FM17: Arsenal

llama3

The plan with using Arsenal youth players mainly kinda died on me, because except Nelson and the Jeff all of them are PA 3 stars rated with pretty low starting CA. I still will only use in game scouted players though.

I'm using Alexis as False 9 with Özil as Trequartista behind. Only problem so far, Alexis started pretty good with 2 Hattricks in pre season and then went to really bad in full season (like 6,4 average score). So I mainly play Lucas up front, which worked great so far. Didn't really strengthen in that  position, which could become a problem. 

I do score a lot of goal, but as predicted I'm way to open for counter attacks. I still haven't figured out, how to tell Xhaka to stay in front of defense at all times, as he is overrun in every freaking counter. He is slower then Mertesacker ffs. Alternatively I use a 5-1-2-2, which worked pretty well against ManCity.

As for transfers:

I brought in Correa from Atleti (~30m €), because my scouts went crazy over him and he can play the Trequartista position perfectly.

Then Danilo (RB - Real Madrid) was available on a cheap (5m €) and he's a better backup than Debuchy or Jenkinson. 

Also even though I didn't wanted to use the well known wonderkids from outside the game, my scouts recommended Bazoer (DM/CM - Ajax ~15m €), Donnarumma(GK - Milan - ~15 € and loaned back to Milan) and Sarr (DC- OGC Nice - ~5m €) so I got these. Sarr looks so freaking good. He's as good as Holding and Chambers, despite only being 17 1/2 years old.

Because Ox and Theo can't really play IF on the right, I got Leon Bailey from Genk (~12m €) but I should have scouted him competently as he isn't as good as I first thought.

I sold Debuchy and Coq (12m € to Bayern!) on deadline day, because I needed funds for Shaw(~28m Euro), who was pretty cheap. I digged on him all window and he was listed after a row with Mourinho on DLD. Malcom (~28m €) also came in last minute on deadline day. He just looks like pure class and I will try to retrain him as IF on the right. 

Last but not least I got Maximiliano Romero (up to 6m €), because I buy him on every save and hope we will do so in real life too (http://www.espnfc.us/story/2382431/arsenal-close-to-deal-for-velez-sarsfield-youngster-maximiliano-romero old news but still).

That was way more business then the squad needed and its a bit blown at the moment, but with Mertesacker, Welbz and Gabriel injured for the long term and some players won't be there forever (Santi, Per, Nacho) I'm prepared for the seasons to come. Giroud and Walcott don't really fit my system, so they will probably be offloaded in January. I haven't found the perfect false 9, Luan from Gremio is a possibility, but too similar to Lucas. 

If you are looking for a good LB there is one in Serie A loaned to Empoli form Inter. He's called Federico Dimarco and looks like pure class. You just can't sign him in the first season, as he has a future fee involved. Otherwise I would have taken him over Shaw (which also I really good) all day. 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 04/11/2016 at 05:03, vozzon said:

How is everyone going with selling players and what can you get for them?

Was looking at doing an Arsenal save and getting rid of the below players:

Giroud

Debuchney

Monreal

Walcott

Wellbeck

Also any good buys/bargains you would recommend, would love dybala but i dont think i could get him first season. 

Giroud - I've kept and will do for about 2 seasons

Debuchy - sold for about £1.8M to Southampton (good to get the £70K wages off the bill)

Monreal - same as Giroud

Walcott - tried to sell but no takers, so loaned him to Liverpool who are paying his £140K wages

Welbeck - decent squad player but may sell at the end of the first season 

I've mentioned this elsewhere but worth saying again. Angel Correa, will cost you less than £20m at the start. Worth every penny, superb AMC. When playing "support" he frequently tracks back to regain possession and his key passes are sublime. Can also play AML/AMR/ST. 

So I signed Christian Pulisic in January of season 1 after he was transfer-listed for some reason.

He's been a complete revelation so far. In 6 appearances he has 6 goals and 4 assists. Looking forward to seeing his development moving forward, it's going to be tough to displace him after this start.

2 hours ago, Jay_Arsenal said:

So, I've just been beaten for the first time in the premier league since the start, I made it to February! Gutted ! 

Screen Shot 2016-11-07 at 23.14.37.png

can you share your tactic/team instructions a little? Curious to see how people are finding this game quiet easy!

I have a few questions, 

i keep reading that the Arsenal starting budget is 67 million but for what ever reason I only started with £30 m is there something I have done wrong? 

Also I actually currently like the Arsenal squad so instead of going down my usual route of signing a lot of youngsters I want to try to add one top class player like griezman or bale has anybody had any luck with these kind of players or if not I was thinking to try and sign harry Kane in the first season to one improve my attack and also to weaken our biggest rivals but I don't seem to be getting any where has any one else managed to make a deal happen ?

7 hours ago, aditya said:

can you share your tactic/team instructions a little? Curious to see how people are finding this game quiet easy!

Sure, I have a few player instructions too, Sanchez to get further forward and shoot more, Ox to dribble more, Ozil to try risky passes etc. I must admit it's definitely the easiest its been for a few years now, although certain games are still a challenge.

Screen Shot 2016-11-08 at 08.49.23.png

Screen Shot 2016-11-08 at 08.51.03.png

3 hours ago, Turner1992 said:

I have a few questions, 

i keep reading that the Arsenal starting budget is 67 million but for what ever reason I only started with £30 m is there something I have done wrong? 

Also I actually currently like the Arsenal squad so instead of going down my usual route of signing a lot of youngsters I want to try to add one top class player like griezman or bale has anybody had any luck with these kind of players or if not I was thinking to try and sign harry Kane in the first season to one improve my attack and also to weaken our biggest rivals but I don't seem to be getting any where has any one else managed to make a deal happen ?

What did you set your own reputation at when you created your manager?  I could be wrong but i think that sets how much money the board trust you with. If you set yourself to a global international footballer you get the max budget i believe

Hope that helps

4 hours ago, Turner1992 said:

I have a few questions, 

1 hour ago, georgey said:

What did you set your own reputation at when you created your manager?  I could be wrong but i think that sets how much money the board trust you with. If you set yourself to a global international footballer you get the max budget i believe

Hope that helps

To make it realistic I set it as an ex Sunday league player that's probably the problem thanks

8 hours ago, Turner1992 said:

I have a few questions, 

i have just had an epic transfer saga with griezmann, was in the BETA  lasted all of the first season, i ended up buying De Bruyne from Bayern Munich  for 86m instead.

First season just completed. I won the league, and the champions league, I was given an easy run with Real Madrid, Barcelona and Bayern all avoided (for once!) and beat Porto in the final! I stopped any transfers over the summer, and decided to not buy anyone in January too, with only selling Lucas to Sevilla for 21mil! He actually asked me to go! His loss I see. I'm struggling to find a striker that fits the Arsenal mould, (youth, hot prospect, less than around 20mil, potential first team candidate) I know it seems highly unlikely but I want an Henry - any suggestions guys? How is everyone else getting on ?

7 hours ago, Jay_Arsenal said:

First season just completed. I won the league, and the champions league, I was given an easy run with Real Madrid, Barcelona and Bayern all avoided (for once!) and beat Porto in the final! I stopped any transfers over the summer, and decided to not buy anyone in January too, with only selling Lucas to Sevilla for 21mil! He actually asked me to go! His loss I see. I'm struggling to find a striker that fits the Arsenal mould, (youth, hot prospect, less than around 20mil, potential first team candidate) I know it seems highly unlikely but I want an Henry - any suggestions guys? How is everyone else getting on ?

Not an Henry but have a look at boletti in the serie A , he's at either Palermo or Torino I think ( not on fm just now and can't quite remember) . 

Take a look at him and tell me what you think. 

1 hour ago, georgey said:

Not an Henry but have a look at boletti in the serie A , he's at either Palermo or Torino I think ( not on fm just now and can't quite remember) . 

Take a look at him and tell me what you think. 

I second this, dude. Belotti is an old favourite of mine from FM16, I tried to sign him for Arsenal but he chose PSG over me. 

I won the league in my first season and reached the CL final against Barca but lost.

Second season i'm 1 point behind sP*rs with 8 games to go with a game in hand and I have to play them at home. I'm up against Barca in the quarters again.

For some reason I decided to buy Griezmann, shelling out 67m for him, not sure why I did it either, Iwobi, Welbeck and Anderson were doing a good job at AML for me. Now I've shoehorned Griezmann into my team, I've had to change the AML spot from winger (s) to IF (a).

It's early days and he's still obviously settling in but his performances aren't befitting of someone who nearly cost 70m. He's got 2 goals and 2 assists so far from about 10 games, nothing special.

I'm actually thinking of making more tactical changes to try and get the best from him. This would consist of moving Sanchez from his striker role as a defensive forward back down to IF. Then I would change the defensive forward role to complete forward as this role would suit Griezmann better.

I'm hoping I haven't messed up the league with these alterations, but I think it should hopefully work out well, just might have to be more defensive minded in some of my games and not take too many risks.

3 hours ago, gholliday87 said:

Lucas, latest Arsenal striker to steal a living...I can't wait to ship him out! He's scored once in 10 games, and that was in the EFL Cup!

For me he's scored 9 in 20 - 13 starts & 7 subs, not bad, but I did just get André Silva from Porto for £28M so he'll be used more from the wings I reckon. 

Also, Juventus are interested in him (Lucas) and he has a value of £28M so I may sell him. 

Just finished Season 1:

Competition results:

GLpCDmt.png

Transfers In(all the outs this season were Loans):

zWOGMea.png

Player Stats:

YNroPZF.png

As mentioned previously, Pulisic was absurd. 12 Goals and 8 assists in 19 appearances. 6 PoM awards, leading the team, despite being a January signing.

By the end of the Season, Rondon supplanted Giroud as starting Striker. 24 Goals and 8 assists in 46 appearances. Giroud had 17 and 5 in 38. So both the strikers did what they needed to. But I may be bringing in Icardi this summer.

Lucas and Giroud have been awful even in their best roles. It was fine while Correa, Ozil and Jeff were scoring for fun but the November jinx has struck with Giroud, Sanchez, Oxlaide-Chamberlain and Walcott all out for more than 4 weeks resulting in a run of low-scoring draws. Ozil's form has declined, Jeff's has fallen off a cliff and back into the reserves. Reiss Nelson is in the 1st team squad already by December 2016, very promising player. 

I picked up Diafra Sakho for £7.5m on deadline day as I was already concerned by Lucas' poor form. Lucky I did, as Sakho has proved himself to be useful scoring 6 PL goals in 8 starts. Not world class but decent workrate and makes a nuisance of himself in the penalty area.

Come January though I'm going to have 4 distinctly average strikers. Unfortunately, that seems to be the case in my U23 team too, none of the young forwards are good enough to break through.  

6 hours ago, WillyBroadband said:

For me he's scored 9 in 20 - 13 starts & 7 subs, not bad, but I did just get André Silva from Porto for £28M so he'll be used more from the wings I reckon. 

Also, Juventus are interested in him (Lucas) and he has a value of £28M so I may sell him. 

Lucky you! I've managed to loan him back to spain in hope that they keep him! How he's worth 26 mil is beyond me..

2 hours ago, Nonlondoner said:

Lucas and Giroud have been awful even in their best roles. It was fine while Correa, Ozil and Jeff were scoring for fun but the November jinx has struck with Giroud, Sanchez, Oxlaide-Chamberlain and Walcott all out for more than 4 weeks resulting in a run of low-scoring draws. Ozil's form has declined, Jeff's has fallen off a cliff and back into the reserves. Reiss Nelson is in the 1st team squad already by December 2016, very promising player. 

I picked up Diafra Sakho for £7.5m on deadline day as I was already concerned by Lucas' poor form. Lucky I did, as Sakho has proved himself to be useful scoring 6 PL goals in 8 starts. Not world class but decent workrate and makes a nuisance of himself in the penalty area.

Come January though I'm going to have 4 distinctly average strikers. Unfortunately, that seems to be the case in my U23 team too, none of the young forwards are good enough to break through.  

I nearly signed Sakho too but dropped out last minute. Injuries got so bad I had to give Fortune a go, he actually played really well! Scored 1 injury time winner. 

11 minutes ago, gholliday87 said:

Lucky you! I've managed to loan him back to spain in hope that they keep him! How he's worth 26 mil is beyond me..

I think I'll probably get rid too, man. André Silva has been unreal so far with 6 goals in 3 games. He is an old favourite from FM16. 

I just can't get Alexis rolling. I tried him as F9 and IF(A) on the left wing. He's involved with over 100 touches per game, but he just doesn't do anything good with it. Misdirected passes, bad shots and stupid dribbles in nowhere land is all I get out of him. Then there are games where he absolutely shines, but these are rare. His average rating is a between 6.7 and 7 (after a good match).

12 hours ago, WillyBroadband said:

I think I'll probably get rid too, man. André Silva has been unreal so far with 6 goals in 3 games. He is an old favourite from FM16. 

He was a killer last here. Did a season with more than 1 goal per match for me ;)

2 hours ago, gandrasch said:

I just can't get Alexis rolling. I tried him as F9 and IF(A) on the left wing. He's involved with over 100 touches per game, but he just doesn't do anything good with it. Misdirected passes, bad shots and stupid dribbles in nowhere land is all I get out of him. Then there are games where he absolutely shines, but these are rare. His average rating is a between 6.7 and 7 (after a good match).

He's not been that good for me either, man. His form is streaky. I play him mainly as an IF/Sup in the AML position in a 4-3-3 and the odd game as a lone ST as a CF/Sup. 
As you can see in the screenie he has 8 goals & 5 assists in 29 appearances. 

Screen Shot 2016-11-10 at 10.59.42.png

1 minute ago, WillyBroadband said:

Screen Shot 2016-11-10 at 15.16.46.png

The game must be reading my mind though.. I checked my squad stats to see how many mistakes & mistakes leading to goals I had made - zero! Next game, I concede 3 goals to Bournemouth all from keeper errors! (2 for Cech, brought on Ospina & he made the 3rd error) 

Lucas plays really well for me against the bigger teams but not the lesser ones, worth keeping hold of for those ones.

My issue is how to juggle the million central midfielders. Might have to ship one or two out.

Julian Green from Bayern for 1.8 mill has been a useful purchase so far and the board loved him due to the commercial aspects.

Also picked up Mile Svilar from Anderlecht, keeper that should come into his own for when Cech starts fading

3 hours ago, Kazeria said:

Lucas plays really well for me against the bigger teams but not the lesser ones, worth keeping hold of for those ones.

My issue is how to juggle the million central midfielders. Might have to ship one or two out.

Julian Green from Bayern for 1.8 mill has been a useful purchase so far and the board loved him due to the commercial aspects.

Also picked up Mile Svilar from Anderlecht, keeper that should come into his own for when Cech starts fading

I've noticed that about Lucas too, actually man. 

Same with the central midfielders - I think Coquelin might be the one to leave, IRL I like him (I'm a Gooner) but a bit limited maybe. Elneny & Xhaka have been great rotated for my BBM role. 

Julian Green is on my shortlist! I think I'll get him too. Had him at Hamburg on FM15 (I think) and he was decent. 

Good shout on the 'keeper. I got Rajković from Maccabi Tel Aviv for the same reason. He didn't get a work permit but I think he will as he's played all of Serbia's games all season and has been on loan to an A League game. 

Rajkovic still fails the work permit which is annoying as he is still cheap. I've been breaking Svilar in with cup games and he is performing well so far.

i was thinking the same about Coq but I don't think I can bring myself to do it. It may need to be ElNayNay.

if Green is on your shortlist then do it ?

Ramsey is playing really well for me in the AP support role

10 minutes ago, Kazeria said:

Rajkovic still fails the work permit which is annoying as he is still cheap. I've been breaking Svilar in with cup games and he is performing well so far.

i was thinking the same about Coq but I don't think I can bring myself to do it. It may need to be ElNayNay.

if Green is on your shortlist then do it ?

Ramsey is playing really well for me in the AP support role

I play him in a middle 3 as either AP/Sup or DLP/Def and the occasional game as BBM. Has some blinders but bad mainly. 

3 minutes ago, puffascruffowitz said:

I haven't seen Reiss Nelson mentioned yet. He's 16 at the start of the game and has loads of potential. Looks to be a better prospect than Jeff.

I had a huge injury crisis and he ended up getting some games. He was great and a very bright prospect! 

I had Santi tutor him which helped him, definitely. 

Screen Shot 2016-11-10 at 22.10.58.png

3 minutes ago, WillyBroadband said:

I had a huge injury crisis and he ended up getting some games. He was great and a very bright prospect! 

Screen Shot 2016-11-10 at 22.10.58.png

looks like a nice little contribution from the youngster.  I struggled to find him games, but will definitely give him a few in 2nd season.

Does anybody else have some arsenalish injury crisis aswell? I have at least 5 people injured at any given time in the season. My squad is big enough, but the key members are injured.

Reiss looks really good in my save too. 5* PA, with some lower stats, but important ones are on 14 already, at the age of 16.

10 hours ago, WillyBroadband said:

Actually, wondering how everyone is getting on with Ramsey? I'm considering selling him at the end of my first season. 

I sold Welbeck for £21M to Man City (I like keeping my wage bill as low as possible) 

Ramsey is frustrating, he (along with the rest of the midfielders) complains he doesn't get enough playing time. So I play him and he's shocking, I'm undecided on what to do with him.

City are interested in Welbeck on my game as well, yet won't put a bid in!

Sold Nacho to PSG as he wanted to leave in Jan, in hope that I've secured Tierney only for him to join City. I had been admiring Hendrichs from afar for most of my game, put in a stupid low bid which got rejected and managed to get him to become unhappy and request a transfer. Got him for 7mil. Looks like a good prospect

55 minutes ago, gholliday87 said:

Ramsey is frustrating, he (along with the rest of the midfielders) complains he doesn't get enough playing time. So I play him and he's shocking, I'm undecided on what to do with him.

City are interested in Welbeck on my game as well, yet won't put a bid in!

Sold Nacho to PSG as he wanted to leave in Jan, in hope that I've secured Tierney only for him to join City. I had been admiring Hendrichs from afar for most of my game, put in a stupid low bid which got rejected and managed to get him to become unhappy and request a transfer. Got him for 7mil. Looks like a good prospect

Ramsey has never complained about lack of games, (Coquelin & Santi are the only ones who have actually. Letting Santi go on a free) but he is incredibly frustrating. Looking at getting Witsel on a free, maybe. 

Welbeck has been awful at City since I sold him and Pep has just been sacked. 

Hendrichs at Leverkusen? He's great man, I had a cracking Leverkusen save on FM16. 

Archived