[FM17] Modify the Mentality bar in the Player Instruction screen

Ö-zil to the Arsenal!

Hey everyone,

I have a quick question - is it possible to modify the Mentality bar in the Player Instruction screen?

8hMnc62.png

I find this particularly un-user friendly when trying to compare different roles and how they effect an overall tactic.

Either a clearer graphical representation (at the moment, often a tweak will alter by a couple of millimetres) or a numerical system? Open to ideas..

Thank you in advance.

3 hours ago, michaeltmurrayuk said:

Don't think so as that panel isn't user editable, I've had a quick test of that screen and not sure where you are getting the mm changes from for me it moves in blocks like the passing or closing down instrucitons just without the notches in the bar.

Are the blocks discernible from each other? For example, if you change your Team Shape / Mentality from one to the next can you see what effect this has had on the role? More importantly can you see what effect this has had one a role in comparison to the changes to the rest of your team?

13 hours ago, Ö-zil to the Arsenal! said:

Are the blocks discernible from each other? For example, if you change your Team Shape / Mentality from one to the next can you see what effect this has had on the role? More importantly can you see what effect this has had one a role in comparison to the changes to the rest of your team?

The attached screenshots show what happens to the Central Midfield role for me:

Standard - Defend.jpgStandard - Support.jpgStandard - Attack.jpg

The above three screenshots show it in the Standard Mentality going from Defend, Support and Attack Duties. Whilst the three below screenshots show how the Central Midfield Attack Role changes as the team Mentality goes through Control, Attacking and Overload with the change clear enough to me each time.

Control - Attack.jpgAttacking - Attack.jpgOverload - Attack.jpg

6 minutes ago, michaeltmurrayuk said:

The attached screenshots show what happens to the Central Midfield role for me:

Standard - Defend.jpgStandard - Support.jpgStandard - Attack.jpg

The above three screenshots show it in the Standard Mentality going from Defend, Support and Attack Duties. Whilst the three below screenshots show how the Central Midfield Attack Role changes as the team Mentality goes through Control, Attacking and Overload with the change clear enough to me each time.

Control - Attack.jpgAttacking - Attack.jpgOverload - Attack.jpg

Thanks Michael.

It's the second set of screenshots I'd like to make clearer, so I can compare how a mentality / team shape shift effects the role and - more importantly - one role in relation to the rest of the system, for example relationship between the mentality of a wingback and a wide midfielder so I can see if they're likely to overlap.

Is that possible?

As I said the panel isn't user editable so there is nothing you can change. The role you give a player also has no effect on it, duty and mentality are the main things that change it, with team shape having a small affect. The relation between the roles is already shown on the tactics pitch as the players move around depending on the role and duty assigned.

You'd be better bringing this up in the feature suggestions forum as you seem to want this bar to do more than it actualy does.

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/11/2016 at 20:31, Ö-zil to the Arsenal! said:

Hey everyone,

I have a quick question - is it possible to modify the Mentality bar in the Player Instruction screen?

8hMnc62.png

I find this particularly un-user friendly when trying to compare different roles and how they effect an overall tactic.

Either a clearer graphical representation (at the moment, often a tweak will alter by a couple of millimetres) or a numerical system? Open to ideas..

Thank you in advance.

Found a way to edit that bar.

The file you need to edit is the 'tactics position instructions dialog' xml file found in the panels\dialogs folder (which if not present for your skin you will need to extract from the default game files, instructions are here and then copy it into the same location for your skin)

In that file locate this line:

<widget class="adjustable_bar" id="ment" height="30" bar_filler_colour="0" file="adjustable bar overlaid" ShTx="false" adj_bar_adj_filler_colour="unselected instruction">

And change the bolded false bit to read true and that will then show the actual mentality number within the bar like this:

playermentalitybarnumber.jpg

4 hours ago, michaeltmurrayuk said:

Found a way to edit that bar.

The file you need to edit is the 'tactics position instructions dialog' xml file found in the panels\dialogs folder (which if not present for your skin you will need to extract from the default game files, instructions are here and then copy it into the same location for your skin)

In that file locate this line:

<widget class="adjustable_bar" id="ment" height="30" bar_filler_colour="0" file="adjustable bar overlaid" ShTx="false" adj_bar_adj_filler_colour="unselected instruction">

And change the bolded false bit to read true and that will then show the actual mentality number within the bar like this:

playermentalitybarnumber.jpg

Wow, that's excellent news. Thank you very much.:applause:

Edit: I've just downloaded the Base Skin but there's nothing in the dialog folder, the panels folder is empty - any ideas?

Cheers :thup:

1 hour ago, D_LO_ said:

I'm feeling particularly helpful and I've literally just made this amendment 'cos of this thread so just place the attached panel in:

C:\Users\Dan\Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2017\skins\Skin Name\panels\dialogs

Make sure it's named: tactics position instructions dialog (it sometimes gets renamed in the download)

tactics position instructions dialog.xml

Perfect - thank you very much!!

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

i'm sorry to resume an old topic but i need your help.

I extracted, with the resource archiver, the archives "SKINS" and "PANELS".

The folder ..../skins/panels was empty, while the folder ...../panels (the one directly extracted, not the one in the skins folder) had the sub-folder dialogs and the file to modify. So i modified that file like shown here, loaded the game but nothing changed. 

So I have tried to copy the "dialogs" folder in ..../skins/panels, which before was empty. But again, i load the game and there is no change.

What am I missing? Thank you! :)

First the file needs to be located inside the panels\dialogs folder for the skin you are using. (If you are using the default skins then you should be able to create a panels\dialogs folder insider your User Data Location and have the game read the file from there).

Then when you load the game, go into the preferences menu and check to see if the skin cache is on, if it is turn it off and reload the skin and the changes should now apply. (You can turn the skin cache back on after it displays).

• 2 months later...
On 22 noiembrie 2016 at 22:09, Ö-zil to the Arsenal! said:

Perfect - thank you very much!!

Since I think you know about the graphic floating around the forum, the one which shows how Team Shape & Mentality affects role & duty willingness to be more attacking/conservative, is it accurate enough compared with this skin edit? I mean, is the mentality bar showing the same number as in the graphic say you choose a CM (S) on Control + Flexible? Or does the graphic need amendments?

26 minutes ago, nightwalker22 said:

Since I think you know about the graphic floating around the forum, the one which shows how Team Shape & Mentality affects role & duty willingness to be more attacking/conservative, is it accurate enough compared with this skin edit? I mean, is the mentality bar showing the same number as in the graphic say you choose a CM (S) on Control + Flexible? Or does the graphic need amendments?

Yep, I have yet to spot a single discrepancy.

@michaeltmurrayuk's edit is absolutely excellent. Very useful & I use it extensively.

22 minutes ago, Ö-zil to the Arsenal! said:

Yep, I have yet to spot a single discrepancy.

@michaeltmurrayuk's edit is absolutely excellent. Very useful & I use it extensively.

Cheers mate, I am at work at the moment and I can't get in game so that's why I had to ask someone about it.

One more thing about this, how can we split the numbers into categories, say 1 to 10 is defensive, 11 to 15 is 50-50 and 16 to 20 is attacking.

5 minutes ago, nightwalker22 said:

Cheers mate, I am at work at the moment and I can't get in game so that's why I had to ask someone about it.

One more thing about this, how can we split the numbers into categories, say 1 to 10 is defensive, 11 to 15 is 50-50 and 16 to 20 is attacking.

As a rough guide I see 10 as Neutral aka 50-50 between conservatism and attacking tendency.

Everything else is relative from there. 11 is 45-55 towards attacking. 12 is 40-60 towards attacking. 4 is 80-20 towards defending etc, etc.

10 minutes ago, Ö-zil to the Arsenal! said:

As a rough guide I see 10 as Neutral aka 50-50 between conservatism and attacking tendency.

Everything else is relative from there. 11 is 45-55 towards attacking. 12 is 40-60 towards attacking. 4 is 80-20 towards defending etc, etc.

Makes sense, cheers mate.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/22/2016 at 18:38, D_LO_ said:

I'm feeling particularly helpful and I've literally just made this amendment 'cos of this thread so just place the attached panel in:

C:\Users\Dan\Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2017\skins\Skin Name\panels\dialogs

Make sure it's named: tactics position instructions dialog (it sometimes gets renamed in the download)

tactics position instructions dialog.xml

Can't get it to work for me. 

I'm using the standard FM 17 Dark Skin. I created a panels folder in my skin folder, then within that panels folder I created a dialogs folder and placed the downloaded attachment into that. I then opened FM, disabled skin cache, cleared cache and reloaded skin. Still not showing up on the Mentality bar.

Any ideas?

• 3 months later...
On 13 September 2017 at 10:33, michaeltmurrayuk said:

Download and switch to the dark base skin and then add the files to that skin and it should work.

Hey there, mate. Thanks again for your help last year. Proved extremely useful.

Any idea if this would work with FM2018?

Would just give it a shot but I am a novice and afraid of making changes I cannot revert.

Cheers.

Archived