Football Manager 2017 Official Feedback Thread

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

Not sure if this is a bug as I don't follow the competition that closely in real life, but in my current save, I'm playing as Salford and I'm currently in League 2.  I managed to reach the final of the JPT (think it's called the Checkatrade Cup now or something but my real names fix still has it as the JPT). In the final, I came up against Coventry. As I'm in debt quite a bit, I was looking forward to the big gate receipts from the game at Wembley. 

Then I saw the attendance after the match. Just over 13,000 there. It informed me there was 4000 from Salford and the rest from Coventry. I checked Coventry's home attendances in League 1, and they range from 12-14000 for every home game. I know the JPT isn't that glamorous a trophy, but I find it hard to believe they would only bring 9000 fans to a cup final when they average more than 4000 more than this in the league. Looking at last season's final in real life, Oxford took 34000 to Wembley for the game vs Barnsley from an overall crowd of around 60,000. 

Needless to say I was gutted at missing out on a big pay day. I managed to win the cup on penalties, so it wasn't all bad, but I'm sure if this match was replicated in real life, there would be at least three times as many fans there. 

I think that might be replicating real life, though. I don't think anybody cares about the rebranded EFL Trophy anywhere near as much as the old Football League Trophy.

This season, the EFL Trophy has had record-low attendances, virtually across the board, following the major change of format that included the introduction of 'Under-23s' teams from PL and Championship clubs. I'm not expecting many people to turn up at Wembley for the Final, especially not if there's at least one 'Academy' team involved.

19 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

Not sure if this is a bug as I don't follow the competition that closely in real life, but in my current save, I'm playing as Salford and I'm currently in League 2.  I managed to reach the final of the JPT (think it's called the Checkatrade Cup now or something but my real names fix still has it as the JPT). In the final, I came up against Coventry. As I'm in debt quite a bit, I was looking forward to the big gate receipts from the game at Wembley. 

Then I saw the attendance after the match. Just over 13,000 there. It informed me there was 4000 from Salford and the rest from Coventry. I checked Coventry's home attendances in League 1, and they range from 12-14000 for every home game. I know the JPT isn't that glamorous a trophy, but I find it hard to believe they would only bring 9000 fans to a cup final when they average more than 4000 more than this in the league. Looking at last season's final in real life, Oxford took 34000 to Wembley for the game vs Barnsley from an overall crowd of around 60,000. 

Needless to say I was gutted at missing out on a big pay day. I managed to win the cup on penalties, so it wasn't all bad, but I'm sure if this match was replicated in real life, there would be at least three times as many fans there. 

The average attendance for the JPT final appears to be somewhere between 35,000 to 50,000 depending on the club's involved, so yes this definitely needs looking into.

8 minutes ago, CFuller said:

I think that might be replicating real life, though. I don't think anybody cares about the rebranded EFL Trophy anywhere near as much as the old Football League Trophy.

This season, the EFL Trophy has had record-low attendances, virtually across the board, following the major change of format that included the introduction of 'Under-23s' teams from PL and Championship clubs. I'm not expecting many people to turn up at Wembley for the Final, especially not if there's at least one 'Academy' team involved.

Aye, you might be right, however if the final is between two senior teams, particularly when one is a relatively well supported team, I'd still expect a much bigger crowd. I guess we'll see later on this season what'll happen. 

I know this is such a minor issue, but when i'm on the team selection screen, when i click on a position to select a player, one of the other positions blacks out and disappears (so for example, when selecting the left winger, the central midfielder selection would just change to a black panel)

Quick question re Scottish patch changes:

- Fixed Home/Away games imbalance after Scottish Premier League split
- Fixed Betfred Cup prize money

Do these need a new game to take effect?

Specifically, if I am pre-split in season 1 will the fixtures work ok in season 1 and subsequent seasons? Managing as Aberdeen is challenging enough without a fixture conspiracy post split!

Many thanks!

The non-fixing of the frankly completely unrealistic way that wingers and central midfielders defend in FM17 is unfortunately a dealbreaker for me. Sorry, like the game in almost all other aspects but this just does not feel like anything resembling real football to me.

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but in the new patch, players are marked as 'Trained in Nation' under 'Due Date' column, even though they are eligible (and perfectly fulfills all criteria) for 'Trained at Club'.

Back in 17.1.2, the 'Due Date' column was correctly reflected.

• Administrators
5 hours ago, llavitz said:

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but in the new patch, players are marked as 'Trained in Nation' under 'Due Date' column, even though they are eligible (and perfectly fulfills all criteria) for 'Trained at Club'.

Back in 17.1.2, the 'Due Date' column was correctly reflected.

Could you raise it for us here please? - https://community.sigames.com/forum/516-user-interface-issues/

Thanks. 

On 14.12.2016. at 19:07, Melroseby said:

Issue with signing German players fixed, just managed to sign Passlack for Augsburg :applause:

I've played 6 seasons with Gladbach and didn't notice one issue with german players. I've signed and sold german players, what was the issue about??

• SI Staff
12 hours ago, gothenburg83 said:

Quick question re Scottish patch changes:

- Fixed Home/Away games imbalance after Scottish Premier League split
- Fixed Betfred Cup prize money

Do these need a new game to take effect?

Specifically, if I am pre-split in season 1 will the fixtures work ok in season 1 and subsequent seasons? Managing as Aberdeen is challenging enough without a fixture conspiracy post split!

Many thanks!

Yes gothenburg83, unfortunately all fixes in the Competition & Rule Groups need a new saved game to take full effect.

I hope that you continue to enjoy FM17 and your Aberdeen save is both fun and challenging.

Cheers,

Nic 

my teams form has dropped dramatically since the update, and i have been finding it really hard to salvage my season. gone from having pretty even games to getting 1 shot per match. its the first time i have rage quit in 10 seasons lol sad i know.

now i have quit i don't have the heart to load up the previous save as it feels like cheating. the game is lost. (sad face)

i didn't think their were that many changes to the match engine, only the IV/WB.

Has anyone else had anything like this

the update was installed before the stoke game 29/12/16

Screen Shot 2016-12-16 at 11.07.29.png

Screen Shot 2016-12-16 at 11.07.57.png

Is it ever possible to build a new stadium like Juventus did? For example, playing with Roma on the Olimpico (70000 capacity) but having average attendances around 35000 and also sharing stadium with Lazio, I would live it if it would be possible to build just my Roma stadium. smaller one, like 40000 let's say. Have anyone ever seen something like that happen in game?

17 minutes ago, Fox said:

my teams form has dropped dramatically since the update, and i have been finding it really hard to salvage my season. gone from having pretty even games to getting 1 shot per match. its the first time i have rage quit in 10 seasons lol sad i know.

now i have quit i don't have the heart to load up the previous save as it feels like cheating. the game is lost. (sad face)

i didn't think their were that many changes to the match engine, only the IV/WB.

Has anyone else had anything like this

the update was installed before the stoke game 29/12/16

Screen Shot 2016-12-16 at 11.07.29.png

Screen Shot 2016-12-16 at 11.07.57.png

I don't see the issue.. the form wasn't too bad? you still went through in the Euro... you lost away to Utd, West Ham, Liverpool and West Brom... not extraordinary results....especially as the cup defeat would have lowered morale a little bit. I'd have stuck with it... a win vs Watford and you easily have recaptured a good run.

Pre Stoke you had still struggled in the tougher games ... away to spuds, home to city, home to Chelsea & away to arsenal....

Updates do funny things to our mentality ... in my first game post-update a keeper made a save and I was like "ut oh keepers are now overpowered" ...

yeah it was more of the way we were losing. we would just get smashed. we went from giving everyone a good game to being terrible.

i went with a wacky formation and high pressure etc for the braga game and won 4-0. went back to my old formation against watford and not a shot all game.

i will start a new game in the new year. i am sure its me, the old "oh no the updates ruined my season" used to make me laugh.  now i am one of those people :( lol

Thanks for your input westy.

5 minutes ago, ChelseaSince86 said:

Loving the new patch... however only issue I have found and its no biggy really, is on tactics screen; I can't drag a player from squad list to the subs list on the far right.   It doesn't work.

I've noticed too. Currently raising a bug report as I assume it's not a design choice 

When a patch kills your results, it can mean your tactic is exploiting a flaw in the ME which was patched. 

It could also just be a dodgy patch of form, they happen. I got pumped by Bayern in the Champions League away recently 4-0, and this really killed moral. We started to struggle against all kinds of crappy teams. Players made more mistakes, got frustrated, I had 2 red cards in three games. We then had an easy cup game which we win 7-0, and the form is back and we dominate PSV 3-0 in the next match. That is how form works, and managing it is tough. You have to know the personality of their squad so you can manage their moral a bit during those times. Be a little nicer than you would be when they lose. Be extra supportive when you get the win.

Hope you recover your season.

17 hours ago, Thengil said:

The non-fixing of the frankly completely unrealistic way that wingers and central midfielders defend in FM17 is unfortunately a dealbreaker for me. Sorry, like the game in almost all other aspects but this just does not feel like anything resembling real football to me.

I feel the exact same way my friend. Wont be touching the game until they hopefully fix this over the next couple patches. Game breaking to see the gaps due to poor winger positioning 

If someone tell me how to stop goals from crosses in this game I'll owe him a big one. I can't understand. I have 20+ shots per game. Minimum 4 CCC and other Half Chances and I get beat by crosses. Every team pump the ball in the wings, my wingers are in the middle of nowhere and the full backs can't stop anyone for their life. 

7 hours ago, Nic Madden said:

Yes gothenburg83, unfortunately all fixes in the Competition & Rule Groups need a new saved game to take full effect.

I hope that you continue to enjoy FM17 and your Aberdeen save is both fun and challenging.

Cheers,

Nic 

Thanks Nic, much appreciated............the Dons on FM is much like following them in real life, there's a fair bit of fun, but definitely a challenge at times :)

I don't know if it is only me, but I have a feeling that reputation and/or transfer system doesn't work so good.

I would think that rich club who can offer 100k per week in wages, who recently finished 6th in Premiership (first season here, still), who will play European competitions next year, who have among the best coaches in league, who upgrades his training and youth facilities whenever possible would at least beat competition when trying to sign some players. And my competition isn't Man U or such big teams. RC Lens stole my last target, and they finished 17th in French league, barely escaping relegation.

Yeah, I was small team, but I progressed, surely my reputation should be bigger than bottom Championship team. Most of the players won't even discuss terms with me, saying that I'm not strong enough or things like this. And those are the players whose contract is expiring in a month. How can I grew stronger if I can only sign bad players. And Brexit ran water away from my mill, so I can't have any use of my scouting network, but that's not the problem in general.

I really don't know why would Scottish player rather go to Lens who is going to be in a relegation battle in France, rather then to a European competition Premiership club.

Next time my player comes to me asking to leave because of lack of European football I will be really mad.

3 hours ago, Firehouse said:

I don't know if it is only me, but I have a feeling that reputation and/or transfer system doesn't work so good.

I would think that rich club who can offer 100k per week in wages, who recently finished 6th in Premiership (first season here, still), who will play European competitions next year, who have among the best coaches in league, who upgrades his training and youth facilities whenever possible would at least beat competition when trying to sign some players. And my competition isn't Man U or such big teams. RC Lens stole my last target, and they finished 17th in French league, barely escaping relegation.

Yeah, I was small team, but I progressed, surely my reputation should be bigger than bottom Championship team. Most of the players won't even discuss terms with me, saying that I'm not strong enough or things like this. And those are the players whose contract is expiring in a month. How can I grew stronger if I can only sign bad players. And Brexit ran water away from my mill, so I can't have any use of my scouting network, but that's not the problem in general.

I really don't know why would Scottish player rather go to Lens who is going to be in a relegation battle in France, rather then to a European competition Premiership club.

Next time my player comes to me asking to leave because of lack of European football I will be really mad.

If you're still in the first season, how can your reputation be a 'bottom Championship side'? And how can such a side be able to offer 100k a week in wages? What team are you?

Reputation certainly goes up with success, but its not massive and immediate. Finishing top 6 doesn't automatically make you one of the top six clubs in the league in reputation. And there are tons of reasons a player will choose another club over you, not down to reputation and wages.

I feel like playing FM with high reputation teams/players is just more of a chore than anything enjoyable.

To go a bit more in depth:

It feels like it is almost imperative to get an early goal, so you can sit back and enjoy an entirely unrealistic 5/6/7/8 goal win. Or if you don't score soon enough, just watch your players begin to ping shots in like it's 11 strangers who don't want to pass to each other.

The game is far more enjoyable and has a much more responsive feeling tactically when you have a mid-table reputation side, with an assortment of 130-140CA players than when you're pushing the upper extremes. It's far easier to obtain a league title or top 4 finish, or far easier to progress in the Europa League/Champions League. I don't know what to say though really, I just don't particularly enjoy that Glenn Whelan is a better choice than Casemiro if I want to have a better chance of having more success.  

7 hours ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

If you're still in the first season, how can your reputation be a 'bottom Championship side'? And how can such a side be able to offer 100k a week in wages? What team are you?

First season in Premiership, sixth season overall. I'm Stockport County.

6 hours ago, Bigpapa42 said:

Reputation certainly goes up with success, but its not massive and immediate. Finishing top 6 doesn't automatically make you one of the top six clubs in the league in reputation. And there are tons of reasons a player will choose another club over you, not down to reputation and wages.

I know that it doesn't, but it should make me more attractive than relegation battlers in Championship, or even in Ligue One (French first division). I know Stockport isn't exactly New York, but it's close to big cities, and isn't that small either. Tell me one reason why would player XY rather go to relegated Swansea who in six seasons never even qualified for European competitions for smaller salary instead of going to club who is certainly doing well and is just getting better, for bigger salary? Surely most players would rather sign for Everton, them being bigger and stable, then joining me, as they could think that I was having an one of season, and I will get relegated soon. But why would you rather go to already relegated team?

It's just my opinion. FM has advanced in regards of reputation in last years, no doubt. But to me there are still some illogical things that I don't understand.

Since the new patch has anyone had a decline in the interest of players (specifically ones that haven't been at the club along time). 

The example I give is Barnsley. I had a save in 17.1 and transferred listed 2 CBs (Jackson and Macdonald) they were both sold or loaned out for nominal fees! I restarted in 17.2 and transferred both players and offered them out for £0 and no interest! This was the same with 3 other players. Very frustrating when trying to reshape the squad! 

Anyone had an issue with this? 

9 hours ago, Davey Boy said:

Is it my imagination or does every throw-in look like a foul throw? Anyone notice this?

It's been like this for years. There's also a little glitch after the throw-in is taken where the ball flickers above their head and that's been there years too.

I've been an FM player for years now, and have found this version really frustrating in parts. I have seen some ridiculous transfers take place - for example, Marcus Rashford joined Arsenal on deadline day at the end of the summer transfer window at the start of the 2018/2019 season for £42m rising to £68m! Fine - I get there is a premium for British players etc but since then, he has played twice for Arsenal and I have just finished the January transfer window, with no injuries. Both times he came on as a sub. They then spent £34m on Lacazette who has started 6 games and come on as a sub 12 times.

Then we look at Raheem Sterling - who has played three times in the league off the bench for Man City this season. I am managing Everton and would like to buy Sterling but Man City will not sell him as they need British players for the registration rules. Patrick Roberts - has played 4 times as a sub and started two games. Leroy Sane is loan listed! 

Chelsea bought Raphael Guerreiro from Dortmund for £68m, Liverpool bought Dele Alli for £40m (how does that even make sense), Man City spent £80m on Breel Embolo, Man Utd spent £98m on Marco Verratti, Harry Kane was benched for a full season because Spurs bought Javier Hernandez from Leverkusen. 

To top it all off, PSG have bought Aubameyang for £57m rising to £71m, Diego Costa for £28.5m rising to £45m in the same transfer window and then went and bought De Bruyne for £96m, Renato Sanches for £51m rising to £75m! 

I get that the game is an attempt at realism but how much of the above would you ever see happening in real life? The game is broken in my opinion and they need to change things big time.

6 minutes ago, Krups100 said:

I've been an FM player for years now, and have found this version really frustrating in parts. I have seen some ridiculous transfers take place - for example, Marcus Rashford joined Arsenal on deadline day at the end of the summer transfer window at the start of the 2018/2019 season for £42m rising to £68m! Fine - I get there is a premium for British players etc but since then, he has played twice for Arsenal and I have just finished the January transfer window, with no injuries. Both times he came on as a sub. They then spent £34m on Lacazette who has started 6 games and come on as a sub 12 times.

Then we look at Raheem Sterling - who has played three times in the league off the bench for Man City this season. I am managing Everton and would like to buy Sterling but Man City will not sell him as they need British players for the registration rules. Patrick Roberts - has played 4 times as a sub and started two games. Leroy Sane is loan listed! 

Chelsea bought Raphael Guerreiro from Dortmund for £68m, Liverpool bought Dele Alli for £40m (how does that even make sense), Man City spent £80m on Breel Embolo, Man Utd spent £98m on Marco Verratti, Harry Kane was benched for a full season because Spurs bought Javier Hernandez from Leverkusen. 

To top it all off, PSG have bought Aubameyang for £57m rising to £71m, Diego Costa for £28.5m rising to £45m in the same transfer window and then went and bought De Bruyne for £96m, Renato Sanches for £51m rising to £75m! 

I get that the game is an attempt at realism but how much of the above would you ever see happening in real life? The game is broken in my opinion and they need to change things big time.

this was a major problem in FM16. clubs use to buy so many unnecessary players for huge amount of money and then don't play them at all..

I don't mind if this happens to a particular club or regarding a particular manager, but ALL big clubs throughout all leagues do it. the AI squad building I was hoping it to be improved before I purchase this game.

I'm playing the demo, here are a few thoughts.

Match Engine is much improved- bigger variety of goals and playing styles.

I'm getting much less in the way of annoyingly low transfer offers for players which I like.

Favourite little new feature- when you agree with a player that he can sold once we receive a reasonable bid you then agree a price with him. Was a bugbear in 16.

I don't see the point of the social feed- I don't think many people have strong opinions about me offering a 16 year old a professional contract.

Press conferences are still a boring annoyance.

I've been approached 4 times in three months by the manager of Watford asking why his loan player isn't getting the agreed game time. Each time we have the same conversation (he's not good enough) which the manager accepts. Why does he keep wanting to have the same chat.

Pre match tactical advice from backroom staff is still ridiculous- every single game they seem to want to rip up my successful tactics and play a formation totally unsuited to the squad.

Hi there,

after updating to 17.2 I noticed the following issue:

- if a player has min AP and max AP in its scout report, previously in 17.1.2 I would start offering the club a value slightly below the min AP and negotiation would start and it really ends up within the range of min-max AP (even if club put non-negotiable price at the end).  After updating, the asking price from club will start at a value far above the max AP, and it also ends up way more than max AP. Does anyone notice this too? Btw, when I make offer, I always combine fee up front + monthly installment (48 months), and this still would work in previous version. Now, it's not even working with 12-month-installment.

Anyone experience the same?

OK played enough to give feedback, match engine is more stable in general, with top teams winning more consistently with the odd upset, which it should always be like if you ask me, but one problem i got since the update is its freezing on social media page all the time, ive even had a few crashes as well while it happens, never had this problem before,

I had to come on and praise SI for a job well done this year. I didn't know the ME could be improved that much in just a year. Not saying it's perfect as a game of this scope is always going to have an issue somewhere. But I'm not sure this FM 17 has gotten enough credit for how much better it is than 16.

Can we expect the bug of wingers defending too wide to be fixed in coming patches for FM17? I won't be buying the game until it is fixed. 

I cannot understand that they did not catch this bug before the release, it took me 5 mins of playing the demo to realize something was awfully wrong. 

11 minutes ago, michelco said:

Can we expect the bug of wingers defending too wide to be fixed in coming patches for FM17? I won't be buying the game until it is fixed. 

I cannot understand that they did not catch this bug before the release, it took me 5 mins of playing the demo to realize something was awfully wrong. 

I'm not sure if the demo is with the latest update included. If you think there is a bug, please post it in the bugs forum and add some pkms that shows what you want to report.

6 minutes ago, KUBI said:

I'm not sure if the demo is with the latest update included. If you think there is a bug, please post it in the bugs forum and add some pkms that shows what you want to report.

The bug is well-known, reported, and ackowledged to be 'under review'. I'm wondering if it's in the pipe line to fix this for FM17 or not.

6 minutes ago, michelco said:

The bug is well-known, reported, and ackowledged to be 'under review'. I'm wondering if it's in the pipe line to fix this for FM17 or not.

Best chances to get an answer is to post in the thread about that issue.

3 minutes ago, KUBI said:

Best chances to get an answer is to post in the thread about that issue.

That thread have been closed. The word from SI when closing the thread was " This is an area of the game that we need to improve for future editions of the game and something that we have not addressed for this patch that we have just released" but it does not state if they will try and fix the issue for FM17 or if they have post poned it and fix it for FM18. 

Archived