Sports Interactive Community
Sign in to follow this  
Eborg

Are work permit rules the same across the UK?

I am playing in the 3rd division in Northern Ireland and have just signed an American striker on a non-contract basis. What surprised me is that he got his work permit straight away despite being a lowly-rated player with no international caps.

Are the rules for Northern Ireland somewhat softer than in the rest of the UK (AFAIK the rules are goverened by the UK Home Office, not the Home Nations' separate FAs)?

Or is it because he was based in Northern Ireland as he was playing for another club last year? He was without a club at the start of the game.

Or is it because it was not a part-time or full-time contract?

The rules are the same throughout the UK.

In real life a US citizen will find it much easier to get a work permit. Not sure if that's the reason though.

In real life the rules are not be the same as each home nation FA is responsible for sponsoring visa applications & each will have different criteria, whether that is fully replicvated n FM is another question & one that I've never fully tested but your example suggests that theer are some variatiosn in play.

Non-contract is interesting as the assumption I'd make is that the player is already in the country for other work which they have a visa for & that as they are on a pay as you play arrangement there is no need for a profesional sportsperson visa. 

Does he have a EU Country as a second nationality?

16 hours ago, Barside said:

Non-contract is interesting as the assumption I'd make is that the player is already in the country for other work which they have a visa for & that as they are on a pay as you play arrangement there is no need for a profesional sportsperson visa. 

That makes sense as I had the same thought as well when it happened. Unfortunately, I cannot offer part-time contracts to players so cannot really test this since his quality is way off for a usual work permit.

14 hours ago, Gareth-s0 said:

Does he have a EU Country as a second nationality?

No, only US.

stats.jpg

info.jpg

Edited by Eborg

22 hours ago, Barside said:

In real life the rules are not be the same as each home nation FA is responsible for sponsoring visa applications & each will have different criteria, whether that is fully replicvated n FM is another question & one that I've never fully tested but your example suggests that theer are some variatiosn in play.

Is the FA input new ? Back in the day when my sister used to sit on the panel there was no FA representative, just Alex Ferguson / Peter Reid etc with their Powerpoint presentations powered up, and the rules were the same for all home countries.