FM17: Arsenal

llama3

2 hours ago, disaccharide said:

Quick question here: How do you guys manage the youths? Like U23 and U18. I release a lot of them. Those whose PA star is less than 2 1/2, I let their contract run out since I don't know what to do with them. And literally 3/4 of those who are still with me, are on loan. I really have no idea what to do with them. 

I tend to do the same, man. I always give some of the well known youngsters games in the League Cup and some FA Cup games against lower league sides. Now in my 3rd season and Reiss Nelson is in my first team squad as a rotation player with Ox, Iwobi, Thomas Lemar & Coutinho. 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I'm in my second season,

Won the League quite comfortably in the end, and managed to win the Champions League with two heroic performances against Barcelona winning 6-4 on aggregate then beating Bayern 2-0 in the final using a 442 (never used it other than to counter them)

Purchased Lacazette first season and he scored 34 goals with 25 in the league for 30m, only selling Debuchy.

Second season only bought a wonderland from Dynamo, Also have Mkhitaryan coming in january for 16m (hasn't got on well at united)

Other than that, really struggled with transfers as the fees are absolutely huge!

eg Liverpool rebuying Balotelli for 44m (strange) and selling Firmino 45m. Hazard 66m to real, 60 million for Varane, 60 million Aubamayang and players like Florenzi 40m.

Has anyone else found transfer fees being ridiculous? i mean it may not be bad thing overall but makes trying to find good buys quite hard!

8 hours ago, WillyBroadband said:

I tend to do the same, man. I always give some of the well known youngsters games in the League Cup and some FA Cup games against lower league sides. Now in my 3rd season and Reiss Nelson is in my first team squad as a rotation player with Ox, Iwobi, Thomas Lemar & Coutinho. 

Thanks, mate. So, now I don't have to be worried about the youths.

I assign my scouts to search central/eastern europe, uk & ireland, and south america for some nice regens with 3 or more PA stars, but I'm getting annoyed by the 'black star' rating. 

Also I'm getting slowly bored because I use 4-2-3-1 wide for 2 years now, same build-up play, same penetration. It does work though to some certain extent because it helps me lift the trophies, but when you see the same pattern of your team on the pitch over and over again, it just won't do it. Gonna try the likes of 4-1-2-3 DM wide, or 4-4-1-1, or 4-1-4-1 DM, but I don't have any idea though.

4 hours ago, disaccharide said:

Thanks, mate. So, now I don't have to be worried about the youths.

I assign my scouts to search central/eastern europe, uk & ireland, and south america for some nice regens with 3 or more PA stars, but I'm getting annoyed by the 'black star' rating. 

Also I'm getting slowly bored because I use 4-2-3-1 wide for 2 years now, same build-up play, same penetration. It does work though to some certain extent because it helps me lift the trophies, but when you see the same pattern of your team on the pitch over and over again, it just won't do it. Gonna try the likes of 4-1-2-3 DM wide, or 4-4-1-1, or 4-1-4-1 DM, but I don't have any idea though.

Re tactics, I know what you mean. I tend to change mine every season to freshen things up a bit. In 3rd season now and still playing the same formation as 2nd season but different roles and instructions etc. 

12 hours ago, olieogden said:

So I'm in my second season,

Won the League quite comfortably in the end, and managed to win the Champions League with two heroic performances against Barcelona winning 6-4 on aggregate then beating Bayern 2-0 in the final using a 442 (never used it other than to counter them)

Purchased Lacazette first season and he scored 34 goals with 25 in the league for 30m, only selling Debuchy.

Second season only bought a wonderland from Dynamo, Also have Mkhitaryan coming in january for 16m (hasn't got on well at united)

Other than that, really struggled with transfers as the fees are absolutely huge!

eg Liverpool rebuying Balotelli for 44m (strange) and selling Firmino 45m. Hazard 66m to real, 60 million for Varane, 60 million Aubamayang and players like Florenzi 40m.

Has anyone else found transfer fees being ridiculous? i mean it may not be bad thing overall but makes trying to find good buys quite hard!

Yeah man, I know what you mean, but I guess it's a really good reflection of real life these days. 

I signed Coutinho from Liverpool for £42M which is ridiculous, especially as he's been awful so far, haha! 

I've seen funny transfers in my save too IE Benteke going back to Liverpool for about £35M after one woeful season at Palace. Also, I've had Man City bidding over £30M for Jeff Reine-Adelaide?! Crazy. 

I perhaps should have listened to Ozil's demands about strengthening my attack. Dybala out for 8 weeks due to a broken toe (so probably won't be match fit for 10 weeks).

I either change my set up and play Sanchez as a F9, or give Berahino, Çalhanoğlu & Bonazzoli chances to shine...

14 hours ago, WillyBroadband said:

I had the same thing, dude, then at the end of the season all was fine. Bit of an odd one. 

me too, i'm playing in my second season and i haven't even bought any players yet, but most of my squad have signed new contracts, and sanchez, bellerin and ozil have had massive pay rises. Makes me think that i should have staggered the renewals of all of their contracts so i would see an incremental rise in wages as oppose to a big increase right away.  

I've now had to sell players like schznney, campbell, wilshere, and a raft of other less well know players. 

First season was ok, won the league and the league cup, dissapointed to lose in the 1st round of FA cup and only make the quarters of the CL. I ended up going out to A.Madrid, 3-2 on agg, drawing the 1st leg at home 1-1- and losing 2-1 away.

I must say, i do tend to struggle against teams that play 442. Think i need to find a tactic to counter it, i tend to play a 4231. any suggestions would be welcome? 

17 hours ago, WillyBroadband said:

I had the same thing, dude, then at the end of the season all was fine. Bit of an odd one. 

In that case, once I've flogged Walcott (Atletico have bid 25m for him and I didn't really use him last season) I'll try to sign a top striker. Giroud was amazing for me last year but I'll have around 100m available!

1 minute ago, Sean3h said:

In that case, once I've flogged Walcott (Atletico have bid 25m for him and I didn't really use him last season) I'll try to sign a top striker. Giroud was amazing for me last year but I'll have around 100m available!

Dybala...every day of the week. He was, and still is, excellent for me.

11 minutes ago, gholliday87 said:

Dybala...every day of the week. He was, and still is, excellent for me.

He's already gone to Man City unfortunately. I've also missed out on Griezmann (who I'd have loved) as he joined PSG before I had the funds available.

I was going to go for Higuain but my board have decided that I'm not allowed to increase my wage budget, despite having over 70m in transfer budget that I'd be happy to shift into it.

Oh well, will be interesting to see how this season goes with a weakened squad!

38 minutes ago, Sean3h said:

Beginning of 2nd season Alvaro Morata became transfer listed for about £19M on my save. Absolute bargain, man! 

Guy, guess what, im my 3rd season Giroud is reborn!!!

2nd season came Dybala. Dude just scored for fun, and Giroud was automatically benched. So benched and desperate that at the end of the season he asked to leave to first team football. He scored total of 0 goal in the league in 4 (6) apps. (And so benched that he missed 2018 World Cup, which France won!!) But then things turned, he said he didn't want to go anymore, so I let him stay.

Now he's reborn in the 3rd season and I'm in January now, he nets 18 times in 19 (4) apps. Due to the fact that 1) I was so bored that I downloaded tactic from FuSStigate, and 2) Dybala was injured 3 times between mid July and late November. 

So, for now, I'm happy. Dybala is btw turned on by Real Madrid. If he really goes there, I might ask Dolberg or our Donyell Malen for the service. 

3 hours ago, gholliday87 said:

Oh that's lovely...got yourself a steal there!

Yeah man, I like him. He does often go missing in games -hovers around 6.4- but then has a knack of scoring important goals. 

As you can see he has had a cracking start to my 3rd season. 

Screen Shot 2016-11-24 at 20.00.29.png

11 hours ago, WillyBroadband said:

Sheesh, thats a tough one.. how much are they offering? He is valued at £35M for me. 

They haven't put a bid in yet, but he's only 2.5* potential on my game, whilst he's been decent, I've managed to sign and have some youth intake of players in his positions who are 3.5* or more.

He's worth 19m for me

13 hours ago, WillyBroadband said:

I did too! How are you finding it? I've played 2 games and scored 10 goals.

Yielded pretty well results for me too. I don't notice much on how many goals they score, but rather how it works. But yeah, Fussigate makes Giroud reborn!! lol. 

I read Cleon and Rashidi and as a result I'm not a fan of massive use of TIs and PIs, but Fussigate literally changes my mind. Haha. 

Now I'm switching back to my 4-2-3-1 wide as I'm more comfortable with. 

PS: Dybala update. He's got injured again!!! During the match in the last week of January. He'll be out for 3 or 4 months and the result is Real lost interest in him, lol. The player liaison said he's fine and happy to stay with us now. And Giroud is homesick, just like Kos last season. So my goal machine is now Welbz. 

13 hours ago, WillyBroadband said:

I can't believe I forgot to share this result from my 2nd season! Best win I've ever had (& probably ever will) against S*urs. 

Screen Shot 2016-11-24 at 20.08.14.png

How!? how!? The most frustrating part of my game is that I can't beat them. Against other clubs I did manage just fine, but not with them!! smh. 

9 minutes ago, disaccharide said:

How!? how!? The most frustrating part of my game is that I can't beat them. Against other clubs I did manage just fine, but not with them!! smh. 

I really don't know, dude. I think maybe press conferences & team talks matter even more for games like this. My record in bigger games (apart from bogey team Barca like IRL) is pretty decent. 

1 hour ago, gholliday87 said:

They haven't put a bid in yet, but he's only 2.5* potential on my game, whilst he's been decent, I've managed to sign and have some youth intake of players in his positions who are 3.5* or more.

He's worth 19m for me

He's only 3* for me. I would keep hold of him, personally, unless it's a silly offer. I really like his stats this year. 

6 minutes ago, WillyBroadband said:

I really don't know, dude. I think maybe press conferences & team talks matter even more for games like this. My record in bigger games (apart from bogey team Barca like IRL) is pretty decent. 

Anyway no matter what they do against me, the most important thing is that they are still in our shadow in my game, lol. 

Just now, Liamgannon said:

Anyone keep wilshere? I decided to sell him as he's very injury prone, whilst he could make a good replacement for cazorla i'd prefer xhaka to play there 

Sold him as soon as he got back from Bournemouth. For only £9.5M to Sevilla - just checked to see how he is doing there, staying relatively injury free but has been below average, hasn't learnt Spanish and isn't playing for England. 

I sold Xhaka, as well. IRL I like what I've seen (I follow Bundesliga closely, too) but in game he was never that good for me and other squad members didn't seem to like him either. Sold to Milan for £16M. 

Just wanted to see what tactics people use, my main tactic is a 4-2-3-1 wide but i've noticed  that i struggle against 4-4-2. 

So with that in mind, i've created a 4-4-1-1 and also a 4-1-2-2-1 to combat it.

im order to win the CL i recognise i need to change my tactics up so will look to play the 4-4-1-1 in tough away games. No more leaving things to chance and hoping for the best 

17 hours ago, WillyBroadband said:

I can't believe I forgot to share this result from my 2nd season! Best win I've ever had (& probably ever will) against S*urs. 

Screen Shot 2016-11-24 at 20.08.14.png

I'm probably missing something obvious here but how have you played them in a home Premier League match at Wembley stadium?

Anyway decided to start with them and won the league in the first season (no signings), Giroud scored 44 goals in 44 starts, 37 in the Premier League. In pre season now and have so far signed Conner Wickham and Jan Oblak, with just Lucas and Mertasacker leaving so far but will be a couple more out goings once all the loans return from the first season.

29 minutes ago, SortitoutsiVP said:

I'm probably missing something obvious here but how have you played them in a home Premier League match at Wembley stadium?

I had The Emirates expanded to about 74,000 (I amended the editor to allow it to be expanded). I do this every year with Arsenal as I'd like to think IRL it could be expanded one day.

3 minutes ago, WillyBroadband said:

I had The Emirates expanded to about 74,000 (I amended the editor to allow it to be expanded). I do this every year with Arsenal as I'd like to think IRL it could be expanded one day.

Ah fair enough, has anyone actually managed to get the ground expanded or even a new one built?

5 hours ago, yorkie87 said:

Andre silva got a 52mil buy out clause on my game now. Not sure can get him for any less. Worth it?

I got him for 18 after unsettling him, 1st full season he broke all of arsenals scoring records!

5 hours ago, Liamgannon said:

Anyone keep wilshere? I decided to sell him as he's very injury prone, whilst he could make a good replacement for cazorla i'd prefer xhaka to play there 

I kept him, wants a new contract as a rotation player on 70k per week and always plays well for me.

Got to hate PSG targeting your players, turning Bellerin & Ozils head as they want the move to get paid more, despite being made 125k & 205k, playing for a team who has just won the champions league!

Hopefully can fight them off without annoying the squad too much

6 hours ago, Liamgannon said:

I offloaded him in summer window at the start of 3rd season. I actually wanted him to be rotated with Ramsey and Xhaka as I play them as my BBM. And I had no luck with him as he continues his injury saga throughout the season. He played for me in total of 1 (2) apps in Prem and 2 apps in CL. Watford came get him for £20m, and he still continues his injury fashion there.

7 hours ago, Liamgannon said:

Wilshere is performing really well for me so far. Ozil was out for the first couple of months of my season, and I opted to play Jack as my AMC. In 10(3) games in total, he's got 5 goals and 2 assists, averaging 7.32. I'm not particularly happy about the low amount of assists, but in honesty Mesut isn't giving me many assists from AMC either. In comparison though, Mesut has now played 9(1) games and has 3 goals, 1 assist and an average rating of 6.95.

1 hour ago, disaccharide said:

Shoutout to Malen who caught my eyes in pre-season in my previous save. He might have low rating, but might give him some pitch time in EFL next season.

Yeah man, I like him too. Also, Vlad Dragomir has played well when given the chance. The Jeff hasn't been very good so far, so may loan him out again. 

Archived