Sports Interactive Community
Ghents

FM17: Athletic Club Bilbao - Basque in the glory

3 hours ago, bowieinspace said:

9Pu1xJh.jpg

It's always just a matter of time with Javi Martinez 

Surprise, surprise. Same thing happened to me when trying to sign him. He got hurt and the transfer was off :(

17 hours ago, bowieinspace said:

Correct yeah top 4, with 4th going into the qualifying round and top 3 straight to groups.

January in Spain is absolutely savage, 2 games a week every week due to the two legged cup fixtures. Once you up the club performance over a few seasons the board stop viewing the copa del rey as particularly important so you can heavily rotate and use youngsters/b team players as needed

You're not wrong!

Mo6Om0f.png

Squad is absolutely creaking at the seams. Cavalry has arrived with Merino joining on loan.

2 points ahead of Barcelona, 6 ahead of Real Madrid but they have 2-games in hand. Atletico helped us out again beating Real 3-0 from 8th place in the league!

Performance of the season, so far:

9SwHFU5.png

Quite the debut for Merino.

Used a back 3 with wingbacks to create a 5v3 on Messi, Neymar and Suarez. Took advantage of Barcelona bypassing their midfield, conceding a 3v2 advantage at MC to create the overload at the back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjeW-lbjc88

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nB0GYF77qU

Two examples of our counter attacking. Both are short clips but both moves started with a simple outlet pass from the defence. In one it links the winger with the CF (A), and in the other the CF(A) turns creator for the onrushing CM (A)

Edited by bowieinspace

2019/20 Season Update:

La Liga - Another fantastic season winning the title for the 2nd year. We finished on 89 points which is an excellent haul, but Real and Barca (the latter to a lesser degree) underperformed and allowed us to take the league with some comfort towards the end of the season. Villareal emerged as a real contender this season finishing in 3rd, they gave us a number of tough games throughout the season in league and cup! Real Madrid probably were the shock of the season, finishing 5th.

M3tBgAk.jpg

In the Champions League we lost in the semi final to Bayern. We gave them a very tough game and I would consider us unlucky to have gone out, we were the better side in both games, perhaps marginally so at their place, but we didn't convert our chances and their quality going forwards told. We drew 1-1 at our place after conceding an early set piece goal, and then at their place we took the lead early on and took a 1-0 lead into half time. Sadly goals from Muller and Lewandowski in the second half saw us lose 2-1. We had some late chances to win it on away goals but sadly it got away from us.

In the Copa Del Rey, our young guns performed admirably, losing in the semi finals to Barca.

Here's a look at some of our up and coming youngsters. We have a few too many around the 3 star region to post them all, so here's the top prospects at this stage:

VOBcZze.jpg

Ibai Garcia - He's now our 3rd choice CB and plays a lot of games for the first team. Looks like he's going to be a stalwart in our squad for many years with plenty of room to develop further.

HlhMKgg.jpg

Erik Salgado - Yet to make his first team debut, but he should be our left back for years to come and our long term replacement for Azpilicueta, looks like an absolute gem.

uONkFl9.jpg

Benat Ugarte - On the other flank we have this youngster coming through. Again yet to make his first team debut but it won't be too long. I have another excellent RB who you will see in a moment, so they will very much compete for that spot, but if they both develop as expected I imagine I will retrain one of them, but that's a decision I'll took at later.

MsIky0u.jpg

Ander Bilbao - When I think of some of the best newgens I've had come through on FM in my many years of Athletic Club saves, I think this guy will be up there in the top tier. He's only 18 but is already our starting right back, taking the place of De Marcos/Lekue this year. Currently 3* at 18, with massive potential, if he stays injury free I fancy he is going to be the best full back in the game.

EtcABQz.jpg

Ibon Alvarez - Great striker prospect with a superb attribute spread. His composure needs some work but that will come with time. In a few years he should be well placed to challenge Villalibre for the striker spot.

Et2ZTBf.jpg

Xabier Intxausti - New through our youth intake this year, complete with the 'best of his generation' tag which always warms the heart. Looks like he could be a monster and is already developing well.

There's unlikely to be any interesting developments in the summer window. The only player I'd like to sign is Mikel Oyarzabel but he doesn't want to leave Sociedad (or join us), and as a Socieded fan, I don't think we have much chance here. The only other potential option I could look at is Griezmann, but I'd need to pay an insane amount of money for him and he's nearing thirty, plus Man City have no interest in selling. So the 20/21 season will be all about bringing our youngsters through!

3WMADAU.jpg

Unbelievable, took me 3 years of making him my top target, declaring interest, scouting his games, I even recently started watching his games myself. Finally I get him on deadline day. 

Also this is a new one...

K1Fcuyr.jpg

Edited by bowieinspace

@bowieinspace congratulations. Great signing. Lovely player.

As my season goes on I am feeling the effects of not having a left footed wide-attacker. I am either using Munian wrong-footed, Sabin or Villalibre.

Sabin has actually done alright. He's not the same quality of the rest of the team but I always have a certain affinity with a player with 20 determination (he's tutored Villalibre too).

It's a useful way to get Villalibre game-time as he's yet to find his feet as a consistent goalscorer.

Oh, yes and..

8tHjcCn.png

Man Utd are linked with bonkers money move for Verrati so I may benefit joining in the transfer merry-go-round.

Edited by Ö-zil to the Arsenal!

Almost forgot to show off my own team

Season 1

gT4mw51.png

Doing some business as they were a few U-16 youth prospects at the start of the game. Eboko became a big star for me later on...

v6BiZmN.png

Decent first season from us as we got 6th. Just what the board wanted but I wanted that CL money to get some more players.

Season 2

nXmwWuV.png

Regen invasion began this season. A ton of prospects + Monreal and Merino came in

Zvta5Xs.png

Another 6th place finish...

Season 3

5pU88ws.png

Laporte wanted to go to Spurs and with the release clause in place, I couldn't stop him... :(

VoEdWNv.png

6th AGAIN

Season 4

Dd4OseI.png

Much of the old guard left this summer. At least we got Ander back.

hehYU3E.png

Champions League at last!!

Season 5

1aZWOuy.png

Xesc Sanchez and Adrian Pozo were the two that got away. Just couldn't keep their heads down and play well. No... :rolleyes:

xepOw6T.png
CL again

Season 6

daSGGqB.png

Eboko got sold due to his release clause. I had too many strikers in the ranks anyways...
8pVIu90.png
So far, so good

Showing off my regens

MXheKzZ.png
xzFD20w.png

Barbaro and Mateo came from the academy.

BXaJWAb.png

Hopefully, this guy can succeed Merino and can become the basque

Matic. Got him for $450K from Cadiz

60RQ2GV.png

Prolly Barbaro's replacement if he goes. Also from the academy.

IMMjVhY.png

Got Cruzado for $4M
wI1YesH.png

This guy was expensive. $6.5M from Celta. Unforutnately for him,

Lopez is in form.

hGd7vMY.png

Lopez had some great loan stints so I promted him to replace Eboko,

my former top scorer. Lopez is now my top scorer. Got him form my

academy too.

tiSCjrX.png

My version of Kante. Hopefully, he can make that BBM role his own.

Got him from Las Palmas for $2.6M

K9Qwguo.png

See Alberto. Got him for $1.8M from Sevilla
BY2Z5iX.png

Another expensive guy. $4.3M from Osasuna. At least he is somewhat

versatile.

e9G3QAc.png

I got this guy on the cheap from Tudelano (!!!) for $70K

FbBxmF2.png

Trying to improve his passing a bit. I want him to be a BPD. Got him

for $875K

iypQoBS.png

Oriol Roger has really no spot but hes a good backup for now. Got

him from Girona for $220K

Edited by Jean0987654321

Yeah, I know. A lot of loans were made to save some money and get a few quid in. I bought a ton of U-16 Spanish players in order to strengthen the talent pool of players to choose from. Just recently I have been integrating them into the main squad...

3 hours ago, Jean0987654321 said:

Yeah, I know. A lot of loans were made to save some money and get a few quid in. I bought a ton of U-16 Spanish players in order to strengthen the talent pool of players to choose from. Just recently I have been integrating them into the main squad...

Yeah fair enough, it's a smart way to increase the talent pool!

I won't show my transfers but I make on average 5-6 incoming transfers each season total. The only reason being that I don't sign under 16 spaniards unless they have Basque nationality already, so I can only pick from Real Sociedad, Osasuna, Alaves etc academy products plus the odd randoms who pop up at other clubs. Instead I focus on bringing through my own academy players and seeing how far I can push them, and I supplement them with the best players I can get hold of from the other Basque academies as and when they're willing to sell/willing to join, which can be tricky (especially with Real)