[FM17] The Pep Guardiola Story Starts Again

Northernpilgrim

Hello, and welcome to my FM17 save. I've decided to do something a bit different this year, and it's probably the most difficult challenge I've ever undertaken.

The Challenge

This challenge, as the title suggests, is based on the career of Pep Guardiola. I'm going to try to win every trophy he has managed to (including the minor ones), in the same timescale. I will also take a 'sabbatical' at the same stage he did, and will watch games during that time, posting updates from the football world. I will create the vacancy at the next club at the appropriate time, but it'll still be up to my manager to get the job, I won't re-invent myself.

My Manager

I have, with the help of the FM Community, managed to almost exactly replicate Pep Guardiola's attributes from the 2007/8 season, and so here he is

Guardiola.PNG

and here are his managerial stats to date

Guardiola stats.PNG

The starting point

Barcelona B job.PNG

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

34 minutes ago, Keano16 said:

Interesting concept, following.

Great to have you on board :) . Forgot to add to my previous post that I'm also looking to replicate Pep's playing style, so I'm currently building a 4-3-3 and 3-4-3, both of which he has used with Barcelona and Bayern. I'll post it as soon as they are done, and if anyone has any feedback to make them more 'authentically Pep', I'd appreciate the comments.

I'd imagine the real challenge here is jumping from B to A?

I managed Barca B once on a save, and managed to do well enough to get an offer from Espanyol, but that's a whole(and much smaller) different kettle of fish than Barcelona.

11 minutes ago, BoxToBox said:

I'd imagine the real challenge here is jumping from B to A?

I managed Barca B once on a save, and managed to do well enough to get an offer from Espanyol, but that's a whole(and much smaller) different kettle of fish than Barcelona.

Yes, of course that will be a big challenge, I was more meaning that even though I'm 'only' managing the B Team, I still need to win the league to match Pep's achievement. I'm also going to need to get my Pro Licence this season as well

11 minutes ago, Northernpilgrim said:

Yes, of course that will be a big challenge, I was more meaning that even though I'm 'only' managing the B Team, I still need to win the league to match Pep's achievement. I'm also going to need to get my Pro Licence this season as well

Sorry! I should have been clearer, that was more a general question about the entire save/story, rather than a direct reply to your last post.

Winning a league with a B-Team is always a massive challenge, especially since you're never 100% sure what players you have from week to week.

1 hour ago, Keano16 said:

It's going well so far! Hope you can keep it up! Will you be manually putting yourself into the first team role when the time comes?

Thanks Keano16 :) Yes, as stated in my opening post, if the vacancy isn't there at the appropriate time, I will create it, but I will not 'reinvent' my Pep Guardiola, I'll apply for the job and hopefully get it. I've just been linked in the press with the Fulham job, but I obviously said I wasn't interested.

Just now, -Ironhide- said:

Have any of your stats increased from the beginning? If not KUTGW!

I've not looked, but your question has given me an idea. Given that the save is all about emulating Pep Guardiola, I'll post season by season comparisons of our records, and also an updated screenshot showing my manager's attributes at the end of each season.

We didn't win the final game

May 2017.PNG

but took the title

May 2017 table.PNG

and given that 2 minutes of added time was signalled, and their goal came in the 4TH added minute, I'm very disappointed. It's happened far too many times this season. I'm also disappointed with their goal.

My contract at Barcelona B expires in a week, and as yet I've not been offered the Barcelona job, nor have I been told I've been unsuccessful. I've so far refused to sign a new Barcelona B contract, but with time running out, I'm not sure what to do. Given the point of the challenge, I guess the right thing to do is to sign with Barcelona B again, try to win the Segunda Division, and then apply for or generate the Barcelona job again next summer?

Ideally I'd like another striker in the squad, but as I've previously said, I don't get to choose who comes in or gets sold. The squad looks full of potential, but it's light on current quality, which is a problem as I'm looking to move on sooner rather than later.

On ‎31‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 07:08, -Ironhide- said:

Unlucky that your save file went bad, hopefully the next round of fixtures will be easier...

It wasn't a corrupted save luckily. I reached the end of transfer deadline day without realising the board had sanctioned the sale of both my goalkeepers, and had sent me a Barcelona keeper instead. He wasn't registered, and I had forgotten to save at the start of deadline day as I normally do. I thought I had saved it so expected to be taken back to deadline day morning, only to find myself at kickoff time ahead of the Reus game. I could have replayed to try to get the same result, but this feels more honest. I know some people might think I should have accepted my error, but my reasoning is I got no message warning me I didn't have a keeper in the squad, and in real life an Ass Man or my PA would have said something to prevent the mistake happening.

We had a wobble at the start of October, then responded really well

Oct 2017.PNG

and we're (for now at least) looking up, rather than down

Oct 2017 table.PNG

and the month included a sweet 2-0 victory over Real Madrid's B team that was even more comprehensive than the scoreline suggests, and included a goal that, if it had been the first team, would have been shown around the world

Archived