Football Manager 2017 Official Feedback Thread

3 hours ago, bluearmy19 said:

I don't know if it's been pointed out before, but fullbacks/wingbacks pick up a ridiculous number of yellow cards. I'm playing with Chelsea and Cesar Azpilicueta is on 9 yellows, just one yellow away from a two match suspension. One can hardly see this in the EPL, let alone from world class players in the top teams. Plus there is no interaction for me to tell him to play more carefully, which seems like a reasonable request from the manager when the player is only one yellow away from missing two games... anyone else having this issue?

Not me, and I've not read any threads on it. Hate to say this, but it must be your tactics!

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some of the tweets on the social feed are starting to annoy me now I'm a few seasons in, seems like there's negative ones just for the sake of it, this one is just daft. Billy Sharp, leading scorer two seasons running during consecutive promotions, now in the EPL, is also banging them in so I gave him a one year extension to his contract (which was expiring on a free) whilst he is also our club captain, then you get tweets like this:

2poabn4.png

Absolute no brainer, to offer a one year deal to a player in the form of his career, who I would have lost on a free transfer and is out performing all other strikers at the club:

2nhotnr.png

I appreciate the social feed is new for FM17, but it certainly needs making smarter going forward.

My experience of injuries so far is that I don't think there are enough. I've done four seasons in Wales and Northern Ireland and only had one significant long term injury. I've had no injuries at all to goalkeepers. Maybe it's because training is part time so not very intense?

On 30/12/2016 at 13:21, bluearmy19 said:

I don't know if it's been pointed out before, but fullbacks/wingbacks pick up a ridiculous number of yellow cards. I'm playing with Chelsea and Cesar Azpilicueta is on 9 yellows, just one yellow away from a two match suspension. One can hardly see this in the EPL, let alone from world class players in the top teams. Plus there is no interaction for me to tell him to play more carefully, which seems like a reasonable request from the manager when the player is only one yellow away from missing two games... anyone else having this issue?

You can tell him to ease off tackles, that usually helps

A player has asked to return home, because he's homesick, on leave. I've accepted his request but he's not gone automatically. I've looked everywhere for the option to allow him leave, but can't see it anywhere, is this a bug?

Just now, stevemc said:

A player has asked to return home, because he's homesick, on leave. I've accepted his request but he's not gone automatically. I've looked everywhere for the option to allow him leave, but can't see it anywhere, is this a bug?

Squad screen > Extended Leave from the top line.

Just now, moyesout said:

not so much feedback just a qu..

if a player s labelled by the media as a wonderkid.. does that mean to get that label they have a minimum PA (obviously a higher than norm one)

It's only because they have a high CA for their age.

8 minutes ago, janesy20 said:

and by that I mean coming for crosses they shouldn't, missing it and conceding!

I'm actually kind of glad you experience that.
I haven't seen that at all yet, in my game. So i became a bit worried that it wasn't possible with this ME.
With that happening with you, as frustrating it must be for you, i'm actually glad. Then i know it is possible.
My GKs also go for a lot of crosses, which i think is a good thing, but they always manage to catch the ball. They haven't missed it once.
Which i do find a bit off. After 5-6 years, or so, at the same club with the same GK i would imagine that i would've experienced it at least a couple of times.

Is there an official announcement regarding the release of the game in Brasil ? A real one, not some vague answer.

It really isn't fun being ignored and left aside by the company that makes your favorite game, especially myself being an avid supporter buying every game since the FM 11.

If SI are not permitted to discuss the issue due to the legal implicatons of not holding an official license & as such not being able to sell the game in Brazil then how can they offer anything other than vague responses? I've not doen any research on the issue but maybe there is more informaton to available through enquiries to Brazilian clubs or the FA.

I cringe everytime when there are crosses into my box, all my penalties are conceded through crosses.

I cringe everytime when there are crosses into my box, 95% of my goals are through crosses.

I cringe everytiume when there are overhit crosses, the ball will land right on the line and my players will score O.G.

I cringe everytime when there are freekicks, ME have become so accurate that I'm conceding one every 2 games.

I cringe everytime when I score, opponents will immediately change to attacking and reply immediately. I wonder why they don't just attack from the start, their attacks all deadly lethal.

I cringe at long shots.

17 minutes ago, goblinshark said:

I cringe everytime when there are crosses into my box, all my penalties are conceded through crosses.

I cringe everytime when there are crosses into my box, 95% of my goals are through crosses.

I cringe everytiume when there are overhit crosses, the ball will land right on the line and my players will score O.G.

I cringe everytime when there are freekicks, ME have become so accurate that I'm conceding one every 2 games.

I cringe everytime when I score, opponents will immediately change to attacking and reply immediately. I wonder why they don't just attack from the start, their attacks all deadly lethal.

I cringe at long shots.

You seem to be cringing an awful lot at what you're, it doesn't seem to be helping you here. Perhaps take a look at what you are doing . 

A few things here, 

1) define how all your penalties are through crosses. Would be good to see some examples. 

2) you say 95% of goals are conceded via crosses, how many goals is that? 

3) free kicks aren't that accurate, they aren't currently ever so slightly lower than real life numbers 

4) have you looked at why it's apparently so easy for you to be cut apart if the opposition attack you

5) why do long shots make you cringe? What specifically do you not like about them?

I think less cringing and more specific examples would be far more useful here. 

On 30/12/2016 at 13:21, bluearmy19 said:

I'm seeing this. My 3 highest players for yellow cards are full backs.

I wish there was a little more fanfare surrounding in game accomplishments. I don't know what that would look like. I don't expect cut scenes or any of that stuff. I won the PL 3 years running which I was very proud of and something I hadn't done in FM. The board was only "pleased" and there was barely any mention of it. Idk maybe at least a few more inbox items or something to make it feel a bit more special?

Quick question. Do clubs take longer to appoint new managers than they used to?

In my current save, Bristol City sacked their manager on 4th February. I applied for the vacant position on the 9th, and publicly declared my interest on the 18th. It's now the 29th - I haven't even been interviewed, yet when I go to the Job Centre, I'm still shown as having applied for that job, and I'm considered to be the leading candidate.

Any reason why they're taking so long to get back to me regarding my application?

Social feed. I can't get match reports to display in the news. I've been to premier league and put it on "Extensive" and checked that Match Reports is ticked. I have the news column ticked but nothing gets displayed. The only way I can get them to display is to follow each team and get them from there. This is what I'm after:

Untitled-1_36.jpg

24 minutes ago, CFuller said:

Quick question. Do clubs take longer to appoint new managers than they used to?

In my current save, Bristol City sacked their manager on 4th February. I applied for the vacant position on the 9th, and publicly declared my interest on the 18th. It's now the 29th - I haven't even been interviewed, yet when I go to the Job Centre, I'm still shown as having applied for that job, and I'm considered to be the leading candidate.

Any reason why they're taking so long to get back to me regarding my application?

Not sure about longer but some do seem to take a while.

In the past I've just holiday'd when unemployed but last night I chose to manually continue picking & choosing what I applied for.  Some teams have been quicker while others have been taking a couple of weeks until interview then another 2-3 weeks after until I get a yes or no response.  Overall applying/interview/appointing a manager seems to be taking about a month gametime.

I did consider if it was linked to the time of the season - more time in pre-season so clubs take more time but I'm not sure.

whats the general consensus on this years game, i've had it since release but not managed to play it at all yet and i need to edit out brexit but not sure whats the best way to do it lol

i assume it's an improvement on fm16 (which i played quite a bit)

1 hour ago, Matt123 said:

whats the general consensus on this years game, i've had it since release but not managed to play it at all yet and i need to edit out brexit but not sure whats the best way to do it lol

i assume it's an improvement on fm16 (which i played quite a bit)

Why do you need a general consensus when there's a free demo to try?  Your own opinion will always trump anyone else's.  

On 1/2/2017 at 12:37, roykela said:

I'm actually kind of glad you experience that.
I haven't seen that at all yet, in my game. So i became a bit worried that it wasn't possible with this ME.
With that happening with you, as frustrating it must be for you, i'm actually glad. Then i know it is possible.
My GKs also go for a lot of crosses, which i think is a good thing, but they always manage to catch the ball. They haven't missed it once.
Which i do find a bit off. After 5-6 years, or so, at the same club with the same GK i would imagine that i would've experienced it at least a couple of times.

It's happened to me 4 times in the last two days of playing the game. It always seems to go against me too, I've never seen the AI keeper miss a cross. Not saying it's a conspiracy theory...I just don't know how to prevent it from happening!

EDIT: here's an example! 

9 hours ago, forameuss said:

Why do you need a general consensus when there's a free demo to try?  Your own opinion will always trump anyone else's.  

When the demo (and game) is "not available" in my country how am i supposed to try ?

6 hours ago, janesy20 said:

It's happened to me 4 times in the last two days of playing the game. It always seems to go against me too, I've never seen the AI keeper miss a cross. Not saying it's a conspiracy theory...I just don't know how to prevent it from happening!

EDIT: here's an example! 

That is some shocking goalkeeping :lol:
Haven't had that happen yet, as far as i've seen. Just hope it doesn't happen with my GK, in an important match, when i do see it happen.
Hopefully it's just the GK making some bad decisions and not something more serious. I'd say it's probably the goalie who's at fault, unless there is an issue that i'm unaware of.

I signed Berahino as rotation as Spurs. When signing I promised he would be entrusted with penalty taking. He is my first choice penalty taker but the game says "Feels time is running out for the manager to entrust him with the team's penalties"

And now at the end of the season:

Untitled-1_41.jpg

18 hours ago, forameuss said:

no reason, i've already paid for the full game on release i just haven't had time to play it and haven't read much of the forum either so just wanted a quick round up of anything that i've probably missed. Not like I won't play it because someone says fullbacks get too many assists or corners are broke etc

Something I've noticed after 5+ saves.  In the EPL, Chelsea and Liverpool always struggle, and in my current game, both Conte and Klopp have been sacked before the first season is over.  Conte's system just doesn't work in the game, or at least the AI isn't doing a very good job of implementing it.  And I dont understand why Liverpool always struggle at the start of the season, linger around midtable, and then Klopp gets the sack before Christmas.  Not that it doesn't amuse me, mind.  On the other hand, Watford with Mazarri's 532 always does well and finish top half, usually top 6, even I struggle sometimes when playing on their turf.

59 minutes ago, stevemc said:

Press conference feedback... this makes no sense at all.

Carlo Ancelotti said this:

2rmse3c.png

After this:

553ur8.jpg

:idiot:

Yeh looks a little out of place...

If you have a save game could you raise it in the bugs forum?

• SI Staff
14 hours ago, stevemc said:

Press conference feedback... this makes no sense at all.

Carlo Ancelotti said this:

2rmse3c.png

After this:

553ur8.jpg

:idiot:

To be fair 9 goals from 13 shots (12 on target), 1 CCC and 54% possession is an astonishing return on okay stats.

However do raise this in the bugs forum please. It would also be worth uploading the PKM in the ME section for the guys there to take a look at considering the extraordinary conversion rate.

Cheers,
Seb.

FOOTBALL MANAGER 2017 -- UPDATE 17.2.0 CHANGE LIST
===================================================

[...]
- Fixed French Ligue 1 prize money

[...]

Hello, 

How can I check which db version was used in my savegame ?

I still have the bug concerning French L1 Prize Money, despite my game being created on 16/12/2016, with the newest patch ...

I only got 4 M€ despite finishing 2nd.

Thanks

19 hours ago, Seb Wassell said:

To be fair 9 goals from 13 shots (12 on target), 1 CCC and 54% possession is an astonishing return on okay stats.

Which would be linked to the opposing scenario too: 15 shots on target, 1 goal at best [and everybody in the game world reacting to that rather simplistically,as in this case: they had 12 shots, couldn't have played THAT well]. Whilst individually there can be matches of that 15 SOT no goals kind where actually decent chances can be missed in numbers, slightly aided p'rhaps by that FM flags forward missing chances as frustrated/nervous (but then Arsenal missed 5 Opta CCCs, which are genuinelly one on ones in a single match last season), what's behind it mostly is a massive spammage of crap shots. Those are either from a) range or b) set pieces (which FM classes as Clear Cut on occasion too, despite multiple defenders easily blocking it). Or a mix of both of them. Certainly if that happens consistently, that's always been the root cause, in particular ever since the biggest set piece exploits have been dealt with. This has never changed on any recent release from my experience.

However, in the post match feedback you'd rather read about a side being "unlucky", as those stats focused on to fabricate them are  terribly simplistic. Follow that feedback, take it as gospel, including the numbers, and you are in for doubly frustration. In reality the aforementioned scenario should read like: Lots of shots, maybe, but massively struggling to break down and create much of an opening. And the feedback/questions moving alongside to it. Written another piece on that here. Granted, that shots quantity-wise can pile up so easily from set-pieces may be a long-term ME issue too (and may be related to defending of those pieces). Likewise, the above 9-0 may have been a freak occurance where every shot just went in. But it similarily could be the opposing scenario where every shot was in massively space, which can also be caused by bugs/exploits/AI tactics. That there was something remarkable going on seems likely, as that's 12 shots being on target of 13. Also: 1 clear cut chance despite 9 goals. FM clear cuts are bad, mkay?

Hi guys, I have a really stupid question that I need help on, and can't find the best avenue to do so after searching the forums.

Cutting to the chase, I was the manager of RBL for 3 years (won the Bundesliga once, ECC once), following which I applied for the Real Madrid job and got it. During my time at the Bernabeu I also won the LaLiga and the ECC, before resigning as I wanted to complete a 'pentagon challenge' by resigning after I win the league at the club. Surprisingly, I also won the Serie A with Sampdoria (they finished mid-table the previous season), and I had to resign because that's part of the challenge I set for myself, I honestly expected myself to last longer at the club.

Here's where the issue arises - fast forward to 2033 after resigning, I've never received a single job-interview. Take note that I did not tick the option to apply for any jobs. Do I have to absolutely select the options to apply for jobs at higher reputation clubs? Because I thought given my rep of winning titles, top clubs such as Arsenal, Chelsea or even Man Utd would offer an interview for me just like how I received such offers when I was managing a club (RBL/R Madrid).

Hope to get your help on this! I'm sorry if this is confusing, but I figured this would be the best place to post this since it's where all ya experienced players hang out.

I have to say, I've been playing FM for about 7 years now, and I continue to hate the attempts to model player psychology.  We thrash Juventus 3-0 to go top of the league.  Next match, we're up against relegation candidates Chievo.  I try to talk up Chievo's chances a bit, to prevent complacency.  The result?  Half the team is "nervous" or "very nervous" and we play like garbage and lose 1-0, giving the league right back to Juve.

I know this side of the game will probably never be removed, and I will still continue to enjoy the game regardless, but I don't think I'll ever find it anything but a confusing irritation.

42 minutes ago, jujigatame said:

I have to say, I've been playing FM for about 7 years now, and I continue to hate the attempts to model player psychology.  We thrash Juventus 3-0 to go top of the league.  Next match, we're up against relegation candidates Chievo.  I try to talk up Chievo's chances a bit, to prevent complacency.  The result?  Half the team is "nervous" or "very nervous" and we play like garbage and lose 1-0, giving the league right back to Juve.

I know this side of the game will probably never be removed, and I will still continue to enjoy the game regardless, but I don't think I'll ever find it anything but a confusing irritation.

Eh, it's not anywhere near that. Has never been. Whilst you should not disregard any module, there is multiple factors contributing in such matches. That's like the big myth that the game were all about team talks, etc. etc. But if you follow that route, you will remain in for that frustration. Unfortunately, as argued by me above, the match feedback is in parts woefully simplistic, and has always been. At it's worst you're getting feedback, both text and numbers in and post match you'd be all over an opponent, and are just wasteful and bang out the luck, when you're barely getting quality off. I've always been suspicious of "hyperbole" how top teams stuffed with top players would "play like garbage" all of a sudden, may be me though. It's the same as opponents are "playing like Barcelona", when mostly it's simply an AI going on the overload in a certain area of the pitch, with players making forward runs for added risk and being actually available for passes most of the time, which makes for a highlight where passes connect. When prior they had like 10 guys on defend duty and attacks consisting of three players at all given marching orders to advance, being dispossessed easily on each of them and bugger all showing up of it.

If you think that reaction was naff I'd report it as a bug... but this area of the game is nowhere near where you paint it to be. I wouldn't go that far, but there's a reason why there are guys who argue it to be but a thankful target when frustration is due / a drop of the points. It is contributing, but it's not like a guaranteed loss from the off. It's manageable, and the "body language" you talk about is shaped further in by the match events that transpire anyway. This sounds like a defense, but that's actually a big criticism of a major part of the game (see above). As such feedback not only can be ambiguous, but outright misleading, a red arrow in the talks, a guy having a red marking next to his indicating low morale and the body language feedback reading "as nervous as the boy on his first date" seems so wonderfully clear and logical, so whatever transpires thereafter seems such a wonderful easy connection to make. With all that said, there are engine quirks in 2017 that individually can make for curious matches by itself too, unfortunately. They seem under review and they're related to ME inherent defensive positioning of players.

No, you're absolutely right, it's not a guarantee of a loss when you mishandle team talks and press conferences.  But it's a part of the game I've never enjoyed and that I think does little to add to the realism.  It's impossible to accurately model something that isn't well understood.  I feel similarly about home advantage.

8 hours ago, jujigatame said:

You have the right idea but the problem is you don't understand your players.

Players are different and react differently just like RL, you should know your squad, know your players, know how they react to different things, understand each individual personality.

By attempting to prevent complacency you increased the pressure on your team and clearly several of your squad have trouble handling that level of pressure.

I've always felt it's too easy to go on losing runs, one bad defeat can destroy the morale to the point you never recover. Had been on an eight game winning streak, played the top team, went 3-0 down and lost two players (injury and red card), and my nine men ended up losing 5-1. 

No matter what I done I couldn't get the morale back up from being negative and we lost the next eight, including a game against the bottom of the league side, leading to my sacking. 

I understand I'll have played a part with the tactics, but in those eight losing games we were dominating, but my strikers were fluffing everything and my defenders were making goal costing mistakes in most games, the same players who two weeks earlier were smashing sides above me 5-0.

On 1/3/2017 at 11:23, themadsheep2001 said:

You seem to be cringing an awful lot at what you're, it doesn't seem to be helping you here. Perhaps take a look at what you are doing . 

A few things here, 

1) define how all your penalties are through crosses. Would be good to see some examples. 

2) you say 95% of goals are conceded via crosses, how many goals is that? 

3) free kicks aren't that accurate, they aren't currently ever so slightly lower than real life numbers 

4) have you looked at why it's apparently so easy for you to be cut apart if the opposition attack you

5) why do long shots make you cringe? What specifically do you not like about them?

I think less cringing and more specific examples would be far more useful here. 

Answering 4) When I score in the 90th minute to take a 1 goal lead- what would be the logical change? Defend, contain, control- doesn't matter, they don't listen. Last game changed to very deep defensive line and don't close down. Passing to short and low tempo. 93rd minute My winger has it in the corner just needs to keep position or pass it backwards. Instead he crosses into the middle where there is 1 attacker and 5 defenders. One headed clearance and a long ball over the top (because of course my defenders are practically on the halfway line despite all above and one defender being set to cover) and it is 3-3.

Archived