Sports Interactive Community
pukfm

Transfer system FM17

Before you start defending the game and thereafter lock a topic (as you often do), just reflect over my opinion. 

In FM16, I think the prices of decent players was crazy. Clubs (even small clubs with bad economy) often wanted 70-80M for their key players or their young talented players. I think the transfer system in FM16, was a VERY bad part of the game. 

I can see in FM17, that this issue has been FIXED. BUT now, the salaries is going to ruin the game. Every player I try to buy, want huge amount of money ! 

My recent example is this: I play as Tottenham and my highest paid players are Lloris and Lamela (95k and 80k pw.). I was about to buy Alfred Duncan (a decent player, but with low reputation, from a small seria a club). He wanted 100k pw., which means he was going to be my highest paid player - and after hard negotiation with bonuses, we landed at 82K pw., which means he was going to be my second best paid player. Alfred Duncan and almost every other player, which is not good enough to my first 11 team, want to be the highest paid player in the squad. This will NEVER happen in real life. Please fix this.

Edit: and don't lock my topic.

Edited by pukfm

Is there a reason why, after realising Alfred Duncan's wage demands were too high for the level of player that he is, that you simply didn't focus on another target whose wage demands might not have been so high?

4 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

Is there a reason why, after realising Alfred Duncan's wage demands were too high for the level of player that he is, that you simply didn't focus on another target whose wage demands might not have been so high?

Players whose wage demands might not have been so high? Where are these players in the game, that you are referring to ? Please give me some examples of a player in FM17, which has a realistic wage demand. Maybe you will find 1 out of 100.

Just now, pukfm said:

Players whose wage demands might not have been so high? Where are these players in the game, that you are referring to ? Please give me some examples of a player in FM17, which has a realistic wage demand. Maybe you will find 1 out of 100.

You're at a top Premier League club, the richest league in the world. You want to bring established players from abroad to play for you. In what universe would those players (and agents in particular) NOT ask for lots of money? It's how it is now.  At Spurs, you'll have a top scouting network, use those scouts to find other players, the reports will also tell you the wage demands. Look for players unhappy at other clubs or loan/transfer listed...quite often these players will accept lower wages just to get away from the club they're at. 

Every year you fail to grasp the concept that you sometimes can't just sign anybody you want for the prices you want. Once this finally sinks in, you'll have a better time with the game. 

4 minutes ago, pukfm said:

You are still failing to understand what the game is telling you.

In FM16 when teams quoted £50m+ they are telling you the player is "Not for Sale" and yet despite this you still pushed on and bought them.

Now in FM17 you have players who don't really want to join you unless you pay them lots of money and you still push on and buy them again.

You will never be happy with the transfer system until you learn to say no.  You need to recognise what is a good & bad deal for your club.

As Dave has said above if the player wants too much money for his position in your squad then you need to look elsewhere and target other players.  If you can't find them in your game then you need to improve your scouting.

1 minute ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

You're at a top Premier League club, the richest league in the world. You want to bring established players from abroad to play for you. In what universe would those players (and agents in particular) NOT ask for lots of money? It's how it is now.  At Spurs, you'll have a top scouting network, use those scouts to find other players, the reports will also tell you the wage demands. Look for players unhappy at other clubs or loan/transfer listed...quite often these players will accept lower wages just to get away from the club they're at. 

Every year you fail to grasp the concept that you sometimes can't just sign anybody you want for the prices you want. Once this finally sinks in, you'll have a better time with the game. 

Please read my comments again. Every player want money, and some players want lot of money - and correct, specially when they negotiate with a rich PL club. Thats NOT my problem. My problem is, that TO MANY PLAYERS in the game, want TO MUCH money. Thats not realistic. All most every player I try to buy, is not good enough for the start lineup, but want to be the highest paid player. I can name you 1000 of examples.

8 minutes ago, pukfm said:

Please read my comments again. Every player want money, and some players want lot of money - and correct, specially when they negotiate with a rich PL club. Thats NOT my problem. My problem is, that TO MANY PLAYERS in the game, want TO MUCH money. Thats not realistic. All most every player I try to buy, is not good enough for the start lineup, but want to be the highest paid player. I can name you 1000 of examples.

Why would a player move to another country for a backup wage just to sit on the bench when he could stay at his current club & play every week?

You have to pick your targets better puk & I'll make you an offer.  Upload your save and stick the link in the thread along with the players you are trying to sign and I'll look at it & pick out good targets for you + explain why they are good targets.

20 minutes ago, Cougar2010 said:

In FM16 when teams quoted £50m+ they are telling you the player is "Not for Sale" and yet despite this you still pushed on and bought them.

THIS! This my problem! No club will do that real life. No club will in real life tell me, "give us 80M for our 19 year old hot prospect" - I have seen LOT of examples of this in FM16.

There is not such a thing like "not for sale" in real life. EVERY player has a price, even Messi in Barcelona, although he is a legend in the club. Lets say that Lazio LOVE their duth defender, Stefan de Vrij, and don't want to sell him for a low price - that is understandable, but NO WAY in real life, that they will want 80m for the dutch player. That was my problem with FM16.

Now in FM17, I have problems with the wage demands. 

Edited by pukfm

2 minutes ago, pukfm said:

THIS! This my problem! No club will do that real life. No club will in real life tell me, "give us 80M for our 19 year old hot prospect" - I have seen LOT of examples of this in FM16.

There is not such a thing like "not for sale" in real life. EVERY player has a price, even Messi in Barcelona, although he is a legend in the club. Lets say that Lazio LOVE their duth defender, Stefan de Vrij, and don't want to sell him for a low price - that is understandable, but NO WAY in real life, that they will want 80m for the dutch player. That was my problem with FM16.

No IRL they would say "Not for Sale"

Then the buying club would say "Name your price" and eventually when the selling club got sick of listening to that they might say "£80m".

At this point the buying club would recognise that it was a poor deal & target other players but you don't do this.

You don't act like a normal buying manager.

21 minutes ago, Cougar2010 said:

No IRL they would say "Not for Sale"

Then the buying club would say "Name your price" and eventually when the selling club got sick of listening to that they might say "£80m".

At this point the buying club would recognise that it was a poor deal & target other players but you don't do this.

You don't act like a normal buying manager.

So you think that 80-90M (the price of 4 time Ballon d'Or winner Ronaldo) is normal and understandable for Lazio to ask for, in the beginning of the transfer negotiation with the interested club - just to tell them "Vrij is not for sale"? I don't and never will understand that. It's not realistic and will never happen in real life. 

Edited by pukfm

27 minutes ago, Cougar2010 said:

Why would a player move to another country for a backup wage just to sit on the bench when he could stay at his current club & play every week?

You have to pick your targets better puk & I'll make you an offer.  Upload your save and stick the link in the thread along with the players you are trying to sign and I'll look at it & pick out good targets for you + explain why they are good targets.

He wanted to be a key player. And moving to another country is normal in modern football, and shouldn't be a big problem. The problem is the wage demand.

Umtiti moved to (another country) Barcelona and didn't wanted high wage. He moved to Barcelona with NO PROBLEM, because moving to a bigger club is every players dream. It should be like this in FM17 for most of the players. I know there are greedy players in real life with low ambition, but MOST players just want to move to a bigger club, and don't just want to be the HIGHEST PAID player in the squad. 

Edited by pukfm

Another example. 

Marcelo Brozovic would extremely like to join my club (Tottenham). In Inter he only gets 46K pw., but want 135K as a key player in Tottenham, which means he will by far be the highest paid player. Hahahaha, whats going on??

My coaches dont think he is a player which will be in the starting 11 and only give him 3 starts in scouting reports. With negotiation, I think I can offer him about 100K in the end, but he will still be the highest paid player in the squad :(:applause:

I can name you 100000 other examples. 

Please FIX this ASAP!

EDIT: I know you don't want to fix this, and this topic will probably be closed soon - but what about you make some mods, so the FM users can change how the transfer system works - because i think the transfer system is broken and ruining my game. 

Edited by pukfm

Another example. 

Lucas Lima from Santos. A player with low reputation, who gets 14K in Brazil. He want to move to a bigger club, and no other than me (Tottenham) wants him. I'm intrested in buying him and he is very intrested in coming to my club, but the problem is, he's NOT coming to my club!! - because he want 120K pw. :eek: Lot more than my highest paid player in the squad.

EDIT: Closing this thread is sign of weakness.

Edited by pukfm

I'd highly recommend reporting it in the bugs forums.
Upload your save game with detailed explanation and they will take a look at it.
If they do see it as an issue they will try to do something about it.

2 minutes ago, roykela said:

I'd highly recommend reporting it in the bugs forums.
Upload your save game with detailed explanation and they will take a look at it.
If they do see it as an issue they will try to do something about it.

Thanks. But it's not a bug. Unfortunately it's how the transfer system works in FM17 :(  My best hope is to convince SI that, transfers isn't working that way in real life.

And the best way you have doing that is there.
Bugs forum isn't purely just for bugs. It's also for stuff that don't work correctly (wrongly implemented etc.)

Just now, roykela said:

And the best way you have doing that is there.
Bugs forum isn't purely just for bugs. It's also for stuff that don't work correctly (wrongly implemented etc.)

Ok, is it possible to move this topic to the "bugs forum" ? 

No, this topic won't be moved to the bugs forum for 2 reasons.

1 - Learn to negotiate. I saw a thread in the bugs forum about Luke Shaw wanting 200k+ (235k, IIRC) a week in wages. SI used that save and was able to re-sign him for 85k a week.

2 - If you do have what you think is an issue, report it in the bugs forum, either using an existing thread or creating a new one, with a copy of your save so that SI can test it. If there are issues, they can immediately look at the code underneath to see why.

And that was it. HUNT3R came and all my work and hope is gone, and there is nothing else to do. Just close my topic.

Giving you my save file, dosen't change anything - it't not about my save file, but how the transfer system is working in FM17. 

I can't find the link about the Luke Shaw haggling madness - where is it?

I give up, just close the topic. Bye..

Also wiorth noting that what players are paid at the start is somewhat meaningless as most of those deals were signed under the previous TV deal, clusb have so much more money from this season that the lottery win effect of moving to the Premier league is een greater so it's only logical for players to ask for as much as they can get.

37 minutes ago, pukfm said:

Giving you my save file, dosen't change anything - it't not about my save file, but how the transfer system is working in FM17. 

If your save file has an example of an issue, it can go straight into the queue to get fixed - which affects the entire transfer system, obviously.

42 minutes ago, pukfm said:

I can't find the link about the Luke Shaw haggling madness - where is it?

https://community.sigames.com/topic/383144-appearance-fee-ridiculously-high/?do=findComment&comment=10493723

There you go. SI did say the initial demands are high and they'll investigate, so the uploaded save helped. In that thread though, Shaw asked for 275k and Ben was able to get him to agree on 50k, which shows the effect negotiating can have.

47 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

https://community.sigames.com/topic/383144-appearance-fee-ridiculously-high/?do=findComment&comment=10493723

There you go. SI did say the initial demands are high and they'll investigate, so the uploaded save helped. In that thread though, Shaw asked for 275k and Ben was able to get him to agree on 50k, which shows the effect negotiating can have.

That means he was able to get his wage demand down with 500% ??? :eek: It sounds too good to be true. I don't say his lying, but he dosn't say anything about how he did it?  I try to negotiate in any possible way, but can't get the players wage demand down more than 20-30%. 

So your problem with the game is you cannot buy everyone you want on low wages for a small transfer fee? 

This **** happens (and to those earlier in the thread most of us have no idea how often since we are not involved in football). You cannot sign everyone you want all the time. Sometimes the team does not want to sell. Sometimes the player is not really interested in playing for you unless you are going to pay him well and play him a lot. This is completely normal, and indeed you can guess much of this from a scout report.

If you scout a player and it says "team is unwilling to sell the player" then you know the team is unwilling to sell the player before you make a bid. In that case you have absolutely no reason to be shocked that they ask for a stupid amount of money. Stick them in a shortlist, monitor their status regularly, get them when their contract is running down or they are unhappy.

On player wages, the same kind of thing applies. If you are paying 30 million for a player, for example, why should he not expect to be paid as one of your key players? Why else would you be spending that much money on him? This really is not complicated; a large transfer fee implies a large wage offer. The only reason to spend a huge sum on a player is because they are an important part of your plans.

The real, simple way around this is to not sign players who want more than you are willing to pay. To not target players whose clubs do not want to sell. To target unsettled players, listed players, or players nearing the end of their contract instead (these are cheaper, and happier to negotiate with you). If you want to target a currently unavailable player, you have to monitor them, try to unsettle them with a crappy bid (as the AI does all the time), talk to the media, and be patient. All the tools are there, and you will not like this (nor I expect agree with me) but you need to learn to use them.

Don't the existing Spurs squad have rather low wages relative to the club's reputation, position, ambition, and competitions they appear in? Then players are asking for wages based on those factors rather than based on what existing players are getting paid? Even if that is the case I'm not sure that counts as something that is broken, more a challenge for the manager.

32 minutes ago, sporadicsmiles said:

So your problem with the game is you cannot buy everyone you want on low wages for a small transfer fee? 

This **** happens (and to those earlier in the thread most of us have no idea how often since we are not involved in football). You cannot sign everyone you want all the time. Sometimes the team does not want to sell. Sometimes the player is not really interested in playing for you unless you are going to pay him well and play him a lot. This is completely normal, and indeed you can guess much of this from a scout report.

If you scout a player and it says "team is unwilling to sell the player" then you know the team is unwilling to sell the player before you make a bid. In that case you have absolutely no reason to be shocked that they ask for a stupid amount of money. Stick them in a shortlist, monitor their status regularly, get them when their contract is running down or they are unhappy.

On player wages, the same kind of thing applies. If you are paying 30 million for a player, for example, why should he not expect to be paid as one of your key players? Why else would you be spending that much money on him? This really is not complicated; a large transfer fee implies a large wage offer. The only reason to spend a huge sum on a player is because they are an important part of your plans.

The real, simple way around this is to not sign players who want more than you are willing to pay. To not target players whose clubs do not want to sell. To target unsettled players, listed players, or players nearing the end of their contract instead (these are cheaper, and happier to negotiate with you). If you want to target a currently unavailable player, you have to monitor them, try to unsettle them with a crappy bid (as the AI does all the time), talk to the media, and be patient. All the tools are there, and you will not like this (nor I expect agree with me) but you need to learn to use them.

I you had read the whole topic and all of my comments, you would have saved lot of time. Either you try to be rude or you havn't read my comments or you are applied to just defend the game?

I have given you LOT of examples, and I know how the game works. Santos would like to sell Lucas Lima from Santos for 11M (thats not a huge sum) to me, but Lima wants 120K, and be my highest paid player. Thats dosen't make sense. I'm the only interested club who want this very low reputated player, and he is very interested joining my team. Its not only Lima, EVERY player is like this in the game.

Edited by pukfm

28 minutes ago, Pingdinho said:

Don't the existing Spurs squad have rather low wages relative to the club's reputation, position, ambition, and competitions they appear in? Then players are asking for wages based on those factors rather than based on what existing players are getting paid? Even if that is the case I'm not sure that counts as something that is broken, more a challenge for the manager.

Please read all of my comments and save your time.

Very low reputated players wants to be me highest paid player in the squad. Every player is like this in the game.

Edited by pukfm

If you want help then take up Cougar's offer to see if you're missing players who are willing to sign less costly contracts, I'm also more than happy to do the same. The alternative is to make a copy of your save available to SI via a bug report along with a list of the players who are attempting to sign but are unable to agree a contract value that you're happy with, the larger the pool of players you provide the more likely it is that the QA /Dev staff will be able to see any consistent behaviour that needs rebalancing & of course SI might be already in the process of doing that following other feedback during the Beta stage.

12 minutes ago, pukfm said:

Very low reputated players wants to be me highest paid player in the squad. Every player is like this in the game.

I play as Spurs and it's tough to sign players if you try and keep it to a sensible wage structure (at least until the new stadium is built and revenue increases).  Unless it's a proven top quality player I won't sign a player on more than £80K per week but as you pointed out they all want more than £80K a week!  But most other teams do sign players on much higher wages than Spurs in real life.  I'm not quite sure how Levy does it to be honest.  I know that one year agency fees per club were published and Spurs were one of the highest agency fee payers, so I guess we pay the agent a lot of money to ensure the deal goes through.

Regardless, I don't think the game is capable of mirroring the way Spurs manage to do business in real life.  Even you do manage to barter the player down to realistic wages the bonuses you have to allow/add to sweeten the deal don't really make it worthwhile.

But if you look at real life this is exactly why Spurs haven't had a marquee signing in years.  Almost all the great players we have had at Spurs have forged or honed their reputation as great players at Spurs before moving on to the bigger clubs (Modric, Berbatov, Carrick, Bale).  They weren't regarded as great players when Spurs initially signed them, although they may have been highly regarded as potential.

26 minutes ago, pukfm said:

Geez, I was only trying to help ... won't make that mistake again.

Still havent started a save, waiting for launch date. But what pukfm is describing here was one of the few real negatives of FM 2016. 

Of course this wont be an issue for everyone-wouldnt matter if you dont care about the details such as wages etc. I always play with Valencia, and try to replicate the clubs policies in real life. And one such policy is working with salary caps, strict wage control, and purchase of low value high performance players. 

In FM 2016 it was very difficult to manage the wage demand of both existing team players and potential transfer targets. Existing players would always ask for improved contract (Which you can shoot down, but still); and their demand was not a 10-20% increment, but a massive one. Cases of 19-20 year olds asking for 50K Pounds per week was not unusual. Buying was not difficult first couple of seasons, but once the regens come in, clubs start demanding unrealistic fees, these guys want lofty wages too. 

I raised this issue before in this forum. I was told if the club was a lot of wage budget available, players will ask for higher salary. But irl are players aware of wage budgets? I was also told you could still negotiate, use your skill to bring both wage, fee down. Possible, but in many cases not possible. And after 3-4 seasons it really takes the fun out when you cant quite sign players because of exorbitant fee and wage demand. 

I hope FM addresses this in this issue. To me its one of the few blemishes of the game. 

I've not read the bugs forum stuff on this but it seems like it's going to get tweaked and maybe needs it.

However - a little advice for you.

First of all - remember FM is a game.  People get VERY frustrated if the game simply says "NO HE'S NOT FOR SALE".  They feel like they can't live out their fantasies of managing a top club and buying all the players.  So SI have to try to get a balance right between realism - players simply "not being for sale" and feedback to the player - who may well be in a desperate and slightly unrealistic position, and prepared to act "unusually".  SI have to cater for all these eventualities.  What that means is that there's always a balancing act, and either end of that act extends somewhat beyond what would be considered realistic.  It tends to be at the end of the spectrum that you get some oddities.

Flipside is that no matter what you think - sometimes there simply is an occasion where a player isn't for sale.  Would Lazio turn down $80m for their defender?  It's HIGHLY UNLIKELY if you're looking at first glance, obviously.  But there are more factors than simple cost / wages.  Are you bidding at the end of the transfer window?  Will they be able to get a replacement?  Do they have an idea of who that might be, or do they have to go looking?  If the manager / board doesn't need to sell, and they don't feel like there's an appropriate alternative - is it going to harm their chances?  If they're borderline for CL qualification and you're removing a key player - it may simply not be worth it to them unless you are going to fund the dropoff for them.  The game does consider options like this, to the best of my knowledge.

I've seen no evidence of "every player is like this in game" to be honest.  If you are experiencing that then please do help and post your save in the bugs forum - its different to mine.  That's entirely possible, too.  But I'd wager that this is something that will be in a status of "perma-tweaking" as its so hard to get right

Keep the faith - SI normally get this sort of stuff sorted out... good luck!

@pukfm

If you think its frustrating for you consider how the rest of us feel.  Time & time again you bring up issues, people offer you advice and you throw it back in their face.  Then you wonder why your topics get closed.

I've offered to have a look at your save, Barside has also said he will and SI staff would do as well but you never take up the offer preferring just to stumble on.

You haven't said how far into the save you are either so we can only guess but at least you've said you are negotiating and getting the wage demands reduced by 20%-30% which is a decent amount.

Out of interest though I'm going to load up a Spurs save and have a look at the players you've mentioned as hopefully it might help others who read the thread.

There are plenty of real life examples of teams being asked to pay well over the value of a player, akin to what the OP is saying. Andy Carroll to Liverpool seems to be exactly the sort of deal that he thinks exists only in FM.

9 hours ago, pukfm said:

You seem to fundamentally misunderstand what the game is telling you.

When a club quotes you £80m for a player they are simply making it very clear to you that they do not want to sell the player and that it will take a very high offer for you to change their mind. Obviously you should negotiate and if you do then you will be able to drive the price down quite a long way. On plenty of occasions I've signed players for prices in the £35-40m range when I was initially quoted figures of £70m or more.

Also how would you know how clubs handle negotiations in real life? Are you associated with a major club? Do you have some insider knowledge that the rest of us don't?

As for the wages in FM17, let's break things down and look at it from a different perspective.

I'm Alfred Duncan, I'm currently earning £50k per week (I'm guessing the figure because I don't have FM17 yet) and am one of the best players in my position at Sassuolo, starting games almost every week and enjoying life. Now Tottenham have approached me, they want to sign me as a backup member of their squad. Now sure they're a bigger club but I'm happy here in Italy and I don't really want to move to a club where my playing time is going to be massively reduced. So Tottenham want to pay me roughly the same as I'm on at the moment, they want to go no higher than £60k per week. What incentive is there for me to accept that? I'm already earning £2.6m per year, the extra £520k isn't something I desperately need and it's not enough for me to uproot my entire life, move to a new country, leave behind a club that I like, all of the people I know, and go from playing every single week to barely ever getting on the pitch.

Of course players are going to want some financial incentive to move massive distances to new countries unless your club offers them substantially better opportunities than they have at the moment and when you're trying to sign a key player at a good sized club to be a backup at a slightly bigger club, where exactly is the incentive for them there?

Ok I've loaded up a Spurs save and had a look at the three players @pukfm mentioned in this thread.

Alfred Duncan (82% scouted)

He is a 23yo key player for Sassuolo in Serie A earning £18.5k per week with 5 silver star rep.  They have literally just signed him for £4.4m after having him on loan last season and they are in the Euro Cup this season.  With three years on his contract I would expect him to be an expensive target having just moved permanently to Sassuolo.  Despite this the scout reports that Sassuolo will sell him for between £14.5m & £20m with wage demands of £51k-£100k a week.

The scout report gives him 3* CA for Spurs with 3.5* PA which puts him just behind Dier & Wanyama in the squad who are on £60k/£65k a week.  Both seem a little low compared to other clubs at a similar level to Spurs where a first team player is earning around £90k a week minimum.

I haven't tried to sign him but realistically I would expect him wanting a guarantee of first team football and probably around £75k-£80k a week.  He would also be a better target next summer should Sassuolo fail to qualify for Europe but I can't really see his wage demands altering that much.

Lucas Lima (90% Scouted)

He is a 25yo key player for one of the biggest sides in Brazil (4* rep compared to Spurs 4.5* rep & both leagues have 4* rep) earning £14.25k per week with 1* rep.  He has 18 months left on his contract and seems like a decent target.  I also want to point out at this stage though that £14.25k in Brazil buys you far more than £14.25k a week in England would and that he is more or less the highest paid player in the Santos squad.  The scout estimates a transfer cost of £9.25-£12.5m with a wage demand of £82k-£160k a week.

The scout puts him at 3.5* CA which puts him on a par with Christian Eriksen amongst the best players in the squad and a regular starter.  With negotiation I would expect to get his wage demands down to around £120k a week which would make him the highest paid player in the squad but the sum isn't unreasonable when you look at other clubs around Spurs level.

Marcelo Brozovic (69% Scouted)

A 23yo on £46k a week with 3 years left on his contract.  First team player for Inter with both club & league reps more or less equal while Inter finished 4th last season meaning they are in the Euro Cup.

Much the same story here as the previous two above.  Scout estimates a transfer fee of £15m-£29.5m with estimated wage demand of £60k-£120k a week.  Scout also estimates he has 3.5/4* CA which makes him again amongst the best players in the squad and he wants wages to match.  Mid point of wage demands is £90k a week which would put him 2nd highest behind Lloris but again its not unreasonable for a club of Spurs level.

Overall GSevens is on the money above.  Spurs seem to run a really tight ship contract wise which probably doesn't translate perfectly well into FM.  I don't think any of the three above are unreasonable especially with the extra money flowing into the Premier League, they could move to the likes of Liverpool/Arsenal etc and their wages would be on par with others at their level.

In terms of targets I guess you need to look a little lower down the pecking order for those part developed players which in a way is what Spurs have done a fair bit over the last few years.

4 hours ago, pukfm said:

That means he was able to get his wage demand down with 500% ??? :eek: It sounds too good to be true. I don't say his lying, but he dosn't say anything about how he did it?  I try to negotiate in any possible way, but can't get the players wage demand down more than 20-30%. 

I often manage to pay the players less than half of what they are demanding... use some clauses, bonuses, tinker with duration and squad status. And learn to say NO.

3 hours ago, pukfm said:

I have given you LOT of examples, and I know how the game works. 

There are hundreds of thousands of players in the game and you mentioned how many cases? And you got responses from players about how they play normal wages to players that reflect their status and quality. You got some useful tips about what you can do to reduce wages during negotiations. And you still keep listing individual examples of players trying to skin you...

4 hours ago, pukfm said:

No, he got it down by about 80%, not 500%.. If you lower it 100%, it's down to nothing, if you were to lower it by more than 100%, he'd be owning you money..

5 minutes ago, Maaka said:

No, he got it down by about 80%, not 500%.. If you lower it 100%, it's down to nothing, if you were to lower it by more than 100%, he'd be owning you money..

That would be some negotiation :D

1 hour ago, Cougar2010 said:

Ok I've loaded up a Spurs save and had a look at the three players @pukfm mentioned in this thread.

Alfred Duncan (82% scouted)

He is a 23yo key player for Sassuolo in Serie A earning £18.5k per week with 5 silver star rep.  They have literally just signed him for £4.4m after having him on loan last season and they are in the Euro Cup this season.  With three years on his contract I would expect him to be an expensive target having just moved permanently to Sassuolo.  Despite this the scout reports that Sassuolo will sell him for between £14.5m & £20m with wage demands of £51k-£100k a week.

The scout report gives him 3* CA for Spurs with 3.5* PA which puts him just behind Dier & Wanyama in the squad who are on £60k/£65k a week.  Both seem a little low compared to other clubs at a similar level to Spurs where a first team player is earning around £90k a week minimum.

I haven't tried to sign him but realistically I would expect him wanting a guarantee of first team football and probably around £75k-£80k a week.  He would also be a better target next summer should Sassuolo fail to qualify for Europe but I can't really see his wage demands altering that much.

Lucas Lima (90% Scouted)

He is a 25yo key player for one of the biggest sides in Brazil (4* rep compared to Spurs 4.5* rep & both leagues have 4* rep) earning £14.25k per week with 1* rep.  He has 18 months left on his contract and seems like a decent target.  I also want to point out at this stage though that £14.25k in Brazil buys you far more than £14.25k a week in England would and that he is more or less the highest paid player in the Santos squad.  The scout estimates a transfer cost of £9.25-£12.5m with a wage demand of £82k-£160k a week.

The scout puts him at 3.5* CA which puts him on a par with Christian Eriksen amongst the best players in the squad and a regular starter.  With negotiation I would expect to get his wage demands down to around £120k a week which would make him the highest paid player in the squad but the sum isn't unreasonable when you look at other clubs around Spurs level.

Marcelo Brozovic (69% Scouted)

A 23yo on £46k a week with 3 years left on his contract.  First team player for Inter with both club & league reps more or less equal while Inter finished 4th last season meaning they are in the Euro Cup.

Much the same story here as the previous two above.  Scout estimates a transfer fee of £15m-£29.5m with estimated wage demand of £60k-£120k a week.  Scout also estimates he has 3.5/4* CA which makes him again amongst the best players in the squad and he wants wages to match.  Mid point of wage demands is £90k a week which would put him 2nd highest behind Lloris but again its not unreasonable for a club of Spurs level.

Overall GSevens is on the money above.  Spurs seem to run a really tight ship contract wise which probably doesn't translate perfectly well into FM.  I don't think any of the three above are unreasonable especially with the extra money flowing into the Premier League, they could move to the likes of Liverpool/Arsenal etc and their wages would be on par with others at their level.

In terms of targets I guess you need to look a little lower down the pecking order for those part developed players which in a way is what Spurs have done a fair bit over the last few years.

A solid, evidence-based analytical response. Top marks! 

Have to agree with your conclusions and hope this thread can move on into less turbulent waters...

Just want to add my recent experience with the system as i cannot understand why people defend the transfers in the game when there has clearly been massive problems with it for at least a couple of years now where the AI wants to buy your players for a little as possible but sell to you at at least 3x the players value.

Anyway, first player i tried to sign was Callum Wilson from Bournemouth, initially i'd sold Giroud to Man City, had a value of £19.25m but they wouldn't offer anymore than £15m which i accepted even though its only 3 quarters of his in game value. Now on to Wilson, worth £29m i expected to sign him for around £45m which to me is still too much but never mind. Long story short they wanted £96m for him initially! But no surprise as thats how the game seems to work nowadays. So after some re negotiating the best i could get him for was £78m :rolleyes: Plus they even wanted a sell on clause! Now im not saying we should be able to get players for the amount they are showing to be worth (£29m with Wilson) but surely something needs to be done to tone things down a bit as i really had hoped transfers had been fixed this year but clearly they haven't and it really does take a lot of the enjoyment away from playing the game. 

Callum Wilson_ Transfer Transfer Offer-2.png

3 minutes ago, SortitoutsiVP said:

massive problems with it for at least a couple of years now where the AI wants to buy your players for a little as possible but sell to you at at least 3x the players value

Are you saying the AI is too clever?

Just now, SortitoutsiVP said:

Long story short they wanted £96m for him initially!

They didn't really. They basically told you to go away, but you didn't take the hint and bought him anyway.

11 minutes ago, SortitoutsiVP said:

Just want to add my recent experience with the system as i cannot understand why people defend the transfers in the game when there has clearly been massive problems with it for at least a couple of years now where the AI wants to buy your players for a little as possible but sell to you at at least 3x the players value.

Anyway, first player i tried to sign was Callum Wilson from Bournemouth, initially i'd sold Giroud to Man City, had a value of £19.25m but they wouldn't offer anymore than £15m which i accepted even though its only 3 quarters of his in game value. Now on to Wilson, worth £29m i expected to sign him for around £45m which to me is still too much but never mind. Long story short they wanted £96m for him initially! But no surprise as thats how the game seems to work nowadays. So after some re negotiating the best i could get him for was £78m :rolleyes: Plus they even wanted a sell on clause! Now im not saying we should be able to get players for the amount they are showing to be worth (£29m with Wilson) but surely something needs to be done to tone things down a bit as i really had hoped transfers had been fixed this year but clearly they haven't and it really does take a lot of the enjoyment away from playing the game. 

Callum Wilson_ Transfer Transfer Offer-2.png

Why are you targeting Wilson?

What makes him a good or bad target?

6 hours ago, HUNT3R said:

Just to keep the information in this thread straight and up to date, I just read that thread and Ben later confirmed that he hadn't negotiated down to 50k, but down by 50k.

Just now, eriktous said:

Just to keep the information in this thread straight and up to date, I just read that thread and Ben later confirmed that he hadn't negotiated down to 50k, but down by 50k.

My bad. I misread. :ackter:

I laughed out loud (literally) when i read this this morning at my office.  Good thing I was alone or my sanity might have been questioned more than it already is.  Thanks Dave for the endorphins boost.

It's only early days so maybe this is just me attributing too much to one transfer, but I get the feeling we need to be more patient with transfers in this version and not accept all of a players demands off the bat.

I made a move during the first off season for Pucciareli as I was looking for a backup shadow striker and a false nine. He seemed to fit both of those roles well enough for me. Empoli had been relegated, he was unhappy, I made a bid, they accepted and he had a list of demands. After removing most of them other than agreeing to a major pay rise we opened negotiations and he asked for somewhere in the region of 130k a week which I couldn't afford, nor would I be willing to pay it.

So I went about looking for other targets confident that the chances of him had gone as Marseille were in for him as well. A couple of weeks later his agent got back in touch to say he was willing to reopen negotiations. At first I had problems as Empoli wanted more cash for him (Which I think is a nice touch as my bidding again showed that I was keen on his services so naturally they are going to play hardball) but once that got sorted he was willing to negotiate on his wage demands and in the end got him down to 70K-ish. I probably could have got it lower if I tried harder. The other thing is that he had not yet rejected the offer from Marseille in older versions that would have played out in one of two ways - Either he would have signed with them or he would have rejected and sat there until someone took the initiative to make a move for him. Maybe players are more willing to be patient in this version and play teams off against each other to see which fool is willing to be parted from the most of their money?