FM17: Liverpool FC - Heavy Metal Football

cezar.sl

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Second season and cruising, Origi is best in the world, Woodburn has been fully trained as his AMC - SS. They are working well together.

Firmino eats the pine for breakfast, lunch and tea..

Mane sucks for me, so signed Berardi.

Coutinho is going ok..

Signed all decent free agents end of first season, so Witsel, M'Vila and Berinho and some other..

Cashed in on most towards end of second to make some nice profit.

I struggle with Coutinho too, he plays so bad I would drop him if I had another option on the left! (Got Lincoln coming soon)

He just seems to shoot as soon as he gets the ball, no matter where he is on the pitch!

That was as an inside forward, however, i played him in a few matches as a wide midfielder and he played much better apart from spooning a sitter!

Mane on the other hand has been excellent for me, as has Milner, Can and Firmino has been solid, too

Started again this time using 3 tactics the 4-3-3 counter a attacking one when I need to score a quick goal with 20 mins to go & a defensive when I want to preserve a lead with 10 mins to go no needs in Windows 1 will sign ONLY youth & develop them & maybe 1 big signing a year 

May 2018, Season has just finished.
Won EPL, EFL, ECC, FA Cup, ECS..
Won it all!!

Origi (Played as Complete Forward)
Games: 58
Goals: 55
Assists: 18
Avg Rating: 7.66

Woodburn (Played as AMC - Shadow Striker)
Games: 42
Goals: 21
Assists: 13
Avg Rating: 7.31

9 hours ago, eastley said:

Won it all!!

Wow!

What tactics were you using? Formation, positions, TI ☺

Won it all!!

Thats great, well done, may i ask how many goals you scored in all competitions ?

11 hours ago, eastley said:

Won it all!!

Can you post Woodburn please. Really interested to see how he looks with some development.

Hi guys, thinking of starting a long term save as Liverpool as I like to start with a good team just outside of the top 4 and make them into European kings, Liverpool are a perfect choice for this! I always turn off the first transfer window so be no major changes until January! 

Main question is, does anyone make any drastic changes to the coaching staff or are they pretty good to start with?? 

thanks in advance

33 minutes ago, Brads-Wigan said:

Hi guys, thinking of starting a long term save as Liverpool as I like to start with a good team just outside of the top 4 and make them into European kings, Liverpool are a perfect choice for this! I always turn off the first transfer window so be no major changes until January! 

Main question is, does anyone make any drastic changes to the coaching staff or are they pretty good to start with?? 

thanks in advance

I normally change most of the staff. I kept the under 18s manager though, and under 23s one (can't remember) but kept some scouts and the GK coach and assistant, although don't think I'd use him for second season. 

On 11/20/2016 at 20:11, Liverpoolfan said:

Hardly got much out of him either sadly, I want him to be like you say 'boss' but it isn't happening i hope in my second season he'll come better but he's avg rating is below 7.

I play the same as dannysheard but instead of a CF (s) i play a Treq uptop with Mané as the Treq. Coutinho, Firmino and Lallana have been amazing for me.

Has anyone had luck with Coutinho? I see other people are having the same problem as me....

• Does he play better in the AMC position rather than AML?
  • Is he best as a IF or AP?
  • Does 'shoot less' PI help?
  • Can he unlearn the PPM 'shoot from distance'?

I love him in real life but on this game he's not working :(

4 hours ago, Nazdroid3000 said:

Has anyone had luck with Coutinho? I see other people are having the same problem as me....

He's desperate to go to Spurs in my game...

8 hours ago, Nazdroid3000 said:

1) Never tried him there in any major period of time since I tend to use Firmino there, but when I have used him there due to injury and the like, he's been okay but nothing amazing.

2) Only used him as IF as AML, with limited success. May have to try AP at some point though.

3) I tried that too. A little less shots but seems like his PPM overrides the PI a lot of the time.

I struggled with him as IF for a while now, but tried something different yesterday and played him deeper - wide midfielder (attack) which was much improved.

1 hour ago, birkelse said:

He could  be a good player in the future , he get his first match on the last day of Premier League. He   was in the youth intake. What did you think ? 

Youth%20intake_zps8trwwsc4.jpg

He looks to be a very tidy player. Would imagine he will be very useful, especially since Gomez has been downgraded on '17 :(

I should have my first youth intake tonight, so will be hoping for someone like that!

Smashing the transfer record on my save by paying 110,000,000 Euros (40 up front + 70 over 48 months) for Dele Alli in January 2017! I'm nuts, aren't I?:D That's how badly I want him on my team. He was my favorite player on FM16 and was always a monster as RPM on 3 different saves (with Tottenham, Liverpool and Barcelona). He looks even better this edition and I intend on using him the same way.

Also going for Charlie Taylor as rotation player (though accepting back up role in the contract negotiations :D) for the left side. Will cost me 8,000,000 Euros straight up + 30% from profit sell on. I suppose I can wait and get him for free, but I need someone now. Tried Gaya of course but Valencia won't accept anything short of astronomical fee and I ain't paying crazy money for fullback no matter how good he is (Dele Alli is a whole different matter).

Moreno has been injured for the last 6-7 weeks with shin splits, but he is close to returning. Milner has been disappointing and I have actually used Klavan there who has done very well, which might save his place on my squad for now. But Milner has got to go - useless and high wages - if I can only trick someone to buy him......

Still keeping an eye on a few players in my shortlist for future transfers at some point, most of them the usual suspects:

Rugani, Romagnoli, Riedwald, Bazoer, Sessegnon (tried buying him, Fulham accepted a nicely structured deal, but player/agent refused to negotiate contract stating he would prefer to continue his development there!), Sidibe, Rossiter, Will Hughes, Eric Dier, Bernardeschi (looks excellent, Real M want him too though)

I'm top of the league at the moment by 12 points I think. Still haven't lost a game but I have two draws. I'm just about to play a game on January 2 away to Man United. Bad timing of this game as most of the squad is pretty tired since we played a game on December 31. But most of the starting players I kept fresh for this game. I'll see what happens, to be continued.....

9 hours ago, MrMungo said:

1) Never tried him there in any major period of time since I tend to use Firmino there, but when I have used him there due to injury and the like, he's been okay but nothing amazing.

2) Only used him as IF as AML, with limited success. May have to try AP at some point though.

3) I tried that too. A little less shots but seems like his PPM overrides the PI a lot of the time.

I struggled with him as IF for a while now, but tried something different yesterday and played him deeper - wide midfielder (attack) which was much improved.

For me he was best as left wing AP (S), sold for 110 after agitating for two years for a move to Madrid.  Replaced by Insigne for 37 million and can't say he has been missed, but he averaged 7.3 or better each season 

Would someone be able to help/advise me with my tactic please. I really struggle to score goals goals, most my games end 0-0 or 1-1. I play 433, with controlled mentality and fluid team shape.

My team instructions are:

Normal Tempo

Narrow Width

Slightly Higher Defensive Line

Closing Down More

Prevent Short GK Distribution

Use Tighter Marking

Play out of Defence

Mixed Passing

Be More Expressive

Look for Overlap

GL (D) Karius - distribute to centre backs, roll out, quick distribution 

FB (SU) Clyne - 

CD (CO) Matip - Close down more

CD (DE) Lovern - Close down more

FB (AT) Moreno - stay wider, run with ball

CM (SU) Henderson - close down more

AP (AT) Lallana) - close down more, get further forward

DLP (D) Can - close down more

W (AT) Mane - close down more

IF (SU) Coutinho - close down more, get further forward, roam from position, sit narrow

F9 (SU) Firmino - close down more, roam from position

On 20/11/2016 at 20:09, A Double K said:
12 hours ago, Davey Boy said:

Does anyone else think Joel Matip is massively underrated in this game? He is so much more composed and concentrated in real life.

I'd agree stat wise he doesn't look as good as his real life form suggests. The Liverpool researcher said that the Schalke researcher would have given him those stats, so you can expect him to receive a decent boost in the December update (I think its Dec anyway).

Oh man...

I have played 4 games less than anyone else due to fixture congestion, I have so many injuries and tired players. Origi has been missing for 2 or so months, Woodburn has been main striker, he is 19, lol.

Firmino contract is up in 19 months, he hardly get's a game so might let him go in Jan, I also got the defensive Llorente for nothing, but he can't get a game, should cash in on him too.
Berahino, Lingard and Mane also not playing, can get a few coin there if I chose too.

On 20/11/2016 at 20:09, A Double K said:

ctly. Tempted to sell Lallana and Firminho and keep Coutinho at the end of the season...

Spurs are like that on my save, just beating everyone - although I managed to draw 2-2 with them recently, although we should have won! 

Berahino has a tough personality to deal with, had him for one season before replacing him. He is the only player so far in my save to say he is happy to sit in the reserves to collect his wage. I have bought Troy Deeney (top scorer in my save in both season 1 & 2) ) and have Woodburn and Firmino who can play there effectively. 

Woodburn is developing along well but seems to be disposed so easily still when I play him.

I have been able to sign big names for loads of cash because I have been able to work the market for major profits.

Witsel, purchased for Free, sold for 14m.
Lingard for free, sold for 21.5m.
Berahino for 3m, sold for 18m.
M'Vila for Free, sold for 5m.
Muniain for Free, sold for 20m.
Castillejo for 13m, sold for 20m.
Llorente for 8.25m, sold for 15.25m.

89.5m in profit from these alone..

All this was done within 12mths, so from Summer window to Summer window Maximum.

Anyone tried bringing through the kids at Liverpool? I must have started 10 different Liverpool saves with FM17 but I got fed up with always going down the same route, buying the same players, having the same game. So I started again and set myself a few rules:

• the only established players I'm allowed to sign must have been trained in England
  • no signings of any foreign players, unless they can become home grown at club within 3 years (18yrs old maximum)
  • all reasonable bids for current foreign players to be accepted NO MATTER WHO is bid for (that means Coutinho as well)
  • as soon as a player is sold, a youngster is to be promoted to the first team to replace him, or a home grown player is to be bought

It's going really well so far. I have to say that I holidayed the first season of the game before taking over Liverpool on 1st June 2017; I usually do this anyway but for this new way of playing I wanted all the loanees back without editing the database or using the in-game editor.

So far I'm at March 2018, a single point off top (Arsenal), in the FA Cup quarter finals against Crystal Palace, and the Euro Cup 2nd knockout round against Shakhtar. Honestly having such a good game that I'm madly in love with FM again.

I've sold Moreno, Firmino, Can, Matip, Lallana, Karius, Ings, Wisdom, Klavan (I do occasionally sell HG players as well). Wijnaldum and Markovic are out on loan as I couldn't find buyers but hopefully the summer will see them move on when teams are more actively willing to buy players.

I've bought 15 players, almost all teenagers from English clubs but I also spent big on Ward-Prowse, Joe Hart, and a decent fee for Charlie Taylor. I bought Ronaldo Vieira from Leeds and Leonardo da Silva-Lopes from Peterborough who will both be home grown at club in a couple of years.

Ryan Kent is, at only 21yrs old, an established Premier League player already and is having a monumental season. He keeps Sadio Mané out of the team and is starting to attract the attention of big European teams.

Ben Woodburn has scored in the League, FA Cup, League Cup, Euro Cup, and U21 European Championships; his ability is skyrocketing and Sturridge is feeling neglected. Also attracting attention.

19yr old Ronaldo Vieira is my first choice DLP in a 4-1-2-3 wide formation. Lucas is surplus to requirements. Vieira is genuinely outstanding.

Sheyi Ojo has broke into the first team and will permanently replace Coutinho who is just terrible every chance he gets.

Dayot Upamecano was bought by Klopp but because he will be home grown in 2 more years I am keeping him. He is first choice CB alongside Sakho.

Marko Grujic is the Premier League's leading player in rating and assists and I will be devastated to see him go, but if I receive a genuinely good offer I will accept it.

In the youth intake on 28th February I got a young Welsh striker through who is already good enough (attribute wise) to start a Premier League game. I'm very excited about him.

So that's the gist of it. I have 14 Englishmen in my first team squad so far (more than half) and have no trouble registering home grown players for continental competition. I named a couple of largely unknown kids (Vieira & Kent) in my first league game away at Chelsea and watched as the young winger scored both goals in an amazingly fearless performance - it's just went on from then. In summer I plan to get rid of at least Lovren, Coutinho, Mané, Leiva, and Mignolet. I have youngsters out gaining first team experience this season who will be ready to replace those players in the first team squad next season. Genuinely in love with FM again.

A tough first season. I couldn't really get the best out of the team. Tried a few different tactics (4-2-3-1, 4-1-2-2-1, 4-1-3-2, 4-4-2) and just struggled to get it to work. I was always strong in some areas but woeful in attack (Sturridge + Coutinho hang your heads in shame!!!).

In the end, I settled on one tactic, which I felt would work the best, and started the long process of moulding the players into the tactic.

Arsenal won the league comfortably, it was a narrow 4 way battle for 2nd. Unfortunately, some silly losses earlier on in the season came back to haunt me, along with some injuries at end of season, and finished 4th, missing out on third by goal difference (I blame you, Sturridge - 3 goals all season!!!!!!!!)

So the transfer window opens, and it gets interesting!

I finally managed to get something out of Coutinho towards the end of last season, he scored some goals and was rating well into the 7.00s after a dreadful start.

Then Real Madrid started being annoying (in Jun 2017), and in the end, I couldn't knock back 76 million. 60 I could but 76...was just too much to say no to.

Sturridge went aswell (to West Ham) for 31 million I think it was. He had scored 3 goals all season and none since December. And was quite frankly disgraceful!

And Wijnaldum - decent player, but was just a rotation player, and he was starting to whine a bit due to lack of games.

Klavan went too. Didn't get much at all (£3m), but knew if I didn't sell him, he would just end up leaving on a free in the not so distant future.

Just before the start of the new season, Man City unsettled Clyne and had to sell him too, sadly. My favourite player on FM16 but doesn't seem so prolific on '17, so whilst I was very reluctant, I was hopeful Flanagan would be okay to step up...

Far more than I was expecting to sell. Don't think I ever had that much interest in my players in '16.

Whilst not pre-medidated I did end up buying a fair few players from Spurs (they shouldn't be challenging as much next season!)

Picked up Eric Dier (40m), Dele Alli (43m) and Kyle Walker (25m) from Spurs.

Antonio Rudiger from Roma for what I think was a good buy @ £8m.

My biggest buy was Mahrez from Leicester for £43.5m.

Lincoln was purchased at the start of last season, and currently trying to shape him into a Coutinho clone without the endless long shots!

I thought I had spent more than enough myself, then Arsenal went out and bought Dybala for £130 million!!!

Finding it hard to get a save going so I've decided to go back to the 4-2-3-1 tactic I used with success in FM 16  my goal is to get this great club back to the glory days of the 80s wont sign anyone in season 1 will change most of my staff to get the team I want 

@MrMungo  I'm having a similar experience with Sturridge and Coutinho.

Coutinho I don't quite understand, he's being played in his favoured position and role yet he's utter pump every time he plays. I've tried all avenues of praising and criticising and having faith... makes no difference. He's still very highly rated and will sell in the coming summer for big money. Sheyi Ojo is perfectly ready to step up.

Sturridge is another matter altogether. I think because of his low determination that once he gets into a funk, it's virtually impossible to get him out of it. How embarrassing must it be for him that he's fluffing easy chances against relegation cannon fodder, only to be replaced by an 18yr old kid who immediately waltzes around the defence and scores a screamer to show him how it's done? He usually sells for big money too so he will be following Coutinho out the exit.

43 minutes ago, ..Valhalla.. said:

@MrMungo  I'm having a similar experience with Sturridge and Coutinho.

Coutinho I don't quite understand, he's being played in his favoured position and role yet he's utter pump every time he plays. I've tried all avenues of praising and criticising and having faith... makes no difference. He's still very highly rated and will sell in the coming summer for big money. Sheyi Ojo is perfectly ready to step up.

Sturridge is another matter altogether. I think because of his low determination that once he gets into a funk, it's virtually impossible to get him out of it. How embarrassing must it be for him that he's fluffing easy chances against relegation cannon fodder, only to be replaced by an 18yr old kid who immediately waltzes around the defence and scores a screamer to show him how it's done? He usually sells for big money too so he will be following Coutinho out the exit.

From watching many of the games, the problem I think there is with Coutinho is that he seems to go for glory all the time. He gets the ball, couple of strides forward, couple of strides to the right, and then shoots. He doesn't matter where he is on the pitch, or who is with him, he just shoots, shoots, shoots!

In his defence, he did score a screamer in a 1-0 win for me at some point last season. However, his 5094 other long shots were all either miles too high, or wide, or were so bad it ended up a throw-in for my opponent.

I tried giving him individual instructions to shoot less, and whilst there was a small improvement, it wasn't much. It was only when I moved him to Wide Midfield (attack), that his performance increased slightly. I also made sure he wasn't taking free kicks, which seemed to help his rating marginally.

I just think Sturridge is a stroppy git on here, so was quite pleased to get rid of him! Low determination is a very valid point though. I remember on '16, he would get into awful slumps for 6 months at a time! He would then start the next season on fire, get injured within 3 games, and then the slump would return!

Both are hard work!

Hey guys!

Started a save yesterday with Liverpool, my 2nd fav team. Currently top of the league in the beginning of November. The initial idea was to play attacking football with a great deal of expression, using Ozil recent advice on his thread. Started well with a win over United and a win away at Stoke but didn't quite like the way we defended. After that, 2 consecutive defeats at the hands of Arsenal and West Ham (away and home, respectively), I decided to play more negative/reactive football (Mourinho/Simeone). The idea is still evolving to a more expansive football but I feel that the team is not ready yet. Also, I was playing Coutinho on the wing and he wasn't playing at his full maximum.

So yeah, after those changes and 7 games more, I didn't lost again and only suffered 1 goal. Including a 2-1 win over Chelsea at home and a 2-0 at City. I've had moments of good fun playing this way. The tough fixtures are all behind me so I hope to get more points in the upcoming months until January. Arsenal knocked me out of League cup though. Rotated a bit and they scored first and gave me my own poison.

Players wise, I've promoted Trenton, Gomez and Kane. The 3 had a decent start of the season with regular appearences and valuable game time. Hope to continue this way. The downside is that players that I count on like Klavan, Wijnaldum and Lallana are complaining for more game time. Let's see what I can get for them in the squad.

Transfers wise, I've sold Sakho and Emre and also loan Ings. Brought only Riedewald and Rajkovic but he didn't get the work permit so I loaned him out. 

This has been fun until now. I've regained my joy to play FM again. Hope to continue like this in the upcoming months! 

Cheers

Despite constantly playing youngsters throughout the entire season, in every single match (and I mean youngsters; from 17yrs old and up), my board confidence in playing youngsters remains on 50% and they are "reserving judgement on your willingness to hand out opportunities to the club's young players..."

Despite signing 14 young players from English clubs; 11 Englishmen, 2 Portuguese and 1 Irish (plus a single 17yr old foreign import from Vallarenga), my domestic player bias has dropped to 45%.

Just another couple of irritating and poorly implemented features in this year's game. Sigh...

1st season report: 3rd in the League, FA Cup winner (beat West Ham 2-1 in the final), Euro Cup runner-up (lost 1-0 to Inter Milan in the final).

Arsenal Champions, Spurs 2nd, Liverpool 3rd, Chelsea 4th, Man United 5th (lol), Man City 6th.

Ryan Kent really has turned out brilliantly and is absolutely first choice on the wings ahead of far more experienced players. Vieira has been a rock in DLP. Despite his low composure and concentration, Upamecano has been sensational in defence. Grujic won player of the year and is a total beast. Young Woodburn scored in every available competition which has got to be some kind of record - he will permanently replace a frustrating Sturridge next year. Sheyi Oji impressed when he played and will be gradually introduced over the coming season to take over from a certain-to-leave Coutinho. I have a 19yr old Irish CB who I'm convinced has a PA of 200; he cost me £20m from Nott'm Forest and is attracting the attention of practically every club in Europe. He will take over from Lovren next season.

Goals next season: somehow stop players being nervous and actually win the bloody league. The kids were motivated, the senior players were the nervous ones. So frustrating.

On 11/28/2016 at 04:11, ..Valhalla.. said:

Anyone tried bringing through the kids at Liverpool?

I've been doing it slowly.  I'm in my 2nd season and Kent is slowly becoming an important player in the team.  Woodburn is on loan in the Championship and is tearing it up for Rotherham and after a couple of tutoring sessions I just sent Alexander-Arnold on loan to a Championship side.  I'm playing a 4-4-1-1 and Iong-term I'm thinking that Woodbur is going to be a great AM-A or SS in the am role.  I'm planning on selling Clyne next season and using Alexander-Arnold as my backup rb with Pedro Pereira (wonderkid I bought from Sampdoria...he is amazing) as my starting rb.  Gomez is a backup across the back line and although I don't think he's ever going to be amazing, he'll provide great cover to all 3 positions.  I don't know if Ojo is gonna make it with us.  I've sent him on loan both years and despite plenty of playing time, he's not developing as I'd hoped.  I'll probably bring him back next year and tutor him and see if he develops.  We're currently destroying the EPL with virtually the same starting 11 as the real Liverpool (Donnarumma is the only 1st 11 player that I've bought, but I sold most of the rotation players and bought players such as Pulisic, Bentacur, De Vries, Thiago Maia, Pereira, Niklas Sule, Balde Keita and a bunch of promising youngsters).  Branagan also looks like he could be a backup and is currently part of the 1st team.   Also, Origi is killing it in my save.  He's the undisputed 1st choice striker as a CF-s.  

Just now, jakem016 said:

Iong-term I'm thinking that Woodbur is going to be a great AM-A or SS in the am role.  

I am in my 3rd Season, Woodburn is 100% suited to the AM-SS role, and is brilliant sitting behind Origi.. I have Coutinho on the left and Berardi on the right, those front 4 are chaos to control for any side.

Origi just put 5 past Arsenal..

@jakem016 - good work. It's how I'm going to play FM from now on; there's so much reward in it. I'm just into season 3 and currently have 11 youngsters in my first team squad who regularly start games in all competitions (not just the league cup), and they rarely let me down.

We've drawn Barcelona, FC Porto and Sparta Prague in the Champions League and I will have no issue playing teenagers in all of those games, even away at Camp Nou. I've a bet on with Woody that if he scores away there I'll buy him a new car. He's scored everywhere else :D

Just a little suggestion to anyone trying to bring up the youth players. Don't send them out on loan! If you want them to develop, keep them. Train them at the club, tutor them and give them some playing time. If you can't give them playing time and send them on loan, do so but not for more than 3 months. And make sure that the player will be first team and played in the position he should be or your want him to play. And always with an option to recall from loan. But I repeat, it is always best that the most highly rated youngsters stay at the club rather than go on loan.

On 21/11/2016 at 23:51, eastley said:

Won it all!!

Hey mate. Maybe a chance you can upload your tactic? Looks like fire!

1 hour ago, yonko said:

Just a little suggestion to anyone trying to bring up the youth players. Don't send them out on loan! If you want them to develop, keep them. Train them at the club, tutor them and give them some playing time. If you can't give them playing time and send them on loan, do so but not for more than 3 months. And make sure that the player will be first team and played in the position he should be or your want him to play. And always with an option to recall from loan. But I repeat, it is always best that the most highly rated youngsters stay at the club rather than go on loan.

An interesting assessment, Yonko, and not one I fully disagree with, however, it is not possible to keep them all.

What I normally do is to have 2 or 3 key young players I try and develop.

I train them at my club until they are about 18 and needing some game time. If they are one of key young players, I will give them the game time (second halves, easy cup matches, etc), but the rest go out on loan. Even if they don't feature in my immediate plans, they could still be sold for a profit in the future when developed.

12 minutes ago, MrMungo said:

An interesting assessment, Yonko, and not one I fully disagree with, however, it is not possible to keep them all.

What I normally do is to have 2 or 3 key young players I try and develop.

I train them at my club until they are about 18 and needing some game time. If they are one of key young players, I will give them the game time (second halves, easy cup matches, etc), but the rest go out on loan. Even if they don't feature in my immediate plans, they could still be sold for a profit in the future when developed.

I didn't say to keep them all. Just the ones that are highly rated and the user wants to develop. The best way to develop them is to keep them at the club and give them playing time. You don't have to play all youngsters at once, in the same match, in the same line up. You have to smartly manage their playing time and opportunities.

Archived