4(flat-2(dm)-1(cm)-2(am)-1(cf)

At work thinking of formations. I will try it and tweak it, but before I do so, any immediate thoughts? Thanks

42121.PNG

I'm playing as Spurs - just lost out to Arsenal on last day of season (1) for the title so need fresh approach. I've been using 4 3 2 1 and find my shadow striker didn't really work well with any forward role, they got in each others way and as a result Kane and Alli had fairly sub par seasons. Thinking Alli in AMs and Kane in CF (s) will be better than SS and TM (s) and a Treq instead of AP (s) with the RPM taking over distribution responsibilities. Using RPM because it is likely to be Eriksen. But on paper maybe an AP (s) or DLP would work better? I'm not seeing good results from wingers/IFs mostly from a defensive point of view... (bug under review for wingers not defending properly), so using width from full backs in attacking mode.

You're going to have problems defending on the flanks especially when the opposition doubles up with a full back. Put the AMC's at ML/MR or AML/AMR, edit the PI's to suit your needs. WM(S) role is very customisable!

Is this really the defensive position you want your team in, or are you really thinking of attacking?

wm (s) is the feedback in almost every post. I think I was editing some more text as you replied.

1) it's raised as a bug and accepted/under review from SI that wm/wg are not defending correctly - they are hugging the touchline when defending and not tracking opposition wingers or full backs... or tucking in to force the opposition out wide. So I'm reluctant to try and block the wings... i'll just accept that I will concede from crosses (which I feel I would do anyway if I tried to stop it).

(Mod note - it's not "accepted" that there is a bug here.  SI are reviewing an issue raised in the bugs forum regarding the defensive positioning of players placed at ML/R.  Whether there is an issue or not remains to be seen, and it certainly doesn't make the game unplayable, as SI have put it).  herne79.

2) my best players are Alli, Eriksen, Coutinho, Dier, Wanyama, Dembele, Lamela... and I've signed lots of young cm's with good potential.. so whilst I agree in general a wm(s) [bug not withstanding], is a good role to have and can be customised... none of the players listed above are accomplished in that role... so I would be putting square pegs in round holes.

to make the defensive formation work as it is ... I should and probably will after they are fluid in the tactic add some TI/PI to make them push higher up and press more.

Sorry if it seems I'm throwing the feedback back in your face ... haha.. I'm not I do like the feedback. without using wm(s) would you change the roles in my current setup? I'm most concerned with the combo of RPM, TQ, AMc ... not roles I often use.

only played 1 game, away to hull won 3-1 ... goals from Alli (AM), Kane (CF) and Rose (FBL[a]) ... but the passing was awful so the tactic needs to be binned... Instead of defence knocking it into the dms and then the RPM... they seemed to play to full backs straight into Coutinho in the Trequirista role who then was isolated often. Frustrating.. desperate to have Coutinho Alli Kane and Eriksen in the same starting 11 but no tactic supporting it unless I put them in non-competent roles.

cant remove the strike through,...it's unintentional!

I wouldn't just bin the tactic straight away, it's only one game. You have no TIs in play so you have seen what way the team plays without instructions and your're not happy with the passing of your defenders. Why not try selecting Play Out Of Defence and see if that changes anything. I quite like the look of the formation, it could very well suit the Chelsea side I have recently taken over as we have strong Central Midfielders but a very poor selection out wide. One thing i would note on your spread of Duties is that you only have 2 players on Defence, this could result your 2 CBs being left isolated meaning your team could be very vulnerable against teams who play on the Counter. 

I was using the same formation with different roles when I first started my save. I found that the middle was too congested and and the flanks were too exposed. I thought the football played was fantastic with a lot of intricate triangular passing but it was hard to get a good balance.

I didn't have very long to play last night, I may go back and review the analysis in more depth, I wonder if I'm better off with cm(s) instead of RPM and as you say add an additional defend duty ... so make my dm(s) a dm (d) and my bwm a DLP (s).

• 2 weeks later...

I re-tinkered with this tactic and now found great success with minor changes. It had been lying dormant in my new save with Derby and I had a wave of injurys to my inside forwards so revived it from the dark shadows..

same shape ... just changed 2 dms and cm role a little ...

DM left = DM (defend) DM right = RPM (support) CM centre = CM (support)

6 - TIs added ...

lower tempo, slightly higher line, close down more, prevent GK distribution, shorter passing

PIs...

GK - pass it short

CMC - get further forward

AMC - hold the ball up

On 11/10/2016 at 10:32, permanentquandary said:

You're going to have problems defending on the flanks especially when the opposition doubles up with a full back. Put the AMC's at ML/MR or AML/AMR, edit the PI's to suit your needs. WM(S) role is very customisable!

Is this really the defensive position you want your team in, or are you really thinking of attacking?

I agree with permanentquandary.

This reminds me of a narrow diamond 4-4-2. I like that formation, but defensively it is limited in its efficacy. When I use a 4-3-1-2 or 4-1-3-2 instead, the players cover the pitch better. This is one of those nuances of FM. The columns and rows in our formations are more rigid than in real life, so you may have to fudge a formation a bit to get players in sensible spots.

If you lined up as a 4-3-2-1, then you could still get that 4-2-3-1 effect when attacking, and your flat three midfield would cover the pitch better when defending.

Archived