FM17: Arsenal

llama3

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just started an Arsenal youth project game for my last save on this years FM. Am using pr0's update from June 16th.

I won't buy any players and can't renew any contracts unless the player is homegrown at the club. Revolted the coaching staff, although there isn't much need, but I wanted the top top coaches. Hopefully in about 4 years I can field a starting XI consisting of:

Szczesny - Bellerin, Bielik, Sheaf, Moore - Dasilva/Coq, Ramsey/Wilshere - Iwobi, Dragomir, Jeff/Ox - Nketiah.

Nice project. I hope you can fend of suiters for Coq, Ramsey, Ox and Bellerin. 

Reiss will definitely be in your starting IX if you play with wingers. 

Look at getting Josh Tymon so he can become HGC. 

Write about this adventure in Career Updates. People will be interested to see how you do. 

4 hours ago, Vilmar said:

Nice project. I hope you can fend of suiters for Coq, Ramsey, Ox and Bellerin. 

Reiss will definitely be in your starting IX if you play with wingers. 

Look at getting Josh Tymon so he can become HGC. 

Write about this adventure in Career Updates. People will be interested to see how you do. 

Totally forgot Reiss, it was supposed to be Iwobi/Jeff for the left flank and Ox/Reiss for the right one.

I think it would get too easy if I signed players 18 and younger and made them HGC, so I will refrain from buying players at all. That makes it a challenge for the left back position for instance, as Gibbs is the only HGC player that is of PL quality. Right now I am contemplating if I should try to mould Tafari Moore or Marc Bola into solid backups while I wait for a decent DL from the youth intake. Leaning towards Moore as he is more complete attack wise. Other problem positions are DC (Sheaf, Bielik, Pleguezelo, Bola) and ST (Nketiah, Malen). Other than those, we are good at least for strong starting XI players.

Might make a thread in Career Updates section if I get stuck in this save, don't want to create one if I quit before Christmas.

I bought dybala for my game and he is like a cheat sheet. 

Anyone with good strikers close to dybala's class?

i am currently looking at rashford for $58m but he seems like a Theo walcott (which I sold)

i had a deal for $66 m agreeed for grizemann and contract agreed too, but he broke his leg for 4 months , so he couldn't pass the medical. It is super super frustrating.

Anybody had luck with Kaylen Hinds this edition? Deemed him not good enough to nurture with class tutoring and game time, but the boy has been playing magnificently with the U-23 and is taking big leaps toward the first team.

Looks like this half way through the first season:

59653a5c69b9c_Hinds15.thumb.png.73d99865fdc619a829fcf46ee2a074af.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/11/2017 at 07:35, Achieve said:

Anyone with good strikers close to dybala's class?

i am currently looking at rashford for $58m but he seems like a Theo walcott (which I sold)

I haven't ever bought Dybala, though I've tried.  He always ends up at United.  Rashford is nuts, crazy, insane.  He's not Walcott; he's Griezmann with better mentals, and probably one of the five best players in this edition of FM.

--

Current save is in early 2022.  Man United are running away with the league (again) because they never concede goals, letting in only 8 in 30 games (and in the 31st I beat them 4-0 so at least there's that).   They also have the league's second-best attack; Dybala's scored 38 in 43 matches for them, and they get a ton of goals from corners.  So it's been pretty tough to reel them in.  This season in that respect is identical to the previous two. 

I'm mostly playing 4-2DM-3-1, and I'm in the first season of transitioning to regens and other young players. The attacking load has been carried by Rashford, Griezmann and Bernardo Silva with a rotating group of young players filling the last attacking spot.  Defensively, I have Jonathan Tah, signed as a Romagnoli replacement after he went to Madrid, Theo Hernandez and kids.  The best of the lot is Cristi Manea, courtesy of DOF Arsene Wenger.  I'm not sure what his Ambition is, but he has a habit of signing a contract extension, playing a single match and demanding a new one.  I may sell him just to stop him from spamming me with demands for more money, new contracts and new clubs.  He's asked to move to Bayern, Barcelona, Real Madrid, PSG and Monaco in the last two years.

Manea.thumb.jpg.30b4c92f352b3326292b3fabdaac548c.jpg

In midfield I use either 2DM behind a wide 3-1 or a DM and two CMs behind a wide front 3.  The usual setup in the 1-2 system is a halfback or DLPd depending on the opposition, plus a BWMs and either a CMs, BBM or DLPs.  Wilfred Ndidi is the ball-winner with Lee Hirst usually next to him.  Lee is a product of Arsenal's academy, class of 2017.  Funny story about that one; I forgot to sign any of the players from that class and had to go back and sign the whole class as free transfers.  Fortunately I didn't lose any of them.

hirst.thumb.png.68598101084ebf4cf2f9fb1cd1b0cd6b.png

The Caton Brothers are class of 2018 and 2019, respectively.  Ronnie is... obviously the superior prospect, but Ian could be valuable too.  Ian is either-footed, which is nice.  His brother is right-only.

rcaton.thumb.png.6c2f2c05308def6b6c77b4c191d49123.png

ciaton.thumb.png.2097dc2f8af59c057dec23266138e73a.png

The 25-man, outside the kids in and near the first team, is pretty old, which isn't great.  I've made a habit of collecting players with good personalities to fill spot needs and check transfer listed players regularly for that reason.  So I've got Koscielny and Ramsey still around (the only two, I'm afraid (Tomas Rosicky is back as a coach!), and a bunch of experienced players including Ryan Bertrand, Javi Martinez, backup keeper Tim Krul and Sami Khedira, who I've never forgiven for getting sent off in the first half in the Champions League final against United in 2020 but also can't seem to replace because every time I sign a midfielder he gets poached by someone else.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello guys :)

i play with Arsenal. i am almost at the end of 1 season. 

I play 4-1-2-3 Wide. 

Cech

Bellerin/Jenkinson - Mustafi/Holding - Kos/Paulista - Monreal/Gibbs

camacho/Coquelin

Ramsey/Xhaka - özil/adelaide

Bernardeschi/Ox - Sanchez/Iwobi

Walcott/Lucas

Dybala and Rossi will join the club to the new season.

Some advice where i can be stronger? :)

9 minutes ago, Vilmar said:

At goal, get Donnarumma or Rulli. 

Rightback: Hope you still have Chambers, good backup for Bellerin. 

I think i will go for ederson from SLB. I had Donnarumma on other saves. He is a star but i want to try something new :).

Chambers do i still have. 

Sanchez will away. who should i buy if i goes?

2 hours ago, dennislauridsen said:

I think i will go for ederson from SLB. I had Donnarumma on other saves. He is a star but i want to try something new :).

Chambers do i still have. 

Sanchez will away. who should i buy if i goes?

Mbappé or Pulisic.

Hi all,

Not been on here for a while. I'm midway through season 8 (2023-24) and my third potential boardroom takeover has failed.

Strangely I have found myself really wishing they would happen and I could have a small change and tweak to this save.

Anyone had a takeover themselves? 

Just now, Tommo1 said:

Quick question, what have you guys done with the below? Any future screenshots of them developed under your control?

Joao Virginia

Kept him. Sent him on loan in the 2019/20 season. Is now my 2nd choice keeper. 

5991c7bf73465_JoaoVirginia_OverviewProfile.thumb.png.6c52878a8f00c92793d1ec34aa8fb8ee.png

Eddie Nketiah

Was looking to sell him at the start of the 2019/20 season. He has been sent on loan every season until now, looking to phase him in.

5991c81283c93_EddieNketiah_OverviewProfile.thumb.png.d61a81a503f12f1b26ced91a57bb10b9.png

Donyell Malen

Sold him with clauses to Zenit for £15 (excluding clauses).

5991c87720ce5_DonyellMalen_OverviewProfile.thumb.png.3fafb8df6242e7334f7a5915d58c5af8.png

Jordi Osei-Tutu

Eventually let him on free.

5991c8b4ba408_JordiOsei-Tutu_OverviewProfile.thumb.png.2457e0ddafefe6d8e4b7fac1dc2403d5.png

Stephy Mavididi

There was a moment of doubt because of his physical attributes. But seeing he was already over 20 I sold him to an MLS team

5991c910636ae_StephyMavididi_OverviewProfile.thumb.png.a6447d6a59f89d28723d564eb3ab771e.png

For those wondering how some of the Arsenal players look at the end of 2019/20

https://medium.com/book-of-gooner/football-manager-chapter-iii-the-squad-that-did-it-all-b40440cc4b84

17 hours ago, Vilmar said:

Kept him. Sent him on loan in the 2019/20 season. Is now my 2nd choice keeper. 

5991c7bf73465_JoaoVirginia_OverviewProfile.thumb.png.6c52878a8f00c92793d1ec34aa8fb8ee.png

Was looking to sell him at the start of the 2019/20 season. He has been sent on loan every season until now, looking to phase him in.

5991c81283c93_EddieNketiah_OverviewProfile.thumb.png.d61a81a503f12f1b26ced91a57bb10b9.png

Sold him with clauses to Zenit for £15 (excluding clauses).

5991c87720ce5_DonyellMalen_OverviewProfile.thumb.png.3fafb8df6242e7334f7a5915d58c5af8.png

Eventually let him on free.

5991c8b4ba408_JordiOsei-Tutu_OverviewProfile.thumb.png.2457e0ddafefe6d8e4b7fac1dc2403d5.png

There was a moment of doubt because of his physical attributes. But seeing he was already over 20 I sold him to an MLS team

5991c910636ae_StephyMavididi_OverviewProfile.thumb.png.a6447d6a59f89d28723d564eb3ab771e.png

For those wondering how some of the Arsenal players look at the end of 2019/20

https://medium.com/book-of-gooner/football-manager-chapter-iii-the-squad-that-did-it-all-b40440cc4b84

That's great, thanks chap. Nketiah looks great! 

He was a pleasant surprise. Currently training him to beat offside. 

Also look for Alexis as a tutors starting season 2018/19. Though the first season he didn't click well with the youngsters he has now trained 3 of my pupils to Det 18-19 with Driven mentality.

Update on current arsenal save, currently a few games into the 3rd season.

1st season won the league and champions league, knocked out 1st round of league cup and semis in FA cup.

2nd season won the league 32 wins 6 draws 0 defeats :) Lost champions league final 2-1 to PSG (had 20 shots to 5 against). Lost community shield and FA Cup (semis), won fifa club world cup, super cup & league cup.

3rd season so far won community shield on pens & super cup.

Signings and sales off the top of my head, pretty sure on the prices i paid but selling prices might be off by a little (will update with concrete figures later)

1st season signings:

Dybala £67m

Kolasinac 18m (release clause jan)

1st season sales:

Debuchy 3.5m

Gibbs (9-12m) cant remember

Monreal (13m)

Iwobi (30m) - Jan - He wanted to go for higher wages

2nd season signings:

Alaba 84m

Hummels 62m

Nainggollan 41m

James Rodriguez 44m

2nd season sales:

Gabriel 20m

Giroud 25m

Xhaka 33m

Walcott 27m

Perez 18m

Ox £30m - Jan - 6 months left on contract and -285k on wage budget :)

Wilshere, Holding, Sczhezny and pretty much most of the u23 squad for 40-50m

3rd Season signings:

Donnarumma £40m

Tielmens £16m (I think - was a release clause)

Odegaard £20m (Again i think  - was a release clause)

Aguero 43m (Asked board to do this transfer and they agreed to it - only had 11m in transfer budget available but dybala was out for 6 weeks, signed on deadline day).

Regen CB £5m (4.5*PA)

Regen RB £8.5m (5*PA)

3rd Season sales:

Jenkinson £13m

Cech 3.5m

Asano £6.5m

Elneny £31m (sold on deadline day after Aguero was bought so still have this in transfer budget

Some u23 players <2.5m

Released  - Cazorla, Mertesacker

Current Squad

GKs - Donnarumma, Ospina (contract ends this season)

RB - Bellerin, Regen

LB - Alaba, Kolasinac

CB - Kosc, Mustafi, Hummels, Regen

CMs - Ramsey, Coquelin, Nainggollan, Tielmans

RW - Reiss Nelson, Odegaard,

LW - Rene-Adelaide, Sanchez, Welbeck

CAM - Ozil, J Rodriguez

ST - Dybala, Aguero

Will be looking to sell Welbeck this season and maybe Aguero to get Bale/Neymar. Arsenal are quite an easy team to build a dream team with because there's so many players to sell in the 2nd season. Best thing i find is buying experienced players in the 2nd season and then youth prospects the year after. Also try to avoid buying players in January. The prices usually drop a lot by the summer window. Had to buy Kolasinac because Monreal wanted out and I'd already sold Gibbs to scrounge the funds to get Dybala. Strangely enough he's only doing average for me. Sanchez is destroying it from the left wing (season 2: 54 appearances, 46 goals, world footballer of the year) I did try to sign Bernardo Silva in the 2nd season but they rejected all the way to £116m so settled for Rodriguez and Hummels.

How have Reiss and Jeff developed for you?

8 hours ago, kayron said:

Arsenal are quite an easy team to build a dream team with because there's so many players to sell in the 2nd season. Best thing i find is buying experienced players in the 2nd season and then youth prospects the year after.

Agree with this. I bought more for the future. Young players or players mid 20 with good personality and determination. 

Going into the 2020/21 season I'm looking to see the first class graduate to first team regular. That would be 7 players for me. 

They're both okay, mostly there to fill out the squad. Nelson has the better stats and creates more assists while Jeff scores more but their stats aren't ever going to get close to Sanchez/rodriguez. Neither is odegaard though but they all are decent enough. Tielmans has really come along this season though

Started a new file mid week and so far so good, although the injuries that keep creeping in are starting to get comical. 

One thing I will say is Ozil is doing pretty well in my tactic, I'm glad at the moment I'm getting the good stuff out of him as his stats and stature is class. Here's the latest on my league and Ozil. Spurs are having a bit of a nightmare.

Screen Shot 2017-08-18 at 17.36.11.png

Screen Shot 2017-08-18 at 17.36.27.png

Screen Shot 2017-08-18 at 17.36.58.png

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, just wanted to find out if anyone knows if SI will be releasing a summer transfer window update? or they'll just leave that for FM 2018 release? My save got corrupted towards the end of my 4th season, 3 months ago and I lost interest in playing fm coz I had lost all the progress I had made. However I figured I would wait till the end of the current transfer window and start again with updated squads.

End of Season 8 (2023/24)

Hi all,

Fairly quick update of my Arsenal save, having completed my eighth season. 

FA Cup - We had a shocker and went out in the third round away to Championship side Wigan. Awful.

League Cup - Lost in 4th round away to Liverpool.

Premier League- Much better, thankfully! We had a slightly ropey start to the season but a run of 24 unbeaten and 13 wins in a row saw us go top early in the new year and we never relinquished from there. Paulo Dybala once again finished league top scorer, and ended up with 44 goals in 48 games. He is now 30 but I might have found his eventual successor...

Anyway, final table finished like this:

20170903113620_1.thumb.jpg.2bfd6212d03437dbbf04bd0f9baf1a8d.jpg

It also included a couple of nice results towards the end of the season against my closest challengers:

20170903114003_1.thumb.jpg.0bc0c327b2cee137a49baded2fa40b9a.jpg

20170903113926_1.thumb.jpg.4a6ae10e69460aa38ad76467425ad002.jpg

Champions League - A really good run, including this semi final first leg:

20170903113943_1.thumb.jpg.4f5360689734f3f3284426881ec9ac21.jpg

Eventually we faced Real Madrid in the final in Seville. In my save, Madrid are managed by Allegri and are an absolute machine, having won 3 CL's and 6 of the last 8 league titles. We did play well but they were very tough and it wasn't quite enough:

20170903113845_1.thumb.jpg.4b35c9038adb2c8747b638f1540a6e7c.jpg

Transfers

Check out these two regens I have signed, each costing £60mil but they look (to me) like absolute worldies.

20170903114432_1.thumb.jpg.042376f333f29a312d691db796a0e93c.jpg

and....

20170903114451_1.thumb.jpg.8e4706b372de0c542efac3dedcb8c03d.jpg

• 1 month later...

While we're awaiting an FM2018 Arsenal thread, I thought it would be interesting to see how everyone is getting on with their Arsenal save in Beta. 

Has anyone convinced Sanchez to stay? 

Iwobi is pretty good this year, I got Ozil to sign a new contract and I'm glad he did. He's been my best player so far. Niles also seems ready for the EPL.  There's a lot of crud in the squad though. Struggled to get rid of Giroud, Wilshere, Coquelin, Debuchy and Welbeck. The latter stayed and is pretty dire. Got in Goretzka for £50m and worth every penny. Also recommend Malang Sarr, a monster of a central defender from Nice who can be snapped up for £20m. Only 18 and already in my strongest 11. Last first team signing was Nabil Fekir as a replacement for the injured Carzola. His close ball control is amazing, lots of assists. 

I decided to do arsenal for my fm18 save and have the beta.

I have had one of my best ever FM season!

Done the quadruple by winning the community shield, premiership title (was pretty much top the whole season) league cup winners and Europa league winners.

I'm half tempted to leave as I don't think I will ever better that season with arsenal!

Sanchez still left on a free, tried to offer him a new contract the entire season but he wouldn't even discuss. Ozil signed a new deal though.

I pretty much rotated my team from league games to cup games and alot of different players for games.

I made 3 signings, icardi (74million) de vrij and de ligt.

I will say giroud was an absolute beast in that first season for me! Scored over 30 goals! To befair I started to opt for him more than icardi as the season went on. Will also add that whenever I called for welbeck to play he always done great too.

I am now left with a big dilemma of who to sign in season 3, youngsters? But also need a replacement for Sanchez who won my player of the season. 

I have 120million in the kitty to play with. Have to say the way transfers have inflated, the money does not go far on FM any longer.

IMG_20171030_184848.jpg

IMG_20171030_185131.jpg

2 hours ago, sufcdan said:

I am now left with a big dilemma of who to sign in season 3, youngsters? But also need a replacement for Sanchez who won my player of the season. 

I have 120million in the kitty to play with. Have to say the way transfers have inflated, the money does not go far on FM any longer.

I'd try for Griezmann if he haven't signed a new contract. £89m release clause. Pretty much the best and most like-for-like signing you can (maybe) get. His wages will probably be on the expensive side though.

Just started a save as Arsenal on FM17 with the pr0 transfer window update, managed to sell Carl Jenkinson to Southampton for 22mil, though they instantly listed him for 48mil a day after. Wierd!

Debating whether to sell Ozil for 90mil to Chelsea, i can never get him to perform consistently in any Arsenal save i have had.

Good luck getting a lot of money for Sanchez, I listed him at £90m and got down to £35m and still only Man City were interested. I let him go for £30m in the end but still better than for free having paid him £10m in wages by the time his contract expired. Someone else managed to sell him for £50m to City, so maybe that was right at the start of the game. Lemar was available for £80m at the start, so in my mind he was a straight swap for Sanchez, but by the time that transfer was tied up in mid August, Monaco wanted £135m. 

The transfer system seems more realistic this time round, for the first time in years I've not been able to get any of my first choices in the first window.  

Anyone have any luck of getting Alexis to re-sign? I started an AFC save in the beta, but had to abandon it when I lost way too much progress than I cared to replay. Both saves I was able to sign Ozil with no problems (although expensive), but Sanchez obviously wouldn't sign. I'm wondering with maybe some success and good signings he could change his mind? 

The weird thing is he didn't want to be sold either because when I transfer listed him I had to do a talk with him and said I'd let him stay. 

Don't think so, even if you win the prem he wont resign. Probably hard coded. 

Who wants to create the new Arsenal thread btw? I have a nice historical introduction, but can't really rate the players as well as others. Also my English isn't the best. 

On 31/10/2017 at 23:35, sufcdan said:

I decided to do arsenal for my fm18 save and have the beta.

I have had one of my best ever FM season!

Done the quadruple by winning the community shield, premiership title (was pretty much top the whole season) league cup winners and Europa league winners.

I'm half tempted to leave as I don't think I will ever better that season with arsenal!

Sanchez still left on a free, tried to offer him a new contract the entire season but he wouldn't even discuss. Ozil signed a new deal though.

I pretty much rotated my team from league games to cup games and alot of different players for games.

I made 3 signings, icardi (74million) de vrij and de ligt.

I will say giroud was an absolute beast in that first season for me! Scored over 30 goals! To befair I started to opt for him more than icardi as the season went on. Will also add that whenever I called for welbeck to play he always done great too.

IMG_20171030_184848.jpg

IMG_20171030_185131.jpg

What sort of tactical system were you playing?

Nicely done by the way!

Glad someone started this going again. I've been struggling a bit so far but my progress to date has been

- Let Wenger go (I kept him in FM17 but fancied a change). Brought in the chap from Monaco as new DoF
- The incumbent Head of Youth Development also terrible so sacked him and brought in the equivalent from Inter - much better stats
- Sacked a few scouts as loads had terrible stats
- Hired a few more coaches to get the training rating higher (I think coach ratings are generally a little lower on 18)

Sold Elneny to City (23mil), Sold Debuchy to Stoke (£6mil), Ospina to Lazio (£13mil)

Signed:

Laporte (£52mil release clause) He was immense in FM17 but already thinking might have been too much
Savic (I think that is his name) MC from Lazio for £22mil
Weiser (About £20mil) WBR from Hertha Berlin.

I still need a backup keeper but ideally that will be an English one for the homegrown quota. 

Playing a 4-1-2-2-1 formation once again and pre-season has been good so far but not convincing. 

I've decided to keep Sanchez and let him go on a free. I've also resigned Ozil but on a very minimal pay rise. My view is we need to get back into CL and they give me best chance of doing so.

Anyone had much luck with particular tactics or systems? I've had decent pre season results but possession is harder to dominate - for me anyway. 

Made some tests in beta as well but waiting for full release to start the save.

I will probably sign pereira, savic and Arthur or diawara for a complete midfield revamp. I also really wanna try sisto as winger. And even though he isn't as strong as in real life I want to make goretzka work as he is my favourite player atm. Probably quite cheap in the winter transfer window. 

Elneny is way to flexible to be sold. He's able to fill all roles im dm and cm from mezzala, carillero to Bwm or Dlp. Even segundo volante. 

Still not to surely if I'm going 4231 deep dm (Dlp + SV)  and shadow striker or 433 with mezzala and carillero. 

Hi guys , sorry if it has already been posted but is there any way to get Sanchez to sign a deal or is it coded in that he will definitely leave ?  I have just started an Arsenal game ( have not even pressed my first continue ) and he doesnt want to talk right now but shows no sign of unhappiness in info ?
Thanks

Archived