Sports Interactive Community
Sign in to follow this  
Mad Fortune

Swansea Way or the highway

So I bought the new Football Manager and tried to play the Swansea Way. And of course failed miserably once and again, the highlights being 0-4 home defeats to Huddersfield and Sunderland.

Inspired by both of Cleon's Art of Possession and the Back to Basics by Herne, I created a possession tactic using defensive mentality:

tactic.jpg

Highly Structured / Defensive

Retain Possession, Push Higher Up, Roam From Positions, Close Down Much More

The possession numbers have been good, usually around 60% but it seems like possession for the sake of it.

We can't create any clear cut chances and the shots on target percentage is far from the 50% Cleon always mentions.

When the striker or the winger gets the ball, he usually just dribbles until he loses it and nobody is making forward runs, not even the CM Attack. 

Defensively we keep making stupid mistakes and sometimes it seems they are not even trying.

All in all, the system reminds of Aitor Karanka's Middlesbrough in real life. No penetration at all and very poor defending. 

How to make Swansea great again?

Your team shape and mentality are all wrong, your set up like you are closing games out.

I think you should bump up your strategy for a start. You said you are possession for the sake of possession and I am not surprised with retain possession+Defensive mentality.

Your backline looks OK for a base but I would also make your DM more adventurous. Providing you have a solid, robust DM with good vision (which I think Leon Britton is) I would look get him on the ball as much as possible and get him to dictate play for the rest of your side, at the moment he is simply doing a cleaning up job, with a defensive mentality in a highly structured system. While at the moment his pass completion is probably around 95%, I imagine he is barely making many forward passes, if any. I would use a DLP there.

Again, your not getting many forward runs because the side is managed by the defensive mentality, particularly in a such a rigid system. You could experiment with flexible or even fluid based on your current player roles, Swansea have some decent players & I also dont agree with the consensus of a highly structured team shape in a possession orientated system one bit. 

Right now I think 4-1-4-1 is the way to go. I have had success with this setup with both possession and counter attacking. You can actually create a perfect combination of that football with that formation, a flexible team shape, Counter mentality and the right TIs tweaks based on your opposition.

Thanks for your answer.

The thinking behind Britton's anchor role was that he wouldn't be the main playmaker but more like Busquets at Barcelona, playing short simple passes.

If Britton was DLP-D for example would you use another playmaking role in the CM positions?

I chose Highly Structured mainly because I want them to keep it simple. Maybe I should try more fluid shape, but I want the opposition to concentrate on me not the other way round. How did you set up the wide midfield roles in your 4141?

On 12-11-2016 at 11:22, Mad Fortune said:

So I bought the new Football Manager and tried to play the Swansea Way. And of course failed miserably once and again, the highlights being 0-4 home defeats to Huddersfield and Sunderland.

Inspired by both of Cleon's Art of Possession and the Back to Basics by Herne, I created a possession tactic using defensive mentality:

tactic.jpg

Highly Structured / Defensive

Retain Possession, Push Higher Up, Roam From Positions, Close Down Much More

The possession numbers have been good, usually around 60% but it seems like possession for the sake of it.

We can't create any clear cut chances and the shots on target percentage is far from the 50% Cleon always mentions.

When the striker or the winger gets the ball, he usually just dribbles until he loses it and nobody is making forward runs, not even the CM Attack. 

Defensively we keep making stupid mistakes and sometimes it seems they are not even trying.

All in all, the system reminds of Aitor Karanka's Middlesbrough in real life. No penetration at all and very poor defending. 

How to make Swansea great again?

I would recommend reading cleons thread on possession football once more! 

Its a huge difference playing with a control strategy than playing with a defensive strategy. It's all about creating space when on the ball and not giving any space to the opponent when not.

control has by default more width so your players can move around more freely and plays with a higher defensive line to press more efficient. Also the reason why cleon chose a more mobile defensive midfielder; to keep the ball better.

using a defensive strategy your players will be more compact and use a lower defensive line so won't press as efficient.

Not the only differences compared to cleons tactic, but definitely a notable one.