FM 2017: Glasgow Celtic FC - Welcome back to Paradise Brendan

McGougan33

Welcome Back to Paradise Brendan.

IMG_0809_zpsfeif6ljq.jpg

Initiative. Drive. Direction. Ambition. Glory.

These are the Mantra`s the board has finally taken on. Spurned on by a lack of commitment from the fans, after being sick of second rate players, and average management coupled with poor spending, Dermot Desmond has finally stepped in to stop the rot coming from boardroom level, Lawwell has been forced to stop running the club like a business, and run it like a proper football club.

“Football is nothing without fans”

IMG_0878_zpsrndjzagm.jpg

With that, the word was out, Celtic Football Club was to be taken seriously again, they were on the hunt for a top class manager, one who would lead them back into Europe and rebuild the squad and the team`s reputation. Linked with various names including Moyes, Mackay, Lennon and others, there was one name that was getting fans around the country excited, Brendan Rodgers.

With that name instantly comes recognisable ideas of high pressing, hardworking, attacking football, enough to make any football fan salivate in anticipation of something special. In what felt like an age, dreams were realised all around the world in Celtic clubs, bars, homes, hearts. Full of joy, proposals were made, babies given life, exam results in, Magic was in the air.

Summer was well and truly underway in Glasgow, the manager came in, analysed his squad over 3 weeks, identifying areas which he felt were key to strengthen, and presented his targets to the board. The process was underway, signings were to be made, and that was communicated to the board in no uncertain terms.

“Celtic Jerseys are not for second best, they don`t shrink to fit inferior players”

IMG_0807_zps9pxhho2s.jpg

brendan%20rodger_zps5aidbos7.jpg

Toure, Dembele, Sinclair, De Vries, Gamboa this was a manager with pull and ambition, household names and young raw talent bolstered a squad in need of a major overhaul.

The target for the manager, Champion`s League group stages, domestic domination and brand improvement.

All achieved by November. Top. Class. Manager.

Fans back in droves, investing in their club, Champions League funds secured. Spending in January guaranteed, what a time to be a Celtic Fan.

IMG_0810_zpsncacoqoh.jpg

Electricity. Atmosphere. Passion. Love

SQUAD ANALYSIS

GOALKEEPERS:

Craig Gordon: Aerial Reach, reflexes, positioning, jumping reach all over a 16 with good composure, concentration and decision making coupled with anticipation and command of area making for a great shot stopper and dominant on corners. Slow player though.

Dorus De Vries: Reflexes and communication being the dominant attributes here with good balance should make for a good shot stopper and good control of his back line. Can be lobbed with lower jumping and aerial reach.

Logan Bailly: Great strength, reflexes, jumping and kicking here with a strong one on one stat to back it up. Quickest of all keepers, but with poor decision making and concentration.

Leo Fasan: Wont amount to much and should be sold.

Analysis: Craig Gordon should wear the Number 1 jersey here with De vries as back up and Bailly as 3rd choice. Gordon should be retained for a few seasons. De vries replaced next season, and Bailly sold and replaced with a youth prospect as soon as possible, especially if trying to play with a sweeper keeper.

Defenders

Mikael Lustig: Concentration the highest stat here, coupled with good tackling, marking, composure and anticipation being one of the most versatile defenders in the squad, can be played as a right back, wing back or centre back.

Christian Gamboa:  One of Rodgers new acquisitions. Speed Merchant, will work hard for the team, decent first touch and tackling but with high aggression, should be set to ease off tackles and needs to work on crossing.

Saidy Janko: Another speed merchant here with youth on his side, good dribbling  for wing play, not much else going on. Needs to work on tackling and improving his work rate. Mentals should improve with tutoring.

Keiran Tierney: Young and hungry, great mentals for a young full back, with good pace to and acceleration, stamina should be higher imo. Good tackling, should work on his marking heavily though.

Emilio Izaguirre: Can still offer a job to the team with good wing attributes, composure and off the ball with a willingness to work for the team.

Kolo Toure: Fantastic all round centreback with incredible mentals. Slow player for teams playing with a high line and attacking football, should be played in the cover role in this case perhaps in a back 3.

Efe Ambrose: All round great stats again and fairly athletic could do a solid job for a few years. (Personal opinions aside.)

Erik Sviatchenko: Again another fantastic all round defender, with slow acceleration but good pace when he gets going. Can play in any formation and should be considered a key player.

Joso Simunovic: Aerially dominant with good bravery and aggression should win most aerial battles, unless up against a superior team. Youth on his side could do a job for the next decade.

Eoghan O`Connell: Young talent from the ranks, all round defender but slow should be played as a ball playing defender due to his low aggression and off the ball.

Dedrick Boyata: Looks good for most stats, then low composure, concentration and anticipation makes for a poor defender overall. Could be a back up player or sold on.

Analysis: Lustig, Tierney, Toure/Sviatchenko with Ambrose/Simunovic make a formidable back four for any team. Gamboa as a good back up for a few years until lustig goes, Izaguirre will do a job for a season or two, the central defence is too bloated though and should be cut when players are back from injurys.

Midfielders

Scott Brown: Incredible mentals, Leader. Captain. Great ball winning midfielder and should be key to starting most attacks. Can have a clause in his contract which will trigger an extension for a year.

Kristoffer Ajer: Incredible mentals for his age, can be utilised in a number of roles due to his high versatility, should work on his passing and tackling and come become one of the best central midfielders in the team. If planning on playing at centreback, should work on his heading as it is quite low for a tall player.

Liam Henderson: Decent young prospect needs a lot of work to develop into a first team player though.

Nir Bitton: Not a fast player but with good movement and passing, high composure and decisions with a good first touch, he should be the player to drag find pockets of space to always offer an outlet for a pass.

Stuart Armstrong: Decent midfielder, work rate is a little low for my liking as well as his stamina. Should be used as a back up for injuries. Not Convinced by him.

Callum McGregor: Good box to box midfielder, with good mentals for a young academy graduate, should work on his tackles in order to become a more rounded midfielder.

Tom Rogic: Great first touch, anticipation, composure and vision makes for the key man to influence attacks. Decent dribbling, passing and off the ball makes him a good player to drive at defences but look to lay the ball off due to his lack of speed.

Ryan Christie: Good young attacking prospect for Rogic`s position, needs to work on his positioning in order to be able to affect the game more, decision making should also be worked on.

Analysis: Brown, Bitton and Rogic should all be first names on the team sheets, Ajer is highly promising and should be mentored by Brown. The rest of the midfield is expendable if better options become available.

ATTACKERS

Patrick Roberts: Tricky, pacey winger who is more suited to cut inside with the ability to change games on his own. Needs to work on his decision making and concentration in order to become top class.

Scott Sinclair: Absolute flying machine, should dribble around most defenders, could use with work on his passing and his composure in order to be a more effective finisher cutting in from the wing.

James Forrest: Another speed merchant, but should be used for wing play only with work needed on his crossing and composure, he should be told to lay the ball off often.

Gary Mackay Steven: Injury Prone, but has the ability to beat most players with his skill. Needs to work on passing and decision making to be more effective.

Kris Commons: Versatile midfielder can play virtually anywhere in the attacking third but relatively slow. Commons still has something to add to the team before being shipped on or retiring.

Nadir Ciftci: Average forward, should be used as a back up for injuries before being replaced with someone better.

Leigh Griffiths: Star Striker, hero to the fans. Has good pace and great finishing ability, he should lead the line and look to beat defenders using the offside trap. Could be given the PPM moves into channels to drag the defensive line if playing with a single striker.

Moussa Dembele: One of the hottest prospect in Europe, pace power and technique, need works on his first touch and work rate but should become the man to take over from Griffiths if using a single striker. Could form the deadliest partnership with Griffiths up front since Sutton, Larsson and Hartson.

Analysis: Great attacking options available in the team. Forrest is the potential weak link and could be replaced. Ciftci should be sold and replaced as soon as possible and Commons will decline with age, bring in a youth prospect to be mentored by him.

SQUAD ANALYSIS:

Squad is too bloated and needs trimming ,will dominate the SPFL but should be strengthened by quality youth and some first team players in order to compete in the champions league proper.

Been waiting for this mate. 

This year I have really tried to embrace the ethos of getting in youngsters to sell on for mega money. It's a tad more realistic than last years save when I won the UCL 3 times in a row. 

Tierney - Sold to Liverpool first Jan window for £23m. They were interested, he went unhappy, played hardball and they stumped up. Still a bit gutted but it is what it is. 

Griffiths - Sold to West Brom first Jan window for £7.5m. Dembele was unreal so didn't feel the need to keep him. 

Dembele - Start of second season. He scored 50 goals first season and Man City etc sniffing round. Negotiated with Dortmund to £35m. Had to take it!

Even though I'm getting all this cash in. I'm enjoying the realistic approach of getting it in and trying not to just go out and spend it all. Feels rewarding. 

ive focused more on giving our youths a chance this time round instead of bringing in lots of signings.  decided to bring as many of the promising youths into the first team squad and kept the money for one or two key signings as well as shift as much of the deadwood as possible.

semper
gamboa, kolo, lustig, KT
brown, bitton
bentivegna, schaub, sinclair
dembele

gordon
ralston, erik, o'connell, church
ajer, rogic
aitchison, christie, roberts
griffiths

bentivegna was brought in from palermo for 6m. quite pricey, but for a 20 y.o with solid stats for a winger and bags more potential it seems like a good investment. i was also thinking about the inevitable departure of roberts so wanted to have that position covered.

thats pushed roberts to backup for the LW slot, and after this season ill be looking to bring in zekhnini to replace him, although odd might prove difficult to negotiate with. i tried signing him from the start, they agreed to 4m but only once they brought in a replacement, a couple of days before deadline day they still hadnt signed anyone so i had to cancel the transfer.

schaub was a steal at 1.5m. he was great for me in the beta although has had a bit of a slow start this time round.

ill look to play ralston as much as i can over the season to try and develop him as much as possible. church is another younster who looks like he could be a top LB in the future (although only ever a backup as long as KT is here).

aitchison has been sensational, 8 goals from about 8 games playing on the right wing and 2 of them came as a substitute when i was drawing at tynecastle. he turned the game on its head an it finished 3-1.

really excited about the youths this year. KT had an upgrade since the beta (tackling up to 14 from 7 as well as other stat boosts).

On 15/11/2016 at 18:41, donnelly67 said:

Been waiting for this mate. 

This year I have really tried to embrace the ethos of getting in youngsters to sell on for mega money. It's a tad more realistic than last years save when I won the UCL 3 times in a row. 

Tierney - Sold to Liverpool first Jan window for £23m. They were interested, he went unhappy, played hardball and they stumped up. Still a bit gutted but it is what it is. 

Griffiths - Sold to West Brom first Jan window for £7.5m. Dembele was unreal so didn't feel the need to keep him. 

Dembele - Start of second season. He scored 50 goals first season and Man City etc sniffing round. Negotiated with Dortmund to £35m. Had to take it!

Even though I'm getting all this cash in. I'm enjoying the realistic approach of getting it in and trying not to just go out and spend it all. Feels rewarding. 

That sounds like a good plan mate, it`s something I am considering doing myself this FM, making some serious money out of youth prospects. It`s how we currently operate and feels correct.

On 16/11/2016 at 09:21, DKB said:

McGougan33

looking forward to see what you do with the rest of the introduction, and how you progress with Celtic

not on fm17 yet, lets see if it will appear under the Xmas three again this year

Thanks mate, good to see you again

18 hours ago, Sean1967 said:

While we're all waiting eagerly, a shameless plug...

A Squad Building Exercise - Celtic

Plug away my friend.

3 hours ago, michealhill said:

ive focused more on giving our youths a chance this time round instead of bringing in lots of signings.  decided to bring as many of the promising youths into the first team squad and kept the money for one or two key signings as well as shift as much of the deadwood as possible.

semper
gamboa, kolo, lustig, KT
brown, bitton
bentivegna, schaub, sinclair
dembele

gordon
ralston, erik, o'connell, church
ajer, rogic
aitchison, christie, roberts
griffiths

bentivegna was brought in from palermo for 6m. quite pricey, but for a 20 y.o with solid stats for a winger and bags more potential it seems like a good investment. i was also thinking about the inevitable departure of roberts so wanted to have that position covered.

thats pushed roberts to backup for the LW slot, and after this season ill be looking to bring in zekhnini to replace him, although odd might prove difficult to negotiate with. i tried signing him from the start, they agreed to 4m but only once they brought in a replacement, a couple of days before deadline day they still hadnt signed anyone so i had to cancel the transfer.

schaub was a steal at 1.5m. he was great for me in the beta although has had a bit of a slow start this time round.

ill look to play ralston as much as i can over the season to try and develop him as much as possible. church is another younster who looks like he could be a top LB in the future (although only ever a backup as long as KT is here).

aitchison has been sensational, 8 goals from about 8 games playing on the right wing and 2 of them came as a substitute when i was drawing at tynecastle. he turned the game on its head an it finished 3-1.

really excited about the youths this year. KT had an upgrade since the beta (tackling up to 14 from 7 as well as other stat boosts).

Looks like a promising team mate, how are you doing your business, over 24 months and stuff?

this was all done in the first window. only at the start of December so far.

hopefully will have some money to spend in jan so I can secure semper on a permanent and have zekhnini tied up for an end of season transfer.  don't really want to disrupt the team too much as unbeaten in the league, won the league cup and in the knockout of the CL.  feel like the team is fine for the rest of this season although could do with bolstering the youths a bit

ive seen some people talk about getting a boosted transfer budget for the January window but no sign of that in my game (didn't get it in the beta either).  have many people had the boost?

On 19/11/2016 at 19:40, donnelly67 said:

Quick one McGougan - Why does the first sentence say Welcome BACK Brendan?

It was meant as a word play, Brendan has said he learned a lot from Tommy Burns and is indebted to him. Burns who was Mr.Celtic. So it was as if he had already been there somehow and it felt like home to him,  if that makes any sense?

On 17/11/2016 at 20:32, michealhill said:

this was all done in the first window. only at the start of December so far.

hopefully will have some money to spend in jan so I can secure semper on a permanent and have zekhnini tied up for an end of season transfer.  don't really want to disrupt the team too much as unbeaten in the league, won the league cup and in the knockout of the CL.  feel like the team is fine for the rest of this season although could do with bolstering the youths a bit

ive seen some people talk about getting a boosted transfer budget for the January window but no sign of that in my game (didn't get it in the beta either).  have many people had the boost?

Good spending, your board must have been more rewarding than mine! 

Did you manage to get both players in? I do fancy getting youths through the academy and selling on, but the board again are proving pernickety when it comes to upgrading the youth facilities.

No sign of a booster budget for me either, now halfway through the second season and due to good money management I got an increase that January there.

On 17/11/2016 at 21:34, donnelly67 said:

It's definitely made it more fun and challenging. 

For instance I'm not walking the league. Didn't do treble in first season, a few draws and a few defeats but feels much more authentic 

I done the treble in the first season, could have been a sheer fluke though although I dominated the league, Europe is the real test for me and I am enjoying that, not qualified from any of my 2 group stages yet and finished bottom on both occasions. Had Awful groups though tbf.

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 21:41, McGougan33 said:

Thanks mate, hope all is well with you and the family.

I look forward to making this a successful thread. HH

Good thanks buddy. Finally found you on steam if your wondering who the weirdo was that added you lol. Hows life?

Been looking forward to this for some time!!!

Are you lot happy with the how the players turned out?

Think this is the first save I've took my time at the start. Usually like to get things done quickly.....Anyyyyway...

Been tinkering with tactics but decided to stick with a 4-2-3-1. Made it to the group stages in the Champions League but not sure if I will stick with it for Europe. Not usually one for 4-2-3-1 but it seems to be working so far.

Tactic.PNG

My signings were a lot better than expected. I got rid of Ciftci and Ambrose and I've tried to do the Celtic way of signing players with some potential.

Transfers 2016.PNG

The two losses in my friendlies were me tinkering but friendlies are not that important. I really thought I would struggle with Astra but we managed to get through comfortably.

Fixtures.PNG

Just received my Champions League group...Its freaky lol.

Champions League.PNG

Just took over 7 games in in the second season. Have swapped places with Brendan Rodgers after I resigned from Newcastle after gaining promotion as champions last season. Dembele was sold before I got here unfortunately but they signed Berahinho as his replacement so all is not too bad.

just wondering what tactics you guys use for the SPL as I can imagine it being quite a bit different to English leagues tactics?

On 28/11/2016 at 00:15, Larsson1888 said:

Good thanks buddy. Finally found you on steam if your wondering who the weirdo was that added you lol. Hows life?

All good man, studying like a demon at the moment so not on FM or the forums as much as id like to be.

On 28/11/2016 at 00:29, Larsson1888 said:

Been looking forward to this for some time!!!

Are you lot happy with the how the players turned out?

Think this is the first save I've took my time at the start. Usually like to get things done quickly.....Anyyyyway...

Been tinkering with tactics but decided to stick with a 4-2-3-1. Made it to the group stages in the Champions League but not sure if I will stick with it for Europe. Not usually one for 4-2-3-1 but it seems to be working so far.

Tactic.PNG

My signings were a lot better than expected. I got rid of Ciftci and Ambrose and I've tried to do the Celtic way of signing players with some potential.

Transfers 2016.PNG

The two losses in my friendlies were me tinkering but friendlies are not that important. I really thought I would struggle with Astra but we managed to get through comfortably.

Fixtures.PNG

Just received my Champions League group...Its freaky lol.

Champions League.PNG

I had started off with a 4-2-3-1 high pressing, but for the life of me no matter how much I had the individual tactical instructions and team instructions onto press, they just didn`t seem to do it. I think OI`S might be hugely important for that, and they`re not something I usually use

On 29/11/2016 at 19:32, WingPlay said:

Just took over 7 games in in the second season. Have swapped places with Brendan Rodgers after I resigned from Newcastle after gaining promotion as champions last season. Dembele was sold before I got here unfortunately but they signed Berahinho as his replacement so all is not too bad.

just wondering what tactics you guys use for the SPL as I can imagine it being quite a bit different to English leagues tactics?

I sold Dembele in my game also for 32.5 mil after his first season, or maybe even in January first season. 

Using a 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-1-2, I play more attacking as that is the Celtic way.

For the first time in a LONG time, I just won the league on the last game of the season.

my 2nd season policy of selling big and loaning youth or buying SPL players backfired massively. 5th in December. Nearly sacked. Spent big in Jan and won league. 

Pre season 2018 another £30m sale. This time Predrag Rajkovic. I have a young French kid Kamara ready to step in hopefully!

Got a day off work Wednesday so will try and take some screenshots. 

On 10/12/2016 at 11:03, CelticCelticCeltic said:

Has anyone managed to keep hold of Tierney for a few seasons?

The board sold him in my game in 1st season Jan, if it wasn't almost a gaurentee that it would happen again I'd consider starting again to try and keep him long term

I think I am the only one so far thats gone through a season and still has him.

It's quiet around here. 

Currently at at the start of Feb on the first season. Made a few observations. Nothing really needs immediate addressing. That was a relief for me as I always play without transfer budgets in the first window. 

GK - Gordon is a solid #1 at domestic level but suspect in European competition. Back-up keepers are nothing more than back up. Look to bring someone in after the first season. Lovre Kalinic is usually available. 

RB/LB - would look to replace Gamboa and Izaguirre in first few windows. Tierney will be left back for as long as you can keep him so no need to spend big. Long term replacement for Lustig key. 

CB - centre halfs lacking in pace, drastically. Plenty of options, ideally look for 6'0" plus CB with some pack to partner Sviatchenko. I'm looking to bring in Jerry St. Juste.

CM - a lot of depth here. Lacking a true box-to-box type to replace Brown. Conor Hourihane or John McGinn suits. Armstrong always performs well for me, also give Henderson a chance. 

RW/LW - good here for first season. Roberts loan will expire, try to extend. Forrest plays well despite poor stats. Sinclair class above for me, see out his contract. Try to bring in extra LW, more versatile the better. I got Julian Green from Bayern, can cover RW/LW/CF

CF - very strong here. Dembele is your starter but don't neglect Griffiths. Rotate them and both will get you a good amount of goals. After all in 3 seasons you'll probably still have Griff but will have cashed in on Dembele. Green adds an extra option for me here. 

Deadwood - a lot of players could be put up for sale. Ideally you can generate £10 million plus over the first two windows. If like me you disable budgets then loan them out, more chance of selling then. 

17 hours ago, Sean1967 said:

It's quiet around here. 

Currently at at the start of Feb on the first season. Made a few observations. Nothing really needs immediate addressing. That was a relief for me as I always play without transfer budgets in the first window. 

GK - Gordon is a solid #1 at domestic level but suspect in European competition. Back-up keepers are nothing more than back up. Look to bring someone in after the first season. Lovre Kalinic is usually available. 

RB/LB - would look to replace Gamboa and Izaguirre in first few windows. Tierney will be left back for as long as you can keep him so no need to spend big. Long term replacement for Lustig key. 

CB - centre halfs lacking in pace, drastically. Plenty of options, ideally look for 6'0" plus CB with some pack to partner Sviatchenko. I'm looking to bring in Jerry St. Juste.

CM - a lot of depth here. Lacking a true box-to-box type to replace Brown. Conor Hourihane or John McGinn suits. Armstrong always performs well for me, also give Henderson a chance. 

RW/LW - good here for first season. Roberts loan will expire, try to extend. Forrest plays well despite poor stats. Sinclair class above for me, see out his contract. Try to bring in extra LW, more versatile the better. I got Julian Green from Bayern, can cover RW/LW/CF

CF - very strong here. Dembele is your starter but don't neglect Griffiths. Rotate them and both will get you a good amount of goals. After all in 3 seasons you'll probably still have Griff but will have cashed in on Dembele. Green adds an extra option for me here. 

Deadwood - a lot of players could be put up for sale. Ideally you can generate £10 million plus over the first two windows. If like me you disable budgets then loan them out, more chance of selling then. 

will be getting the game for Xmas from the kids, they just don't know it yet, so will be joining in some time in the holiday's with my input/experience

but your approach seems like a similar to the one that I will take

Just finished my first season as Celtic,

League - Winners - 34 wins 3 draws and 1 loss. The loss coming at home to dundee  2-3, they had 3 shots we had 20.

Champions League - Lost to Arsenal in the first knockout round. Got through a group of Lyon,Leicester and Leverkusen

Scottish League Cup - Winners 2-1 against Aberdeen

Scottish Cup - Winners 4-0 agains Partick Thistle

Players In

Summer;

Linus Wahlqvist - £2.5 Million

Kuki - £800k

Nikola Milenkovic - £450k

Ademola Lookman £3 Million

Winter;

Bingourou Kamara £3.2 Million

Luis Henrique £1.5 Million

Players Out

Summer;

Ciftci Loan Fee £650k

Lustig £2.5 Million

Bailly £300k

Fasan £27k

Ambrose £400k

Sviatchenko Loan Fee £2 Million

Simunovic Loan Fee £1.3 Million

Mackay-Steven Loan Fee £500k

Winter;

McGregor Loan Fee £325k

Griffiths Loan Fee £1.3 Million

Boyata Loan Fee £250k

Not sure how ill be able to keep hold of my young players, all seem to be gathering interest from Europes elite clubs. Especially Dembele who got 52 goals in all competitions, needed 2 more to break Jimmy Mcgrory's record in a season.

Team for season 2;

Gk - Kamara/Gordon

Rb - Wahlqvist/Ralston

Lb - Tierney/Church

Cb -Milenkovic/O'Connell/Llori(Free)/Bell

Cm - Ajer/Pasalic(£2.9m)/Van Ginkel (£4.9m)/Brown

Rw - Sinclair/Maitland-Niles(free)

Lw - Lookman/Willock(free)

Am - Rogic/Kuki

St - Dembele/Luis Henrique

Struggling with selling players only Biton left on a permanent deal £3.5m. Loaned the majority out with fees.

Switch between 4-4-2 and 4-2-3-1

Been playing a 4411 as my main tactic and using a 4141 when needed. 

High tempo, possession based tactic. Dominating possession since implementing it. Goals are flying in and tight at the back, looking to make it even tighter next season. 

Made 3 signings so far; Diego Poyet, Julian Green and Linus Wahlqvist. Lovre Kalinic and Matt Knox coming in at the end of the season and working on tying up a few more youngsters. 

Follow it here:

I'm a Celtic fan playing as Palace and can't believe I was able to sign Armstrong and Simunovic for a combined fee of under 1.5 million especially as they both develop so fantastically well, Armstrong in particular but I'm in my fourth season and Simunovic's passing stats rival and perhaps even better those of Virgil Van Dijk.

So got the game for Xmas and have started up a game

Movement so far

Lustig out, his natural fitness way to low for my liking for a full back
Bitton out, his psysical stats aren't good enought to cover central midfield in my 4-4-2
Ciftci out, goes without saying
Boyata out, not good enough
Bailly out, not good enough
Efe left on a free, just thankfull to get rid of him
Henderson left on a 5 month loan to get him first team football, as McGregor and Armstrong was infront of him for the most attacking CM place

Total outs so far: £6m

New arrivals

Callum Paterson, Hearts
Jerome Onguene, Sochaux
John McGinn, Hibs
Shay Given, Stoke, loan

Paterson have taken over at right back, always nice with a Scottish right back, and will become a more than decent backup once I get in a position to get a quality right back in
Onguene will battle with Sviatchenko and Jozo for the central defense places, and with both of them out injured at the start of the season, no brain buy IMO as he already is more than good enough for the SPL and potential to be a quality European defender
McGinn is playing back up to Brown and Ajer, good Scottish squad player
Given came "home" with both Gordon and de Vries out injured, hopefully I'll be able to bring in a quality keeper for next season

Total ins: £7.75m

+ Daryl Hogan, Dundalk, signed up on a bosman, so he joins for free in December, decent backup on low wages

CL group stage assured with wins over Valetta, Varder and Qurabag, no real hope of making it to the CL knock out stage as I've come up against Arsenal, Bayern and Sporting

Going back to Tierney, I still have him and it's 2022 now. He got angry a few times in the first few years and Lawwell did accept a few bids for him but every time I argued and they let me off. Probably because I've made £220m transfer profit in my 6 years. I still have Dembers aswell

Currently doing a Celtic save and really enjoying it. Walking the league of course, giving me the opportunity to play fit and rested teams in Europe. Didn't make it through the CL group (3rd behind PSG and Napoli), but then kicked Monaco and Schalke out of Europa League. Pulled of to sign Roberts permanently in Jan für 14 Mio €, also got in Toni Lato for 4 Mio after having him on loan for the first half. Also got in Bakayoko from Monaco as first-choice box-to-box in Jan.

Team looks mainly like this:

Gordon (will look to upgrade keeper in summer 17)
Lustig (with Gamboa backing up)
Boyata (seemed like the best option because he's quite quick)
Simunovic (sold Sviatchenko to raise funds)
Tierney (ratating with Lato who's developing awesome. Set for the next 15 years with those two)
Ajer (as the more holding of both MFs, backed up by Bitton/Brown)
Bakayoko (used to be Brwo(Ajer, but both too slow for the BBM role)

Roberts (on. fire.)
Rogic/Christie (both doing equally well)
Sinclair

Dembele (shame for Griffith, but he's a beast. Was out for 8 weeks thoughm and then Griffith started scoring two a game...)

I have Zuculini coming in on a free in summer to rotate with Bakayoko (who i intend to buy for his 8 Mio clause), so have to decide whether to keep Bitton or Brown to rotate with Ajer, both slow-ish with brown being the better all around player, old though. Also looking for top DC talent, because Kolo will leave.

Only thing is, teams start sniffing around my star players, will have to see how to keep them happy. Hope to win the Europa League to add some silverware...

12 hours ago, Time_Consumer said:

Currently doing a Celtic save and really enjoying it. Walking the league of course, giving me the opportunity to play fit and rested teams in Europe. Didn't make it through the CL group (3rd behind PSG and Napoli), but then kicked Monaco and Schalke out of Europa League. Pulled of to sign Roberts permanently in Jan für 14 Mio €, also got in Toni Lato for 4 Mio after having him on loan for the first half. Also got in Bakayoko from Monaco as first-choice box-to-box in Jan.

Tierney (ratating with Lato who's developing awesome. Set for the next 15 years with those two)

Roberts (on. fire.)
Sinclair

Dembele (shame for Griffith, but he's a beast. Was out for 8 weeks thoughm and then Griffith started scoring two a game...)

I have Zuculini coming in on a free in summer to rotate with Bakayoko (who i intend to buy for his 8 Mio clause), so have to decide whether to keep Bitton or Brown to rotate with Ajer, both slow-ish with brown being the better all around player, old though. Also looking for top DC talent, because Kolo will leave.

Only thing is, teams start sniffing around my star players, will have to see how to keep them happy. Hope to win the Europa League to add some silverware...

Jerome Ongueno have been brilliant for me so far in season 1 and still have plenty of room for improvement - Have set up a January transfer for a South African defender, Rivaldo Coetzee, he has brilliant stats in every important area besides tackling, hoping to improve that enough to make him a world class defenders, my scouts love him, but haven't tried him out, but thinking that there should be enough SPL matches to get him to improve 

10 hours ago, DKB said:

Jerome Ongueno have been brilliant for me so far in season 1 and still have plenty of room for improvement - Have set up a January transfer for a South African defender, Rivaldo Coetzee, he has brilliant stats in every important area besides tackling, hoping to improve that enough to make him a world class defenders, my scouts love him, but haven't tried him out, but thinking that there should be enough SPL matches to get him to improve 

After all, i decided on loaning in Rob Holding and buy some Argentinian guy from Roma. All in all no world beaters, but solid. 

BTW, i actually did win the Europa League first season. After Monaco and Schalke, i had to get past Donezk and Porto, only to have to play Arsenal in the final. But we pulled it off. Last minute equalizer from Roberts, Griffiths coming in for Dembele in 98. minute, proceeding to score a hat trick, i kid you not; with Arsenal only managing to score one more. So a solid 4:2 after extra time. 

Off-season was all about getting rid of dead wood from the U20s and loanees who come back and won't make it, to clear funds and ressources. Besides above mentioned defenders i managed to buy Rajkovic, who actually did get a work permit after appeal. Huge transfer! I also did not buy Bakayoko after all, because incoming Zuculini seems to be the better player (and on a Bosman) and i can't/woud rather not splash 8 mio for the bench. I opted for McGinn as backup instead, coming in for about a million €. Scottish, young, decent and a natural b2b - perfect

I also sold Rogic. He had a good season, but in the end it was Christie who just had the better numbers, so i decided to cash in. 7.5 mio € was solid as well. With Armstrong coming back from loan and Valverde coming in (loan from Real) i have decent backup.

I also sold Gamboa and got in Cameron Dummigan from Oldham, young and British.

Oh and another one, Ajer has been quite unhappy all season (despite being a top3 player at Celtic with 18 years of age...), but calmed down after winning the Euro Cup - managed to extend his contract through 2022 without a buyout clause, massive.

This is a really fun save so far. Next up: surviving the CL group stage. 

Caique has been my number 1 since January of first season ( looking at about 7 years now) and has only moaned once about leaving, solid so definitely worth a look if anyone needs a keeper. I lost Gordon to retirement in November 1st season so he was a panic buy but well worth it

On 29/12/2016 at 19:05, DKB said:

Movement so far

Bitton out, his psysical stats aren't good enought to cover central midfield in my 4-4-2
Henderson left on a 5 month loan to get him first team football, as McGregor and Armstrong was infront of him for the most attacking CM place

New arrivals

Callum Paterson, Hearts
Jerome Onguene, Sochaux
John McGinn, Hibs
Shay Given, Stoke, loan

Paterson have taken over at right back, always nice with a Scottish right back, and will become a more than decent backup once I get in a position to get a quality right back in
Onguene will battle with Sviatchenko and Jozo for the central defense places, and with both of them out injured at the start of the season, no brain buy IMO as he already is more than good enough for the SPL and potential to be a quality European defender
Given came "home" with both Gordon and de Vries out injured, hopefully I'll be able to bring in a quality keeper for next season

+ Daryl Hogan, Dundalk, signed up on a bosman, so he joins for free in December, decent backup on low wages

CL group stage assured with wins over Valetta, Varder and Qurabag, no real hope of making it to the CL knock out stage as I've come up against Arsenal, Bayern and Sporting

Well did make it through the CL group, but have come up against Juventus in the 1th knock out, auch could turn ugly

The transfer record was broken in the January transfer window, as Gordon had made some bad mistakes at times, so welcome Aussie national keeper Matthew Ryan who had been transfer listed at Valencia, haven't had him before in FM, so looking forward to see what he can do

Had to sign Christ Kouassi due to IRL, so the long term replacement for Brown is in the house

The defense was strengthened with South African national defender Rivaldo Coetzee, who has bad tackling (10) but very good stats in almost every important area, and have plenty of room to improve, at £300k going to £875k he is a certain steal

Scottish duo Jason Cummings and Greg Kittie was transfer listed by requests, so swapped in and signed them to be squad players with plenty of room to improve for both of them with little cost

---

de Vries was allowed to leave on a free to Cardiff to save his wages

Sviatchenko make a lot of noice about leaving,but the right offer didn't come in

Clubs tried to sign up Ajer as well, but very low offers came in, so he stays as well

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/12/2016 at 17:19, donnelly67 said:

For the first time in a LONG time, I just won the league on the last game of the season.

my 2nd season policy of selling big and loaning youth or buying SPL players backfired massively. 5th in December. Nearly sacked. Spent big in Jan and won league. 

Pre season 2018 another £30m sale. This time Predrag Rajkovic. I have a young French kid Kamara ready to step in hopefully!

Got a day off work Wednesday so will try and take some screenshots. 

Sounds exciting mate although a bit risque.

That's a solid fee for raj, I'm hoping to get something similar if I can get a good understudy in.

On 10/12/2016 at 11:03, CelticCelticCeltic said:

Has anyone managed to keep hold of Tierney for a few seasons?

The board sold him in my game in 1st season Jan, if it wasn't almost a gaurentee that it would happen again I'd consider starting again to try and keep him long term

Larsson pretty much, my board sold him to Man Utd.

On 12/12/2016 at 14:13, Sean1967 said:

It's quiet around here. 

Some good observations there, be interesting to hear how it pans out. The deadwood at £10 million is perhaps high, but if you can achieve it more power to you.

On 15/12/2016 at 11:39, XxBowmanxX said:

Just finished my first season as Celtic,

League - Winners - 34 wins 3 draws and 1 loss. The loss coming at home to dundee  2-3, they had 3 shots we had 20.

Champions League - Lost to Arsenal in the first knockout round. Got through a group of Lyon,Leicester and Leverkusen

Scottish League Cup - Winners 2-1 against Aberdeen

Scottish Cup - Winners 4-0 agains Partick Thistle

Players In

Summer;

Linus Wahlqvist - £2.5 Million

Kuki - £800k

Nikola Milenkovic - £450k

Ademola Lookman £3 Million

Winter;

Bingourou Kamara £3.2 Million

Luis Henrique £1.5 Million

Players Out

Summer;

Ciftci Loan Fee £650k

Lustig £2.5 Million

Bailly £300k

Fasan £27k

Ambrose £400k

Sviatchenko Loan Fee £2 Million

Simunovic Loan Fee £1.3 Million

Mackay-Steven Loan Fee £500k

Winter;

McGregor Loan Fee £325k

Griffiths Loan Fee £1.3 Million

Boyata Loan Fee £250k

Not sure how ill be able to keep hold of my young players, all seem to be gathering interest from Europes elite clubs. Especially Dembele who got 52 goals in all competitions, needed 2 more to break Jimmy Mcgrory's record in a season.

Solid season, loaning griffiths out was too much of a risk for me but glad it paid off for you. Seems to be quite low fees all round.

On 16/12/2016 at 12:36, XxBowmanxX said:

Team for season 2;

Gk - Kamara/Gordon

Rb - Wahlqvist/Ralston

Lb - Tierney/Church

Cb -Milenkovic/O'Connell/Llori(Free)/Bell

Cm - Ajer/Pasalic(£2.9m)/Van Ginkel (£4.9m)/Brown

Rw - Sinclair/Maitland-Niles(free)

Lw - Lookman/Willock(free)

Am - Rogic/Kuki

St - Dembele/Luis Henrique

Struggling with selling players only Biton left on a permanent deal £3.5m. Loaned the majority out with fees.

Switch between 4-4-2 and 4-2-3-1

You have a fairly decent semblance of a team there. Van Ginkel was a great buy as well as Pasalic.

On 20/12/2016 at 12:22, Sean1967 said:

Been playing a 4411 as my main tactic and using a 4141 when needed. 

High tempo, possession based tactic. Dominating possession since implementing it. Goals are flying in and tight at the back, looking to make it even tighter next season. 

Made 3 signings so far; Diego Poyet, Julian Green and Linus Wahlqvist. Lovre Kalinic and Matt Knox coming in at the end of the season and working on tying up a few more youngsters. 

Follow it here:

Shameless plug but i like it :cool: I will be sure to give it a read bud

On 26/12/2016 at 15:35, OhHoopedOne said:

I'm a Celtic fan playing as Palace and can't believe I was able to sign Armstrong and Simunovic for a combined fee of under 1.5 million especially as they both develop so fantastically well, Armstrong in particular but I'm in my fourth season and Simunovic's passing stats rival and perhaps even better those of Virgil Van Dijk.

I still own Simo, Armstrong is a very hit and miss player unless you get his position right.

On 29/12/2016 at 18:05, DKB said:

Movement so far

New arrivals

Callum Paterson, Hearts
Jerome Onguene, Sochaux
John McGinn, Hibs
Shay Given, Stoke, loan

Nice movement, Bitton flatters to deceive in this years game for me. I assume Onguene took up most of the outgoing transfer fees?

On 30/12/2016 at 10:57, seanydude said:

Going back to Tierney, I still have him and it's 2022 now. He got angry a few times in the first few years and Lawwell did accept a few bids for him but every time I argued and they let me off. Probably because I've made £220m transfer profit in my 6 years. I still have Dembers aswell

That's an insane profit, how are you managing to pull it off?

On 02/01/2017 at 10:11, Time_Consumer said:

Roberts (on. fire.)
Sinclair

Very impressed you managed to keep roberts! Some solid buys in there and the core basis of a strong team.

On 04/01/2017 at 10:05, seanydude said:

Caique has been my number 1 since January of first season ( looking at about 7 years now) and has only moaned once about leaving, solid so definitely worth a look if anyone needs a keeper. I lost Gordon to retirement in November 1st season so he was a panic buy but well worth it

I am looking for a back up to rajkovic in case I need to sell him, so will give him a look.

On 04/01/2017 at 10:55, DKB said:

Well did make it through the CL group, but have come up against Juventus in the 1th knock out, auch could turn ugly

The transfer record was broken in the January transfer window, as Gordon had made some bad mistakes at times, so welcome Aussie national keeper Matthew Ryan who had been transfer listed at Valencia, haven't had him before in FM, so looking forward to see what he can do

Had to sign Christ Kouassi due to IRL, so the long term replacement for Brown is in the house

The defense was strengthened with South African national defender Rivaldo Coetzee, who has bad tackling (10) but very good stats in almost every important area, and have plenty of room to improve, at £300k going to £875k he is a certain steal

Scottish duo Jason Cummings and Greg Kittie was transfer listed by requests, so swapped in and signed them to be squad players with plenty of room to improve for both of them with little cost

---

de Vries was allowed to leave on a free to Cardiff to save his wages

Sviatchenko make a lot of noice about leaving,but the right offer didn't come in

Clubs tried to sign up Ajer as well, but very low offers came in, so he stays as well

Group of death to qualify from, well done! How did Matthew Ryan turn out?

I will be looking at Kouassi shortly, the Coetzee signing is an interesting one.

On 13/01/2017 at 21:39, DKB said:

Celtic winning two "major" trophy's only a couple of hours apart

gMSpkWS.png

Only one show in town :cool:

Sorry I haven't been about as much as I would have liked guys, work and studying has taken over my life.

I have 2 seasons updates worth to do and not really the time for it, so a very brief summary is.......... Never got out of the CL group stages, but always qualified for group stages. Won the domestic treble twice in a row, looking to make this year the 3rd in the most dominant start I have had in a long time. 

Between season 1 and season 2 I went on a 33 game competitive unbeaten run, and between season 2 and the start of 3 I have went on a 7 game unbeaten run. Season 2 was definitely my most dominant season, I only lost once in the league and lost 4 of my CL fixtures which I will be looking to improve on if I stop getting group of deaths.

The current first team looks like this.

GK: Rajkovic/Gordon

DR: Lustig/Gamboa

DC: Wahlqvist/Simunovic

DC: Sviatchenko/O`Connell

DL: Gersbach/Mings

CM: Ajer/Brown

CM: Poyet/Bitton

CM: Ilsanker/McGregor

AMC: Rogic/Sinclair (Either or, I have no preference who starts)

ST: Kuki/Parigini

ST: Griffiths/Larsson.

I plan to bring McCart, Church and Ralston through into rotational then first team berths. Need a solid back up for Ilsanker and Poyet, but ideally want to find some decent youth to do so. I have Forrest still to meet european quotas but I will get rid of him. Ryan Christie remains as a solid back up for the AMC position, tried to sell Gary Mackay Stevens but no one wanted him.

Coaches are something I have struggled with. I will update the third comment of this thread with my season 1 coaches, and any I find that I can get in this season

I saw this thread, and decided to start a save. Got out of my CL group, although it was probably the easiest group I could of gotten, and arsenal knocked me out 5-4 over two legs. I have made some great long term signings namely Rajkovic, Eggestein, Melegoni, and Souttar. I was wondering though, is it possible to increase prize money from the Scottish league in the game. Sorry if that's a stupid question.

35 minutes ago, SRVRG said:

I saw this thread, and decided to start a save. Got out of my CL group, although it was probably the easiest group I could of gotten, and arsenal knocked me out 5-4 over two legs. I have made some great long term signings namely Rajkovic, Eggestein, Melegoni, and Souttar. I was wondering though, is it possible to increase prize money from the Scottish league in the game. Sorry if that's a stupid question.

Welcome to the family! 

Nice result there, and unlucky with Arsenal. The signings are good, hopefully you can keep them long term. In game no I wouldn't say so, it would have to be done in the editor buddy.

Cheers man, it is a lot of fun at the moment. Yeah, I kind of figured. I don't think I'll go the editor route, might have to come close to bankruptcy a few times, but it should work out long term, right? (Ahem Leeds)

Group of death to qualify from, well done! How did Matthew Ryan turn out?

Rather decent, Kalinic haven't been anywhere close to replacing him, got an English newgen keeper in during the 2018 summer, who most likely will replace him down the line

I assume Onguene took up most of the outgoing transfer fees?

He costed a combined £5.5m fee (some over months) and had to offer him a rather decent salary as PSG put in an offer for him as well, but haven't regreted spending that money, he is amazing and after 2 season he still have room to improve

I plan to bring McCart, Church and Ralston through into rotational then first team berths

I let go of McCart as I couldn't progress his speed enough to meet that requirements I like for my players. Ralston doesn't seem to make it either but he will stay for another season, might to out on loan. Church is progressing nicely, had to put him on DMC, roaming playmaker training for him to improve his natural fitness, it was low from the start (don't know if it is random or fixed?)

Archived