Football Manager 2017 Official Feedback Thread

• SI Staff
1 hour ago, JR866Gunner said:

Hmm i have firefox but never run anything else at the same time. 

Did you turning caching off in the preferences to install logo/facepacks etc and forget to turn it back on again afterwards?

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3 comment on the game so far:

1- Too many free kicks on the edge of the box, 8 or 9 in 2 games!

2- Injuries are more frequent and the extent of them is ridiculous, I tried adjusting training,staff...etc but it doesn't look right.

3- I really miss getting tournament information in my inbox, and customizing my subscriptions to matches, transfers and other details of these tournaments. The follow /unfollow model is very basic and kills the immersion.

For example this screen is gone?

zn3ib6.png

What I would really like is someone from SI or a forum mod to clarify why is the opposition mentality / team shape and opposition players roles and duties unavailable, hide. Is it possible to have some explanation about this ? 

P.S. personaly I have this feeling that when FM is released in odd years is so much better when compared to even years (2013, 2015, 2017 against 2012, 2014, 2016). And this year, although needing some polishing, its really, really good. Go FM :thup:

30 minutes ago, qwerty22 said:

For example this screen is gone?

You can still do this when you click on manage in the social tab, select the league you follow and than edit it the same way as it was in  that screen.

I've said it before, i'll say it again. Defending and goalkeeping looks like crap. I'm in my 3rd season and i've posted about the frustrations of how bad the animations STILL (there's be no/little improvement in 3D since it's release) are. I'm a few games into my 3rd season now. Got promoted the first two and now find myself battling relegation and losing a lot of games. I have no problem with this. I expected relegation with the team i have and by the fact promotion last year was a massive over achievement. Due to more losses i obviously take more notice of the goals im conceding and when so many are shown with appalling animations it's incredibly difficult to watch (2 rage quits so far today as a result). Just like all the previous years, i'm now back watching the matches in 2D. Simply put, once again 3D isn't good enough. In my opinion it's holding the game back. It's a greats game but one of the most important parts of it, is ugly. Stop protecting people with poor/old computers and get some decent animations and make the match bareable to watch when you're not enjoying victory

3 hours ago, birkelse said:

league_zpsuklhnsqj.jpg

strange_zps5ugyzlxk.jpg

Anypne knows why I didnt win ?  

Antwerp were the best team in the division by miles and expected to win. Marc Grosjean's Union SC were the joint weakest team in the division and massively overachieved. More surprised the Lierse manager got third place for taking a strong team to fourth in the league tbh

5 hours ago, EdL said:

Did you turning caching off in the preferences to install logo/facepacks etc and forget to turn it back on again afterwards?

To update you all, I added the FM17 exe as an exception and after the first run it seems to have worked... if not I shall come back to update..

I feel injuries have been toned down way too much. Just look at this premier league (12 nov 2021).

This is not the exception either. I play in the Eredivisie myself and there's also 3 clubs with 0 injuries, with the most unlucky club at only 5 injuries. Same thing in Spain, Italy and Germany. From the big leagues I checked only France seems to be having a bit of an injury problem at the moment.

pl2021injuries.png

• SI Staff
4 hours ago, martplfc1 said:

A defender would never stand ahead of the last forward when a free kick is being taken, especially when he is onside :D 

Arsenal v Liverpool_ Pitch Full.png

Hey martplfc1,

Thanks for taking the time to post. That does look odd. Get an example PKM of that one posted up in here - https://community.sigames.com/forum/515-match-engine-issues/ - and the proper people will take a look.

Cheers,
Seb.

3 hours ago, Urg said:

I feel injuries have been toned down way too much. Just look at this premier league (12 nov 2021).

This is not the exception either. I play in the Eredivisie myself and there's also 3 clubs with 0 injuries, with the most unlucky club at only 5 injuries. Same thing in Spain, Italy and Germany. From the big leagues I checked only France seems to be having a bit of an injury problem at the moment.

pl2021injuries.png

Pretty much. Whilst this is ultra low and practically would never happen in football, it is still indicative of how the game handles injuries -- you'Re much more likely to get something like this than several actually crisis or the real-life average of at least 3-5 players out for each team at each point of the season. Whilst it's early on, I've yet to see a team with an actually fully on crisis (10-12+ out), going through the tiers on multiple saves the average in any tier seems to be 2-3 out simultaneously (seriously the EPL regularly has no more than 2-4 mid-season per team, with several clubs zero and 1). If there was something adjusted you can say "thanks" to everyone who reports anything above 7-8 would be a bug (or starting with Dortmund outright and their several long-term starting injuries , don't laugh, that's been reported too :D ). When in real football that is a regularly occurance in any competition at any given point of a season with multiple teams often. Whilst it is understandable that SI don't make the game for themselves, and injury crisis are frustrating when it hits, I too feel there is too much feedback taken on board from players who follow football very very casually given that this is to be a football sim. The target needn't be the perfect 100%, as a minority would likely prefer it that way, but this affects the overall experience way too much in terms of generally squad management, transfer policy, player development and several more. Unfortunately feedback threads, reviews centered around it and similar based on that blow this out of proportion, as there is typically a bandwagon thing going on. As crisis happen, somebody will report it inevitably given that there is thousands of players every year, and the next one boards the train, and suddenly it all piles up until the forums are flooded and Miles' Twitter account is about to implode. :-) Unfortunately there's never a counter movement of similar proportions, as the frustration inherently connected to injuries (own squad anyhow, heh), makes this a fairly vocal and loud bunch. There's nothing quite like outright anger truly.

Seen players already selling their back-ups as they start complaining about playing time, going into seasons with 20 players despite competing in Europe, as without rotating those back-ups into the team just for the heck of it, they're not getting that playing time.  Simulated this multiple times on full details too, so not based on the odd occurance where everyone seems to go "broken injuries" as soon as anything approaching an actually crisis hits. Interestingly, the lower down the tiers, the less injuries there often seem to be. That said, admittedly I don't even remember the last time on any prior version where I ever had more than 6, 7 players out at once, but then at least there's always one or two odd AI crisis going on, which is always pretty "useful" when they come up against you and have to field two youngsters as their entire strike force (sigh). Then again AI still seem to field players with condition ratings of 85% as starters in this one likewise occasionally so what do they expect... ;-) There seem to be community files already which try to increase this some (and likely those which try to do the reverse, at which point it's basically Fifa levels outright, which seems to be the yardstick of "realistic computer football" these days, sigh).

The interface has steadily decreased since 2012. I still play FM12 as the interface is a lot more 'professional' looking.

The whole interface is like a friggin' cartoon - it almost insults my intelligence. The way it jumps directly to the Social Feed (which I'm sure I can switch but can't find the setting) - but that whole social feed is like looking at a cartoon. It's not a good feature - I couldn't be arsed reading a fictional social feed... 

Anyway - the whole interface is way too large - just look back to FM 12 - it was perfect! Why you went this way is shocking bad decision.

This is what I'd consider to be a complete information overload 

Y1jiPv.jpg

All I'm doing is clicking on a player but it's a complete information overload.

For example - on this screen - I've to scroll down to the end for the Urgent items - surely they should be top?? And besides this - there's only 1 area to click to get the report - the square box - why isn't the whole line selectable? 

tCcqB2.jpg

This is another screen - the News - and I just don't know where to look on this screen - it's very random. 

COVUqz.jpg

I started to look through the training options and it's just a massive interface - there's no real design to it. I click on Team and presented with this

What am I to do here? It is very similar to Championship Manager training interface - anyone remember when you had to select what day they did weights, stamina, etc.? 

G5mHEC.jpg

I haven't bought this game up to FM12 - and it's FM 17 now - I've stuck around so long waiting and hoping and posting suggestions for improvements. But every year it gets worse and worse! 

Look back FM 12 - you had the interface right there! 

I'm playing the demo of Fm17 now and I'm not impressed at all. It's an eye sore. There's a calendar thingy that pops down over the screen every time the game progresses, but by the time I get to look at something on it it's gone from the screen - what's the point of it?

I'm very sad for this version and I'm afraid this is my last post as I will no longer be purchasing football manager. 

FM12 is perfect for me. And I can't see the versions getting any better. 

Thanks for the great game. I had a blast.

15 minutes ago, Smurf said:

The interface has steadily decreased since 2012. I still play FM12 as the interface is a lot more 'professional' looking.

The whole interface is like a friggin' cartoon - it almost insults my intelligence. The way it jumps directly to the Social Feed (which I'm sure I can switch but can't find the setting) - but that whole social feed is like looking at a cartoon. It's not a good feature - I couldn't be arsed reading a fictional social feed... 

Anyway - the whole interface is way too large - just look back to FM 12 - it was perfect! Why you went this way is shocking bad decision.

Y1jiPv.jpg

For example - on this screen - I've to scroll down to the end for the Urgent items - surely they should be top?? And besides this - there's only 1 area to click to get the report - the square box - why isn't the whole line selectable? 

tCcqB2.jpg

This is another screen - the News - and I just don't know where to look on this screen - it's very random. 

COVUqz.jpg

I started to look through the training options and it's just a massive interface - there's no real design to it. I click on Team and presented with this

What am I to do here? It is very similar to Championship Manager training interface - anyone remember when you had to select what day they did weights, stamina, etc.? 

G5mHEC.jpg

I haven't bought this game up to FM12 - and it's FM 17 now - I've stuck around so long waiting and hoping and posting suggestions for improvements. But every year it gets worse and worse! 

Look back FM 12 - you had the interface right there! 

I'm playing the demo of Fm17 now and I'm not impressed at all. It's an eye sore. There's a calendar thingy that pops down over the screen every time the game progresses, but by the time I get to look at something on it it's gone from the screen - what's the point of it?

I'm very sad for this version and I'm afraid this is my last post as I will no longer be purchasing football manager. 

FM12 is perfect for me. And I can't see the versions getting any better. 

Thanks for the great game. I had a blast.

Your loss. FM17 looks and plays like the best in the series, it only gets better each year. So if you keep with FM12, why buy FM13/14/15 and 16 also? Haven't you learnt your lesson?

18 minutes ago, Smurf said:

Y1jiPv.jpg

That screen is probably one of the best in FM and far better than previous versions.

On one screen you can see pretty much all the information you need about the player and you can also arrange it to suit yourself adding in the information you want to see.

If you don't like it thats your loss but to say FM12 was better is ridiculous.

8 hours ago, Smurf said:

tCcqB2.jpg

just click on the priority label and it sorts the the list so you can have urgent at top

8 hours ago, Smurf said:

Y1jiPv.jpg

you can change it to land on the attribute screen which is a lot less  less cluttered, in preferences - interface - landing page 

Can we have a Wage Budgets that take Non-Contract players into account. The wage bill counts bonuses but of course they will only be paid if the player is selected. In NI there are many Clubs who pay only Non-Contract wages and my Wages are currently over budget yet are not when my when the squads picked. How does the budget take two or more games per week into account as that will double the wage bill that week? similarly if you haven't a game you don't pay anything. Is it based on league games per season? I released two players on high ''appearance fee'' contracts but the bill stays the same.

14 hours ago, Cougar2010 said:

That screen is probably one of the best in FM and far better than previous versions.

On one screen you can see pretty much all the information you need about the player and you can also arrange it to suit yourself adding in the information you want to see.

If you don't like it thats your loss but to say FM12 was better is ridiculous.

The only real criticism I've got of that screen is that it doesn't show the individual foot strengths, which is actually an additional piece of data that could be added...

2 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

The only real criticism I've got of that screen is that it doesn't show the individual foot strengths, which is actually an additional piece of data

It gives you some data.

You get either, right, left, right only and left only which gives you five of the seven? possibilities.

The two "only" options means the weak foot is weak or very weak while the right/left options means the weak foot is either fairly strong or reasonable.

I know. It's just (i) half as much info as given on the "development tab" which shows whether the weak foot is fairly strong or reasonable and (ii) frankly a bit weird that it doesn't just give it on a 20 point scale like everything else, especially since footedness is about the easiest thing for a manager to know about their player (especially compared with things like "bravery" or "concentration" that could be semi-obscured).

Re: Injuries, depending how much this is weighted in, it is a little worrying that SI base their tweaks and soak tests on AI managers which semi-regularly don't rotate even if there is options and rather start players with match condition as low as lowly 80s values. No wonder I've never faced much of an issue on previous. Give your starting eleven an additional day free, edge over AI right there. [And it's not that AI would overall face massively regular issues, see above). :-)

tY0oyg2.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/lbpN8iI.jpg

17 minutes ago, Spedding said:

in the player interaction when they come asking for a move to another club one of the answers is you will sell him if they match this valution of him, but it doesn't show a valuation think there should  be a box that you enter a valuation. 

There is if you click that option.

When I've tried it it takes you to a player conversation where you can discuss a fair valuation.

2 minutes ago, Spedding said:

Didnt whenever i did it it just ended with player saying thats fair everytime

Hmm, had you set an asking price previously for that player?

Maybe it depends on the player.

Mine was a 4* player who was being followed by a team from the league above.  He was valued at £20k and I had set an asking price of £100k.  I said in the conversation that I would let him go for first £50k & then £20k but he said both were too high leaving unhappy.  I eventually sold him for £20k + add ons which could rise to about £40k in the future.

There's one thing that I don't like on FM, and it is being done several versions ago and on this too.. The way fixtures are arranged. I don´t know if is to make the game more challeging or there's countries where this happens, but for sure in Portugal teams don't play 4 games in a row away! This is not NHL or NBA for road trips :lol: And for sure is not realistic!

I’ve seen something strange in my scouting department:

I’m at Karslruhe in the german 2nd division (soon Bundesliga –yeah!) an I’m scouting the german first division and the german youth league, of course. I made no restriction for my scouts, so they can bring anybody in, no matter how old or how good. The weird thing is: I’m getting reports only from foreign players, there are no germans in the reports – although they are scouting in germany. Bug? Should I report it?

One thing I've found being at Rangers is that it's really difficult to keep my best players. Big teams are always sniffing around them and it causes them to kick up a fuss. Last year it was incredibly easy to keep them happy by just saying they wouldn't get first team football and they always agreed.

Good from a realism point of view, not good for our in game fans who must be swapping the names on the back of their shirts on a weekly basis!

I'm on my mobile at the moment, so I can't get any screenshots, but I've had a bug with my under-18s league fixtures.

At the start of every season, my board accept the invitation for the under-18s league but the fixtures are NEVER there. Nothing. I can create friendly matches and they work fine, but there's no sign of league matches.

Not a game-breaking issue, but one that should be fixed anyway.

Apologies if this has been asked/covered. Is it not possible to retain selected nations when you start a new game? I like to start multiple new games until I find certain clubs struggling and take over them mid season but doing this now mean I have to select every league I want again which is a real pain. So is there a way to keep the leagues from the last new game I started?

• SI Staff
21 hours ago, Svenc said:

Re: Injuries, depending how much this is weighted in, it is a little worrying that SI base their tweaks and soak tests on AI managers which semi-regularly don't rotate even if there is options and rather start players with match condition as low as lowly 80s values. No wonder I've never faced much of an issue on previous. Give your starting eleven an additional day free, edge over AI right there. [And it's not that AI would overall face massively regular issues, see above). :-)

tY0oyg2.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/lbpN8iI.jpg

Hey Svenc,

Thank you for the thought but this likely won't have as much of an impact as you think. Match and training injuries are separate, and in a sample size of 1000+ a few players starting matches at lower conditions than the human will not impact the overall result significantly. I do agree however that the AI should rotate more, if you have examples where the AI is obviously ignoring an opportunity/necessity to rotate then please do log them in the ME forum.

On a related note, I do believe a little too much emphasis can be placed by the human manager on condition, or high condition levels at least. The only player in your screenshot that I would say is in need of consideration is Walker at 83%, all the rest seem fine. As is often quoted in reality and most recently by Shearer on MOTD, no player is ever 100% once the season gets underway. For example, Jamie Vardy will have spent most of last season playing at well below 100%. likely significantly below, evidenced by the fact that he regularly had pain killing injections prior to matches and took one of the FA Cup weekends (once Leicester were eliminated) to undergo surgery on an ongoing issue.

Cheers,
Seb.

2 hours ago, FM17_Doge said:

Apologies if this has been asked/covered. Is it not possible to retain selected nations when you start a new game? I like to start multiple new games until I find certain clubs struggling and take over them mid season but doing this now mean I have to select every league I want again which is a real pain. So is there a way to keep the leagues from the last new game I started?

What I've done it set up several new save templates. I've done this by selecting different nations at the start for various different types of set up, them immediately save the game once it starts. That way, if you fancy, say, a save with just South American teams loaded, you can load up that template, and add in a new manager and off you go. Takes a bit of time so set everything up, but it's worth it if you're the type of person who enjoys different saves. 

On 11/12/2016 at 23:35, Smurf said:

COVUqz.jpg

I have to admit this one particular part Miles referenced to in the the big reveal video, I believe he mentioned seeing some injury news in here but not one part (in the video anyway) showed what he was talking about! 

Anyway imho this is by far the best version so far, visually and from a playing perspective too.

Re: Injuries.

I had one save (which I had to stop because of a bad bug) where I lost maybe one player to an injury of more than a month over the course of the year, at which point I was ready to say injuries were too infrequent.

In my current save, I've lost three players to injuries of four months or more and had several other long stretches where five or six first-teamers were out in the same period, at which point I was ready to say injuries were too frequent.

I think until you've played quite a few seasons, simple variance is going to give you an experience that isn't representative of average injury rates.

It's hard to overstate how ridiculous the current situation with wide midfielders is.

First, some examples from real life:

bank3.png

(from Arsenal vs Liverpool)

Naamloos3.png

From Belgium vs Estonia)

Though Arsenal and Estonia are very different sides and neither is particularly known for their defensive organisation, you can see they've both organised themselves in a two banks of four inside their own half. Both horizontally and vertically in straight lines, and with distance between the wide players and central players roughly equal to the distance between central players. (in the second example Estonia's midfield line had shifted a bit, but this goes to illustrate further how they worked towards ensuring the distances were maintained) Unless a player is stepping out to close down a player or to intercept the ball, or unless he's tracking an opponent you will see such an organisation with teams that field in a 4-4-2 or 4-4-1/4-2-3-1.

Now, this is what Ranieri's famously disciplined Leicester City looks like in FM2017:

fmbank1.png

The gaps between the wide and central midfielders are massive. You could try to argue that the left winger is marking an opponent, but the right winger is at double the distance from the central player as the fullback is, for absolutely no reason. And this is in no way an isolated case, because you continuously see it in every game that features a flat midfield four. You never see two banks of four or even an attempt towards it.

15 minutes ago, Farina said:

The gaps between the wide and central midfielders are massive. You could try to argue that the left winger is marking an opponent, but the right winger is at double the distance from the central player as the fullback is, for absolutely no reason. And this is in no way an isolated case, because you continuously see it in every game that features a flat midfield four. You never see two banks of four or even an attempt towards it.

Yeah, I love playing flat midfield fours. Play wider, turn on Exploit the Middle, go make a cup of coffee. But then all my formations have at least three men in the middle of the park, so.

8 hours ago, Mr. Moran said:

I’ve seen something strange in my scouting department:

I’m at Karslruhe in the german 2nd division (soon Bundesliga –yeah!) an I’m scouting the german first division and the german youth league, of course. I made no restriction for my scouts, so they can bring anybody in, no matter how old or how good. The weird thing is: I’m getting reports only from foreign players, there are no germans in the reports – although they are scouting in germany. Bug? Should I report it?

I have the same problem with german players. Tried  Köln and no german players based in Germany was found. But Podolski and other german players who is playing abroad was intrested. If I click unrealistic transfers all german players can be seen.

Same problem with non-german clubs like Manchester United. Sent a scout to Germany and all the players he reported was foreign players in the german clubs. 

Is the bug within the Austrian league fixed where teams suggest not having any coaches or assisstant managers ? Really want to play in my home country but its basically unplayable at the moment

my mate playing FM for 15+ yrs so seasoned FM'er, realised that Angel Gomes from United in 2018 is on 400k GBP a week and is down as hot prospect. realised as failing FFP

He swears he didn't make a manual error in giving that much.

He has no DOF, never holidays and handles every negotiation himself- nothing set to anyone

Any mods/SI staff aware of a potential crazy bug or was this a simple manual mistake?

Archived