FM17: Everton - Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

IUsedToBeGreat

Everton 2016/17 Guide 

Welcome to the FM17 Everton guide. Everton Football Club although sanguine for longer than they should have been are still seen by most as one of English footballs 'Royalty'. Their honours are:

Champions of England (9): 1890–91, 1914–15, 1927–28, 1931–32, 1938–39, 1962–63, 1969–70, 1984–85, 1986–87
FA Cup (5): 1906, 1933, 1966, 1984, 1995
FA Charity Shield (9): 1928, 1932, 1963, 1970, 1984, 1985, 1986 (shared), 1987, 1995
FA Youth Cup (3): 1965, 1984, 1998
European Cup Winners' Cup (1): 1985

History

Everton are a proud club that has stood the test of time. Everton are a club that has led the way for others to follow. From the first club to have fully constructed four sides to their stadium, to introducing undersoil heating and electronic scoreboards, Everton has a rich and celebrated past.

The club's started life as a Church team playing as St Domingo F.C. and were formed in 1878. However a year later the team's name was changed to Everton Football Club. In 1888 Everton became founder members of the Football League, playing their games at Anfield, where the club won their first (of nine) title in 1891. After a dispute with the grounds landlord, Everton moved from Anfield to a new home, Goodison Park in 1892.

Everton went on to FA Cup success in 1906 a feat that they would go on to do 4 more times in their history. The 1933 FA Cup Final famous for being the first football match where players wore numbers on the back of their shirts. Everton wore 1-11, Manchester City 12-22. Everton won the game 3-0.

Everton endured a difficult period in the 40s and 50s which saw them relegated from the top flight for the first time in their history; however Everton have spent only a total of 4 seasons outside of English footballs top division and since returning in 1954 have managed to stay put…

The 1960s was an elegant period in Everton’s history, with league and FA Cup successes at the start middle and end of the decade, the 60s saw the emergence of many great sides denying Everton the chance to form a real dynasty.

The 70s best forgotten for most Everton fans saw some good Everton sides nearly triumph on the domestic front, but it was a case of so near yet so far for Everton.

The 80s saw Everton finally climb back out of any perceived shadow with success in the domestic, cup and league and their first European success; however events beyond the clubs control saw a blanket ban on English sides in Europe enforced. Everton saw their all-conquering side break up prematurely in the late 80s and although the club has tried to return to that golden period they have not been able to emulate it and are currently in the clubs most barren period where trophies are concerned.

A new era has recently started at the club, with fresh investment and a fresh statement of intent being set… Once again Evertonians hope that the club moto of Nil Satis Nisi Optimum will see them great again!

Everton start at the beginning of a brave new era. New investment gives prospective Everton managers the chance to avoid the wheeling and dealing that has been such a prevalent skillset required in the past!

You start off with a very generous £45 million to spend and £1.5 million a week for player wages. Now although still not in the ‘big boy’ leagues it is a departure from previous as I say.

Let’s start with the squad, its small, it is talented but there are some aging players in the side, and like Jagielka, Baines and Barry they are key but getting on. No immediate issues with them, but you do need to start looking for replacements.

Goalkeepers – An area that you can get by in, but may wish to look at investing in Maarten Stekelenburg 3 star, Joel Robles 2.5 star

U23/U18s coming in behind, there isn’t really any to consider beyond what you have. In my save only Joe Hilton and Tom Murphy offers up a potential of 3 stars. 

Defenders – Everton are more solid than you would think given the past couple of seasons, light in both right and left back positions though.

Phil Jagielka 4 star, Ashley Williams, Leighton Baines and Seamus Coleman all 3.5 star. Funes Mori is a 3 star.

U23/U18s – Some good defenders in here, (PA not CA). Brendan Galloway and Callum Connolly are 4 star and Mason Holgate a 3.5 star. There are a few 3 star players too, so as I say looking strong in defence.

Midfielders - Really depends on your system but running through. Ross Barkley 4 star. Mo Besic & James McCarthy 3.5 star. Idrissa Gueye, Gareth Barry and Tom Cleverley all 3 star.

U23/U18s – Tom Davies, Conor Grant 3.5 star, Thomas Scully 3.5 star Alex Denny and Beni Baningime 3 star

Forwards - Not blessed in this area for the first team if truth is told. Romelu Lukaku is the stand out 4 star striker, Shani Tarashaj is a (PA) 4.5 star Advanced forward - he is out on loan though. Valencia is a 3 star forward.

U23/U18s – Bassala Sambou 3.5 star (poacher), Dominic Calvert-Lewin 3.5 star, Sam Byrne, Kieran Phillips and Shayne Lavery 3.5 star

Staff - are a little hit and miss truth be told - Steve Walsh however is standout - I have decided to keep all of my staff as was, I didn't bother replacing any of them... Get in early if you wish to increase the coaching numbers. I have maxed out on the 

Signings - I am playing a 4-3-1-2 Gamebreaker tactic taken from the FM tactics forum. Its a favorite formation of mine anyway and what I have done is taken the information on this link and built the side based on what was provided as best for this tactic. Then I have altered the tactic so that the players best position is catered for. I made one  mistake - Saido Berahino... He probably needs more game time but isnt pressing Lukaku or Babacar

Signings.jpg

Season 1 - Halfway point

Standings.jpg

Results (I cant win away in London, some right hammerings a well... but on the whole)

Results.jpg

Players ratings

Players.jpg

Let me know if you would like any screen shots or any further information. All in all those looking for a challenge - will get that at Everton, those Evertonians who have waited for the brave new era, it is here! Good Luck!

Rez

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, Becanes said:

I've been waiting for this.

Aye, I was waiting as well, its usually done by someone else in the past, I stole last years one in a whirlwind of emotion (the day HK passed away) - so went with it again. 

I hope that it is OK - please ask if there is anything you'd like me to add... Otherwise I will melt into the background no doubt 

@IUsedToBeGreatWhat happened to Yannick Bolasie? I love him as a right winger with Deulofeu playing as an inside forward on the left with Lukaku as Target Man up front with Barkely behind. I would think that this front four could take you far, especially as they improve.

Clearly work needs to be done for the future in GK, CB, and a more creative midfielder (if you play that way) but otherwise I love Everton this year, especially in a traditional 4-2-3-1.

@samiam

Hes currently out injured - 2 months hamstring... I spent time retraining him as an SC (as a target man) after trying (but failing) to sell him... He was just starting to get there (accomplished) when he got the knock - He is back in training now and will come in for the push. Am pleased you posted because I thought he was back in Feb not Jan!

I like the 4-3-1-2, its narrow, but effective. I think my like for this formation stems from the old Diablo tactic of many years ago!

Keeper is a must defo - Neither are that great, but they aren't awful either - season 1 was about getting there - I currently 4th - 7 points off of top, 6 points ahead of 5th

Just did Liverpool in an epic 3rd round replay at Goodison after a 2-2 at Anfield - Valencia got 2 after Babacar went to the African Nations... 

16 hours ago, Becanes said:

I'm also using a 4-3-1-2.  Trying to sell Bolasie to bring some midfielders in.  I picked up Luan as a striker and brought in a GK.  Trying to get a CB in but the one I want is too expensive unless I can sell a couple of players.

Nicolas Pallois is a decent CB - I got him for £6.75m... Hes a left footer. I couldnt get rid of Bolasie - but re-trained he is a decent SC (Def forward)

9 hours ago, Danjel said:

in what roles are you playing Lukaku , Babacar and Barkley respectively ? well done and good luck :)

Lukaku - Target Man/Support - STL - Av Rt 7.55 13 goals 6 assists

Babacar  - Complete Forward/Support - STR (he should be poacher but I seem to get more from him in this role) - Av Rt 7.40 11 goals 6 assists

Barkley - Attacking Mid, Advanced playmaker/Attacking - Av Rt 7.33  7 goals 6 assists

31 minutes ago, TheTinkerMan said:

I'm struggling to find a tactic to get the most out of the team, Brought Depay in on loan though who adds a good bit of depth to the squad.

Have a go with the one I link up at the top - You need t give it time to bed in if you're already in flight with your season. However you do also need to get the right kinds of players for the tactic... Have a read of it - the guy who posted it on the FM forum did a great job of explaining it (I have no attention span for technical stuff - ohhh look a butterfly)

11 minutes ago, IUsedToBeGreat said:

Have a go with the one I link up at the top - You need t give it time to bed in if you're already in flight with your season. However you do also need to get the right kinds of players for the tactic... Have a read of it - the guy who posted it on the FM forum did a great job of explaining it (I have no attention span for technical stuff - ohhh look a butterfly)

Yeh I'm having a mixed start to the season, 10 games in 3 wins 2 draws and 5 defeats

I sold Gibson, Cleverley and Kone and brought in Depay and strangely Cathcart as defensive cover as well as Joey O'Brien for cover for Coleman

7 minutes ago, TheTinkerMan said:

Yeh I'm having a mixed start to the season, 10 games in 3 wins 2 draws and 5 defeats

I sold Gibson, Cleverley and Kone and brought in Depay and strangely Cathcart as defensive cover as well as Joey O'Brien for cover for Coleman

I cant shift Gibson... Cleverley went to Marseille in mine!

I would recommend the 4-3-1-2 but probably after a season in... I am in the process of uplifting my coaching team - ome of my promises made t players means that that all plays a part in it all as well

Let me know if I can help with anything

4 hours ago, IUsedToBeGreat said:

Nicolas Pallois is a decent CB - I got him for £6.75m... Hes a left footer. I couldnt get rid of Bolasie - but re-trained he is a decent SC (Def forward)

I'll look into him.  Doesn't look like I'll move Bolasie either.  Maybe I'll retrain him as well.  

Wow, so you're getting hassle as well... it might be a brave new Everton era but franky apart from being given £45 mil and £1.5 mil a week for wages it really is the same old same old - my game they wont allow me to increase the coaches beyond 6 - even though I have shipped out a load of dross... Lukaku and Barkley are unhappy as they want to move to Bayern and Man City respectively - which is fine except they haven't come in for them!

Yeh I can't get past 5 coaches which is really annoying given the current set up.

Bolasie is unhappy but I just can't drop Mirallas so he's getting the boot in January if I can get a good price and Deulofeu came to me wanting to join PSG if they bid but he haggled me down to £15m from £20m so he may well be going but I don't tend to play him anyway.

Both Barkley and Lukaku are wanted by City & Spurs respectively so it'll be a battle to hold on to them.

I made a change to the formation and went for a 433 which finally brought me a run of victories after not winning in 6. Currently 8th at Christmas in the first season so January will be interesting.

1 hour ago, Romers said:

Has anyone had a look at signing Rooney? Approaching January in my first season and he's fallen out with Jose and I'm being heavily linked with him. Reasonable fee but probably high wages to bring the boy wonder back to Goodison

Ronald... Is that you? :D

He is still happy with his lot with United in mine - I am not interested in signing him anyway - mainly because I am skint - Ultimately he isnt a part of the model.... 

2 hours ago, IUsedToBeGreat said:

Ronald... Is that you? :D

He is still happy with his lot with United in mine - I am not interested in signing him anyway - mainly because I am skint - Ultimately he isnt a part of the model.... 

hahaha I feel like Ronald! Thinking I could bring him in for 18 months or so while I get my squad together as a great role model to score some goals while my youngsters settle in 

I can't seem to get results either. 0-4 to start the league.

The team is built for a 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 but I just can't seem to figure it out.  I want Lukaku to stretch the field so I put him as TM Attack but maybe this is causing too large of a dislocation/gap with the midfield and I should make him a TM Support?

Brought in Maicon on a 1 year deal to be my attacking RB while Coleman is out. Put in a terrible performance when he needed to play some defense...

Also sold Cleverly to Marseille, wanting to get rid of Mirallas and Gibson ASAP.

15 hours ago, samiam said:

I can't seem to get results either. 0-4 to start the league.

The team is built for a 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 but I just can't seem to figure it out.  I want Lukaku to stretch the field so I put him as TM Attack but maybe this is causing too large of a dislocation/gap with the midfield and I should make him a TM Support?

Brought in Maicon on a 1 year deal to be my attacking RB while Coleman is out. Put in a terrible performance when he needed to play some defense...

Also sold Cleverly to Marseille, wanting to get rid of Mirallas and Gibson ASAP.

Personally found that playing him as a CF rather than a TM gets results with him, just think there's no need for him to be holding the ball up for others to take the shots.

Get the wingers and wing backs hitting the crosses into the middle of the box and that might help

Barry's hidden mental attributes surprised me - thought he would be perfect for tutoring, but his stats aren't that good.

Strange as in real life he's been described as a model pro by several people over the last few seasons.

Yet to start my Everton save yet, maybe this weekend......

As usual, i am starting my FM career with Everton, and i must say i'm really surprised by the irregular transfer budget that was given

(although a similar generosity doesn't happen in the future budgets, Moshiri probably wasn't listed as a sugar daddy or something like that..) 

My first and second season transfer in/out's are listed underneath, and third image is my current Everton team before i start my 3rd season

(as you can see, i m currently looking for a starter left & right back) 

SO FAR: I finished 5th the first and 3rd the second season(also got quarter final in Europa League) 

OBJECTIVE: looking forward to the third season and my main aim is to qualify for CL again and earn a top 4 spot.

i have spent my money really heavily in my first season, therefore i don't want to spend a lot of money this summer.

for example Gibbs is on a free contract, and while there are slightly better alternatives out there, i'll probably buy and use him for a couple of seasons since he is a much economical alternative. 

I must say though, i'm disappointed that they had downgraded Lukaku.  :idiot:

He still doesn't under perform or anything, he played above 7.00 for both seasons and scored 16, 17 goals respectively. 

But in the previous games, he never got under 7.50, and scored like mad, at least 20 a season and no matter how good a regen came out, you simply couldn't replace him.

however in this version, he is highly replaceable since his finishing doesn't get above 15 and first touch doesn't change from 13, and what he does on the pitch is although still good enough- is much less than what we had seen in FM 2016

I'll keep you guys informed about my progress into the second season. 

Screen Shot 2016-11-12 at 18.14.20.png

Screen Shot 2016-11-12 at 18.14.34.png

Screen Shot 2016-11-12 at 18.15.04.png

I've just finished my first season, very disappointed to only finish 10th but I did win the FA Cup beating Man United and stopping them from winning a domestic treble.

Lukaku scored 21 in the league but is unhappy at the lack of Champions League football and a number of clubs are interested in him but no offers as yet and that's the same for Barkley.

Not sure if anyone else has brought him in yet but Depay really was a brilliant loan signing but unfortunately he's getting a run in the United team for the new season.

I failed in a bid to bring Rooney in, his wages are a joke, wanted £250k a week so settled for Ravel Morrison instead.

Moshiri was listed as a sugardaddy but only as an underwriter I think, he'll only cover losses basically. Gutted as only have £13m to spend and after Morrison & compensation for Berahino which was £3m I'm only left with £5m and my squad needs more depth.

IUsedToBeGreat - Ouch that's not good mate. You running with any add-ons?

Capajr - cheers for the formation - how have you set up team/player instructions? That first transfer page, is that the first season? Struggled to sell players for any decent figures in the games i'd tried!

I failed to start my Everton game over the weekend, think I will get on it tonight

13 minutes ago, evertonmarc said:

IUsedToBeGreat - Ouch that's not good mate. You running with any add-ons?

Good to see you back Marc!

Only kits and badges? I think it is more likely this blinking laptop than the game! I am now saving after every game - just to be sure - Lucky for me I am still hanging on in there after my last 2 games so... Tony Pulis likes a ruck doesnt he... Best approach take the **** and beat him!

Latest Save.jpg

About to begin my 3rd season after finishing 5th & 3th. 

Throughout the transfer season, i tried to remain at the positive after my dealings, and i'm glad i did. 

3 deals, 3 great transfers and i must say this team definitely is a contender for the top4! 

Screen Shot 2016-11-14 at 15.26.49.png

Screen Shot 2016-11-14 at 16.35.49.png

1 hour ago, evertonmarc said:

Capajr - cheers for the formation - how have you set up team/player instructions? That first transfer page, is that the first season? Struggled to sell players for any decent figures in the games i'd tried!

I failed to start my Everton game over the weekend, think I will get on it tonight

Yeah thats the first season, the 189m fee was paid for the incoming transfers. 

for the next two summer transfers, i remained at positive balance.

the image shows you my team instructions but i keep changing them depending on my opponent, for example if i play against man city i i reduce the closing down a bit more and stay on feet, if i want to score a lot against a weaker team, i close down more, stuck in and be expressive. 

Screen Shot 2016-11-14 at 16.42.37.png

23 minutes ago, Welshace said:

Crashes have a thousand reasons... usually to do with your own pc setup..

Aye I read that on the crashes forum after the first crash cost me 2 months, it most likely the laptop - but I haven't had issues like this in previous versions, but then I have a 3 star performance on the game (usually I dont run below 4 star) - Tracking the crashes its seems to be when I come out of the game using the windows key to get to my desktop - everything just freezes.

Now the game is in a window so I dont have to do that anyway - plus after losing the same 2 months again I've been saving after every match!

*windmills*... I did it - Title in my first season - More by accident than design in the end... All our bottle was going... I was 3-1 up away to West Ham, it ended 3-3... 3-1 down to Swansea, ended 3-3... In the end it was Spurs failure to capitalise that gifted me the title!

Table 

Final Standings.jpg

Results

Results.jpg

However a broken promise to Oğuzhan Özyakupr (he wanted to take free kicks over Baines... Ha) has led to a MASSIVE end of season 'upsetathon' - Everton arent we :rolleyes:

Squad 1.jpg

Squad 2.jpg

Beautiful stuff - recommend that 4-3-1-2 Tactic... I am off to pay homage to the creator of it!

In my 3rd season, we finished the league 3rd again just like the last season.

the biggest highlight was that we won the league cup against Man Utd

also, we went up to the semi final in the Champions League, knocked out against Spurs

Screen Shot 2016-11-16 at 16.06.37.png

Screen Shot 2016-11-16 at 16.13.10.png

What a frustrating game. I have settled on a tactic now and I am in February currently sat in 12th place. I fear I messed my game up in the first decision I made, which was to sell Lukaku. I did get £36m up front with add ons to take it to £63m. Spurs who bought him are now flying at the top and he has scored loads.

January transfer window has passed and my team plays a 4 2 3 1 and looks like this;

Steklenberg

Coleman

Baines

Sidnei

Flores

Carrick bought for £625k

Mccarthy

Yarmelenko 

Babel

Barkley

Pohjanpalo 

I need to try and get through this season to keep my job and push on for next year.

I resigned - I asked for more coaches... Refused... I asked for affiliate club to increase the profile of the club... Refused - I demanded - it got messy - I issued an ultimatum... I am out of work!

I signed Moussa Dembélé (£10 mil) from Celtic and Jack Butland (£15 mil) from relegated Stoke...

I dont get why the board (who are rich) wont budge...

I have this one saved anyway - but will see where this takes me!

Van Gaal is favorite for the job... Mike Phelan 3rd favorite  :seagull:

Was fired after sitting at 12th place in November. Got crushed 5-1 by Chelsea and apparently the board had enough of my losing ways.

A couple of really bad results against mid-bottom level teams. Not sure where my downfall was but I think I was too aggressive in my formation. I lined up with a 4-2-3-1 with the 2 DM's sitting at CM instead of DM. This probably caused me to give up too many goals.

I really like Everton's squad and am going to give it another go...

Half way through the second and season and need some more depth. Just left Leeds to become Everton manager and have a decent squad just need back up. Letting Ashley Williams go, 70K a week and he's too slow for my liking. Lennon is another I'm selling. Need a replacement striker in case Lukaku gets injured 

Coming to the end of my second season and currently 7th 9 points behind top 4, into the 2nd knock out stages of the Europa League and have a Carling Cup Final against West Ham to look forward to.

Hopefully that'll be my 3rd cup in two seasons having already won the FA Cup and Charity Shield.

Berahino is a great signing with 28 goals in all competitions so far.

Only grievance is I'm losing Barkley on a free to Roma in the summer after he wouldn't sign a new contract and with a lack of transfer funds I may struggle to replace him.

Archived