[FM17] The Hart Chronicles - Volume II: Adam Hart is 'Yes Man'!

PaulHartman71

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, noikeee said:

First time opening up this new career of yours. You're just going to be bouncing randomly around England all career long, won't you? :lol: Completely mental premise for a thread, but I guess it's going to be entertaining!

5 hours ago, mrdanbartlett said:

This is a great idea, really enjoying following this thread.  

4 hours ago, The Silence Of The Allams said:

They'll regret sacking you when you become a managerial legend in tier 7. ?

Thanks guys. Fingers crossed I can actually get out of the County Leagues at some point, but I'm having a decent enough time hopping around the country so far :D Not sure how many County Leagues there are in total, would be funny if I ended up in more or less all of them throughout my career though.

A quick squad summary before the August update: 

Redd Savage doesn't look all that impressive at a glance, but the 26 year old striker got 17 goals and 14 assists in just 32 games last season - that's a decent record and one I'm hoping he can repeat this season. He will have Lewis Troke alongside him, who is a 21 year old on loan from Sun Postal Sports. Max Nisbet is a reasonable CB at this level, a few dodgy looking stats but overall he is alright. Finally, Martin Pattison seems a reasonable keeper from what I've seen in pre-season. 

I've been letting my Chairman worry about hiring/firing staff at all of the clubs I've been at so far, which is usually fine, but the fella who owns Basildon doesn't seem up to all that much as we're going into the start of the season without an Assistant Manager or Fitness Coach. I've had to put out adverts for them myself now and nobody's replied yet. I've luckily got my lone coach, Amelie Searle, who is effectively my Assistant at the moment. She has pretty good JCP/JPA stats for this level tbf and if she'd accept my offer to be the Assistant proper then the job would be hers.

Edited by PaulHartman71

August

77abfdc156cc73c517981c2675ff1663.png

In my first game in charge we faced a side I was fairly familiar with in Kimberly Miners Welfare. It was a very tight game and I thought we were going to an away replay, but then Lewis Troke popped up late on with a goal to see us through. 

381ddba710c2293b4d24c369433468f9.png

We did end up with a replay in the round, as we drew 3-3 away at Heanor. We took an early lead at home but Heanor got back in the game and took it to extra-time. I was really worried about it going to penalties, but I shouldn't have been, as it was Lewis Troke again who popped up late on to give us the victory and put us through once more. 

5c44f614a01e57548e2e34e16fb026db.png

Meanwhile, in the Essex Senior League, it has been a pretty promising start, we're unbeaten and Redd Savage has 5 in 3 so far. 

1cebfb46198d628db2168cbd7d3c3003.png

The table doesn't mean too much just yet, especially as we have games in hand on other sides. 

September

f97390ba76a70b2f7b51f5ad0641a65c.png

Our FA Vase campaign was over before it started, as we lost 3-2 in Windsor. 

535a39be90234e94c1e8b73b488c842e.png

We did manage to progress in the Essex Senior League Cup though, as a Savage double and a late Troke goal saw us through against Clapton.

f6b25dd0b0b05e920f2bc87729ffc60a.png

We saw success in the 1st Qualifying Round of the FA Cup. We faced fellow 9th tier side Deeping Rangers - the first tie at their place was a tricky game, with it eventually going to a replay. The home match 3 days later though, it was like we were playing a different team, we smashed them 4-0 to get through. 

c4909f7b4f919df3ae7baf44a581f54f.png

We got drawn against another 9th tier side in the next round, with an away trip to Rocester being on the agenda this time. It was Redd Savage who bailed us out and got us through, with his two goals deciding the game.

I also have to give a shout out to our 2nd choice keeper, Thomas Taylor, who played the match as he was, at the time, filling in for our injured first choice keeper. 

f22ccd73a74dfbfd8ccd4b3c925659c7.png

In an incredible turn of fate, in the 69th minute, after I'd made all 3 subs, Taylor broke his hand mid-match. I couldn't take him off obviously, so he had to stay on and get on with it. It was 1-1 at the time so I was absolutely ******** it that we'd end up losing due to it, but then Savage put us back ahead and we managed to avoid letting another one in, the highlight was Taylor catching a cross at one point with both hands. Must've been painful. 

We will now have to spend 2/3 months with our young 3rd choice keeper in goal. 

2b87c87dcbc76a5b42b2ca7d662ca2c1.png

Meanwhile in the league, not too bad a month overall, with good wins against Wadham Lodge and Witham, with Savage having an absolute field day against Witham. A poor 4-2 loss to Brentwood, but hopefully we can move on from that quickly and soon forget about it. 

3219f8dd0530d7644e6cb16f81eed008.png

Still quite low but we have some games in hand on a lot of sides.

October

02be80882ee56ec0d88557cc0ad93d15.png

Essex has quite a few additional cups than usual, with this month seeing the start of our campaign in the Essex Senior League Gordon Brasted Memorial Trophy. We beat Wadham Lodge 3-1 away from home to progress.

40321365237f4b57def8c94c040ab718.png

We also got off to a winning start in the Essex Saturday Premier Cup. We struggled to get through against the far inferior side here mainly because we had a man sent off in the 30th minute, but we still just about did enough with 1 less man for what turned out to be a whole 90 minutes :D

d707103c55e98a855ef2fdd28b763264.png

We've unfortunately been eliminated from the Essex Senior League Cup after a poor performance at West Essex. 

0219b797570135a02bd917537f033ddb.png

We finally got given a bigger side than us in the FA Cup, as we were drawn against 8th tier side Droylsden. We did at least manage to break out attendance and gate receipts record again though which will have hopefully pleased the board a bit. 

5e91ac62cf0b296c9c8f5409ff614284.png

Redd Savage tore his groin at the start of the month, so I'm really pleased that we still managed to win all 3 of our league matches this month. We will still be without him for most of 2019, as he's unlikely to return until early January. Fingers crossed we keep up this form in November and December. 

84f1f02639c81e4c31ad5c1f9c3a058c.png

The table is looking rather promising at this stage of the season, with Waltham Forest just 3 points ahead of us at the top of the table.

November

f907df137052e918ac111cf2e2ac45c5.png

We went through again comfortably in the Essex Senior League Gordon Brasted Memorial Trophy, with Tommy Allinson getting a hat-trick in a 5-1 win. 

55d34da3aa13e150b222f7d498cdf3cb.png

Not the best November to be honest. We struggled to a draw against title rivals Enfield, before being grounded to a 1-1 draw at relegation battling Stansted. We followed that up with a poor 2-0 loss to another poor side in Hullbridge, but we did at least beat Haringey 1-0 to end the month on something of a positive. 

f5a3f6e8f0b8a1e6c993a0eeab74f7b5.png

We're still 2nd, with Enfield now ahead of us by 6 points, but we do have a game in hand on them. 

December

d18e310abaad325209e55c571c15bf83.png

We won again in the Essex Saturday Premier Cup, with Tommy Allinson getting the only goal in a 1-0 win at Harold Hill. 

1a4e2f1a697ed7130c7875dbf4a637cc.png

2 wins, 4 draws and 1 loss this month. Not the worst form but certainly not title winning form. We need to start turning some of these draws into wins really. 

1efa5eac6e65e9bd3cf68406b6f4e809.png

We end 2019 in 2nd place. A fair few sides below us with some games in hands unfortunately. 

17 minutes ago, noikeee said:

Your form might be slowing down but you're doing better than with the previous teams you've managed, at least.

It's definitely my best shot at promotion so far. Although if we were odds on to win it you can guarantee i'd get poached 2 or 3 games before the end of the season :D 

Edited by PaulHartman71

1 hour ago, PaulHartman71 said:

It's definitely my best shot at promotion so far. Although if we were odds on to win it you can guarantee i'd get poached 2 or 3 games before the end of the season :D 

Its about getting an FA Cup run, raise your rep high enough to be poached from the division above

January

574c62980376e39848847e165fcdb490.png

We lost 2-1 at Takeley and were eliminated from the Essex Saturday Premier Cup. A disappointing result as this was very much a cup we could've gone on to win. 

5f32a1c02a27461f4edbf8690a187c0f.png

We beat Southend Manor 1-0 in the Gordon Brasted Memorial Trophy, which puts us through to the Semi Final! 

a2aee654ac29793dd5947c4c5fe055b9.png

A much more promising month in the league, with 3 wins and a draw to kick off 2020 with a bit of a bang. 

6ebcd883fb15d227f1f7d67a692d4ae3.png

There are teams around us with games in hand still, but for now we remain in 2nd place. 

1 hour ago, jim owen said:

Its about getting an FA Cup run, raise your rep high enough to be poached from the division above

What sort of run do you reckon I'd need from the 9th tier to raise my reputation up enough? The furthest I've got so far was this year to the 3rd Qualifying Round. You reckon I'd need to get to the 1st Round proper to get some of the 7th/8th tier sides interested?

16 minutes ago, PaulHartman71 said:

What sort of run do you reckon I'd need from the 9th tier to raise my reputation up enough? The furthest I've got so far was this year to the 3rd Qualifying Round. You reckon I'd need to get to the 1st Round proper to get some of the 7th/8th tier sides interested?

Just guessing to be honest but i suspect there is a significant jump for first round proper. Winning the other cups probably carries little if anything in terms of rep boost I would imagine

February

118f3a070bd73f0b6bfdf5e53d39624e.png

Another reasonable month, with 3 wins and 2 draws. The big one of course was the final match of the month, where we faced title rivals Enfield in a huge 6 pointer at our place. I was really hoping we could win it, but after trailing for much of the match I was more than happy to take a point.

0cae40f0e7ccdec4ca4f111cc065fc21.png

The table is making for pretty reading even if we have dropped to 3rd. Waltham Forest are a point ahead of us with a game in hand, but we do still face both them and 4th place Haringey before the end of the season. We also trail Enfield by 1 point, but by not losing to them we've given ourselves a real chance at gaining points on them by winning games against the sides around and below us. 

April

d54ad9c0700ffed0731c6437d265e71c.png

The month started on a huge high as we beat Barkingside 3-1 to claim the Gordon Brasted Memorial Trophy. It might not be the most prestigious trophy around, but I'm still delighted to have won another trophy nonetheless. 

dcb853f4e9aca96e2272ce1aa4aacadc.png

Our league form continued to be shocking. We were 2-0 up against both Aveley and Southend Manor, but in both games we managed to blow our lead and up losing the games. We did beat Takeley comfortably at least, but it seems like we're shot of confidence, especially away from home. 

98bda53117460136b291c7e29b4b1c69.png

Despite our horrendous form, we're somehow still top of the table. We go into the last game of the season on joint points with both Waltham Forest and now Enfield who have creeped back into it. We play Waltham Forest away from home on the last day, whilst Enfield head to bottom of the table Stansted. It's set to be a real mouth watering last day for the neutral, but it's gonna be horrific for us. 

April

b7d6d59d4556ec01de627a422a6b9ef8.png

A disappointing end to the season, but given the form that we were in I can't say I didn't expect it. We missed a penalty in the 70th minute which only made it even more frustrating, but to be honest I don't think we would've come back and scored 2 after that, which we would have needed to do anyway with Enfield smashing Stansted 5-0. 

d8cd930bbf2409bab028dcd1e3f2d014.png

So ended the season in 3rd place. I can't hide my disappointment as this was a real chance for me to gain promotion to Level 8 and enhance my reputation. I'm sure I could sign some players in the summer and get this Basildon team in with a real shot at going up next year, but it all depends on whether I get snapped up by another club or not. I'm hoping they'll renew my contract in the summer and we can go from there. 

Season 4: Basildon United

384f7d455f3aa547d1ef2b2d9724ad7d.png

Basildon came in for me when I was unemployed over the summer. They finished in 4th place last season so the foundations for a good season were always there. I was pleased to manage to mount a good title challenge, albeit very disappointing to blow it in the fashion we did in the last few weeks of the season. I thought we did pretty well in the FA Cup to get to the 3rd Qualifying Round as that's the furthest I've got so far in my career, before we went out to an 8th tier side in Droylsden which was to be expected really - perhaps if we had Savage and our first choice keeper fit for that game we could've put up more of a fight. We didn't do that great in any of the other cups really, although it was really good to win the Gordon Brasted Memorial Trophy. 

Squad pt 1, pt 2

Redd Savage was undeniably our best player this season, with 41 goals and 11 assists in 47 games. His partner in crime, loanee Lewis Troke also did well, with 30 goals and 21 assists in 60 games for him. This season also saw good performances from Max Nisbet at CB, George Brown in CM and Martin Pattison in goal. 

Career History

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Season     Club                 Division                          Position      Achievements/Other
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2016/17    Ipswich Wanderers    Eastern Counties Premier League     8th         Eastern Counties League Cup winners
2017/18    Ipswich Wanderers    Eastern Counties Premier League    11th         Left in November
2017/18    Coventry Sphinx      Midland Football Premier League    13th         N/A
2018/19    Coventry Sphinx      Midland Football Premier League    10th         Left in December 
2018/19    Carlton Town         United Counties Premier League      8th         United Counties League Cup runners-up. Sacked. 
2019/20    Basildon United      Essex Senior League                 3rd         Gordan Brasted Memorial Trophy winners

Trophy Cabinet

Eastern Counties League Cup    x1 - 2016/17 (Ipswich Wanderers) 
Gordan Brasted Memorial Trophy x1 - 2019/20 (Basildon United) 

25 minutes ago, jim owen said:

Any increase on the wage of your contract? Would be nice if you could show your waage in your career history going forwards to, it would help us see how vulnerable you are to poaching (higher wage less chance of being poached)

I did try to negotiate a wage increase but they weren't very accommodating :D

I've managed to go back and compile a list of the various wages I've been on at each club so far:

4e61d01b228b37f725deb172b72d36b4.png

I'm currently on the most money I've been paid by any other side at this level, which is at least a bit encouraging. As of June, it would cost a club £2,500 to buy me out. So hopefully nobody else in the 9th tier is willing to fork up that kind of money, or if they are, they should hopefully also be in contention for promotion. 

49c80181c014cd324e4adb8fd57ac06b.png

So I just had a random journo asking me how I felt being linked with "a club in such dire financial circumstances as Squires Gate". A quick look and Squires Gate finished this season in 20th place of the North West Counties Premier League. I thought it best to strongly distance myself from them...

2 hours ago, PaulHartman71 said:

I did try to negotiate a wage increase but they weren't very accommodating :D

I've managed to go back and compile a list of the various wages I've been on at each club so far:

4e61d01b228b37f725deb172b72d36b4.png

I'm currently on the most money I've been paid by any other side at this level, which is at least a bit encouraging. As of June, it would cost a club £2,500 to buy me out. So hopefully nobody else in the 9th tier is willing to fork up that kind of money, or if they are, they should hopefully also be in contention for promotion. 

Thats fantastic, really useful to see, thankyou. Will be interesting to track wages as you rise through the levels (if you ever get out of level 9)

Is it wrong that I'm hoping squires gate offer you the job? North West counties would be another 9th tier league to tick off :)

33 minutes ago, jim owen said:

Thats fantastic, really useful to see, thankyou. Will be interesting to track wages as you rise through the levels (if you ever get out of level 9)

Is it wrong that I'm hoping squires gate offer you the job? North West counties would be another 9th tier league to tick off :)

I'm hoping my public dismissal will be enough to put them off. Would be very frustrating to go from a title chasing side to a relegation fighting one :D  Although they're in Blackpool which is a step up from Basildon at least, although you can commute in from Southend to Basildon so it's all good :brock:

A few transfers have been made this summer. I didn't have a huge wage budget, but I had enough to bring in some quality which should hopefully give us enough to see out a title challenge this time. 

Jamie Marshall joins to add a bit of depth to our Goalkeeping department, with Ollie Hotchkiss joining our midfield, as well as Goran Seymour and Bradley Fortnam-Tomlinson joining the striker ranks. Finally, we've also acquired young right winger, Malcolm Mitchell, on a season long loan from Northwood. 

52 minutes ago, PaulHartman71 said:

I'm hoping my public dismissal will be enough to put them off. Would be very frustrating to go from a title chasing side to a relegation fighting one :D  Although they're in Blackpool which is a step up from Basildon at least, although you can commute in from Southend to Basildon so it's all good :brock:

With that rush hour traffic london bound traffic on the 127 in the  morning? No thankyou

August

1f0e060d21900575602852be6bed0792.png

We got off to a very lucky start in the FA Cup this season. We went 1-0 down early on but brought it level just before half-time thanks to a Savage penalty. Liversedge went ahead again in the second half, but we again came back in it on the 73rd minute. I thought we were doing our usual away draw to drag it to a home replay, but Allinson popped up very late on in a counter attack to seal the win and see us through. 

3ff11e78d036ce6be40b38369952d429.png

The win against Liversedge seemed to paper over the cracks, as our trip to nearby Kent Football United was not a pleasant one at all. We lost 3-1 which means we're out of the FA Cup at the Preliminary Round this year, pretty gutting stuff considering we made the 3rd Qualifying Round just last season. 

eb5404f50fe73264a100a96366cce263.png

It's been a far from perfect start in the Essex Senior League, it seems like we've carried over the poor form from the tail end of last year. We won our first game of the season at home to Brentwood 2-1, but then both Haringey sides took 3 points off us in 1-0 victories. We at least managed to restore some pride, form and points with a 1-0 win at Redbridge courtesy of an early goal from Goran Seymour. 

5a332256acf3f43dcec179da75793cab.png

The table doesn't make for great reading so far, but it's still early days yet tbf.

September

5334f93549d93c3d85f3b8e95a8253b1.png

We just about got past Stansted in normal time in this Essex Senior League Challenge Cup tie. We left it extremely late, so late in-fact that I'd already gone to the toilet ahead of a tense penalty shoot-out. Came back to find out we'd scored a late winner ffs. Incredible scenes. 

c3f0a3a13d3a9f6bb5d80e5d824e9f42.png

We also got through in extra-time in the Gordan Brasted Memorial Trophy, with Ollie Jeffers' 106th minute goal proving the decider.  Let's hope this is the first step to retaining our trophy. 

12e67751285e50eb88ec525f3ecfa9d0.png

We're still really not playing all that well. We only lost 1 game this month, but we only won 1 too. We very nearly lost 3 games as we scored very very late equalizers against both Stansted and London Bari. 

c110ac911620e7d348aac975e4edc046.png

We really need to pick up the pace sooner rather than later...

October

10fff61fc6f91823828ae0f877aa5754.png

We went out of the FA Vase this month, after losing a home replay to Alvechurch. I really thought we'd win the home replay as well, which made it all the more disappointing that we lost it. 

30e73269b8f07d13655f13ace90cdcf5.png

We're also out of the Saturday Premier Cup, with Ilford coming to our place and grabbing a 2-1 win. Poor stuff. 

2b6d85aeec16750fb1fa8df72f24d3bf.png

Woeful stuff. The match at Sawbridgeworth summed it up really. We were 1-0 down for ages, but then Fortnam-Tomlinson equalised and grabbed us a much needed point. Then back up the other end, with just seconds to go, a Sawbridgeworth player stuck a cross in and one of our defenders got in front of it and it was almost as if he deliberately put it past our keep. Just awful stuff. 

96cf691e278d7877a6e7516a2e2d7630.png

It's looking really grim :D

At this point I'm almost hoping that someone does come in for me!

Edited by PaulHartman71

99ef85cccddd25298be9d1e7e740a43e.png

A frustrating set back as in the middle of November I was offered an interview for the Scarborough Athletic job. They're currently in a bit of a relegation fight in the Northern Premier League First Division North (8th tier): 

29bd0332ae9307fe59f4a1df2dcd866c.png

This would've been a step up for me and I was really hoping I would get the job. I'm not sure why they didn't give it to me as I gave the interview I'd usually give. I think the only sticking point was that I didn't outright promise to guarantee squad harmony being great, it didn't seem like a good idea considering I've been sacked for that before and harmony is never going to be high when you're in a relegation battle. 

It's a pity, but I'm currently "Wanted" by: Ware and Lincoln United - they're both County Leagues sides in different divisions, but I feel a fresh start may be a good idea as if we don't sort out our form quickly I can see the Basildon board sacking me perhaps. 

Career History

Season     Club                 Division                          Position      Achievements/Other
2016/17    Ipswich Wanderers    Eastern Counties Premier League     8th         Eastern Counties League Cup winners
2017/18    Ipswich Wanderers    Eastern Counties Premier League    11th         Left in November
2017/18    Coventry Sphinx      Midland Football Premier League    13th         N/A
2018/19    Coventry Sphinx      Midland Football Premier League    10th         Left in December 
2018/19    Carlton Town         United Counties Premier League      8th         United Counties League Cup runners-up. Sacked. 
2019/20    Basildon United      Essex Senior League                 3rd         Gordan Brasted Memorial Trophy winners
2020/21    Basildon United      Essex Senior League                17th         Left in November 

Trophy Cabinet

Eastern Counties League Cup    x1 - 2016/17 (Ipswich Wanderers) 
Gordan Brasted Memorial Trophy x1 - 2019/20 (Basildon United) 
Edited by PaulHartman71

ab37d71c77960f96695381ef9557f3c9.png

e0913041871a1b79115baf8f27a948a7.png

Despite being slightly annoyed at missing out on a chance to move up to the 8th tier, I was still very pleased when Lincoln offered me an interview and later the job itself. I'm not sure what changed at Basildon this season, but things were going really really badly. Nothing was clicking and we were in absolutely dire form. It was only a matter of time before I would have been sacked - I probably wouldn't have lasted much more than a few more weeks, so Lincoln coming in for me did save some blushes and a hit in reputation. 

Lincoln play their football in the Northern Counties East Premier Division. They finished 3rd last season, just like I did with Basildon in the Essex Senior, similarly to me at Basildon, things haven't been going as well for Lincoln this time around...

d419e2ec83a39156d12d9c9a5d6e4735.png

The club currently sit in 14th place and the board think I'm just the guy to get them the comfortable mid-table finish that they're after. Let's hope they're right.

Squad Summary

Harry Gurstang is currently the side's top scorer, with 4 goals in 16 starts. Not great. He got 9 goals all of last season, fingers crossed he can get a few more this year now I'm here. Gerd Kinsella is a reasonable midfielder to have, although his "Gets Forward Whenever Possible" trait is a bit of a worry. Alan Button-Forshaw has the potential to be an alright winger with some decent stats, I'm hoping I can get some more assists out of him than he's got so far this season. 

Elsewhere, it's kind of slim pickings. The squad is also really small and there's nobody I can call up from the U23s or U18s, not that there's nobody good, there's just no players. I don't have any spare money or wage budget, so I'm definitely gonna have to look at getting some loan signings in. 

Fantastic updates Paul, really enjoying this thread. 

Weird things went so badly at Basildon, those signings looked great at this level, I wonder if a tactical refresh was needed? 

What coaching badge do you have? I guess no chance to study for an upgrade due to fiances at these smaller clubs. 

5 hours ago, mrdanbartlett said:

Fantastic updates Paul, really enjoying this thread. 

Weird things went so badly at Basildon, those signings looked great at this level, I wonder if a tactical refresh was needed? 

What coaching badge do you have? I guess no chance to study for an upgrade due to fiances at these smaller clubs. 

Yeah I probably could've done with a change up of tactics. We didn't have much depth so I couldn't really change the 4-4-2, I  thought about going a bit more defensive and counter-attacking to make up for the goals we were shipping, but we weren't scoring many either. It just really wasn't going well and it's definitely for the best I got out when I did. 

I currently have a National C Licence after getting the initial boost at Ipswich Wanderers, but since then I've been unable to upgrade as none of the clubs have been out of the red :D