[FM17] Shield Wall - A Spartan Youth Challenge in Romania

LPQR

53 minutes ago, Benjoe said:

Just started reading along here. Haven't read it all, but really like what I've read so far!

Impressive with the final although sadly no trophy was brought home.

Nice talent production as well!

welcome on board! yeah, we've started getting some really impressive talent in the last few intakes...hopefully it carries on like this :)

• Replies 549
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, LPQR said:

welcome on board! yeah, we've started getting some really impressive talent in the last few intakes...hopefully it carries on like this :)

Thanks man!

How is Turcu performing continentally?

Also when I wrote 'impressive with the final' I was of course referring to the Champions League final :D

9 minutes ago, Benjoe said:

Thanks man!

How is Turcu performing continentally?

Also when I wrote 'impressive with the final' I was of course referring to the Champions League final :D

european golden boy on three occasions I think, second best player in CL on one occasion if I remember correctly (that would be the season we got to the final)

[edit]

i was wrong :) a little bit better than that

fc4929cdadc268e3da3d3cdaa0dea349.png

11 minutes ago, LPQR said:

european golden boy on three occasions I think, second best player in CL on one occasion if I remember correctly (that would be the season we got to the final)

[edit]

i was wrong :) a little bit better than that

fc4929cdadc268e3da3d3cdaa0dea349.png

That's quite the amount of awards at 22 :)

Think he's got more untapped potential left?

Season 33-34

spartalogo222.jpg

Spartans making a habit of the CL late stages...

0290583af4b674cfc760ae97510f4069.png

Another fantastic season marked by the volatility of the new system. Whilst we didn't win the league by as big of a margin as in previous years, we managed an excellent CL campaign, beating some really strong sides like Man Utd, Man City and Real Madrid in the process...

CL Campaign 33-45

a2e4245f158ea22ae73ff747684cd603.png

Absolutely dismantled by Barcelona over two legs, the experimental new system has proven its' flaws against sides who know how to exploit our shortcomings, be it European Giants or local teams. From next year we're much more likely to see a more balanced set-up that can enable us to make use of the really good defensive talent we have in the team....

Sparta's defensive talent pack:

Plopeanu (DR)

20a45f33f5bf417a9b4ce085d371b22b.jpg

Voican (DL)

a30fcd681a78cad31d5c9fb048b5b2de.jpg

Condurache (CB)

5ad054b7651531e408cddda5dd909382.jpg

Ionita II (CB)

3d58c35e249de1123b9a26e2e8687ad2.jpg

Barcanescu (CB) - young talent

really excited about this guy and he'll be promoted straight to the first team next season due to Andone's decline. Already good enough to be a rotation CB in the league, he'll get some game time under his belt and hopefully develop quicker.

802ecb02ae19a5db29d1913bb3bf8ba6.jpg

to cap it off, I was excited about Vlad Constantin at the end of last season as he was developing at an incredible pace, making his NT debut at 17 and looking very well rounded. Well, another season in the bag and he's developed into the best player in the team - screaming for a role in front of defense, preferably a DLP or a Regista where he can use his PPM's as well as his excellent defensive ability. All of the above plus Vlad shielding the back four have already provided the fundamentals for next year's system: 4 man defence and a DM in front. Let's see what I can come up with....

2f2f67f86f71a3d0e46c2b26e52bc252.jpg

Performances

The new system has brought the best out of one man in particular: Ionut Ciurea

872a4b21286f6f36f95d4e0670340683.jpg

featured as the AM behind the two forwards in our system (the Dybala role), he's managed his best season yet with some amazing goalscoring records in both, the CL and the league. If only his passing had been better, we might have had our AM position sorted for at least another five years.....

Catalin Turcu

whilst he didn't splash the stats as spectacularly as in previous seasons he still managed an excellent contribution to this year's campaign. His decline in that sense is perfectly understandable due to the more restrictive role he had to play in this year's system - deployed in the central winger role, we made use of both: his presence and work-rate in midfield as well as his pace out wide. 

9b40a391cbdc52352b5ef839506f85ab.jpg

Antonio Dumitriu

excellent campaign for Dumitriu, our CF in the current system. Much needed physical presence upfront and a typical return in his goalscoring form. 

d11281525e913bb3a81c5c8119a8cfb9.jpg

Youth Intake

4e49cd4d00a21c7b9a639f30254af709.png

interesting intake this year: probably could have done better in terms of star potential but the personalities are spot on and I'm really excited about Varga:

0a232cfb4474236720cc62eb66f2ed97.jpg

Top determination and some proper flair there should at least allow me to develop him quicker and make use of his talents upfront. 

Top Youth Talent

we have some excellent options developing well in the youth team, particularly the 4 attacking mids. Barcanescu and Varga will be promoted to the first team next year and Rosoaga will take Marin's place as the rotation RB. A new generation is developing at Sparta and boy oh boy, it does look like a talented one :)

98c019723ae73f8f547be861aebe7394.png

Club Development

a proud moment for the club & myself as we reach the top 10 European Club list. Jumping ahead of the likes of Juventus, R Madrid, Man Utd and Bayern is a true testament to our European performances over the last few years. Now if only we can make that final jump... :)

04b9d5923664f1f2f5b5150acc076fc9.png

11 hours ago, ManUtd1 said:

Vlad Constantin is a beast.  I'd take him at any club, at any juncture.

an he's still bloody 18...

10 hours ago, Benjoe said:

Vlad deservedly steals the headlines but I like Condurache a lot too. Really solid, no nonsense defender. I love that type. Rock solid defence overall. 

definitely, Condurache is a rock! his performance against Man City over the two legs... thought I was seeing Chiellini there

5 hours ago, kidthekid said:

wow, Top 10 in Europe. Amazing progress as a youth only save.

cheers :) yeah, I'm pretty chuffed with that. It's also an indicator that I probably need to stop messing about too much with tactics and go for something a bit more stable and reliable as a foundation. Who knows... I'll change my approach a bit from next year but only to stick to the same principle as ever - adapt tactically to exploit the best out of the current squad

the perks of living in Romania - you get to attend matches for the 7th best club in Europe only paying 3 quid for a ticket :lol:

cc82a7922ed721837a8dc26a74fddabe.png

pretty good material for marketing campaigns right there....

'you an exasperated Arsenal fan? tired of paying a hundred quid for an away fixture at flipping Hull? get a season ticket with Sparta for the same amount and see youth actually pay off!"

Image result for arsene wenger

sorry Arsene....

Just now, Benjoe said:

Woah. Don't like the shots fired at Arsenal and Arsene.. :( 

'please file all complaints to our marketing team and we will have our lawyers be in contact with you shortly '

Just now, LPQR said:

'please file all complaints to our marketing team and we will have our lawyers be in contact with you shortly '

Ohhh sod it then. Keep shooting.. Can't get much worse anyway. 

Image result for romania

Image result for world cup

Romania goes into the 2034 World Cup with a squad fuelled by Spartan talent...

here's the main first 11: 8 Sparta players

449488153c3b8b63e44745f0b1b1a707.png

Full Squad

cfc17801169aadb1cc78650fde4e2488.png

there are some incredible talents in this team apart from our players too...

the legendary Atletico forward...

38ba40217ccf5f612b3b3c3cf9907425.png

a fast-rising PSG star...

7588987f30eca8ad4bf8611a2f7eff9e.png

and the eternal left-wing horse of the national side...

b42f9e70109a92e20c340280e29a55b5.png

2 minutes ago, BoxToBox said:

The Eternal Horse is a hell of a nickname.

tbh, Turcu would be a much better fit for that:

Image result for horse 88c20ef2b41150e44223d2f4983d9d10.png

please spot the differences....

another draw with Uruguay and we're through!!! next up it's Poland!

Bring on the jkshfmekfiwkslfks, or however you call your national team in Polish....

7b0e0234bc2e8e33a24a810cc2a43521.png

Hagi, you watching mate?

Image result for hagi gheorghe

"Hagi was spotted walking circles around Avram's house later that afternoon, reflecting on his status as the leader of Romania's greatest generation... they only made it to the quarter finals....."

'Troll the Poles' has become the new national anthem for one very special evening

197230fe323cdc76f64f25ca9a3c932b.png

it's between Spain and Chile for the QF.... praying for the south americans...

28 minutes ago, LPQR said:

tbh, Turcu would be a much better fit for that:

Image result for horse 88c20ef2b41150e44223d2f4983d9d10.png

please spot the differences....

I'm just blinded by the glorious manes on the both of them, can't see anything else :lol:.

You're doing well in that World Cup, good luck with the rest! Are you actually managing the NT though or just watching on?

Just now, oriole01 said:

I'm just blinded by the glorious manes on the both of them, can't see anything else :lol:.

You're doing well in that World Cup, good luck with the rest! Are you actually managing the NT though or just watching on?

haha, yeah, soundbite names all over

no, just watching on, although I'm snatching that NT job whenever I get a chance...

Glad to see the Spartan Revolution back, this was a fun career to follow.

Are you managing the national team, or is that under AI control? I noticed the team wasn't in blue so I'm guessing AI manager?

4 hours ago, noikeee said:

Glad to see the Spartan Revolution back, this was a fun career to follow.

Are you managing the national team, or is that under AI control? I noticed the team wasn't in blue so I'm guessing AI manager?

cheers and welcome back :)

AI control, I'm just rooting in front of my second hand TV and 50 quid couch in Bucharest

Just out of curiosity, do you play every game or do you instant result after you have figured out your system. I recently began a save in the Nigerian league and while my system works as we were well above our predicted relegation finish, my players are so bad, that I tend to instant result most of the games to avoid actually watching them play too much. I wonder how it was when you were coaching in the lower leagues.

20 minutes ago, kidthekid said:

Just out of curiosity, do you play every game or do you instant result after you have figured out your system. I recently began a save in the Nigerian league and while my system works as we were well above our predicted relegation finish, my players are so bad, that I tend to instant result most of the games to avoid actually watching them play too much. I wonder how it was when you were coaching in the lower leagues.

I only instant result when I'm confident of us being the better team. I've played pretty much all the matches in the 2nd division just as I've played all the Champions League fixtures in this save. I tend to be very adaptable tactically and I do make changes during the match if I see we could do something diffrent to get a result

12 hours ago, Fosse said:

Just read this thread from the start, fantastic read. Interesting case of the Baader-Meinhoff phenomenon though as I met a Moldovan girl in Madrid last week :D

haha, we're taking over the world mate, I'm telling you.... 

well, all 3 million of us...

f96a50be609e314d7256af5f507ffe40.png

On 17/04/2017 at 15:40, LPQR said:

cheers and welcome back :)

AI control, I'm just rooting in front of my second hand TV and 50 quid couch in Bucharest

Any intentions of taking over and managing club and country?

11 hours ago, LPQR said:

if the opportunity arises, definitely :)

So you're saying that the Romania job hasn't been open at all in the 10+ seasons that Sparta have been a domestic power? Hard to believe that.

1 hour ago, oriole01 said:

So you're saying that the Romania job hasn't been open at all in the 10+ seasons that Sparta have been a domestic power? Hard to believe that.

fortunately, that's not what I said :) it's only in the last 3-4 seasons that I've taken interest in getting the NT job, didn't really give it too much thought before

right, this is me officially kicking off the campaign to get this thread 5 star - rated. Karma points and reasonable tactical advice are on the table so ignore the sales pitch and hit them stars!

• 4 weeks later...

a rough and unexpected ending....

well.... it has come to this, apparently. after numerous attempts of getting the save on track, there seems to be no way to avoid the game crashing. Apparently all those custom leagues and graphics played their evil part. Of course... a pity to have these problems now that we've put together quite a competitive team with a number of exciting stars in the squad. I will probably give it another wild shot sometimes in the future, hoping karma will reward me for all the effort I've put into this save. Until then... it's been emotional :) 

Thanks to everyone that was here throughout this journey - I hope you enjoyed 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

still wounded by the abrupt ending of this save and the 'so close yet so far' factor in the European leagues, and.... of course with FM18 on my hands now, I'm considering a new Spartan save for FM18 :) 

just a routine check on who I can count on board for this!

giphy.gif

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

Archived