FM17: Liverpool FC - Heavy Metal Football

cezar.sl

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi everyone , 

Just thought i would introduce myself to the thread and share my current short term save with Liverpool before FM 18

Although not a Liverpool fan one of my favourite teams from a tactical point of view was the 2008-2009 (nearly) Liverpool team under benitez.

I'm currently doing a save on FM17 trying to recreate the system , style of play and results of that season but turning a couple of those draws into wins and winning the title. One problem is Liverpool's squad is very different now and it's hard to translate real life tactics into FM using the "proper roles" for players or roles that you think would be a "steven gerrard role" you then use that and you don't get what you were expecting in the match engine. It doesn't make any sense as far as roles go but bare with me in the match engine i actually am getting good results with it not good results as in scoreline but in goals against and not creating millions of chance myself, and if i can be successful with it working in the match engine in this save.. in FM 18 maybe I'll select roles that i believe is what Liverpool had back then and just try to make it work around that.  I have also started up my YouTube channel and made this one of my first series where i go into more detail in audio. If anyone is interested in following let me know!

here are my results so far

59ae9e3c1f00b_Screenshot(27).thumb.png.fdb594f47a9f2f5b385d6eb41437cc53.png

Any tips on that team or a discussion on the 2008-2009 liverpool welcomed for my FM18 save. If i get through my season quick enough i will potentially do a second season on this one with more realistic roles but im sure my results will drop and then the football even though on paper should represent that team more, then wont in the match engine!

ATC

6 hours ago, Alternative View said:

Hi everyone , 

Just thought i would introduce myself to the thread and share my current short term save with Liverpool before FM 18

Although not a Liverpool fan one of my favourite teams from a tactical point of view was the 2008-2009 (nearly) Liverpool team under benitez.

I'm currently doing a save on FM17 trying to recreate the system , style of play and results of that season but turning a couple of those draws into wins and winning the title. One problem is Liverpool's squad is very different now and it's hard to translate real life tactics into FM using the "proper roles" for players or roles that you think would be a "steven gerrard role" you then use that and you don't get what you were expecting in the match engine. It doesn't make any sense as far as roles go but bare with me in the match engine i actually am getting good results with it not good results as in scoreline but in goals against and not creating millions of chance myself, and if i can be successful with it working in the match engine in this save.. in FM 18 maybe I'll select roles that i believe is what Liverpool had back then and just try to make it work around that.  I have also started up my YouTube channel and made this one of my first series where i go into more detail in audio. If anyone is interested in following let me know!

here are my results so far

59ae9e3c1f00b_Screenshot(27).thumb.png.fdb594f47a9f2f5b385d6eb41437cc53.png

Any tips on that team or a discussion on the 2008-2009 liverpool welcomed for my FM18 save. If i get through my season quick enough i will potentially do a second season on this one with more realistic roles but im sure my results will drop and then the football even though on paper should represent that team more, then wont in the match engine!

ATC

Well, you can start by researching how that team from 2008-09 season played under Benitez IRL and then if anyone has tried replicating that on FM. I'm sure I have seen a few threads about it in the Tactics section on these forums. 

Personally, I constantly try to replicate real life tactics into FM and sometimes add my own little twist. My advice is to begin with formation, mentality and team shape. Research and pick analysis and videos from a few games to get an idea about the formation, mentality and team shape that would be the basis for the representation in FM. Only after that you should think about roles and duties for the players. Also, prepare a few variations of the tactic, because I'm sure Benitez didn't use one tactic for the whole season. The most common variations to prepare would be a standard version, one more attacking and one more defensive. The degree of difference would depend on the research you do and the choices you make.

Good luck

1 minute ago, yonko said:

Well, you can start by researching how that team from 2008-09 season played under Benitez IRL and then if anyone has tried replicating that on FM. I'm sure I have seen a few threads about it in the Tactics section on these forums. 

Personally, I constantly try to replicate real life tactics into FM and sometimes add my own little twist. My advice is to begin with formation, mentality and team shape. Research and pick analysis and videos from a few games to get an idea about the formation, mentality and team shape that would be the basis for the representation in FM. Only after that you should think about roles and duties for the players. Also, prepare a few variations of the tactic, because I'm sure Benitez didn't use one tactic for the whole season. The most common variations to prepare would be a standard version, one more attacking and one more defensive. The degree of difference would depend on the research you do and the choices you make.

Good luck

Thanks for the reply Yonko,

Yeah i'm pretty well researched on how that team played in real life I've spent loads of time not only watching that exact team in the year in question, but going back in years after and you're right on formations i can think specifically Chelsea away was a game where they had 2 more like strikers (Gerrard being one of them )  with 2 lines of defence in a pretty low block and very very tight together not allowing any space for anybody in the gap between defence and midfield. He did seem to keep pretty much a variant of a 4-2-3-1 on the whole . My issue is translating it into FM especially when you're using wide players that didn't have pace and weren't really playmakers. I've decided to almost ignore what the roles and duties say and go with what i'm getting in the match engine ( and the players liverpool have ) and the results as far as chances created, chances conceded go. 

Let me know if you do a Liverpool save in 18 I'm sure we can revisit this conversation and i'll have a tactic that represents it better in the tactic screen then hopefully in the match engine too!

I honestly can't wait to see what the squad will be like in FM 18.  Not only the first team but the likes of Woodburn and especially Alexander-Arnold hopefully getting massive CA boosts.  Harry Wilson might be get a boost back up after an amazing season in the Under 23's. 

I really do prefer bringing through the youth at the club rather loaning them out, as evident with my squad of 25 I have been using in my first season;

28ff21ead0ccb5b049a42abf99609448.jpg

Gomez, Lato, Alexander-Arnold, Ejaria, Ojo and Woodburn have all had regular time from the bench and starting spots in cup games, and are all developing very well. 

On September 5, 2017 at 13:00, Alternative View said:

Thanks for the reply Yonko,

Yeah i'm pretty well researched on how that team played in real life I've spent loads of time not only watching that exact team in the year in question, but going back in years after and you're right on formations i can think specifically Chelsea away was a game where they had 2 more like strikers (Gerrard being one of them )  with 2 lines of defence in a pretty low block and very very tight together not allowing any space for anybody in the gap between defence and midfield. He did seem to keep pretty much a variant of a 4-2-3-1 on the whole . My issue is translating it into FM especially when you're using wide players that didn't have pace and weren't really playmakers. I've decided to almost ignore what the roles and duties say and go with what i'm getting in the match engine ( and the players liverpool have ) and the results as far as chances created, chances conceded go. 

Let me know if you do a Liverpool save in 18 I'm sure we can revisit this conversation and i'll have a tactic that represents it better in the tactic screen then hopefully in the match engine too!

I will definitely have a Liverpool save on FM18. I have 3 or 4 currently on FM17.

The current Liverpool squad has much better and different players to what Benitez had in 2008-09 season. So I'm not sure how much you can replicate his style with the current players. 

Having said that, start with what kind of 4-2-3-1 was he using generally. Remember, the formation is the defensive shape. The Roles and Duties is how the formation changes into attack. The Team Shape determines how many players will participate in each phase of the game (defense, attack, transitions).

Was the formation really 4231 or was it more of a 4-4-1-1 and even 4-2-2-1-1? Was Gerrard a AMC or MC? Were Alonso and Mascherano MCs or DMs?

22 hours ago, Sabine said:

I honestly can't wait to see what the squad will be like in FM 18.  Not only the first team but the likes of Woodburn and especially Alexander-Arnold hopefully getting massive CA boosts.  Harry Wilson might be get a boost back up after an amazing season in the Under 23's. 

I really do prefer bringing through the youth at the club rather loaning them out, as evident with my squad of 25 I have been using in my first season;

28ff21ead0ccb5b049a42abf99609448.jpg

Gomez, Lato, Alexander-Arnold, Ejaria, Ojo and Woodburn have all had regular time from the bench and starting spots in cup games, and are all developing very well. 

In addition, I hope that Rhian Brewster, Glen McAuley and Yan Dhanda are rated as good prospects. Woodburn and Arnold will definitely be better. Joe Gomez looks as good as before his injuries IRL, so hopefully he looks nice in FM 18.

On 06/09/2017 at 22:03, yonko said:

In addition, I hope that Rhian Brewster, Glen McAuley and Yan Dhanda are rated as good prospects. Woodburn and Arnold will definitely be better. Joe Gomez looks as good as before his injuries IRL, so hopefully he looks nice in FM 18.

I wouldn't mind having a front three of Woodburn, Brewster and McAuley in the game in five or so seasons, that would be pretty cool. I hope that Gomez gets a sizeable boost considering he's essentially a first team player now.

We got absolutely rolled over on Saturday, it's by far the worst performance since Stoke's mauling of us a couple seasons ago.

15 hours ago, Sabine said:

I wouldn't mind having a front three of Woodburn, Brewster and McAuley in the game in five or so seasons, that would be pretty cool. I hope that Gomez gets a sizeable boost considering he's essentially a first team player now.

We got absolutely rolled over on Saturday, it's by far the worst performance since Stoke's mauling of us a couple seasons ago.

Gomez actually looks better than before his injuries. Yeah, that front line would be awesome indeed. I think SI will boost their CA & attributes a little bit + give them -8 PA. Brewster is the most promising and I can see him get -85 PA.

Yeah, Saturday was tough. The red card changed everything and robbed us of an amazing game. But it was 100% red card, unfortunately, no doubts. Liverpool can't allow 5 goals even with 10 men. Man City took advantage brilliantly. Aguero and Jesus are becoming a deadly tandem. Btw, they outplayed Everton with 1 man down. 

• 2 weeks later...

Have I made a mistake in rejecting a £24million for Daniel Sturridge towards the end of my second season?

Divock Origi was banging in the goals left, right and centre. I only use one striker so sturridge wasn't getting much game time and he requested a transfer. I offered him out, received a bid of £24million and accepted but then Original got a bad injury so I changed my mind and rejected it

I'm now left wondering if I'm likely to ever get a better, more lucrative opportunity to cash in seeing as he'll be 29 at the end of my third season

Is his value likely to increase beyond the £28mill he's worth now and will teams be put off by his age and wages?

On 2017-09-28 at 19:48, MoxeysTheName said:

Have I made a mistake in rejecting a £24million for Daniel Sturridge towards the end of my second season?

Divock Origi was banging in the goals left, right and centre. I only use one striker so sturridge wasn't getting much game time and he requested a transfer. I offered him out, received a bid of £24million and accepted but then Original got a bad injury so I changed my mind and rejected it

I'm now left wondering if I'm likely to ever get a better, more lucrative opportunity to cash in seeing as he'll be 29 at the end of my third season

Is his value likely to increase beyond the £28mill he's worth now and will teams be put off by his age and wages?

Sell him. In my opinion theres very small chances to get those money later on.

3 hours ago, Sloken said:

Sell him. In my opinion theres very small chances to get those money later on.

Lol, going to have to keep him...Just sold Origi to City for 72 million, 2 weeks after he scored in a 3-0 over Utd in the FA Cup Final

Already raised over 400 million in player sales which is just ridiculous but still managed to finish 2nd, reach the last 4 of the Euro Cup and win the FA Cup. Utd won the league and knocked us out the Euro Cup before being beaten in the final by the mighty Stoke City, and we got our revenge in the FA Cup

Got Lemar coming in for 52 million in at the start of season 18/19. Really conflicted about this transfer, Lemar is world class but it'll be shame to drop young Ojo after such a fine breakthrough season

Before the start of season 17/18, I had already sold Lovren, Lucas, Markovic, Milner, Lallana, Can, Firminho, Mane and Coutinho. I wonder how the fans would react to this in real life, would I get lynched?

Tried to sell Mingelot and Ings but there were no takers for the goalie and Ings couldn't stay fit enough to play, let alone be sold

Hey guys and girls,

I'm finding very difficult to play with Liverpool. How do you approach the first season? What's a reasonable prediction? I want to play a direct attacking (or counter attacking) game to take maximum use of Origi, Mané, Firmino and Coutinho. However I've tried to use tactics from others (mainly the ones that Ozil explains in the tactics forum) and my own ideas and I can't pass october or november. The defense just keeps leaking space and goals and I found that terribly annoying and start from the beggining. Their concentration and timing for tackles are absolutely horrendous.

Right now, I've started a new game with Liverpool. I've implemented the tactic from Ozil that recreated the Arsenal's Invincibles. Bought Lindelof from Benfica, Laporte (Romagnoli was my first choice) from Bilbao, Rajkovic (GK) and Darren Fletcher to tutor the youngsters and have some game time in midfield. Sold Lovren (hate him in the game), Emre Can, Sturridge and Ings. This last three didn't suited my plans.

I'm on the second game.  Just lost 2-0 at home with Stoke (a screamer from Shakiri and the striker sneaking away from my central defenders) but won 1-0 at WBA with a solid performance.

I'm interested to hear other opinions and how do you approach the first season. Sometimes this game makes me very mad haha.

5 minutes ago, jukilo said:

Hey guys and girls,

I'm finding very difficult to play with Liverpool. How do you approach the first season? What's a reasonable prediction? I want to play a direct attacking (or counter attacking) game to take maximum use of Origi, Mané, Firmino and Coutinho. However I've tried to use tactics from others (mainly the ones that Ozil explains in the tactics forum) and my own ideas and I can't pass october or november. The defense just keeps leaking space and goals and I found that terribly annoying and start from the beggining. Their concentration and timing for tackles are absolutely horrendous.

Right now, I've started a new game with Liverpool. I've implemented the tactic from Ozil that recreated the Arsenal's Invincibles. Bought Lindelof from Benfica, Laporte (Romagnoli was my first choice) from Bilbao, Rajkovic (GK) and Darren Fletcher to tutor the youngsters and have some game time in midfield. Sold Lovren (hate him in the game), Emre Can, Sturridge and Ings. This last three didn't suited my plans.

I'm on the second game.  Just lost 2-0 at home with Stoke (a screamer from Shakiri and the striker sneaking away from my central defenders) but won 1-0 at WBA with a solid performance.

I'm interested to hear other opinions and how do you approach the first season. Sometimes this game makes me very mad haha.

Spent most of my money in the 1st season buying 17/18 year old wonderkids and finished 6th. I think the only real signings I made were Tyrone Mings,Demirbay from Hoffenheim and an Italian winger called Grifo. I bought Mings as backup to Moreno and Demirbay and Grifo for their set piece abilities. Grifo is also a magnificent winger who kept Mane out of the team. Demirbay was 23 mill, Griffo 13 mill and Ming's only 5.

• 2 weeks later...
On 23.10.2017 at 12:23, MoxeysTheName said:

They fetch a fair amount which is surprising seeing as, in FM17, there is not one decent set piece taker amongst them

Lol, what does this even mean?

Anyone finding any success as LFC in FM18? I'm personally in the beginning of january in my first season, sitting at a respectable 3rd place and have Brentford in the carabao semi final. Crashed and burned in the CL group stages with only 1 point, embarrassing tbh. Rotating between a 4-2(DM)-3-1, 4-2(CM)-3-1 and 4-3-3 depending on the match. Always a striker on support duty and two inside forwards on attack duty. Salah is probably my best performing player, but like last year it's my fullbacks who gets all the ratings. Not giving me as many assists as they did last year though.

Bought:

Angel Correa (£14.25m), Amadou Diawara (£28m+10m), Daniele Rugani (£29m+4m) and a couple of youngsters.

Sold: Markovic (£12.5m), Bogdan (£2m) and Flanno (£12.5m).

3 minutes ago, Tullekunstner said:

Anyone finding any success as LFC in FM18? I'm personally in the beginning of january in my first season, sitting at a respectable 3rd place and have Brentford in the carabao semi final. Crashed and burned in the CL group stages with only 1 point, embarrassing tbh. Rotating between a 4-2(DM)-3-1, 4-2(CM)-3-1 and 4-3-3 depending on the match. Always a striker on support duty and two inside forwards on attack duty. Salah is probably my best performing player, but like last year it's my fullbacks who gets all the ratings. Not giving me as many assists as they did last year though.

Bought:

Angel Correa (£14.25m), Amadou Diawara (£28m+10m), Daniele Rugani (£29m+4m) and a couple of youngsters.

It means that I have sold 32 players and brought in £489m in just under 4 seasons and this is surprising to me as there is not one player in the squad who can take a decent free kick or corner. I brought in £239m in the summer of 2017 alone.

I'm about to win the league in my 4th season as I'm 6 points clear with 2 games to go and 14 goals better off. I'm also in the last 4 of the Euro Cup having reached the Champions Cup final in 2018

have had a quick look around the demo. have to say i think the ratings on the squad are very fair for a change. 

TAA defo got a boost in CA and looks a great prospect as does Woodburn. 

very happy to see that Brewster looks to have a good PA and can be developed. 

i think the squad dynamics might be difficult to work around at the start tho if you plan on selling a lot of the squad players. got questioned by the squad for selling markovic and Flanagan!!

1 hour ago, Staf9 said:

have had a quick look around the demo. have to say i think the ratings on the squad are very fair for a change. 

TAA defo got a boost in CA and looks a great prospect as does Woodburn. 

very happy to see that Brewster looks to have a good PA and can be developed. 

i think the squad dynamics might be difficult to work around at the start tho if you plan on selling a lot of the squad players. got questioned by the squad for selling markovic and Flanagan!!

Haven't got the beta but have seen screenshots and I noticed that Coutinho has received a massive boost in terms of set piece attributes. Is there anybody else like that in the squad or are Liverpool still fairly poor at set pieces?

1 hour ago, MoxeysTheName said:

Haven't got the beta but have seen screenshots and I noticed that Coutinho has received a massive boost in terms of set piece attributes. Is there anybody else like that in the squad or are Liverpool still fairly poor at set pieces?

Trent has gotten one as well, but his were atrocious last year so he's still only on 13. No real quality corner takers and outside of Coutinho the squad is still weak on free-kicks.

20 hours ago, Tullekunstner said:

Trent has gotten one as well, but his were atrocious last year so he's still only on 13. No real quality corner takers and outside of Coutinho the squad is still weak on free-kicks.

we are the worst corner takers in the league. rarely if ever do we beat the first man. i'd actually say our set piece rating is fair enough

Ashamed to say I’ve cheated multiple times on the BETA....Arghhhhh!

As per real life I drew Hoffenheim in the CL playoff. Lost the first leg at home 1-0. Bugger. Never mind I’ll beat them at their place. I’ve played that match about 6 times now, losing every time. I’ve tried different formations, different players...nothing works. Options are limited to several injuries anyway. 

In the league I have 2 wins from 2 beating Burnley and MU. 

Going to play the match again tonight...promised myself whatever happens happens. 😳😂

Hi all, Can anyone post any screenshots of the stats of some of the players from FM18 - I'm desperate to see the main main guys and prospects look.  My new monster rig (after my old one self imploded) is currently being built so I don't have access to the beta.

Has anyone got any idea of how they will set up tactics and roles of players yet??

2 hours ago, gmulv said:

Hi all, Can anyone post any screenshots of the stats of some of the players from FM18 - I'm desperate to see the main main guys and prospects look.  My new monster rig (after my old one self imploded) is currently being built so I don't have access to the beta.

Has anyone got any idea of how they will set up tactics and roles of players yet??

I'm waiting for this also! I hope someone will start a new Liverpool FM18 thread soon...

In my head i'll be playing with a 4-2-3-1 and the 4-3-3 (or 4-1-2-2-1) for my formations. I couldn't get 4-2-3-1 to work the last 2 versions of FM... hope this time will be different 

On 10/31/2017 at 00:57, Tullekunstner said:

Bought:

I am top in  March, though Arsenal have a game in hand over and are two points behind, have won the Caraboa cup and just beat Real Madrid on penalties over two legs in the Champions League first knock out, Jack Butland saved 4, yes all 4 penalties. Though I should have won the game in normal time, missed 3 good chances including Navas saving a penalty.

I play a 4-2-3-1 deep, though it has taken me 6 months to get it working how I want it to and I'm still not sure it's right even though I am doing well. 

Massively overhauled the squad. 

Sold - Wijnaldum, Moreno, Mignolet, Markoivc, Flanagan,  then Firminho, Sturridge, and Klavan in January. 

Bought - Butland, De Light, Tierney, Icardi, Amadou Diawara, then Piotr Zieliński in January as he was listed.

Leon Goretzka is coming on a free in the summer, to join the already pre-arranged transfer for Naby Keita and then I have just agreed to sign Pietro Pellegri for £7.5 million which is a bit silly. 

My defence has been surprisingly strong despite me not getting a main centre-back target (couldn't find who wanted for the right price and De Light was bought more as a prospect).  

Best performing players are probably Salah, Mane, Coutinho, Tierney and Diawara. Most of the goals come from those first 3 and Salah is my top scorer. He's also weirdly playing really well as a winger on the right, even though he is left footed and more suited to being an inside forward there. Mane plays an IF-A on the left, with Countinho the AP-S in the middle. 

Icardi has been a big disappointment, he's got about 1 goal in 2, but barely scrapes a 7 average rating and despite having finishing of 19, misses a lot of big chances. (missed a penalty and 2 1v1s against Real Madrid)

My main issue is that my team lacks Captains, both Henderson and Milner are mainly bench/back up, and aside Counthinho I lack anyone who is good at set pieces, and he's average at corners. 

Alexander-Arnold, Woodburn and Harry Wilson all have very good starting stats and I've got them quite a lot of game time, Arnold is developing nicely into a complete wing-back 

If anyone is struggling I'd stick with it, I drew something like 8 of my first 10 games, takes ages for the players to actually get used to the tactics and listen to you. 

2 hours ago, tajj7 said:

I am top in  March, though Arsenal have a game in hand over and are two points behind, have won the Caraboa cup and just beat Real Madrid on penalties over two legs in the Champions League first knock out, Jack Butland saved 4, yes all 4 penalties. Though I should have won the game in normal time, missed 3 good chances including Navas saving a penalty.

I play a 4-2-3-1 deep, though it has taken me 6 months to get it working how I want it to and I'm still not sure it's right even though I am doing well. 

Massively overhauled the squad. 

Sold - Wijnaldum, Moreno, Mignolet, Markoivc, Flanagan,  then Firminho, Sturridge, and Klavan in January. 

Bought - Butland, De Light, Tierney, Icardi, Amadou Diawara, then Piotr Zieliński in January as he was listed.

Leon Goretzka is coming on a free in the summer, to join the already pre-arranged transfer for Naby Keita and then I have just agreed to sign Pietro Pellegri for £7.5 million which is a bit silly. 

My defence has been surprisingly strong despite me not getting a main centre-back target (couldn't find who wanted for the right price and De Light was bought more as a prospect).  

Best performing players are probably Salah, Mane, Coutinho, Tierney and Diawara. Most of the goals come from those first 3 and Salah is my top scorer. He's also weirdly playing really well as a winger on the right, even though he is left footed and more suited to being an inside forward there. Mane plays an IF-A on the left, with Countinho the AP-S in the middle. 

Icardi has been a big disappointment, he's got about 1 goal in 2, but barely scrapes a 7 average rating and despite having finishing of 19, misses a lot of big chances. (missed a penalty and 2 1v1s against Real Madrid)

My main issue is that my team lacks Captains, both Henderson and Milner are mainly bench/back up, and aside Counthinho I lack anyone who is good at set pieces, and he's average at corners. 

Alexander-Arnold, Woodburn and Harry Wilson all have very good starting stats and I've got them quite a lot of game time, Arnold is developing nicely into a complete wing-back 

If anyone is struggling I'd stick with it, I drew something like 8 of my first 10 games, takes ages for the players to actually get used to the tactics and listen to you. 

Is Ojo still as good as last year? He was described as a wonderkid

To begin with in FM17, I sent Wilson on loan and used Ojo until I bought Lemar for £52m and he fell out with me due to lack of playing time and my refusal to sell him to Spurs

12 minutes ago, MoxeysTheName said:

To begin with in FM17, I sent Wilson on loan and used Ojo until I bought Lemar for £52m and he fell out with me due to lack of playing time and my refusal to sell him to Spurs

He has good starting stats, very good in fact though not sure he is rated as a wonderkid but the coaches think he has 4 star potential.

I actually posted in the Liverpool data thread that I thought the starting stats seemed a little high for both him and Wilson but the Liverpool researcher said he'd tempered this with physical stats, like strength, stamina etc. where they might struggle more in the senior game and this seems to be the case. Ojo has not done great on loan in the championship.

If I remember later I'll do some screenshots. 

9 hours ago, tajj7 said:

I'm facing this issue now as well. I want to sell Milner, but I need someone with leadership qualities and I need more homegrown players (especially from club, I'm going to hold on to Gomez, Trent and Woodburn like my life depended on it). I bought Malang Sarr in january as well, and he'll become home grown in a couple of years, so that's good. Currently in my second summer window, and even after my turnover I still don't have a great set piece taker. Bought Özil as well as Sarr in january, and he's decent at corners, but nothing more. Sold Klavan and Bogdan.

All in all I feel like I did pretty well in my first season. Had a horrible FA cup and CL campaign, but won the carapaowpaow cup and came second in the league. Was certain I was going to manage to win it for a while, but in my last 8 games I only won three, drew three and lost two, so Chelsea beat me on the finish line

This summer I'm having a pretty big overhaul. I'm having problems selling my players, so a fair few players are leaving for less than I'd hope.

Out: Sturridge (£22m), Ings (£7.5m), Wijnaldum (£20.5m), Matip (£32.5m), Ox (£15m), Ejaria (£3.5m), Grujic (£11.5m+£1.25m), Karius (£15m), Awoniyi (£3m+£0.2m), Allan (£5.75m), Mignolet (£9m)

Inn: Keita, Malcom (£17m+£9m), Donnarumma (£28m+£20m), Laporte (£58m)

Looking to bring in a striker as well (any tips anyone? Preferably I want someone to play as a complete forward on support). I also want to sell one offensive player, but I'll have to wait and see what bids comes in as I don't want to transfer list anyone. Mostly playing a 4-2-3-1 with IF(a) on both sides and CMs, and feel like I'm overloaded in the three positions behind the striker while slightly lacking quality options at ST (Firmino had 8 goals in 26(9) games last season). Right now I have Firmino, Woodburn, Origi, Salah, Mane, Correa, Malcom, Özil, Coutinho and Lallana fighting for the 4 forward positions.

14 minutes ago, Tullekunstner said:

I'm facing this issue now as well. I want to sell Milner, but I need someone with leadership qualities and I need more homegrown players (especially from club, I'm going to hold on to Gomez, Trent and Woodburn like my life depended on it). I bought Malang Sarr in january as well, and he'll become home grown in a couple of years, so that's good. Currently in my second summer window, and even after my turnover I still don't have a great set piece taker. Bought Özil as well as Sarr in january, and he's decent at corners, but nothing more. Sold Klavan and Bogdan.

All in all I feel like I did pretty well in my first season. Had a horrible FA cup and CL campaign, but won the carapaowpaow cup and came second in the league. Was certain I was going to manage to win it for a while, but in my last 8 games I only won three, drew three and lost two, so Chelsea beat me on the finish line

This summer I'm having a pretty big overhaul. I'm having problems selling my players, so a fair few players are leaving for less than I'd hope.

Out: Sturridge (£22m), Ings (£7.5m), Wijnaldum (£20.5m), Matip (£32.5m), Ox (£15m), Ejaria (£3.5m), Grujic (£11.5m+£1.25m), Karius (£15m), Awoniyi (£3m+£0.2m), Allan (£5.75m), Mignolet (£15m)

Looking to bring in a striker as well (any tips anyone? Preferably I want someone to play as a complete forward on support). I also want to sell one offensive player, but I'll have to wait and see what bids comes in as I don't want to transfer list anyone. Mostly playing a 4-2-3-1 with IF(a) on both sides and CMs, and feel like I'm overloaded in the three positions behind the striker while slightly lacking quality options at ST (Firmino had 8 goals in 26(9) games last season). Right now I have Firmino, Woodburn, Origi, Salah, Mane, Correa, Malcom, Özil, Coutinho and Lallana fighting for the 4 forward positions.

In FM17 Andrea Belotti and Moussa Dembele did well for me. I liked Dembele's ability to run with the ball

4 minutes ago, MoxeysTheName said:

In FM17 Andrea Belotti and Moussa Dembele did well for me. I liked Dembele's ability to run with the ball

I've been looking at Belotti, will try for him. A bit one-dimensional for my system, but hopefully his quality will make up for it. Bayern is in for him as well though, so we'll see if I can manage to snatch him from them!

29 minutes ago, Tullekunstner said:

I've been looking at Belotti, will try for him. A bit one-dimensional for my system, but hopefully his quality will make up for it. Bayern is in for him as well though, so we'll see if I can manage to snatch him from them!

I got him for 36m but only because he was on the transfer list. I only bought him because I'd sold Origi for 72m and Sturridge for 24 which meant I was left with no 1st team striker when Dembele got injured just before January. I use them both as deep lying strikers on support but only use one at time.

Won the league in my 4th season and am in the Euro Cup final with Dembele currently sitting on 40 goals which is not bad for a player who only cost 8m.

I bought a young player from Forest called Ben Brereton and after 4 Yeats at the club, he looks better than Woodburn having been tutored by Belotti

2 hours ago, Tullekunstner said:

Out: Sturridge (£22m), Ings (£7.5m), Wijnaldum (£20.5m), Matip (£32.5m), Ox (£15m), Ejaria (£3.5m), Grujic (£11.5m+£1.25m), Karius (£15m), Awoniyi (£3m+£0.2m), Allan (£5.75m), Mignolet (£15m)

Those are similar to the sales I made I think in prices, you won't get more for Sturridge than that as I think his injury proneness puts clubs off.  I only got £19 million for him, in fact I think you got a lot more or most of those players than I did.

I sold £140 million and brought in £192 million.

Can't recommend Icardi, he's really struggled as a lone striker whatever the role I give him. 

Surprised you sold Matip, aside the odd game he;s been very good for me and has very good all round stats. 

2 hours ago, Tullekunstner said:

Two issues with Belotti put me of him, first of his adaptability is low so they said he'd struggle to adapt, secondly his vision is 8, so he won't see many through balls for the likes of Salah and Mane to run onto. 

6 hours ago, MoxeysTheName said:

Realised I got Ojo confused with Ovie Ejara.

Anyway here are some screenshots of the better young players -

Mfqqkjh.jpg

HiTCP0L.jpg

q9GFXdc.jpg

jMeRZvA.jpg

1UwlHMz.jpg

rNf4oN6.jpg

1 minute ago, tajj7 said:

Those are similar to the sales I made I think in prices, you won't get more for Sturridge than that as I think his injury proneness puts clubs off.  I only got £19 million for him, in fact I think you got a lot more or most of those players than I did.

Can't recommend Icardi, he's really struggled as a lone striker whatever the role I give him. 

Surprised you sold Matip, aside the odd game he;s been very good for me and has very good all round stats. 

Two issues with Belotti put me of him, first of his adaptability is low so they said he'd struggle to adapt, secondly his vision is 8, so he won't see many through balls for the likes of Salah and Mane to run onto. 

Realised I got Ojo confused with Ovie Ejara.

Anyway here are some screenshots of the better young players -

Mfqqkjh.jpg

HiTCP0L.jpg

q9GFXdc.jpg

jMeRZvA.jpg

1UwlHMz.jpg

rNf4oN6.jpg

Thanks for interesting info, really whets the appetite for FM18

6 hours ago, tajj7 said:

Oh, good to hear I wasn't totally robbed then. I ****ed up with Migs' fee though, I only got £9m, not 15.

Matip has been decent, but honestly Lovren was putting in better performances and Matip wanted to go to Barca, so I didn't really mind. With Rugani and Laporte I think it's an upgrade. I actually want to sell Lovren as well though, as Sarr and Gomez is looking very good and need game time, but I'm not going to sell him unless anyone comes in with a decent offer. Don't want him transfer listed as I want to keep his morale up so he's ready to go in case of injuries/suspensions. I can see him getting fed up with lack of playing time after a while, so I guess I'll just wait for it and sell him when he starts complaining.

The highlighted part is my biggest gripe with Belotti, especially since Salah was my top goalscorer last season. But I got him now, so I'll make the most of it and maybe tinker a bit with my tactics if things isn't working out. I have plenty of creative players in the middle of the park to spray those passes passes into space for Salah/Mane.

I kept Mingolet and first season was awesome; Woodburn first class and I play 3 at the back so got van dyke and koibally and then sold Mane for an upfront £98M.

also got some youngsters coming in and I got Pellegri and he is scoring for fun in the 18’s and 23’s.

won league by one point, league cup and fa cup and had Spurs in champions league but game has now frozen twice so I am a bit miffed but it is the beta and I would not have carried it on when the game came out.

Enjoying this at the moment but seems buggy but hopefully all fixed for 10th.

6 hours ago, Tullekunstner said:

The highlighted part is my biggest gripe with Belotti, especially since Salah was my top goalscorer last season. But I got him now, so I'll make the most of it and maybe tinker a bit with my tactics if things isn't working out. I have plenty of creative players in the middle of the park to spray those passes passes into space for Salah/Mane.

Well, we're only two games into the season, but I gotta say Belotti looks like the real deal so far.

59fbcfa4a49ae_PremierLeague_OverviewProfile.thumb.png.efffe73a89f84e51b11909e2d27aebff.png

Considering last year where my strikers were Firmino (7 goals in 20{6} league games), Sturridge (1 in 6{5}), Ings (3 in 6{4}) and at times Correa (6 in 9{10}), Belotti looks exactly like what I were hoping for. Mane with 2 goals and 2 asissts immensely important as well. First game was Man City at home and second was Norwich away, Belotti got 2 goals in each (2-1 and 2-5 respectively)

I won the league, mainly cos Arsenal through it away more than me winning it, they were level on points with a game in hand with 5 games to go and suddenly ended 6 points adrift. Even then I lost to them away and we went into the last game level on points, I had a frustrating draw away to relegated Brighton despite battering them but Arsenal somehow lost to West Hame at home 4-1.

Barcelona knocked me out in the Champs League semis, very annoying because I battered them at home, hit the woodwork 5 times and only won 1-0. Then took the lead at the Nou Camp, missed two more good chances and hit the post twice more, but Dembele scored a 35 yard worldie, then Digne scored scored a free kick and another long shots before Mascherano tucked one in from a corner so I lost 4-2 despite outplaying them in both legs and having about 3 times the chances they did. 

I have a £121 million transfer budget for the new season, which seems a little much considering we are about to sign the £65 million Keita. 

People in the second season, how are you using Keita?  

Well, Belotti has proven to be the missing piece my team needed. Holy hell, what a goalscorer.

59fcba99ab8f3_AndreaBelotti_ReportsForm.thumb.png.0dd4d0405555b40dd7b67c01ef58d902.png

The highlighted City game is our first competitive.

10 hours ago, tajj7 said:

I won the league, mainly cos Arsenal through it away more than me winning it, they were level on points with a game in hand with 5 games to go and suddenly ended 6 points adrift. Even then I lost to them away and we went into the last game level on points, I had a frustrating draw away to relegated Brighton despite battering them but Arsenal somehow lost to West Hame at home 4-1.

Barcelona knocked me out in the Champs League semis, very annoying because I battered them at home, hit the woodwork 5 times and only won 1-0. Then took the lead at the Nou Camp, missed two more good chances and hit the post twice more, but Dembele scored a 35 yard worldie, then Digne scored scored a free kick and another long shots before Mascherano tucked one in from a corner so I lost 4-2 despite outplaying them in both legs and having about 3 times the chances they did. 

I have a £121 million transfer budget for the new season, which seems a little much considering we are about to sign the £65 million Keita. 

People in the second season, how are you using Keita?  

Oh wow I only got like £63m or something after finishing second.

So far I've mostly used Keita as a RPM, but when I play Mane at RW, I change it around a bit and use Keita as a Mezzala and Mane as a winger (attack) instead of IF. Here's my standard tactic:

59fcbb88cb41c_Liverpool_Overview.thumb.png.65d0a121494276e0e5c061949993f514.png

Been playing the beta with Liverpool and going alright.

Started out trying to establish a 4-3-3 but it clearly wasn't going to work so I'm in a 4-2-3-1 now and sitting top of the league just near the end of January. I typically can beat lesser teams but struggle with big teams I've noticed.

Although I just agreed to sell Sturridge  (his terrible finishing annoyed me too much) and Barca bid 85M for Mane + 20% of next sale. So I couldn't say no.

Got Goretzka and Bernard coming in on frees next season too.

3 games left in the league and we are top by 5 points. And now I have had 3 players come and ask for new contracts. Emre Can literally signed one like 6 months ago and gets pissed when I say no and then Adam Lallana does the same. I will be selling both of them now just for attempting to try and ruin morale before these important games.

Also my last 3 games are Arsenal, City, United. Hows that for a run in.

Archived