Football Manager 2017 Official Feedback Thread

Just now, Neil Brock said:

It's part of the social media feature, you're taken to screens more often so you can be kept up to date with what's going on. You can make it stop less often by going into your preferences and on the 'Interface' panel selecting 'Have fewer stops in play by increasing the duration of each processing break'. 

I have done that, but it still stops too often. The only difference I could see was that it now didn't stop for each single message, but it still stops at least once a day.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a few words to say that a few games beyond pre-season, I'm enjoying the new game and improved match engine.

The only minor thing I found so far was that the manager appearance choices seem to revert back to a basic hair colour (no big deal).

Also can I ask some advice, as I don't seem to be doing the create a club thing right. I never used it before, but went in and changed the name of Seattle to Seattle Lyon, because the MSL club apparently has an affiliate link to African Lyon in Tanzania. Having re-named them, added a nickname, changed the kits etc, I wasn't able to complete through on the final red button 'create club'. Am I wrong thinking that I can create my own squad from scratch? Part of my plan was to create my own MLS squad for Seattle Lyon, and also to send out some decent players to the affiliate club on loan, as I thought maybe I could get some interesting result improvements in Africa.

• Administrators
23 minutes ago, AIK said:

I have done that, but it still stops too often. The only difference I could see was that it now didn't stop for each single message, but it still stops at least once a day.

Raise it on the bugs forum if you think it's stopping too much. For my personal tastes I agree with you that it stops too often, but the general consensus during testing was that people thought it was fine and much improved. 

Home > Promises

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

See how you now have to agree promises with agents before you talk about contracts, is there any way to see them after you sign them? I'm trying to remember what promises I had with a player who has clubs interested, but I can't find them.

I just wanted to try and discuss this before having it get lost in the feature request thread but I'm aware I should post there 'if I want SI to see it'.

I sold a player for £4.3 million. About six months later I got a £600k bonus due to a clause for his new team winning the FA cup. 
I'd quite like to see that mean that before his new team one the cup, when I click on his history page it shows his transfer as being for £4.3m, but after it shows as £4.9 m, true reflect my true negotiations. Its currently still showing £4.3m

Is this a sensible desire on my part or would other clause situations make it too complicated? Or is it just a silly thing to want anyway.

OK sorry I assumed they'd all be there as the improve coaching ones were there.

I could be wrong again, but I think the stepping stone promise doesn't show on that screen as it manifests as a compulsory min fee clause during contract negotiations. (although I have once and only once promised someone stepping stone then not had clause).
#steviemay4eva

1 hour ago, Neil Brock said:

Raise it on the bugs forum if you think it's stopping too much. For my personal tastes I agree with you that it stops too often, but the general consensus during testing was that people thought it was fine and much improved. 

The way you've described it makes it not a bug, it's rather a deliberate decision that's unfortunately not good at all. :(

Wouldn't it be a good idea to let us choose speed instead? Maybe four levels? 1. As it is now. 2. How it is with the 'Have fewer stops in play by increasing the duration of each processing break' option. 3. As it were before. 4. It will simulate until the next match or next message that requires immediate response.

It takes way too much time to proceed as it is now. I guess it's great for someone that have a 100% focus to the game everytime he's playing, but one of the things that makes FM so great are that you can play it while doing other things at the same time.

• Administrators
6 minutes ago, AIK said:

The way you've described it makes it not a bug, it's rather a deliberate decision that's unfortunately not good at all. :(

Wouldn't it be a good idea to let us choose speed instead? Maybe four levels? 1. As it is now. 2. How it is with the 'Have fewer stops in play by increasing the duration of each processing break' option. 3. As it were before. 4. It will simulate until the next match or next message that requires immediate response.

It takes way too much time to proceed as it is now. I guess it's great for someone that have a 100% focus to the game everytime he's playing, but one of the things that makes FM so great are that you can play it while doing other things at the same time.

Like I said, I agree with you, but I was one of only a couple of people who said as much at any point during internal and external testing. If you think it's an issue raise it as a bug. Any of the other suggestions are really feature requests and should be raised in the features forum. 

• Administrators
21 minutes ago, Marathon Dress Week said:

I'm currently playing the demo.

So far, despite playing with top players, I am finding the shooting to be very poor indeed. Balls are frequently blazed miles over the bar or just shot straight at defenders/keepers.

Also DFKs appear to be incredibly limp.

Okay I've you've got specific answers may be worth raising it here on our bugs forum - https://community.sigames.com/forum/515-match-engine-issues/

Thanks. 

Hopefully this is seen as constructive feedback - I think I'm in the minority on my opinions, but these are the reasons I won't be buying after playing the Demo (FM Touch).

Although already disillusioned with the repetition in player interactions, team talks, media, etc, hence why I turned to Touch, Social Media brings this gameworld-breaking repetition back again. I quite like the concept, but it gets very repetitive, and very quickly. I also understand why it has to be saccharin-sweet being a family game, but that also takes away from the immersion

I really don't enjoy the matches any more either - the change to the tactics system to player roles and mentalities has always felt as if I have less control than the old system tbh. It may be more nuanced, but without better documentation it's not intuitive, and the labels are often downright misleading (I'm thinking of Defensive, Control, etc).

I know people will jump on this, but I feel that there needs to be something between the current system (again, if you had more clarity over what the formations and tactics actually did it would be a good system) and the old Wibble/Wobble (that's the bit I expect to get jumped on!). You always hear reports of managers drilling teams to be more organised, banks of four (if playing 442 obviously!) and having walkthroughs to make sure players know where they should be on the pitch in certain (mostly defensive) scenarios. That's impossible to do with the current set up, but was absolutely simple to do with wibble/wobble. Where the current system would improve things would be on the offensive side of the ball, so maybe having structural shape based on something like wibble/wobble mixed with well explained player roles and mentalities would work well?

One thing that seems to have been omitted is the player attributes from the team tactic screen - last year there you could see the important attributes highlighted that matched the role/mentality which helped me a little, but without it I find it thoroughly confusing (I know the information is 3-4 clicks away for each player, but too many clicks to find out the information is also a game destroyer for me, particularly when it was on the main screen last year)

Assistant advice in game is very misleading on occasion, and when the initial set-up is confusing for me, potentially misleading assistance advice is a hindrance, not a help. You obviously don't have to take the advice, but having it there should help clarify things, not add further layers of confusion.

(A small note: I read about getting advice on recommendations on player roles and mentalities, but couldn't work out how to get this advice. Is that a full-fat feature only?)

The instant result feature was of interest given my lack of understanding on the current tactical system, until I realised that you saw the score straight away - it would work really well IMO if the instant result led to a screen or option where you could watch the match play out without knowing the score, which would add to the tension and draw you into the game world.

In summary, for me the tactical set-up is mostly confusing, and even counter-intuitive at times, and the attempts to add to the realism actually detract from it. For me FM has always been a game based on immersion into the game world - having limited control over structure and shape while also having very artificial personalities and social world take me out of the immersion too much.

I appreciate not everyone will agree with this, but this just my feedback in the feedback thread. To all who do like the game, good luck to you and I hope you get as many hours enjoyment out of the franchise as I did in the 90s & 2000s.

1 hour ago, Marathon Dress Week said:

I'm currently playing the demo.

So far, despite playing with top players, I am finding the shooting to be very poor indeed. Balls are frequently blazed miles over the bar or just shot straight at defenders/keepers.

Also DFKs appear to be incredibly limp.

Keep in mind, it happens in real life too. United have the most expensive team ever but I think they have one of the lowest conversion rates and goals/shots ratio too. 

54 minutes ago, Jari Rantanen\'s Shorts said:

Hopefully this is seen as constructive feedback - I think I'm in the minority on my opinions, but these are the reasons I won't be buying after playing the Demo (FM Touch).

Although already disillusioned with the repetition in player interactions, team talks, media, etc, hence why I turned to Touch, Social Media brings this gameworld-breaking repetition back again. I quite like the concept, but it gets very repetitive, and very quickly. I also understand why it has to be saccharin-sweet being a family game, but that also takes away from the immersion

I really don't enjoy the matches any more either - the change to the tactics system to player roles and mentalities has always felt as if I have less control than the old system tbh. It may be more nuanced, but without better documentation it's not intuitive, and the labels are often downright misleading (I'm thinking of Defensive, Control, etc).

I know people will jump on this, but I feel that there needs to be something between the current system (again, if you had more clarity over what the formations and tactics actually did it would be a good system) and the old Wibble/Wobble (that's the bit I expect to get jumped on!). You always hear reports of managers drilling teams to be more organised, banks of four (if playing 442 obviously!) and having walkthroughs to make sure players know where they should be on the pitch in certain (mostly defensive) scenarios. That's impossible to do with the current set up, but was absolutely simple to do with wibble/wobble. Where the current system would improve things would be on the offensive side of the ball, so maybe having structural shape based on something like wibble/wobble mixed with well explained player roles and mentalities would work well?

One thing that seems to have been omitted is the player attributes from the team tactic screen - last year there you could see the important attributes highlighted that matched the role/mentality which helped me a little, but without it I find it thoroughly confusing (I know the information is 3-4 clicks away for each player, but too many clicks to find out the information is also a game destroyer for me, particularly when it was on the main screen last year)

Assistant advice in game is very misleading on occasion, and when the initial set-up is confusing for me, potentially misleading assistance advice is a hindrance, not a help. You obviously don't have to take the advice, but having it there should help clarify things, not add further layers of confusion.

(A small note: I read about getting advice on recommendations on player roles and mentalities, but couldn't work out how to get this advice. Is that a full-fat feature only?)

The instant result feature was of interest given my lack of understanding on the current tactical system, until I realised that you saw the score straight away - it would work really well IMO if the instant result led to a screen or option where you could watch the match play out without knowing the score, which would add to the tension and draw you into the game world.

In summary, for me the tactical set-up is mostly confusing, and even counter-intuitive at times, and the attempts to add to the realism actually detract from it. For me FM has always been a game based on immersion into the game world - having limited control over structure and shape while also having very artificial personalities and social world take me out of the immersion too much.

I appreciate not everyone will agree with this, but this just my feedback in the feedback thread. To all who do like the game, good luck to you and I hope you get as many hours enjoyment out of the franchise as I did in the 90s & 2000s.

I actually agree with a lot of what you say. Especially:

1) Player interactions, team talks, media ---> Last year I told myself I will never buy full fat FM again, mainly because of this.

2) Wibble/Wobble, sliders or some other tools giving more control control over tactics, players positioning are needed. Now the tactical side of the game is reduced to some fancy named roles and illogical concepts (eg. fluid means compact with more creative freedom..... SI, take a look at Atlético Madrid what it means to be compact, how is modern 4-4-2 played etc.)

• SI Staff
17 hours ago, RobertPage said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UmR6FJZYzM

I'd like to say that goalkeepers going for the ball down with one hand is a rare thing but it's not. Constantly this animation pops up and it shouldn't even be an animation. Year after year goalkeepers have been appalling and what has generally been a very good game, goalkeepers are once again a massive let down

Can you head over to the ME Forums and attach a PKM of the game that this happened please RobertPage: https://community.sigames.com/forum/515-match-engine-issues/

Cheers,

Nic

Can I get some help please?

What do I need to do to get this guy a work permit for the EPL?

Since signing, he's obtained 12 caps and played the majority of games for Dinamo Zagreb whilst on loan.

I'm concerned he'll never get one and I may have to sell?

Predrag Rajkovic_ Overview Profile.png

Rules might have changed but I think it was 75% of games in last two years. So I'm sure if he continues like that then in 18 months or so he should get one, if Serbia stay high enough. He theoretically might get one if he gets better/more rep too, but I'm not 100%

7 minutes ago, martplfc1 said:

75% of Serbia's games?

Cheers PA.

Yes, but please note the rules might have changed and I might be wrong. Think I'm right though, the text in-game references making enough appearances, so I think 75% in last 24 months is how its done

• Administrators
35 minutes ago, Per Annum said:

Yes, but please note the rules might have changed and I might be wrong. Think I'm right though, the text in-game references making enough appearances, so I think 75% in last 24 months is how its done

Depends where his national team are ranked in the FIFA rankings. More info here - http://www.inbrief.co.uk/football-law/footballer-work-permits/

4 hours ago, Per Annum said:

I just wanted to try and discuss this before having it get lost in the feature request thread but I'm aware I should post there 'if I want SI to see it'.

I sold a player for £4.3 million. About six months later I got a £600k bonus due to a clause for his new team winning the FA cup. 
I'd quite like to see that mean that before his new team one the cup, when I click on his history page it shows his transfer as being for £4.3m, but after it shows as £4.9 m, true reflect my true negotiations. Its currently still showing £4.3m

Is this a sensible desire on my part or would other clause situations make it too complicated? Or is it just a silly thing to want anyway.

Your best raising the issue in the bugs forum, as in FM16 the value of the transfer would update after clauses had been paid, so I'd expect it to do the same in FM17.

3 hours ago, AIK said:

If you set the 'Continue Game Timeout' option to enabled from the preferences screen then the game should automatically continue on until it gets to an item requiring a response.

14 minutes ago, michaeltmurrayuk said:

If you go to the Rules tab on the Premier League page it should tell you what the rules regarding work permits are.

It's like reading an essay! Also not sure what category it falls under if you already own the player.

Edit - it only lists the top 50 national teams. Outside of this, does it mean he won't get a permit?

• Administrators
7 minutes ago, martplfc1 said:

It's like reading an essay! Also not sure what category it falls under if you already own the player.

Edit - it only lists the top 50 national teams. Outside of this, does it mean he won't get a permit?

Yes, he can't get one if his nation isn't in the top 50. 

Martin Ødegaard has a 9 rating on stamina. Exactly what is that based on? In july 2015 he beat all the first team players in a running test. Ronaldo, James and Modric the only players not participating.  In this years preseason they had a fitness test where gareth bale won, reaching level 14. Martin ødegaard and  Alvaro Tejero were the only other players reaching the same level. So rating him at 9 is pretty ridiculous.

Source, Madrid newspaper AS: http://futbol.as.com/futbol/2016/08/20/primera/1471660114_952800.html

4 hours ago, Jari Rantanen\'s Shorts said:

it would work really well IMO if the instant result led to a screen or option where you could watch the match play out without knowing the score, which would add to the tension and draw you into the game world.

Am I missing something here? Surely if you want to see how the match 'plays out', you would just play it rather than use instant result? 

Watching it kinda defeats the point of the feature being called 'instant result'

• SI Staff
37 minutes ago, bjorneklett said:

Martin Ødegaard has a 9 rating on stamina. Exactly what is that based on? In july 2015 he beat all the first team players in a running test. Ronaldo, James and Modric the only players not participating.  In this years preseason they had a fitness test where gareth bale won, reaching level 14. Martin ødegaard and  Alvaro Tejero were the only other players reaching the same level. So rating him at 9 is pretty ridiculous.

Source, Madrid newspaper AS: http://futbol.as.com/futbol/2016/08/20/primera/1471660114_952800.html

Hey there,

Thanks for taking the time to post. If you head over here - https://community.sigames.com/forum/324-database-and-research-issues/ - and open up a post in the relevant thread the proper people can review.

Cheers,
Seb.

So to expand upon my last post - Has anyone been hit with sudden drop in board confidence resulting in a points goal demand etc  (possibly in a strange situation , ie in the middle of the season or when you are just outside your target) or been hit with                  potentially unrealistic expectations in general ?

There are a couple similar situation in the data forum and one of the researches is suggesting it may be a bug rather than a DB issue.

My example was getting hit with a 11 points in 5 games demand off the board when I was sitting 2nd only 5 points adrift of Celtic with 7 games left (after being top from October to April) , my approval nosedived to 30% and I was eventually sacked. Now the issue I wanted to log in the DB forum was Rangers expectations being too high (or King being too sack happy) given it didn't reflect upon out situation in real life ( Rangers start with a non negotiable "win league" expectation). The Head Researcher suggested this wasn't a DB issue and that I shouldn't have been sacked for sitting second etc.

The second example was one of the lads in that thread managing St Johnstone, he was sitting 4th after 15 games , comfortably meeting expectations (probably overachieving) and was hit with a 11 points in 15 games target for "performing well below expectations"

6RSRQp8.png

Anyone else seen similar things in game ?

2 hours ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

Am I missing something here? Surely if you want to see how the match 'plays out', you would just play it rather than use instant result? 

Watching it kinda defeats the point of the feature being called 'instant result'

It's linked to my issues with the tactical system. I personally (and quite prepared to accept I'm in a user group of one here :) ) would like the AssMan to run the game, starting using a basic Match Plan and adjusting as he sees fit, but for me to be able to watch the highlights without knowing the score. So the difference is I'd be watching a replay of the finished game, rather than trying to tactically affect it in real time.

Just started a Liverpool game the touch version and seems only way can buy players is via director of football. Can you not buy players yourself anymore or is this because I am playing the touch version or in charge of Liverpool?

37 minutes ago, Jari Rantanen\'s Shorts said:

It's linked to my issues with the tactical system. I personally (and quite prepared to accept I'm in a user group of one here :) ) would like the AssMan to run the game, starting using a basic Match Plan and adjusting as he sees fit, but for me to be able to watch the highlights without knowing the score. So the difference is I'd be watching a replay of the finished game, rather than trying to tactically affect it in real time.

When the game finishes, don't look at the score, just click on the highlights button, and you'll get what you want. 

Archived