FM17: Manchester United - The Special One Arrives

mikenevo

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, FMAnderson said:

:) let me know how it goes :)

realised i all ready have this tactic but i tinkered the hell out of it so good to have the original again. was half way through a save so im starting again and will use this and see how it goes again.

did try it against man city, it eneded 5-4 to me. lukaku and aguero both scored 4! 

ahead of fm 18, trying to create a 4231 in current style Jose is playing

full backs staying wide and overlapping, two stable centre backs. Matic as a deep lying playmaker and pogba a roaming playmaker

the front 3 behind lukaku (complete forward attack) is where is am struggling to recreate the current style. Martial on rashford on the left as an inside forward attack getting behind the opposition defence seems to be working but the issue is with the right side and the amc 

i have been using mata as the 10 and mikhi inside forward support but with the instruction that they are to swap positions like they seem to be doing IRL. I am thinking that with the potential purchase of griezmann he may take matas place in the starting 11 and have the role of swapping with mikhi between the 10 role and inside forward on the right. 

However the game does not seem to like the swapping roles I am trying to implement and am currently struggling to get the best out of mata or mikhi with their rating consistently in the 6.5-6.9 range

just wondered if anyone else was planning to try and recreate this tactic ahead of fm 18 and whether you had any success so far

On 23/09/2017 at 13:36, thim1993 said:

ahead of fm 18, trying to create a 4231 in current style Jose is playing

full backs staying wide and overlapping, two stable centre backs. Matic as a deep lying playmaker and pogba a roaming playmaker

the front 3 behind lukaku (complete forward attack) is where is am struggling to recreate the current style. Martial on rashford on the left as an inside forward attack getting behind the opposition defence seems to be working but the issue is with the right side and the amc 

i have been using mata as the 10 and mikhi inside forward support but with the instruction that they are to swap positions like they seem to be doing IRL. I am thinking that with the potential purchase of griezmann he may take matas place in the starting 11 and have the role of swapping with mikhi between the 10 role and inside forward on the right. 

However the game does not seem to like the swapping roles I am trying to implement and am currently struggling to get the best out of mata or mikhi with their rating consistently in the 6.5-6.9 range

just wondered if anyone else was planning to try and recreate this tactic ahead of fm 18 and whether you had any success so far

To be fair mata and mkhi dont really swap positions during the game. Mkhi plays number 10 and mata keeps coming inside from the right to link with him. I was able to recreat this by playing Attacking mid support on Amc and inside forward support with roaming on right wing. I actually prefer mata as number 10 unlike IRL. He is more creative and mkhi has more speed for the wing. I have no idea why jose doesn't try this for real. One reason might have been work rate but mkhi is no better than mata in this regard. 

Also, if you play inside forward on the left side too, doesn't that compress the space in the middle too much? I prefer winger on attack. Martial and rashers both rotate for this spot. They play like winger/IF hybrids i.e starting position is wide but they cut in enough to be a goal threat. 

I just had the best season with United, first season success in the league and hopefully Europa League final. I went out in the FA cup and League earlier but this gave me time between games to be consistent in the league...and what a league season it was :)

Screen Shot 2017-10-02 at 16.37.56.png

Screen Shot 2017-10-02 at 16.38.18.png

Screen Shot 2017-10-02 at 16.38.28.png

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, w_x said:

Just started as United, anyone else have a problem with all of Pogba's shots being over the bar?

Can't say I have - Pog usually scores into double figures each season. Usually playing as a B2B or RP, and with the 'shoot less often' PI just to tone him down a bit. Deadly from free kicks, too.

23 hours ago, warlock said:

Can't say I have - Pog usually scores into double figures each season. Usually playing as a B2B or RP, and with the 'shoot less often' PI just to tone him down a bit. Deadly from free kicks, too.

He was injured for a few months, he's come back and has bagged 4 goals in 2 games. Been playing him as a Treq due to other injuries

5 hours ago, Gavinwwe said:

Hi guys, i  was wondering if anyone has got a 4231 wide working with inside forwards and a control or counter mentality and willing to share?

Not something I've managed this year. It looks like the way to go, because the top teams in the Prem in game seem to prefer it (Arsenal, Spurs, and Liverpool - among others - have done very well playing 4231) and score loads while being pretty solid at the back. Whenever I've tried, it goes the other way - can't score and concede a boatload. I've had the most success with a 4123wide, followed by the 4312, and 4132. The 4123 is a natural at United because you have all the positions covered, both starters and backups. The narrow formations are harder because you start with too many wide players and it's hard to fit them all in.

But if you take the time to read the thread you'll find several people have done well with 4231 so it's not impossible. I just haven't been able to make it work.

11 hours ago, warlock said:

Not something I've managed this year. It looks like the way to go, because the top teams in the Prem in game seem to prefer it (Arsenal, Spurs, and Liverpool - among others - have done very well playing 4231) and score loads while being pretty solid at the back. Whenever I've tried, it goes the other way - can't score and concede a boatload. I've had the most success with a 4123wide, followed by the 4312, and 4132. The 4123 is a natural at United because you have all the positions covered, both starters and backups. The narrow formations are harder because you start with too many wide players and it's hard to fit them all in.

But if you take the time to read the thread you'll find several people have done well with 4231 so it's not impossible. I just haven't been able to make it work.

My current formation is 4-2-3-1 with Inside Forwards.

Sk - (Su)

Wbr (Su)

CD (D)

CD (D)

Wbl (Su)

Dlp (D)

Ap (A)

IFl (A)

AM (A)

IFr (A)

CF (A)

3 Straight Champions Leagues, 4 Straight Premier Leagues and numerous Cups. (scoring bucket loads my main CF normally goals and a season and 30 Gls a season from my IFs and AM)

On 22/10/2017 at 12:19, B Sharples said:

Sk - (Su)

Wbr (Su)

CD (D)

CD (D)

Wbl (Su)

Dlp (D)

Ap (A)

IFl (A)

AM (A)

IFr (A)

CF (A)

That's a pretty aggressive setup, but obviously working for you. What team shape/mentality do you use?

6 hours ago, warlock said:

That's a pretty aggressive setup, but obviously working for you. What team shape/mentality do you use?

Attacking, Fluid

Closing Down More

Play out from defence

Work Ball Into Box and Look for Overlap

Be More Expressive

Run at Defence

Most of my goals come from crosses and are scored inside the area with placed shots

On ‎22‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 12:19, B Sharples said:

Sk - (Su)

Wbr (Su)

CD (D)

CD (D)

Wbl (Su)

Dlp (D)

Ap (A)

IFl (A)

AM (A)

IFr (A)

CF (A)

3 Straight Champions Leagues, 4 Straight Premier Leagues and numerous Cups. (scoring bucket loads my main CF normally goals and a season and 30 Gls a season from my IFs and AM)

Not a single support role in midfield, if I did that and on attacking i'd get ripped apart game after game.I wouldn't even entertain the prospect of going to the Etihad,Emirates or Anfield etc as gung-ho as that.

Fair play though if you get it to work.

On ‎10‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 13:57, axehan1 said:

Not a single support role in midfield, if I did that and on attacking i'd get ripped apart game after game.I wouldn't even entertain the prospect of going to the Etihad,Emirates or Anfield etc as gung-ho as that.

Fair play though if you get it to work.

My Dlp (D) effectively sits in front of the back 4 in line with my Wb (S) and the high press up top helps.

I aim to have quick players in the forward positions and stack my squad with youth. I'm in season 20/21 and my first 11 has Ander Herrara as the oldest player at 31, and I have 6 players 25 or under. (I try to stay true to the old Man Utd way of bringing through youth players.)

• 6 months later...
On 10/08/2017 at 21:38, howard moon said:

Could do with some advice.

End of the transfer window in my second season, and Madrid have offered £70 up-front for Mkhitaryan. He had an okay first season, and I was hoping for more from him in the second, but this amount of money is seriously tempting!

If I let him go though, I'd need a replacement, as my other attackers (not including strikers) are:

Mata

Lingard

Rashford (though he's better as CF)

Martial (struggling for form since the start of the game)

Pereira

Januzaj (on the transfer list)

Any suggestions on a replacement (or anyone think I should just reject the offer)? I've got £130m to spend - have already tried (and failed) for Griezmann, Dybala. One player who might be available for £30m is Willian from Chelsea, who is unsettled at the moment...

Lol bought griezmann for 46m . you should get dybala for about 63m in first season 

2 hours ago, Abdulrahman gafar said:

Lol bought griezmann for 46m . you should get dybala for about 63m in first season 

Considering his post was from almost a year ago.. I would assume he's moved past the issue ...

nice first post on here though

Archived