Sports Interactive Community
Internomad

Didn't mean to do that!

So I decided to go on Holiday while I was having dinner but unfortunately for me I was away longer than I thought, also another mistake I made was in not checking the state of my players contracts.  So I come back off holiday, to find myself in October of 2017 with just two senior players and approximately 9 under 23's!

So how do I deal with this?  I am managing Grimsby Town in League 2 and most decent free agents will not come to my club because of this.  I am having to dig around in the slime of the free agent pool and see if I can find a few gems.  The problem is that I need almost a brand new squad, something like 20 players minimum.  So how would you guys go about solving this problem? 

Put your return from holiday on the day before all your player's contracts expire, or assign another person at the club to renew the contracts.

47 minutes ago, Gareth-s0 said:

Put your return from holiday on the day before all your player's contracts expire, or assign another person at the club to renew the contracts.

I think you misunderstand me.  This is the problem I have got, now I have to solve it, as in real life I could not go back to before the contracts expired, so I just have to get on with the situation as it is now!  What makes it harder is that there is a takeover in progress so I am not allowed to bring any players in at the moment.

In that case write off the season, just get enough bodies in to cover the positions and try your hardest to keep the club up. Use the whole season to plan your next campaign and have everything in place to ensure that on the 1st July your squad is all signed up and ready for pre season.

This is FM.  There's no time for dinner, bathing, work, etc.

In all honesty though, I'm curious how you get on with this.  I've wondered how I could recover when I think I completely screwed up a save.

I did that long ago on FM05, when I usually went on holiday until pre-season and the Ass Man did contract renewals. Both practices were immediately dropped after one year when the Ass Man's contract expired so I returned from holiday having lost a vast majority of my first-team players. I did the best I could to rebuild but I knew I'd struggle and soon ended up leaving the club I was at after it was actually going well (a rarity in those days). It was tough to take but I just did the best I could to make do and very much learned from the experience, not for the last time.

Well I was in a similar boat in CM03/04. Not through holiday but I foolishly agreed to a job offer before looking where they were. Rock bottom of the then known Division 3 and relegated to non league conference division. 

So once pre season kicked in I had 3 senior players and the rest left for pastures new and away from any format of administration or poor finances! 

So the long task began trying To source free transfers through out pre season.  What a task it was! Amazingly I scavenged a squad together and started out life in the conference. We won the the title and returned to the football league. By that time I think the next CM released and I let this save go stale. Such a shame!

Jump off that sinking ship and head to dry land, ie another club. Could be interesting to watch how they cope once you've left them in the lurch.

Don't worry my man just reload the game and do it differently! You ARE allowed, mate! lol :applause:

Spoiler

But don't let SI Games know that you're cheatin' aight!

Jump before you're pushed, put it down to experience, and find another club!

or

See if you can get some decent loanees in from a parent club/higher rep club, and use them while you scour the freebies. 

11 hours ago, Auqakuh said:

This is why you use rolling saves.

Or if you are going on holiday, don't set it indefinitely, set it to return at a specific date.

As for the problem, I'd start again if you can't reload to an earlier date. I know being a manager of a club for us is nor realistic, but i like to keep as much realism as possible. And a chairman wouldn't let you run his club in to the ground like that, not signing any players and just having two on the books.