FM 17 - Olympique de Marseille: The american dream !!

nico_france

Hi Guys !

Hope you're enjoying your saves so far :)

A real pleasure to see some new faces on board btw !!

I had to face computers problems which are now sorted out and i definitely look forward starting a new save after the January update

A brand new left flank Evra+Payet and a great CM like Sanson are IMMENSE additions to the existing squad

I guess Maxime Lopez will get a significant Pa/Ca boost as he cannot become a Key player in the current version of the game

All the best for your saves :)

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello,

I completed season 2 and... OM are champions (28V 4D 6L)!!! :cool: 8 points ahead of PSG and 10 from OL. The team also won the coupe de la ligue on penalties against Monaco.

In Europe, we improved a bit in the champions league, reaching the 1/4 final and loosing 3-1 to Atletico....

For season 3, I brought back Mendy from Monaco after upsetting him for 25M €, Koziello from Nice for 17.5M € and Butelle for 500k as a backup GK as Pelé retired.

Season jut started and OM won the Trophy des champions against PSG 3-1.

Ow and for some reason the stadium should have been bought at the end of season 2 but it didn't happen... I asked again and it is now scheduled for the end of this season

• 1 month later...

Marseille is a really fun team to play with, i'm currently at work so i'll post some screenshots later when i get back home, BUT i'm about to start season 3 and so far so good! 

The fact that Marseille now has a foreground sugar-daddy makes things very interesting for the French league in terms of OM's potential vs teams like Lyon,PSG,Monaco

I have added all the winter transfers and with the addition of Depay, Lyon played immensely and surpassed everyone and became champions, i ended up being 3rd, with no other success.

Second season was very, VERY different, although i still finished 3rd, this time PSG were the champions and Lyon is the runner up. 

French Cup, i was in the final against PSG, lost it primarly due to the fact that both my goalkeepers were away, at a u21 international match??? 

Coupe de la Ligue: Won it.

Champions league: Finalist!!! lost it against Barca 5-2 

I will highlight all the details of this whole process in the next post with screenshots of my transfers, etc.. 

My team for season 3:

GK:Lafont, Kamara

DR:Zappacosta, Almamy Toure(replacing Corchia) 

DC:Vallejo, Lemos, Goldaniga, Kamara

DL:Ghoulam, Dimarco

MC:Kessie, Abdou Diakhate, Marchetti

MC:Kondogbia, Sansone, Asascibar

AMRL:Carrasco, Coco, Ocampos, Mbappe(replacing Thauvin)

FC:Belotti, Lautaro Martinez, Porsan- Clemente

(might make my 3rd move of the transfer market by loaning out Martinez & buying a high profile FC) 

THE BIGGEST OBSTACLE IS THE HOMEGROWN RULE, ITS REALLY A PAIN IN THE ASS WITH THIS MARSEILLE TEAM. 

On 7/3/2017 at 20:37, CapaJr said:

Marseille is a really fun team to play with, i'm currently at work so i'll post some screenshots later when i get back home, BUT i'm about to start season 3 and so far so good! 

The fact that Marseille now has a foreground sugar-daddy makes things very interesting for the French league in terms of OM's potential vs teams like Lyon,PSG,Monaco

I have added all the winter transfers and with the addition of Depay, Lyon played immensely and surpassed everyone and became champions, i ended up being 3rd, with no other success.

Second season was very, VERY different, although i still finished 3rd, this time PSG were the champions and Lyon is the runner up. 

French Cup, i was in the final against PSG, lost it primarly due to the fact that both my goalkeepers were away, at a u21 international match??? 

I will highlight all the details of this whole process in the next post with screenshots of my transfers, etc.. 

My team for season 3:

(might make my 3rd move of the transfer market by loaning out Martinez & buying a high profile FC) 

THE BIGGEST OBSTACLE IS THE HOMEGROWN RULE, ITS REALLY A PAIN IN THE ASS WITH THIS MARSEILLE TEAM. 

That is a crazy side that you have collected there. How much did you spend in each transfer window?

On 7/3/2017 at 20:37, CapaJr said:

My team for season 3:

1. Maxime Lopez

2, Jeremie Porsan-Clemente

3. Stephane Sparagna

4. Bring back one or more of Nasri, the Ayew brothers or Mendy 

then the French players you have to reach the nation requirements 

should be doable 

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, duds said:

Patch 17.3.1 has the Winter transfers update so Marseille has bought Payet for over £20 million.

That's probably why the budget is less.

Correct, Payet was brought in for almost 30M€ IRL, 10M€+ for Sanson and Evra as well  so it's logical that the starting budget is smaller as the squad got major signings IRL this winter

• 4 weeks later...

Finished the 2nd season as Marseille manager 12 points behind QSG :herman:

But did manage to bring in a treble 

3-1 League Cup final against Dijon FCO

p2-2 UEFA cup against Man C

4-1 French Cup against Stade Malherbe Caen 

Have had a lot of trouble with the team so far, couldn't get it to click until late February, but went on a run from there with only one loss in the league and two draws in the UEFA cup (Roma away and Man C in the final, which was won on penalties)

• 3 weeks later...

OM have been on my wishlist of clubs to try for years, and now that the likes of Ayew, Gignac, Nkoulou and Mandanda, players I’ve admired from afar have all left, this seems like the perfect time to finally give them a go!

Season 1

OM’s irl winter transfer business on the 17.3 database means that the transfer budget has been greatly reduced (but with Payet, Sanson and Evra added), so the only major purchases were Rajkovic (£5.5m) and Driussi (a slightly hefty £11m). With the club loans already maxed out I also added David Simon (not The Wire guy) as backup WB R, along with Simao and Cassano on frees (Cassano tore an achilles in the final friendly and ended up barely making the bench when he returned).

With plenty of CBs, good WBs, a plethora of AMs, and a shortage of quality strikers, I set up in a 3-4-2-1 system I’d previously used with Spurs. While defensively solid, for a long time we struggled to click in attack. A long Man Utd-style unbeaten run filled with draws kept us in the top half through the Autumn to meet the board’s expectations, but surely nobody else’s. Conceding less than 1 GoalPG was a positive, but also scoring less than 1 GoalPG led to numerous tweaks of the system, with an atrocious Payet eventually being dropped, a switch to 3-5-1-1 to try and get more runners from deep, and only Gomis and young Maxime Lopez impressing from our attacking corps. The purchase of transfer-listed Wissam Ben Yedder from Sevilla (£6m) in January prompted a switch to 3-5-2, and whether it was the change in shape or simply the addition of the former Toulouse man’s goals (15 in 17), performances began to improve, draws turned into wins, and narrow wins turned into big wins. While the cups are best left unmentioned, we climbed into a fight for European places, eventually finishing 5th just behind Monaco and Nice to book a return to continental competition. PSG took both domestic cups and the runners up spot behind Lyon, who were fired to the title by Lacazette’s 37 league goals (as well as the 20 penalties they were awarded). Rajkovic meanwhile won GKOTY as part of the league’s joint-best defence.

Season 2 - Pre-Season

With a number of loans ending (Gomis, N’Jie, Vainqueur) and several veterans moved on (Evra, Bedimo, Fanni, Diaby, Cassano), I had four positions I wanted to fill going into the summer, with a £25m budget and a decent amount in wages to spend.

First up was a new left WB. Despite interest from Liverpool, we managed to bag Kolasinac for £17m, with young Jannes Horn, second on our shortlist then replacing Bedimo for £2.8m. Central defence was strengthened with Marcos Rojo for £6.75m, his large Premier League level wages justified by the upgrade he offered on our current defenders. Although I had no plans to move him on after 40 appearances last season, Southampton’s pursuit of Doria and subsequent increased offer of £12m led to his departure, with Clement Lenglet then snapped up off the transfer list for a £2.2m fee. After missing out on Sebastian Rode who chose to return to Bayern, Roque Mesa (£9.5m) arrived to supplant Simao in midfield. Benoit Costil on a free was too good an opportunity to turn down, and he joined to challenge Rajkovic for the gloves.

With a new first XI WB, CB and CM added, that left just one of my four pre-season needs to fill. A long pursuit of Danny Ings came to naught, with my reluctance to agree a large fee due to his injury problems and our stretched budget plus interest from other clubs leading to him moving elsewhere. Initially I wanted to add a partner for Ben Yedder, with Driussi as first reserve, but playing a system with no place for AMs (Payet and Thauvin are being retrained to play deeper), meant the sale of Cabella and the decision to retrain the returning Lucas Ocampos as a DLF to compete with Driussi. This then meant that our need up front, in lieu of being able to add another quality striker, became a backup for Ben Yedder, with Mariano, a player I looked at last summer before realising I couldn’t add any more loan players, subsequently making the temporary move from Real Madrid.

So with the transfer budget spent and all the squad’s immediate needs filled (though with a lookout kept for another striker), the new Ligue 1 season and the Europa League qualifiers awaited.

Screen Shot 2017-05-15 at 16.35.14.png

Are people still getting large transfer budgets on the latest database?

McCourt has been pumping in money whenever the balance has dropped below c£18m (£45m in total during the first season), but the transfer budget was only £25m in summer 2017.

3 hours ago, dojoneil said:

Are people still getting large transfer budgets on the latest database?

McCourt has been pumping in money whenever the balance has dropped below c£18m (£45m in total during the first season), but the transfer budget was only £25m in summer 2017.

Hi mate

Good start so far, i wish you luck for your 2nd season

I did not play that much till the new update is out, but before winter patch, Mc Court is backing the club like a great sugar daddy, so you got plenty of cash incoming during your career, so dont hesitate, just spend when you need it 😬

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 22/4/2017 at 06:58, DKB said:

Finished the 2nd season as Marseille manager 12 points behind QSG :herman:

But did manage to bring in a treble 

3-1 League Cup final against Dijon FCO

p2-2 UEFA cup against Man C

4-1 French Cup against Stade Malherbe Caen 

Have had a lot of trouble with the team so far, couldn't get it to click until late February, but went on a run from there with only one loss in the league and two draws in the UEFA cup (Roma away and Man C in the final, which was won on penalties)

So season 3

Main goal was the league, meaning that the reserves would play both cups + in Europe

To help reach the goal the following was brought in + some newgens

Diego Dalot - Porto - New first choice right wing back

Vyacheslav Karavaev - Sparta Prague - New back up at right wing back

Alex Terras - Porto - New first choice left wing back

Alfred Duncan - Sassuolo - New midfield conquer, absolutely loves him 

Andre Ayew - West Ham - Had to bring him back when I had the chance, didn't work out and moves on in the summer

Egyptian newgen striker - Ismaily - Forced himself into the starting 11 - Wonderkid

Danish newgen DC - Randers - Solid and 3rd choice in the central defense - Wonderkid

---

PSG ran me close until the January window where they spended big and brought in two major signings that messed them up, and they slipped down the table 

---

Season 3 rundown

League 1 - Winners, 9 points down to Monaco and Lyon and 2nd and 3rd, and a PSG only ended up in 4th (15 points behind me) so they missed out on CL football next season :D:D:D 

League Cup - Lost in the semi against Toulouse, after penalties

French Cup - Winners, smashed PSG 4-1 in the final

Champions League - went out against Man U, collapsing in Manchester with a 4-0 loss, after having won 3-0 in Marseille 

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, metalface13 said:

I've been playing OM, I'm on my fourth season. Are you also getting into the Champions League? I think my transfer budgets have been 50-60m.

Champions League football is quite easy to reach, the only real competitor is PSG, AI teambuilding is so bad, that from S2 with the resources you are given, you can't miss Champions League football

1 hour ago, nico_france said:

Champions League football is quite easy to reach, the only real competitor is PSG, AI teambuilding is so bad, that from S2 with the resources you are given, you can't miss Champions League football

True, just wondering why his budgets seem so low. Or I'm misremembering the budgets I got?

15 minutes ago, metalface13 said:

True, just wondering why his budgets seem so low. Or I'm misremembering the budgets I got?

it depends on how you bought in the past seasons as well, as far as i remember, i was getting 100M+, but i usually buy straight away with very few monthly installments

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/8/2017 at 22:42, DKB said:

So season 3

Main goal was the league, meaning that the reserves would play both cups + in Europe

To help reach the goal the following was brought in + some newgens

Diego Dalot - Porto - New first choice right wing back

Vyacheslav Karavaev - Sparta Prague - New back up at right wing back

Alex Terras - Porto - New first choice left wing back

Alfred Duncan - Sassuolo - New midfield conquer, absolutely loves him 

Andre Ayew - West Ham - Had to bring him back when I had the chance, didn't work out and moves on in the summer

Egyptian newgen striker - Ismaily - Forced himself into the starting 11 - Wonderkid

Danish newgen DC - Randers - Solid and 3rd choice in the central defense - Wonderkid

---

PSG ran me close until the January window where they spended big and brought in two major signings that messed them up, and they slipped down the table 

---

Season 3 rundown

League 1 - Winners, 9 points down to Monaco and Lyon and 2nd and 3rd, and a PSG only ended up in 4th (15 points behind me) so they missed out on CL football next season :D:D:D 

League Cup - Lost in the semi against Toulouse, after penalties

French Cup - Winners, smashed PSG 4-1 in the final

Champions League - went out against Man U, collapsing in Manchester with a 4-0 loss, after having won 3-0 in Marseille 

Season 4 rundown

So going into the season as defending champions with both league to defend, and CL to take part of

Criteria once again; Win the league, give the cup games + CL to the reserves to gain playing time to develop them 

Transfer history (only senior/major players) - Newgen players marked with *

Ins (Summer): Giovani Lo Celso (QSG £1.4m) - Niklas Süle (Bayern £9m) - Romelu Lukaku (Everton Free) - Issa Diop (Toulouse £13.75) - Alban Lafont (Toulouse £9.5m) - Petkovic* (Dinamo £8m)

Ins (Winter): Tiemoue Bakayoko (Monaco £6.75m) - Malang Sarr (Nice £36.5m)

Out: Kind of balanced the books by selling players for £93m and "only buying for £107m, won't go through the sales, bud did sell on Süle in the winter as there were no room after Sarr joined.

Competitions:

Ligue 1 - Ended up winning it with 8 points down to QSG, 17 points down to Monaco and Lyon and shared 3/4 place

Trophee des Champions - 3-0 win against Monaco

League Cup - Lost the final on penalties after drawing 4-4 with QSG

French Cup - Lost semi final against QSG 3-1

Champions League - Group against Barca, Inter and Dinamo. The reserves went through the group stage undefeated, only drewing once against  - S04 was sent out in the first know out stage - Juventus in the Qtr finals, after loosing 4-1, the reserves won the second leg 4-1 and and scored in the extra time - The reserves once more showed their worth by trashing Atl Madrid 7-3 at home, before loosing 2-0 in Madrid - Meaning that we faced Bayern Munich in the final in Amsterdam - A big thank you to the reserves and the first team finished the CL campaign off with 6 French players in the starting lineup

U07aYUK.png

End of the season strongest lineup

Lafont

Sarr-----Diop

Dalot--------------------------Owuso*

Duncan-----Coquelin

Lopez--------Lo Celso

Vietto----Abdel Fadil*

Reserves

Rajkovic

Wilbroe*-----Luan

Karavaev------------------------Telles

Zucullini-----Bakayoko

Sanson------Thauvin

Dembele-----Lukaku

Absolutely love that QSG let Lo Celso leave and especially at the low price of £1.4m

Qy85kaB.png

Looking forward to the next now close to formerly QSG players joins in the summer, he will cost a bit more but still I think that the £13m will be money well spend - will need to remove the get forward at all times, but hopefully it will be done

baJCDc6.png

• 3 weeks later...

@DKB I'm always amazed how PSG can loose top players/prospects for ridiculous small fees, in every save i experienced Lo Celso can't make it to PSG first team at all,

These kind of situations should have been adjusted in FM18 as far as i understood

Glad to see that you get the best of Maxime Lopez in your save ! And well done for your great success !!

7 hours ago, nico_france said:

@DKB I'm always amazed how PSG can loose top players/prospects for ridiculous small fees, in every save i experienced Lo Celso can't make it to PSG first team at all,

These kind of situations should have been adjusted in FM18 as far as i understood

Glad to see that you get the best of Maxime Lopez in your save ! And well done for your great success !!

Guess that it is down to them buying a fair bit of new first team players each season, so there is no room for them to play youth players and when they reach 23-24 they becomes unhappy with no playing time and starts demanding transfers, actually I think that the youth players if good enough should start demanding regular football far earlier than 23-24, like Fruchtl of Bayern Munich 3-4 years into the game he is one of the best keepers in the game, but is happy to sit on the bench and get next to no playing time

Regarding Lopez, put him out on loan in the first season to Montpellier to gain first team football, and he has just taken huge steps forwards each season

season 2 - 38 games, 11 goals, 10 assists, 7.36 avr

season 3 - 39 games, 10 goals, 14 assists, 7.28 avr

season 4 - 41 games, 12 goals, 16 assists, 7.40 avr 

season 5 - 23 games, 16 goals, 12 assists, 7.83 avr (still in February)

17 caps for France so far

Archived