Football Manager 2017 Official Feedback Thread

1 hour ago, Sussex Hammer said:

Has anyone else seen this problem?  Player takes penalty, ball strikes the woodwork and comes back out and everyone reacts bar the spot kick taker.  It's happened to me twice now and I thought it was just one of those things the first time it happened but on both occasions the spot kick taker just stands still even though he is in the perfect position to knock in the rebound.

Penalty taker isn't allowed to touch the ball again until it's touched by another player.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Sussex Hammer said:

Has anyone else seen this problem?  Player takes penalty, ball strikes the woodwork and comes back out and everyone reacts bar the spot kick taker.  It's happened to me twice now and I thought it was just one of those things the first time it happened but on both occasions the spot kick taker just stands still even though he is in the perfect position to knock in the rebound.

about the 1000th time this has been asked... the law of the game on any set play ... the set piece taker cannot touch the ball again until another player has. i.e. you cannot take a corner to yourself, or a throwin or a goal kick or a free kick... or a penalty (including via the woodwork).

1 hour ago, westy8chimp said:

about the 1000th time this has been asked... the law of the game on any set play ... the set piece taker cannot touch the ball again until another player has. i.e. you cannot take a corner to yourself, or a throwin or a goal kick or a free kick... or a penalty (including via the woodwork).

OMG I am so embarrassed!!  Sorry chaps shoot me I know that, why did I ask that, I used to play twice a week, I took the penalties, I was a coach, I was even a Referee!!!!!  You are right, I don't know why I asked that, sorry, brain fart, what a noob!!!!!    :seagull:

18 minutes ago, Sussex Hammer said:

OMG I am so embarrassed!!  Sorry chaps shoot me I know that, why did I ask that, I used to play twice a week, I took the penalties, I was a coach, I was even a Referee!!!!!  You are right, I don't know why I asked that, sorry, brain fart, what a noob!!!!!    :seagull:

:lol: not remembering the rules! You sound like you qualify to referee Arsenal matches

6 minutes ago, westy8chimp said:

:lol: not remembering the rules! You sound like you qualify to referee Arsenal matches

I will try to give Referees more leeway before I scream at a TV screen in future!!!  What a wally!  My only defence is that my entire attacking line didn't really move so it just looked really odd.  Actually that's no defence, you are right I'll make an application to Refereed Arsenal games!!

There are league where the transfer window ends in February (for example, the Romanian transfer window ends on February 19th), my guess is they wait until the transfer windows are closed before they release the udpate.

2 hours ago, Tal14 said:

One important tip/advice: release as soon as possible the January database update. It's less fun to start a new save on March/April than on February(then you still have an excitement about your team's new signings)

I bet they'll be glad when they read this.  Top tip.

It's not just the other windows closing later.  It's also testing all of the data to make sure it's not complete nonsense, plus probably cutting the actual fixes as late as possible, plus their testing.  It's not as simple as them turning around on 1st of February and going "brilliant, press the button and we can knock off for a few months"

22 minutes ago, forameuss said:

I bet they'll be glad when they read this.  Top tip.

It's not just the other windows closing later.  It's also testing all of the data to make sure it's not complete nonsense, plus probably cutting the actual fixes as late as possible, plus their testing.  It's not as simple as them turning around on 1st of February and going "brilliant, press the button and we can knock off for a few months"

don't know about "them" but you surely were glad :D

Ok I was embarrassed earlier having a serious brain fart with regard to rebounds on penalties but is anyone else experiencing poor conversion rates in penalties?  In one year Mark Noble has missed 5 out of 6 for me and it's not much better in shootouts with at least 3 being missed in a shootout.  I have pretty good penalty takers as well.  

I have encountered no issues with penalties in four seasons LLM in Wales and Northern Ireland. Lots scored; a few missed. There seems to be more awarded at the start of seasons - presumably something to with players not being match fit perhaps?

I haven't had any goals disallowed for offside. I watch key highlights only; could this mean I miss them? There haven't been any press questions about offsides. There were in FM16 and didn't there used to be a line sometimes to demonstrate the offside?

Is there any sort of known workaround for the scouting bug? Watch for any amount of matches doesn't work in the lower leagues as it never reveals full attributes or anywhere close to it and I don't want to instantly reveal everything by requesting a report. Taking players on trial works normally but that is not a solution when it comes to players under contract.

57 minutes ago, Äktsjon Männ said:

Is there any sort of known workaround for the scouting bug? Watch for any amount of matches doesn't work in the lower leagues as it never reveals full attributes or anywhere close to it and I don't want to instantly reveal everything by requesting a report. Taking players on trial works normally but that is not a solution when it comes to players under contract.

I've not had a problem with that tbh.

I normally scout for a length of time not number of matches.

There is currently a bug with some of the info disappearing from the scout report (Particularly wages & transfer fee) but this is fixed by requesting a single report rather than scouting for a period of time. 

2 minutes ago, Cougar2010 said:

There is currently a bug with some of the info disappearing from the scout report (Particularly wages & transfer fee) but this is fixed by requesting a single report rather than scouting for a period of time. 

So that is a known bug? Good. I only started playing FM17 at the start of the year but was wondering why key info (estimated cost etc) was missing when you've scouted a player to "full" knowledge. I look forward to it being fixed!

36 minutes ago, Cougar2010 said:

When I do that I get a full report within a day with all their attributes revealed but no asking price/wage demands. When I ask the scouts to watch a player for x amount of matches I get asking price/wage demands eventually but attributes aren't revealed at all.

xaxxxy.jpg

No team on Earth has a 90m x 85m pitch. While it is technically within FIFA rules (minimum length and maximum width) it is like playing a different sport. A pitch like this shouldn't be an option to choose, especially for the AI which is too stupid not to pick it.

9 hours ago, s1111 said:

xaxxxy.jpg

No team on Earth has a 90m x 85m pitch. While it is technically within FIFA rules (minimum length and maximum width) it is like playing a different sport. A pitch like this shouldn't be an option to choose, especially for the AI which is too stupid not to pick it.

Quite agree with this.. because no one plays football on square pitch!

SI should implement a logic that if a club is promoted to the highest division in the major leagues, the board will automatically expand the pitch size. no Serie A side, has a pitch shorter than 105m in length. and average with is about 68m. meaning average seria a pitch is 105m x 68m

Moronic presser behavior:

The AI manager of Bilbao points out Messi as my weakest player before the match. What kind of idiotic feature is this, by the way? When was the last time you ever hear a manager being asked this during a PC?

Messi's response:

messi.png

And then, after the game, not one (ZERO) question about this moron of an AI manager's prediction?????

• SI Staff
12 minutes ago, Marius_R said:

Marius%20Rutza_%20My%20Profile%20Profile

Why does it show I`m "under transfer bid" on my manager profile screen, when I haven`t been approached by any team for an interview since February last season? 

Were you previously approached by an international side? There is an issue we are aware of where the bid from an international side is not correctly cleared down from the users profile page when the user rejects the offer.

Cheers,

Ben

@Ben Kenney Yes, I was approached by Brazil and Argentina after the Copa America, but rejected both offers. Brazil still haven`t named a manager yet.

Edit: Seen your edit just now, thanks for the reply. Not that it bothers me, I just found it odd to appear to be under a transfer bid when I`ve rejected every interview I`ve been asked to attend.

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 13:00, Ji-Sung Park said:

Moronic presser behavior:

The AI manager of Bilbao points out Messi as my weakest player before the match. What kind of idiotic feature is this, by the way? When was the last time you ever hear a manager being asked this during a PC?

Messi's response:

messi.png

And then, after the game, not one (ZERO) question about this moron of an AI manager's prediction?????

i can't remember if there was any journalists who asked this question to a manager in the recent years... LOL.. it's a stupid question I agree to have it in the game.

but well, the whole press conference questions are dumb, repetitive and broken anyway...

5 hours ago, upthetoon said:

i can't remember if there was any journalists who asked this question to a manager in the recent years... LOL.. it's a stupid question I agree to have it in the game.

but well, the whole press conference questions are dumb, repetitive and broken anyway...

The press conferences are my least liked feature of FM. Actually I think it's completely annoying feature. I always send my Assistant Manager. He doesn't do much else anyway.

Just wondering if anyone else has this issue.  If not maybe it's my tactics....  When I am trying to get back in a game I find the AI rarely/if ever sits back deep trying to hold on to what they have like teams do IRL.  I notice this because when I am chasing a game I find bizarrely the amount of times my players are offside is quite high so that in turn means the oppositions defensive line is quite high, a somewhat interesting tactic to see out the game!!!  So basically do others see the opposition sit deep therefore allowing you to bombard them or do they just seem to keep pushing forward themselves?!

1 hour ago, Stephanie McMahon\'s Secre said:

Advertising staff jobs.

I needed 3 new U18s coaches, so put in an advert. As soon as I hired one it cancels the advert and I have to start again.

Any chance in future patches of advertising 3 vacancies so it doesn't cancel when I have found one?

This has been like that for a few versions now. It's extremely annoying,

46 minutes ago, nicolinão said:

Hello all,

when I go to create a new carreer, it only display 17.1.0, is there anywhere I can download the 17.2.1 because mine is not downloading automatically. Can someone please help me ?

You are getting confused between the updating core game, and the database.. the database should be 17.1.0 as you will see when you start a new save....

the game should have updated to 17.2.1.. as you will see on the main menu in the top left corner...

The database hasn't been updated yet.

It's so annoying that an edition of FM that has the most stable match engine ever before he final update is so bugged in other areas. 

In the space of an in-game week, I've had a player had a bid from another club automatically accepted due to a release clause when he doesn't have a release clause,  seen my team be notified that we finished the season with the lowest points total in our history, 6pts - even though we finished 3rd with 74 points, and have a player kick up a fuss at rejecting a transfer offer from a club even though there were 6 offers and I accepted the other five. 

It's the most buggy game I can remember at this point in the game's existence, which is a shame as like I said, the engine itself is really solid this year. 

Apart from the match engine ten years where goalkeepers could be sent off?

Let's not pretend the ME doesn't require lots of work (probably in future versions now) to allow it to represent real world football adequately. 

2 hours ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

It's so annoying that an edition of FM that has the most stable match engine ever before he final update is so bugged in other areas. 

In the space of an in-game week, I've had a player had a bid from another club automatically accepted due to a release clause when he doesn't have a release clause,  seen my team be notified that we finished the season with the lowest points total in our history, 6pts - even though we finished 3rd with 74 points, and have a player kick up a fuss at rejecting a transfer offer from a club even though there were 6 offers and I accepted the other five. 

It's the most buggy game I can remember at this point in the game's existence, which is a shame as like I said, the engine itself is really solid this year. 

All of which I don't think i've seen before, which suggests it would be well worth raising all the above points as bugs.. they are pretty major ones tbh.

• SI Staff
3 hours ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

It would certainly be worth raising these in the Bugs' forum along with the example saves, we can then get to work on looking into them. 
On your final example - perhaps he was unhappy as he wanted to join that club specifically?

• SI Staff
3 hours ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

I've had a player had a bid from another club automatically accepted due to a release clause when he doesn't have a release clause

This is something that I haven't seen reported previously. If you have a save game from before the offer is made for the player, then would you mind starting a thread in the transfer and contract bugs forum and we will take a further look into what could have caused the problem. 

Cheers,

Ben

1 hour ago, Ben Kenney said:

This is something that I haven't seen reported previously. If you have a save game from before the offer is made for the player, then would you mind starting a thread in the transfer and contract bugs forum and we will take a further look into what could have caused the problem. 

Cheers,

Ben

Unfortunately I don't. I simply offered the player a new contract myself, and he accepted this rather than move to the other club, so on this occasion it wasn't a disaster, but it's the first time I've seen this in the game. If it happens again, I'll try and remember to log it first. 

1 hour ago, Seb Wassell said:

It would certainly be worth raising these in the Bugs' forum along with the example saves, we can then get to work on looking into them. 
On your final example - perhaps he was unhappy as he wanted to join that club specifically?

There was no specific club he was interested in. That was a thought myself. I've actually seen this issue in other saves on previous FM's. Again, it's not really something that's causing that much grief as nine times out of ten, the player will move to one of the clubs I accepted the offer for anyway. 

There just seems to be a higher than usual number of little niggly bugs this year, nothing that's gamebreaking, but slightly odd nonetheless. 

Overall, I would like to say I enjoy the game, even if it gets harder by the year, I usually get to grips with it after a while and it becomes an enjoyable experience. However, one thing I`ve found particularly annoying in this game`s edition is a situation I`ll try to explain below, I`ve had it happen on a number of occasions on my game and does my head in.

Denmark%20v%20Romania_%20Pitch%20Full.pn

1. Denmark have a free-kick, Eriksen passes the ball to Dolberg, who is unmarked some 30 meters to goal. As you can see, all my players rush out to close him down.

Denmark%20v%20Romania_%20Pitch%20Full-2.

2. My players go and close down the player with the ball, but totally forget about Eriksen (the FK taker), who goes forward on the left flank  unmarked. As soon as my players get close to the man in possession, he sends the ball to the unmarked player (Eriksen). Now, because all my players besides my two DCs went to close down the man in possession, I find myself in trouble inside the area, with only 2 defenders against 4 opposition players (circled area). And it`s the camera angle that makes it look like it`s offside, the player is onside, as you can see below.

Denmark%20v%20Romania_%20Pitch%20Full-3.

3. Obviously, the two remaining DCs try and close down the man in possession (Eriksen), leaving 3 opposition players one-on-one with the keeper. A decent cross from the man in possession and it`s a simple tap in for Kjaer, who puts Denmark in the lead.

Now, I just want to clear two things out: I don`t want to report it as a bug, I personally think it`s clever set play from the opposition. Also, I`m not using offside trap or any specific man marking, just for the record. What annoys me is that there doesn`t seem to be a way to prevent this happening, it`s either the drill seen here (FK taker passes the ball in the centre > taker runs down the flank>gets the ball> crosses to unmarked man in the area>goal), either the player in possession advances a few meters unchallenged, then shoots at goal. For defending corners, there`s an option to have a player close down the corner, to prevent taking the corner short, there`s no such option for defending free kicks. Surely after conceding a few goals like this, any managers worth their money would pay more attention to this and have one player sitting closer to the man close to the FK taker.

And one more thing, whilst the advantage being implemented does improve the realism, I feel it`s not working as it should be, I`ve had cases where my players were fouled, referee would signal advantage as another of my players remains in possession, only for him to lose the ball, but the referee would just let play continue instead or reverting to the initial offence.

Other than that, I think the game is good and improving from year to year (been playing since Champ Manager 2001/2002), with it`s ups and downs obviously, but there`s no perfect game, is it? 

Thank you for reading and I`d like to hear your opinion on this. Cheers.

P.S. Sorry I couldn`t come up with a more MOTD-ish graphic analysis, I don`t dispose of their tools. :)

On 1/26/2017 at 22:51, Davy611 said:

I have encountered no issues with penalties in four seasons LLM in Wales and Northern Ireland. Lots scored; a few missed. There seems to be more awarded at the start of seasons - presumably something to with players not being match fit perhaps?

I haven't had any goals disallowed for offside. I watch key highlights only; could this mean I miss them? There haven't been any press questions about offsides. There were in FM16 and didn't there used to be a line sometimes to demonstrate the offside?

Until tonight. Strangely, it was a NI League Cup Final and a goal was disallowed for offside: it was lashed in following a melee in the box after a corner. It must have been tight. So, it can happen but I wonder if it was entirely co-incidental that it happened in the highest profile game I'd been involved in. This was my 205th game in management incidentally: one season in Wales and half way through fifth season in NI.

Something that has bugged me for a couple of versions of the game now is how hyperbolic the language is, especially in commentary and press conferences.

For instance I was managing Cambridge in a pre-season game vs Kings Lynn. My team scored a neat, if not amazing goal that came from a nice cross. The commentary said 'we'll be seeing that assist over and over for years!' This seems unlikely for a few obvious reasons.

Also whenever a good goal is scored for or against you the press give you the same 5 options- 

It was a special goal

I can't think of many better

I don't want to comment on individuals 

It had a hint of fortune

I can't remember the fifth one.

It is probably just me being picky but I get a bit tired of saying 20 odd times a season 'I can't think of many better.' I know it is boring but I'd just like an option for 'yeah it was a good goal.'

I have played 3-4 ppl network leagues for years now. My pros and cons:

pros

-Longshots finally are balanced. I really like that.

-i like scouting a lot. 

cons

- 4-2-3-1 is obviously the best formation to play. There is so many issues. When it plays like 2-1-7, spam central area with wide players, mc & amc. It's like horror show and you are disgusted when you play against cpu or human team.  

- full backs (attacking). If your full backs play under 7.44 or something avr, you're clueless. Attacking full backs are really overpowered. Even really averages dominate if you know what you're doing.

- GK short distribution. Not really bad, but i'm sure it can be better. 

- Longer through balls from central area are bad and almost non-existent. Biggest reason why possession tactics are struggling. (i know mc passing shortness/directness is important).

- Crosses, again. Basically the most important offensive concept. Those attacking full backs... 

- ML and MR positioning when defend. There are topics about this thing so no need to add anything. 4-1-4-1 was my favourite formation in FM16. Now it's so much worse because this issue. 

Scouting, team management, transfers - best manager i have played.

Matches, match engine, formations and roles - easily bottom 3 all-time. (i started playing this series '97 or '98).

edit. Please please please, add neutral AMLR role without hard coded dribbles more, risky passes and cut inside. Like attacking midfielder and central midfielder. I hope we don't need to wait another 5 years.

A little help here:

I have several subscriptions on - both social media and news - for several competitions. I have already activated the completed (?) / extensive (?)  option (I don't know the english word because I'm running FM in another language and I'm not with the game right now), but I'm still not receiving the match results screen from the competitions. Am I missing something ?

7 hours ago, pedrosantos said:

A little help here:

I have several subscriptions on - both social media and news - for several competitions. I have already activated the completed (?) / extensive (?)  option (I don't know the english word because I'm running FM in another language and I'm not with the game right now), but I'm still not receiving the match results screen from the competitions. Am I missing something ?

You probably have to set it up under Screen Flow, which you can find in the Preferences menu.
Set it to show the results on matchdays and you should be good to go.

Archived