[FM17] The Hart Chronicles - Volume II: Adam Hart is 'Yes Man'!

PaulHartman71

What are the budgets looking like this year?

Anyone available to sign?  Maybe try and get an English side as senior affiliate? 

Also check who is being released say around English Conf level as they might sign for you given the similar league rep?  Would be great to see you push for a title run, although will be very hard vs TNS.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5bf64b42680c8ce41d2ad0a3db4e5559.png

Added a few guys in on loan and a new striker on a free in Joel Barnes-Nicholson. 

e5412abe7c68e051beb50c3c9678fb1c.png

A horrific start to the season. We absolutely dominated Barry, within 5 minutes we'd pulled their pants down and slapped them all over the place. The game was in the bag. We had numerous chances throughout the first half to kill them off but we just didn't take them. It was embarrassing watching them equalise in the 2nd half and it felt like a loss not a draw. 

September

01238f9a11cc3cdd6cb4585e1e5826f2.png

A 2-1 win against Aber saw us through in the 2nd round of the Nathaniel MG Cup. It didn't come without it's hiccups as they equalised after we'd taken an early lead and dominated, but thankfully Dean Sherman made sure late on. 

1e087395a7fe1f103a75b4e0680ed06e.png

Goytre United gave us another good game in the next round, but Chris Pennock's late goal prevented extra-time or a replay. 

838e6ab0a1a8b677307fbad7c94d33f3.png

Pretty weird set of results this month as we comfortably won both of our away games, but failed to score and generally played poorly in both of our home games. We looked terrible against Connah's Quay and lost, whilst we struggled to create anything of note against Prestatyn even in-spite of them not threatening us at all. 

54a472c9d853075abbc87b08769d2e95.png

Despite the slow start to the season we surprisingly still find ourselves in 2nd place, although obviously 2nd-6th are on the same amount of points. TNS 5 points clear after 5 games :D 

2879872155176650a1f40bd8c4bd3082.png

Forgot to mention but we sold Andre Davies in the summer for £30K to 2nd tier side Llangefni. He was a decent squad player for us but when they started bidding £10/15K for him I thought I'd see if they'd pay silly money for him, they did so I sold him. I didn't get to reinvest any of that cash due to the club's bad financial status, but it will at least prop us up a bit for a while. No idea where a Welsh 2nd tier side is getting £30K for a CB though, maybe one of their youth players has gone on to be a PL or Championship player and they've milked it in from sell on clauses. 

I guess one cool avenue would be that you do well this season, then maybe the TNS manager gets poached and you get the job there!  You could then get some titles/cups in the bag and maybe even boost your reputation in Europe.

I've sent you a quick PM as I have a question but didn't want to hijack the thread.

20 hours ago, mrdanbartlett said:

I guess one cool avenue would be that you do well this season, then maybe the TNS manager gets poached and you get the job there!  You could then get some titles/cups in the bag and maybe even boost your reputation in Europe.

I've sent you a quick PM as I have a question but didn't want to hijack the thread.

The TNS job would be quite cool, especially as id probably get a little Champions League run. 

This little stint in Wales must be doing wonders to your reputation, no? I reckon the level might not be much higher than you were managing in England, but the simple fact you're playing in Europe might just push you up to better jobs once you go back.

9 minutes ago, noikeee said:

This little stint in Wales must be doing wonders to your reputation, no? I reckon the level might not be much higher than you were managing in England, but the simple fact you're playing in Europe might just push you up to better jobs once you go back.

I certainly hope so. Not been linked with any other jobs just yet, when I'd occasionally get linked before when at English clubs, fingers crossed my next job is in the Conference North/South though as would be frustrating to go back to the 7th tier again after a Europa League spell :D 

October

45e56e557cfdecdd4c15b28356093f88.png

A really strong month, with 4 wins from 5, with the only loss being a narrow away 1-0 at TNS. We looked pretty good at Carmarthen, but it wasn't until the 83rd minute when Pennock made sure of victory, he grabbed another in injury time to get his hat-trick. Despite being 2-0 up at half-time we quite easily could've blown it at Newtown, but thankfully we held strong and stopped them getting a 2nd. Haverfordwest didn't really trouble as once we went ahead, whilst Aber had a man sent off early in the 2nd half of that win, so they never really had a chance and we should really have got 1 or 2 more. 

447fdeca0dcd18c3e44c6d0b464e8ae2.png

TNS are 6 points ahead and unbeaten, it won't be easy to catch them, but we're at least 5 points clear of Prestatyn in 3rd. 

November

2b0c266f2758ed4e0ad9aa2fb22e2e6c.png

Carmarthen put up a fight to try and progress in the Welsh Cup, but overall we just had too much for them, with Chris Cornell's goal putting us through. 

cfa98f4d2d39590a8135f02138cfa919.png

We should really have won this game more convincing than 1-0, but we were never in too much danger of losing to 2nd tier Llandudno. We've made the Nathaniel MC Cup Final after a pretty easy run - Afan Lido will be a test in the final though. 

27dcf4b729213df54d10bd18ca1569bf.png

A mixed month which started off reasonably well with a 2-1 win against Barry, albeit the winner only coming from a penalty, but 3 points is 3 points. We had an off day at home to Airbus who comfortably beat us 2-0, before we could only scrape a point at Connah's Quay who are becoming a bit of a bogey team for us. Thankfully after 2 league games without a goal, we got two through Joel Barnes-Nicholson which helped us beat Bala 2-0. 

Unfortunately Joel Barnes-Nicholson was actually injured in the Bala match and will now miss 8 weeks or so which is a bit of a blow. 

5058a64399858abfbc7e2b1b1a1fa2e0.png

Despite a shaky month in the league we've actually made gains on both TNS and the teams behind us. TNS are now just 3 points behind us and almost within touching distance, whilst Prestatyn and Afan Lido are now 6 points off of us. 

December

6a316757a8de25fa59a1ff04b16060bc.png

The month started off pretty well with a comprehensive 3-0 win away to Prestatyn, who at the time were in 3rd place and the closest side to us. Since then it's not really been plain sailing, as we drew against Carmarthen and Newtown which on paper are both games we'd like to win. We then had a fairly tough double header of away games against Haverfordwest and Afan Lido, but even so, losing both was a real disappointment. We have been without Joel-Barnes Nicholson who is a big player for us, but we should be able to do without him as Carl Pockett is still a decent player too and we won games with him involved. 

83eae7eacd1656eb5ebd057f1b4f720f.png

This poor run of form has basically handed TNS the title as I don't see us coming back from a 9 point deficit. We've got to watch out too as Afan Lido and the others in the pack are coming for us. There's only 3 games left before the split though and barring something crazy happening we'll for sure be in the top half. 

Gosh its all got a little tight!  Shame really that the league really comes down to that last final split section, as you could easily drop well out of the top 3 spots with those tricky games.

Still a good season so far, look forward to the next update.  Be good if you can build something here for another year or 2.

On 3/10/2017 at 16:20, jim owen said:

How long has their manager been there? Are they regularly changing due to the manager getting better offers, or is one guy camped in position

They've had the same guy for about 3 years now. Chris Maxwell, who left Conference South side Bromley to join them. Their previous manager, Wayne Jones, was there for 9 years before that, until he left for League 2 side Burton Albion. 

January (pre-split) 

59d040c9a5f89be00f30bc134bff88e7.png

A tough start to 203 saw us lose our first two games of the season, against Afan Lido and TNS. We restored some pride by beating Aberystwyth 3-1, in what will be our last easy league game of the season. 

9dfd53b2cfed4043861da7c05d66c306.png

We're down to 4th and tbh our form against the better sides recently has me a bit worried. The main positive to take is that unless you get 2nd you're not really guaranteed a European slot anyway, so we've probably got just as good a chance at Europe by winning the Welsh Cup - although that's easier said than done too. 

January (post-split)

a44f07335e3ddb30a4c9f732914f48d7.png

A horrific end to our Nathanial MG Cup run. We had a really bad day and Afan Lido took advantage, admittedly 1 was a wonder goal and another a fluke from a free-kick, but we were really poor and to lose 4-1 in a cup final against anyone is embarrassing. 

2e26b461ee968a7845a2fef24c8399a1.png

We at least ended the month with a win against Connah's Quay, with Chris Cornell coming off the bench to score a late winner after we had blown our early lead.

February

6b3d3b6e0d8d7ce8aac78c93917fa149.png

Our poor form continued this month, as we barely scraped past 2nd tier side Pen-y-Bont to reach the Welsh Cup Quarter Finals. A very late goal from Rory Cusack saved our blushes. 

13260a7f1e5348168be88b30cc123618.png

We did have a tough run of games this month, with 3 away games and a home tie against TNS, but still not great to get 1 point from 12 whatever the circumstances. I think we have missed Joel Barnes-Nicholson who missed all of February as well due to a setback, but he will be back next month so hopefully his return can kick us up a gear as we go into the last stages of the season. 

184fe4fa1e59daf3f6048ef3da1a26dd.png

Afan Lido have pulled away in 2nd place now so we're looking at 3rd place at the absolute highest, with finishing 5th or even 6th a real danger if this form carries on. 

2 minutes ago, mjaferrie said:

Haha!  How has the Welsh stint affected your reputation?

It doesn't seem to have damaged it, but I'm not sure if maybe being outside of England makes me less noticeable/visible to English clubs. Guess it's kind of realistic as I suppose a non-league manager going to Wales would kind of be like going off the radar unless they were winning trophies or noticeably over-performing. 

March

c333c68408e6239fc0d99227d4634748.png

A huge win against Prestatyn sees us through to the Welsh Cup Semis. Richard Walker equalised for us in the 77th minute and tbh I didn't think that leveller would ever come. It looked like it was gonna go to penalties or a late Prestatyn winner, but Walker scored again in extra-time to get us through. A real MOTM performance from him. 

e1de2b5394fd1eb77f42faaccc6ad5b1.png

Prestatyn got some revenge later in the month when they beat us at our place 2-1, after we'd already lost at Connah's Quay a fortnight prior. Dire stuff in the league as we just can't buy a win or some good results at the moment. 

8848a08ba498304c768e9feacdec0364.png

We've slipped down to 5th and with our final 3 games being TNS away and Haverfordwest and Afan Lido at home, I really wouldn't be surprised to see us end up in 6th. It's been woeful. We're obviously guaranteed a spot in that end of season Playoff for Euros places, but I wouldn't be confident at all with their form we're going into it with. 

Our one last hope is the Welsh Cup, as we've got Newtown in the Semi Final and as you can see in the table they're struggling right down the bottom. It's a golden chance to get into the final but in our current form I wouldn't bet on us doing it. 

April

8f0f9524954f24fdf68f930d8a7be2f7.png

We got a decent point at TNS after parking the bus, but then followed that up with a really poor performance at home to Haverfordwest. 

4d0c9be5450b9cf1e26a620aec98f254.png

We at least won't finish 6th which is one positive, but even Prestatyn in 4th our out of sight from us now. 

44d81a218bd4d17c83f3843541dace76.png

The Welsh Cup was where it was at this month though and thankfully we pulled through with a 2-1 win against Newtown, with Chris Pennock and Jonathan Robinson scoring the all important goals to send us through to the final. I'm not sure how they've got to the final but we will actually play bottom of the table Barry Town in the final, which at least on paper seems like a dream draw. I've just looked through to see how they got to the final and they've totally lucked out and every single team they've played on the path to the final has been a team outside of the Welsh Premier League. It really feels like the Welsh Cup is there for the taking but I'm scared shitless we'll bottle it :D 

Rested a few players where we had the depth/players fit for the last game of the season at home to Afan Lido, went a bit more defensive and direct than the usual "counter" I'd play in games I'd expect to possibly lose and this happens...

d9b8eeea4a4a85b316261d222acdf384.png

Rob Bowen the 21 year old 4th choice striker who hasn't played a minute all season pops up with a brace ffs :D 

9164415e0bb2499c0e021d9b0e561281.png

We end the season in 5th place. Barry Town to come in the Welsh Cup final. 

fd420a1edca20ce6c80031df26a71ad8.png

They made a game of it, but thanks to a James Gardiner brace we have been crowned Welsh Cup champions!

db654e24021133b98e5e1dfcd3ed8e28.png

Quite a relief to have won as despite the fairly easy run in aside from the Prestatyn Quarter Final, we've been in woeful form the last few months or so, so it wasn't set in stone that we'd do it. Of course this qualifies us for Europa again next season, which will help us financially too, that's ignoring the fact that this is a long overdue trophy win for us which is like the icing on the cake really. 

Season 19: Port Talbot Town

4a2fce101a43a4649de874ca3f60b1f1.png

Our league form dropped off massively after Christmas and for us to finish 5th is definitely a step backwards from last year, but we reached both cup finals and thankfully won the Welsh Cup to ensure European qualification without a Playoff. We gave it a good go in Europe this year but got a bit outclassed by a bigger side. I have to put this season as a success mainly due to the cup win, if we'd blown that final too then it would've been a bit of a bad year unless we won the European Playoff again, which given our form I don't think we would have.

Squad

Chris Pennock was top scorer again, this time with 17 goals and 7 assists, he was 1 goal off being top scorer in the Welsh League, but tbh he could have got more and went a few games without scoring quite often. Jonathan Robinson was fairly influential on the left wing and was more of an asset than his 10 assists and 3 goals stats would suggest. Richard Walker joined in the summer and was a real solid addition to our central midfield. 

Career History

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Season     Club                 Division                               Position      Achievements/Other
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2016/17    Ipswich Wanderers    Eastern Counties Premier League          8th         Eastern Counties League Cup winners
2017/18    Ipswich Wanderers    Eastern Counties Premier League         11th         Left in November
2017/18    Coventry Sphinx      Midland Football Premier League         13th         N/A
2018/19    Coventry Sphinx      Midland Football Premier League         10th         Left in December 
2018/19    Carlton Town         United Counties Premier League           8th         United Counties League Cup runners-up. Sacked. 
2019/20    Basildon United      Essex Senior League                      3rd         Gordan Brasted Memorial Trophy winners
2020/21    Basildon United      Essex Senior League                     17th         Left in November 
2020/21    Lincoln United       Northern Counties East Premier League   11th         N/A
2021/22    Lincoln United       Northern Counties East Premier League   17th         Left in December
2021/22    Swindon Supermarine  Southern League 1st Division S/W        13th         N/A
2022/23    Swindon Supermarine  Southern League 1st Division S/W        18th         Left in January
2022/23    Trafford FC          Northern Premier League 1st Division N   7th         N/A
2023/24    Trafford FC          Northern Premier League 1st Division N  11th         Sacked in November
2023/24    Hythe Town           Isthmian League 1st Division S          12th         Joined in January
2024/25    Hythe Town           Isthmian League 1st Division S           3rd         Left in March
2024/25    Canvey Island        Isthmian League Premier Division        23rd         Relegated 
2025/26    Canvey Island        Isthmian League 1st Division N          23rd         Sacked in November
2025/26    Farsley Celtic       Northern Premier League 1st Division N  11th         Joined in January
2026/27    Farsley Celtic       Northern Premier League 1st Division N   5th         Left in March
2026/27    Stourbridge          Northern League Premier Division        21st         Relegated
2027/28    Stourbridge          Southern League 1st Division C           5th         Promoted via Playoffs 
2028/29    Stourbridge          Southern League Premier Division        15th         Left in November
2028/29    Lancaster City       Northern League Premier Division        21st         Relegeted. Sacked. 
2029/30    Southport            Northern League Premier Division        14th         N/A
2030/31    Southport            Northern League Premier Division         5th         Left in April 
2030/31    Port Vale            Northern League Premier Division         3rd         Lost in Playoff Final
2031/32    Port Vale            Northern League Premier Division         2nd         Lost in Playoff Final
2032/33    Port Vale            Northern League Premier Division         6th         Left in January 
2032/33    Port Talbot Town     Welsh Premier League                     8th         N/A
2033/34    Port Talbot Town     Welsh Premier League                     3rd         Qualified for Europa League via Playoff
2034/35    Port Talbot Town     Welsh Premier League                     5th         Welsh Cup winners

Trophy Cabinet

Eastern Counties League Cup    x1 - 2016/17 (Ipswich Wanderers) 
Gordan Brasted Memorial Trophy x1 - 2019/20 (Basildon United) 

Welsh Cup                      x1 - 2034/35 (Port Talbot Town)

72 year old Jose Mourinho led Man United to their first Premier League in 8 years, as he beat Arsenal at Old Trafford on the last day of the season to prevent Allegri's side from winning the title themselves. Man City and Chelsea completed the top four, with Jardim's Man City falling short in the Champions League final to Zidane's Real Madrid, as Madrid became the first non-English side to win the competition in 7 years. 

Doncaster Rovers once again went down from the Premier League at the first time of asking, whilst Colchester United came a Playoff final away from making the Premier League - elsewhere in Essex, Southend United returned to League 1 for the first time in 15 years. Blackpool, led by Ashley Williams, also returned to League 1 after 12 year stint in League 2. Forest Green Rovers won the Conference Playoffs and will join the football league, after they beat Dulwich Hamlet on penalties. 

I've made the tough decision to not re-sign Joel Barnes-Nicholson to a new deal. He was a very good striker and had a good record of 9 goals and 11 assists in 25 games, but unfortunately he was too injury prone for a guy I'm paying £1,100 p/w to, I  checked his injury record and he's torn his groin muscle 3 times before which for a 23 year old is very worrying. Quite brutal to have to get rid but that's still big money for us and I can hopefully get someone as good with a clean injury record for those wages. 

a4ca79caed08457c6b1a1943c446c3b4.png

Bleak times for the Welsh League as we've dropped down to 47th in the Coefficients table. It doesn't affect us too much and it's more TNS who will suffer as they'll now start in the 1st Qualifying Phase rather than the 2nd, but I imagine if they're starting in the 1st that will give them an extra couple of easy games, so they should hopefully sort out our coefficient back out  by having 2 easy wins each year. 

Edited by PaulHartman71

Been making sure to double check injury records of players before signing them now, just came across this: 

c0cb3bd1d0eb5fbda56bbd5a2f6b68d8.png

Never seen anyone injured through blisters before  :D 

Says he received them in training and was out for 4 days. What he do? Wear boots that were too tight for him? :lol:

Edited by PaulHartman71

35 minutes ago, PaulHartman71 said:

Been making sure to double check injury records of players before signing them now, just came across this: 

c0cb3bd1d0eb5fbda56bbd5a2f6b68d8.png

Never seen anyone injured through blisters before  :D 

Says he received them in training and was out for 4 days. What he do? Wear boots that were too tight for him? :lol:

It never indicated that they were blisters on his feet....