Football Manager 2017 Official Feedback Thread

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, ChelseaSince86 said:

I didnt know the agents sent video highlights packages btw... only scout reports i thought?

I'm not sure either. I thought that was going to be the main point of the feature, clearly must just be scout reports then

Public reviews are a joke, have been for years, When games like MSG V, The Last of Us & Tomb Raider get people giving scores below 2 on Metacritic while others just give games a 10 to contra the low scores any credability in the public reveiw system is lost.

15 minutes ago, iMan said:

Some amount of negative reviews on steam.

One after another after another.

Don't take any notice. Most of them are from Chinese users who are downvoting the game because there's no Chinese-language option... yet. Take out the negative Chinese 'reviews', and I'd say that the general consensus is positive for FM17.

To be honest, though, I wouldn't pay much attention to user reviews for any video games, let alone FM.

9 minutes ago, CFuller said:

Don't take any notice. Most of them are from Chinese users who are downvoting the game because there's no Chinese-language option... yet. Take out the negative Chinese 'reviews', and I'd say that the general consensus is positive for FM17.

To be honest, though, I wouldn't pay much attention to user reviews for any video games, let alone FM.

I agree. With Steam reviews I look at the amount of time the reviewer have spent on the game. And unless they say there is a reason why it shows little time, I ignore that review.

44 minutes ago, Frederico EJ said:

Anyone else irrirated by the fact that when you scout someone that message asking if you want to include match highlights pops up and you are unable to select "do not show this again"?

Yes - I like to work my scouts hard, so it gets tedious okaying that message for every instruction

I wonder that is there anybody that has a problem with 3D ? Even though ı did everything in preferences. I have ongoing problem with graphichs quality 
Its first time since 2012

The free kick at lower league level are a bit of a concern for me. My team gives away a lot of fouls (which i expect with my tactics) but for both me and my opponent, i don't expect a goal. I expect the ball to simply be knocked a few yards over. I can't help but feel the free kick attribute is down to accuracy alone rather than a mix between accuracy, technique, pace, swerve and a few mental attributes that are in the game also. I really don't expect 5-10 free kicks a season going in like they've been taken by Beckham, Suarez, Messi or Ronaldo. I just expect there to be an element of danger about them, and for them to test keepers more, the odd one to be go close wide, the odd one to be well saved, the odd one to be unstoppable and the odd one to go in which could have been saved. This year is my first real crack at a lower league club with seriousness and along with goalkeepers appalling animations, the free kicks have been a stand out problem 

Not sure if I have a bug here, my DoF sells my young 20-year old striker, who has 4 stars for potential and is already flagged as a Key Player, despite the fact that I have not transfer-listed him nor made him available for loan.  It is right at the end of the August 2016 window.  My DoF only manages to get a paltry 600,000 euros for him, to boot.  In Staff Responsibilities, at the 'Transfer (Outgoing)' section, my DoF is set to 'Offers First Team players you've listed for transfer/loan to other clubs'.  He is not however set to any other role within 'Transfer (Outgoing)'

Any thoughts ?

1 hour ago, beldurax said:

... Just discovered this young striker's entry on the General Manager's Unwanted List, to my shock !  This must have been a research oversight ... removed him and it resolved previous issue

I don't think the database researchers can  put anyone on the unwanted list in your save, which suggests you did it yourself by accident . 

Or are you confusing unwanted list and transfer list (in English) 

What am I doing wrong, I'm setting my DOF (WALTER SABATINI) to try to sign my transfer target Jonathan Yah, bit he keeps coming back saying failed....after he bidded 0 pounds.

Yah is valued at 16 million and on 20k a week, I've set the dof to offer a max of 60mill for him and 60k a week.

Why is he offering 0????

Public reviews are mostly bad, even those actually based on playing experiencing and the actually game as you could basically write a parody on them. Player has consistently success, gifted game keeps hubby occupied = perfect game. Player doesn't have that consistency = scripted, broken ME. SI can take something out of both as if say an increasing amount of players would struggle, there may be reasons to be found in the game (documentation, unclear UI), too. However as a player I found both mostly completely useless, as they mostly are reflecting more on the player's ability to get to grips with the game, rather than the game itself. After all, the guy who enjoys his merry runs might do so because AI managers would be fielding Messi as centre back (and never noticing or caring about -- he's enjoying his success), whilst for the frustration rant kind of review it could be indicative of the opposite, say an actually improved AI that now makes that "1 shot 1 goal" scenario more likely to happen, which apparently has been sign of a broken game for so long when all it has always been is a bad player attacking as open as a barn's door. Without playing myself, I would never know.

That said there's a couple rare exceptions which actually assess new features, match engine, transfer markets, financial modules, everything. And sometimes it's a bit of a mix of both. For the most part, dear lord, just no, never. :D For what it's worth this looks real solid fun to me so far personally, but naturally the player values seem to sky-rocket with every release (even by English standards, I reckon). What's the thought behind it? Some of the German research guys argued they did follow that route as else from testing Bundesliga players would move for pennies. However the values for top level teams based in England seem a bit on the higher end themselves on oaccasion at least. :-) As for the financial parts, will take a look at whether the game roughly reflects reality here. On previous releases even without the new TV deals you had even EPL sides announcing huge amounts of pre-tax profits, which just isn'T the case in real football. You can  get reports on those in-game at the end of the season by suscribing to the financial news of any competition.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/may/25/premier-league-finances-club-by-club-breakdown-david-conn
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/may/25/premier-league-finances-club-by-club-breakdown-david-conn
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/apr/29/premier-league-finances-club-by-club

14 hours ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

That would suggest to me that shots on goal are perhaps too high in this year's engine. Not remotely game-breaking, but perhaps could be looked at for a future update. 

It's yer tactics. ;-)

rojCAtf.jpg

Well, and theirs too, for a change in narrative*.

Seriously though, on my actually regular save I noted too an added urgency to get a shot going, and I've been using the higher end of the mentalities only for direct football and overloads ever since. I see them mostly coming off Sanchez for my Arsenal side, who for me often cuts inside with the ball and then even when he's overlapped on the left and has options oft takes a dip regardless (doesn't have a PPM for this). I attribute it to his high flair values in parts, but also what was already to be found in older iterations. His cutting inside is a dribble, which is basically a forward run with the ball. Once that run is finished, depending on the position players could have found themselves to be into outright cul-de-sacs in previous iterations. I.e. fielding a lone forward as a creative forward. That's been a creative role anyway (flair boost), plus as he's encouraged to dribble, once he starts running, he would rarely find a passing option anymore when he did so as a lone fwd so often tended to take a dip. Curiously when I field somebody else than Sanchez whoever plays on the left doesn't take as many shots (likely due to a combination of PPMs and attributes). Insert possible knock-ons off reworked player decision making plus possibly improved marking, there you go.

* Can somebody add something about AI managers possibly still isolating attacking players? In this match this looked like an advanced forward outright and if I had the d-line actually dropping off rather than standing their ground, that would have looked hugely more pronounced, as Defoe always surging forward as far as he could from my viewing experience. Sunderland 5 shots, 0 on target. City away first eleven shots of theirs 1 on target.

83vh3KV.jpg

^I am struggling to get my strikers to score as well, especially playing with a lone striker. I think my no matter what role i set my striker, they seem to sit too deep during the attacking phase, especially when my wingers are in the final third, my striker is still running to the box which is worrying. 

With that said, I think the better defenders in the ME has made this to happen. Most of my goals comes from the wingers

34 minutes ago, aditya said:

^I am struggling to get my strikers to score as well, especially playing with a lone striker. I think my no matter what role i set my striker, they seem to sit too deep during the attacking phase, especially when my wingers are in the final third, my striker is still running to the box which is worrying. 

With that said, I think the better defenders in the ME has made this to happen. Most of my goals comes from the wingers

I think you've misunderstood my post (probably because of that first screenshot). :D I was actually worried about AI opponents and their strikers, not mine. Giroud scores about right on my regular save (from which that first screenshot is NOT from). :D If they are sitting to deep for you you might go with an advanced type or an attack duty anyways, but it's probably worth watching out whether they're getting too isolated then (and crowded out quickly or forced to take a shot from bad positions due to lack of passing support).

If that about the AI were true... I may survive of course. :-)

Everytime when I'm in the lead. Opponents fight back with the same technique. Long ball out wide, bypass the whole defence, cross, tap-in. I'm not arguing oppositions not fighting back, but why is it always the same pattern of goals.  I don't concede such goals when it's still a draw or they take the lead. Just only concede this type when I'm leading.

41 minutes ago, goblinshark said:

Everytime when I'm in the lead. Opponents fight back with the same technique. Long ball out wide, bypass the whole defence, cross, tap-in. I'm not arguing oppositions not fighting back, but why is it always the same pattern of goals.  I don't concede such goals when it's still a draw or they take the lead. Just only concede this type when I'm leading.

If you know that this is how the AI will play, what have you done to counteract this strategy?

8 minutes ago, goblinshark said:

Doesn't matter what I do. It's why do they only score like this when I'm in the lead

Because it's ai WHO plays matches dynamically and may go more attacking once they're behind. They may don't simply hit attack though, they may change the way they attack as can be seen in parts if you keep the formational widget open, which reveals what duty players are on for instance as the kits on that screen either sit back some (defend duty) or are push ahead some (attack duty). As it is game AI, which is somebody has to program how they may change, there is bound to be patterns for those changes though on occasion.

If you've actually spotted some, you may be already close to defending it some.

55 minutes ago, goblinshark said:

One thing that's really helped me is to have the opponents formation widget open throughout the game, so you can tell when the AI is trying to switch it up, and you can act accordingly. Doesn't always work of course, but it's really helped me understand the opposition mentality. (along with watching what's going on)

I agree, keeping the oppositions formation as a widget is really important, first on my list when playing first game of the season. Also, if you have a good assistant manager, remember to keep the opposition instruction updated throughout the match, that might as well help to counter the way they are attacking against you (Or as D_D said, see for yourself and react accordingly :)

Enjoying the game, as the ME is hardly changed from last years game I imported my tactics and they work well this year.

My one question is... when I start the game and click on the current game I'm playing, there doesn't seem to be a sign in option like previous years games, it takes me straight into the game I've selected, is this normal for the game this year?

15 hours ago, Frederico EJ said:

Anyone else irrirated by the fact that when you scout someone that message asking if you want to include match highlights pops up and you are unable to select "do not show this again"?

Yes, its a pain in the butt. Sometimes it seems like changes for changes sake happen with the game. 

Couldnt care less about a video, lets me scout a player then get the report. Thanks.

4 hours ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

One thing that's really helped me is to have the opponents formation widget open throughout the game, so you can tell when the AI is trying to switch it up, and you can act accordingly. Doesn't always work of course, but it's really helped me understand the opposition mentality. (along with watching what's going on)

Worth pointing out you can tell a lot about roles (or at least duties) by looking at the formation widget, too. I can tell which full backs or wingers are going to be a problem just by looking at their relative vertical position in their strata. Or which striker in a pairing will drop off and play the more creative role.

So many people say injuries are too often.But the quote is under real life (30%).In my opinion it should happens more injuries.Could it be that since the full release the injurie frequency is continued to fall?

I want a realistic game and not a game where injuries are barely available.

7 minutes ago, Altair said:

It is just me or regens look weird and very similar too?¿ I know there are mods but it will be and improve on this in future update?¿

Go to the bugs forum -- interface, there is a thread about it and the coders are asking for saved games in which this happens.

I'm actually seeing a large reduction in goals since the patch. Maybe too much?

Looking across the leagues, the top sides don't seem to be able to blow sides away very often. Especially noticeable in Spain with Barca and Real. 

May just be my save but there are a lack of thrashings in the top leagues. 

Anybody else constantly seeing players completely unmarked at the back post from corners/free kicks? Regardless of how many players I have back, I'm still seeing highlights of one opposition player standing at the back post in yards of space and it's starting to cost me quite a few goals.

Not sure whether to file a bug report so thought I'd see if anybody else has noticed similar?

• Administrators
7 minutes ago, King Costly said:

Anybody else constantly seeing players completely unmarked at the back post from corners/free kicks? Regardless of how many players I have back, I'm still seeing highlights of one opposition player standing at the back post in yards of space and it's starting to cost me quite a few goals.

Not sure whether to file a bug report so thought I'd see if anybody else has noticed similar?

May be worth raising on the match engine forum. You could also ask a defender to zonally mark the space at the backpost via the set piece instructions? 

I've noticed full backs make some horrendous decisions when it comes to throw ins late in the game. I might be leading 1-0, in control, keeping possession and seeing out the match and get a throw in high up the pitch. Despite possession instructions, more disciplined approach etc, my full backs have a habit of trying to throw the ball over a load of opposition players rather than taking the simple and safe throw option. Often this concedes possession while the full back is massively out of position and leads to counterattacks and quite often equalizers/winners. I know I can change the throw in takers but I don't think I should have to when the full backs should be aware of the position and not take the unnecessary risks.

13 minutes ago, King Costly said:

Yes.

I had four men on man mark, two on posts, one defending near post 6 yard area, and three outside the box.  I had to change one of the man markers last season to mark the 6 yard box (far post) as it cost me three goals in about five matches.

2 minutes ago, Neil Brock said:

May be worth raising on the match engine forum. You could also ask a defender to zonally mark the space at the backpost via the set piece instructions? 

I already have a guy set to do that from corners but you can't via free-kicks, can you? I'll set another player to man mark rather than just 'go back' to see if it changes anything but it has become a bit of a trend. I'll attach a couple of screenshots to show you.

437d49169c28c0990cbc3a35c75b0aa6.png

d3bd205c3db90f708d64a043fef66659.png

6 hours ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

I didn't know you could do this! It sounds incredibly useful :D Where is it?

I must say I was impressed that the game included the two new MLS teams for 2017, and I was caught completely by surprise (but impressed nonetheless) with the expansion draft for those teams.  Since MLS is my league of choice I appreciate the support for it in the game.

In the FA cup semi-final I had 4 substitutions? Presumably that's in the new rules. Delighted NUFC beat Chealsea 1-0 extra time(FA cup shock)!

NVM Found this:

FA Cup is set to feature the introduction of a fourth substitute for the quarter finals, semi-finals and Final. World football’s law-making-body IFAB is carrying out a global study into a proposal that would allow teams to make a fourth replacement during ...

• Administrators
12 minutes ago, booble said:

is there any way of me knowing if that steam has downloaded 64bit? my pc is 64bit

If your OS is 64-bit then that's what Steam will have downloaded.

20 hours ago, Frederico EJ said:

Holy bejesus mother of christ why was this put in?

please oh please add a 'dont show this (tedious) message again' option

Archived