Injuries worse than previous editions?

Hi, I'm playing as Arsenal, as I always do, but since the beginning of the season, the injuries have been piling up. I understand injuries are part of modern football, but 10 first team injuries after 3 league games and 2 international games? Isn't that a bit much? I didn't seem to have that problem in last year's edition. Is this a known fact or could it be a bug? Just wondering. 

There's a joke here somewhere about injuries and Arsenal I'm sure.

with FM17, if I've got 1 game a week i use Average intensity, 0 games I go to high, More than 1 game i go to low/very low. Wouldn't want to risk injuries, ya feel me?

So far as Man Utd I've had 1 long term injury from preseason and only 1 other injury for 2 weeks heading into christmas

As has been said numerous times, the injury module has not changed in any major way for FM 17 and still runs at a level just below the real life stats.  What is clear though that injuries can be more common at the start of a new game, till your players get fit and get comfortable  with the team's playing style and tactics.  You will find as the season wears on, the injury situation will normalise.

I don't understand how people keep complaining about injuries all the time, don't they follow real football?

Roma alone had 4 long term injuries in the last months (Vermaelen, Rudiger, Mario Rui, Florenzi) + minor (1 month or less) injuries to Emerson, Totti, Manolas and Perotti. I could go on with other teams.

CM4 (at least I think it was CM4), was just about unplayable out of the box because of injury issues, (although it was much improved after the 2nd patch I think). There haven't been serious injury issues with any game since then. 

I'm half-way through my 4th season and haven't seen significant injuries so far.  

5 hours ago, HUNT3R said:

If anything, injury levels should be increased. The game's injury levels are only at 70% of real life levels. Can't remember the last time or version I had 8 out injured. :(

Can you imagine this place? 

I've signed this amazing, (just go with it for a minute), striker called Danny Ings and he's only played 6 games in 2 and a half years. It's just soooo unrealistic and makes the game unplayable. I want a refund!

29 minutes ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

Can you imagine this place? 

I've signed this amazing, (just go with it for a minute), striker called Danny Ings and he's only played 6 games in 2 and a half years. It's just soooo unrealistic and makes the game unplayable. I want a refund!

Same as AI tactical decision making and match analysis ability actually. If that ever were brought to a level...
This gets me every time as well, in particular if the argument is whether anything of it would be realistic (it isn't because it's painfully obvious how outside of individually runs how much fewer injuries the game has created for years. But every time somebody experiences even a borderline crisis, which do happen, after all,  the band wagon starts a-rolling. Same with the AI scores of first shot, need 40 shots to score, band wagons etc. So far there is easy solutions for everything which you don't even massively need to tweak from release to release. For a long term player, that is a bit worrying. But what do I know.) ;-)

I'm playing a youth only save so many of my players are young.

My intensity is on high permanently and I always have additional focus training for everyone at the club. In addition to that, almost all players in the club are either learning ppm's or are in a tutoring cycle. 

Loads of players are unhappy about the amount of work they have to do, but I'm not seeing loads of injuries, (and am half-way through my 4th season).

Having said that, I'm playing in Iceland where the season is short, the facilities here are good and we play on a synthetic pitch, (all of which may/may not contribute to the situation).

I never get a massive amount of injuries on FM so I struggle to understand why others do.

I don't do anything special either, training wise every player will be somewhere around medium/heavy while on the pitch I have balanced tactics with players often ending the match at around 55%-65% condition.

I would say its rare for me to have more than five senior players out at any time and currently I have three seniors out, one reserve & one U19s.

1 hour ago, Cougar2010 said:

I never get a massive amount of injuries on FM so I struggle to understand why others do.

Probably just randomness. Someone in the know feel free to correct me, but I imagine there is a random element to injuries in the game. Though the chances will be affected by what the player does, ultimately there is a random seed in there somewhere. Cougar2010, you probably play the game in such a way to help reduce the odds. Other players may do different.

In any case, with randomness comes clumping. In other words, sometimes it will happen that a player by chance gets a lot of injuries. Then we get an echo-chamber effect on here where a frustrated player has a greater tendency to complain, other players feeling the same will then tend more to joining in. Conversely, those at the other tail of the bell curve who have experienced few to no injury problems will more likely not care, not read injury threads, and stay quieter on the subject.

I think injuries need to be managed a bit more carefully on this edition. It seems that players coming back from injury seem more susceptible to picking up other knocks or recurrences than in previous version.

I'm also playing as Arsenal and it's taken to second pre-season to get Danny Welbeck back into full fitness.

It's also important to remeber starting with Arsenal means Mertesacker, Gabriel, Jenkinson and Welbeck all start with serious injuries, which can make any early season injuries feel more noticeable.

Overall though, I'd say the balance of injuries feels the same as ever

Just now, gunner86 said:

I think injuries need to be managed a bit more carefully on this edition.

I've done absolutely nothing different regarding training or how I use players and I'm not having issues at all. Team training on Average with a rest day after a match works just fine. Setting up individual training in addition also makes no difference.

5 minutes ago, Pingdinho said:

Probably just randomness. Someone in the know feel free to correct me, but I imagine there is a random element to injuries in the game. Though the chances will be affected by what the player does, ultimately there is a random seed in there somewhere. Cougar2010, you probably play the game in such a way to help reduce the odds. Other players may do different.

In any case, with randomness comes clumping. In other words, sometimes it will happen that a player by chance gets a lot of injuries. Then we get an echo-chamber effect on here where a frustrated player has a greater tendency to complain, other players feeling the same will then tend more to joining in. Conversely, those at the other tail of the bell curve who have experienced few to no injury problems will more likely not care, not read injury threads, and stay quieter on the subject.

Thats true but if you look at the causes:

A) Training - Mine is always medium/heavy so its not like I let them slack off.  I've always said for training you should aim for the middle, not extremely high and not too low.  I do give them a day off after a match which perhaps makes a difference.

B) Tactics - Many users do push players too much on the pitch but even then I don't have issues when my players are ending matches consistently with <60% condition.  If mine are ending that low on condition then how hard are other users pushing them to increase the injury risk?

C) Injury prone players - Although I do take note and I don't fill my squad with injury prone players.  I generally still have several in any given squad and it never stops me signing a player.

I do have realistic expectations as well though which are that you should always expect 10-20% of your squad injured at any given time.  Thats not to say I've never had an injury crisis where I've had 7+ players out its just that it doesn't happen consistently to me like it does with some other users.  In the 1000s of seasons I've played over the last 20 years I probably see an injury crisis once every 20-30 seasons on average.

@Cougar2010 your approach seems like a completely sensible one to me in terms of injury management. Seems quite realistic too. I suspect that your expectation of 10–20% of your squad being injured is somewhat higher than what most players expect, which may be a factor in why there are complaints.

Am I alone in secretly liking it when my players get injured? I find it all too easy to rely on the same guys game in, game out, and injuries force me to give players a chance. I've had a few gems emerge that way who might not have gotten a chance otherwise (kind of like Rashford IRL I guess).

14 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

I've done absolutely nothing different regarding training or how I use players and I'm not having issues at all. Team training on Average with a rest day after a match works just fine. Setting up individual training in addition also makes no difference.

Maybe you were already doing it well in the first place then ;)

I've only done one season so far so it may be just a one off, but that is how it feels to me is all. Like I said, I'm not experiencing anything untoward with injuries, but long term injured players I seem to have to manage a little better than I did in previous years

1 minute ago, gunner86 said:

Maybe you were already doing it well in the first place then ;)

If you mean not doing much, then that's correct. :ackter:

I don't enjoy the training side of things, so I set it up once and forget it exists.

2 minutes ago, Pingdinho said:

Am I alone in secretly liking it when my players get injured?

No, I definitely get that feeling, too, from time to time. Plus, if I have little to no injuries in my squad, I start to get worried I'm not working my players hard enough in training and am wasting potential development.

On 11/2/2016 at 18:49, lpcinder said:

Hi, I'm playing as Arsenal, as I always do, but since the beginning of the season, the injuries have been piling up. I understand injuries are part of modern football, but 10 first team injuries after 3 league games and 2 international games? Isn't that a bit much? I didn't seem to have that problem in last year's edition. Is this a known fact or could it be a bug? Just wondering. 

I am also using Arsenal but I mostly have a fully fit squad throughout the season. Sure, players get injured from time to time but I don't see it as a big issue given that Arsenal has a big squad. I also noticed that most of my injuries occur when my players go out on Internationals (which is inevitable unfortunately).

Now, I do practice the following:

1. I manager friendlies because I've realized that more injuries occur if you let someone else from your staff manage the friendlies.

2. I make sure I have the best fitness and physio staff in the game

3. I never increase training intensity over Average

4. I usually give the day before a game as a rest day, but during packed games one after the other, I switch to rest BEFORE and AFTER games

5. I always gradually bring back injured players by making them play with the reserves (i.e. 45mins first, then 60 mins, then 90 mins, then bring them back to first team)

6. I listen to the fitness test reports (new feature of FM17) wherein my staff inform me of the maximum number of mins they can play

7. I never play a player if they fail the fitness test mentioned above

8. I never play a player with low condition/sharpness (low for me is below 85%)

9. And most importantly, I SELL, yes SELL, my injury prone players (i.e. Welbeck, Wilshere) and only buy players who are NOT injury prone (you can check this using their injury history)

Hope that helps! Good luck!

On 2/11/2016 at 11:49, lpcinder said:

I also play as Arsenal, and have no problems with injuries. The only injured players are Sanchez and Elneny.

Archived