again, eh?

The best advice I can give you is don't panic. I've experienced plenty of seasons on FM13 in which my team looked awful in pre-season, only to click into gear once the competitive stuff began and go on to have a decent campaign.

What was the calibre of your pre-season opponents like? I'm looking at your pre-season schedule, and even though you now appear to be in the 26th season and I have no idea of who the big superpowers are now, none of your opponents look obviously weak. I find that it helps to have one or two friendlies against teams from at least three divisions below your own, just so your players have the chance to perhaps win big and build up their confidence. If you're playing tough opponents time after time and you're struggling to beat them, that's when you can get into a vicious circle of bad results.

Also, if you're even thinking about fining players, let alone fining them, after poor performances in pre-season, then I'm afraid that says more about your management style than your team. Even the best players are bound to make a few mistakes per season, so if they happen in friendlies, that's not as much of a concern as it would be if they had messed up in competition.

Thanks for your feedback.

Actually, not only I fined them, I even had a chat with them at an aggressive tone.

Especially at this yiappy that I am getting feedback from my assistant manager, that he cannot motivate himself to play for me!

It might hurt them a bit, but if they don't like it, they'll have to go!!!

When it comes to super powers, I have no idea neither, but after scouting all my opponents, only the first three looked like "easy bite" and I still didn't get a single win.

3 of my best players are grumpy at the moment and I am not the yiappy's favorite personnel anymore!

You've set up some pretty tough friendlies there and the results aren't entirely surprising.

I always play 8 to 10 friendlies (depending on how long pre-season is), in this order:

Tiny team, tiny team, poor team, poor team, average, average, good, good, and then finish off with 1 or two more small opponents.

As the players get fitter and stronger, their opponents get better but so does morale. I finish off with a couple of cannon fodder teams with my strongest 11 so my strikers find their shooting boots.

10 hours ago, SpartanUTD said:

The past 26 seasons I am fining my players every time they are performing anything under 6.4AR.

Trust me, it works :applause:

What exactly works about it?

Do you know what it does?

Just now, SpartanUTD said:

I can only judge from the results, that players after a fine usually perform better.

Thats nothing to do with the fine though.

If they disagree with you the fine does nothing except have the potential to upset them, it possibly lowers their opinion of you.

If they agree with you and apologise then it often results in an increase to the determination & work rate attributes.

4 hours ago, Cougar2010 said:

Thats nothing to do with the fine though.

If they disagree with you the fine does nothing except have the potential to upset them, it possibly lowers their opinion of you.

If they agree with you and apologise then it often results in an increase to the determination & work rate attributes.

Well, it i this second element you said about "an increase to the determination & work rate attributes" that I am hoping every time.

Interesting approach with handing out fines quite often, I tend to reserve fines for absolutely terrible performances and getting sent off. I issue warnings for bad performances but rarely get to the stage of fining players for being crap. Always hesitant about using too many fines as it can destroy morale, usually for me the carrot works better than the stick to get my donkeys going possibly the players are getting fed up of being fined and that could effect their morale which of course could effect their performances which could then get them further fines. Be careful you don't let the fines spiral out of control once you have lost the players respect it is hard to win it back.

On 15/11/2016 at 16:01, carlmiles1879 said:

Interesting approach with handing out fines quite often, I tend to reserve fines for absolutely terrible performances and getting sent off. I issue warnings for bad performances but rarely get to the stage of fining players for being crap. Always hesitant about using too many fines as it can destroy morale, usually for me the carrot works better than the stick to get my donkeys going possibly the players are getting fed up of being fined and that could effect their morale which of course could effect their performances which could then get them further fines. Be careful you don't let the fines spiral out of control once you have lost the players respect it is hard to win it back.

There's a yappy who used to have me in his favorite personnel, but not anymore!

I don' t go manic on fines, but I am not very light handed neither, especially when a player seems to repeat bad performances quite often.

You are lucky : I can try loads of tactics : AI will find a way to win because the idiot can't stand being defeated ! Yet tactics are not the problem ! 

5 minutes ago, Hingis said:

You are lucky : I can try loads of tactics : AI will find a way to win because the idiot can't stand being defeated ! Yet tactics are not the problem ! 

There is a tactic forum in which you could learn a lot about successful tactics

My problem doesn't seem to be the problem.

As I said, my squad is about 85-90% the same and tactics 99% the same as last season.

The signs of collapse though, were all present during preseason friendlies.

Now, early season still, I struggled to win 2-3 Aachen, a club who play 2 divisions lower, even though I used a 3-4-3 overload tactic that my players hardly knew.

Earlier tonight, I played the 1st leg against Malaga for Champions Cup Best placed Play Off (away) and I got smashed 5-2.

Maybe it is needless to say that I was loosing 3-0 in the 13 first minutes!

I only fined 3 players for 2 weeks and gave another couple of warnings.

All along the start of preseason, none of my players was consistent, most of them finished friendly games with AR under 6.70.

I think that there is something wrong with their mentality.

I won Best Manager of the Year title last season.

Despite that, my best MC (the one I am calling yappy!), says that he struggles to motivate himself to play for me, because I am a very low reputation manager.

I am worried that I made my team grow, after 10 painstaking seasons and now everybody will start looking at me low :ackter:

My problem doesn't seem to be the tactics.

As I said, my squad is about 85-90% the same and tactics 99% the same as last season.

The signs of collapse though, were all present during preseason friendlies :seagull:

Now, early season still, I struggled to win 2-3 Aachen, a club who play 2 divisions lower, even though I used a 3-4-3 overload tactic that my players hardly knew.

Earlier tonight, I played the 1st leg against Malaga for Champions Cup Best placed Play Off (away) and I got smashed 5-2.

Maybe it is needless to say that I was loosing 3-0 in the 13 first minutes!

I only fined 3 players for 2 weeks and gave another couple of warnings.

All along the start of preseason, none of my players was consistent, most of them finished friendly games with AR under 6.70.

I think that there is something wrong with their mentality.

I won Best Manager of the Year title last season.

Despite that, my best MC (the one I am calling yappy!), says that he struggles to motivate himself to play for me, because I am a very low reputation manager.

I am worried that I made my team grow, after 10 painstaking seasons and now everybody will start looking at me low :ackter:

1 minute ago, SpartanUTD said:

If your players hardly knew the tactic (in other words, they were not familiar with it), then surely it's not surprising that they struggled.

I'm aware that English is not your native tongue, though, and that you might have actually meant to say that they were familiar with the tactic. If that was the case, the tactic was still likely the wrong one to use against a much weaker team who were more likely to sit back and try to hit you on the counter. I'd recommend a steadier, more controlled approach in that situation, but then again, that's just what I would do.

Now, about your players... could their personalities be a clue as to why things have gone wrong so far? I'd like to know the personalities of your players, specifically those who didn't like it when you fined them, and also the midfielder who can't motivate himself.

Like you, I've spent a long time at one club in FM13. Unlike you, I've never had serious problems with motivating my players, who are generally a professional and resolute bunch. If one player stands out for the wrong reasons (and I've only really had that with backup goalkeepers), they get thrown out before they have a chance to upset the apple cart.

Archived