Sports Interactive Community
Sign in to follow this  
ChlewnyKnur

FM17 Engine Improvements - So How is it?

Hey there everyone!

Dear friends who have had the opportunity to test the new product and have played for a bit. So just as many others I'm not exactly excited by what FM17 is bringing, but after hearing all the official hype about improvements to the engine—especially concerning players being smarter—I'm genuinely curious if some of the good old crappy things got fixed or if it's just the standard case of empty promises. So:

1. Do players still do dumb stuff that no sane real football player would do? E.g. not trapping the ball when in no immediate danger and just kicking/heading it into nowhere/opponent 100% of the time when presented with the option of counterattacking against no opposition or doing the same instead of simply retaining possession and starting a new play? Or kicking the ball a few centimeters when at the goal line instead of getting it safely cleared so that the opponent can score? Or regularly tackling the ball straight at the enemy forward in front of the goal? Or being invisible when a simple cross is going through them? Or not blocking any damn crosses contrary to what normal full backs do? Or, you know, a hundred other frustrating things we've all come to experience over and over, and over and over... and over.

2. Are long shots on target still as rare as unicorns? I understand that in reality long shots are often off target, sometimes terribly off target, but in the games I watch—even below the highest level—stuff I see in FM with this level of regularity is simply not the case. Someone like Pogba with 20 long shots should be able to hit the target pretty regularly, right? Or at least his shots should show promise most of the time. I see more and better long shots on target in the Polish 2nd division than in FM. 'Shoots from Distance' for the right player shouldn't be an automatic curse.

3. How is the goalie behavior? Have they started going forward to intercept the simplest through balls/crosses instead of just standing there and waiting for the far post closer to push the ball into the net or other ****** stuff to happen? You know... like every professional goalkeeper out there? What about one on ones? Do they still tend to just stand in one spot like trees or do they at least attempt to block the shots and make it hard on the opponents? Goalie behavior has got to be the most frustrating thing I've experienced in FM. It's just that in FM15 and 16 (can't speak confidently for older versions) world class goalies make worse decisions than most of the friends I used to play with when I was 13. And that's not because my friends were any good...

I guess I'll stop at the stuff that I'm most curious about before I end up with a list of a dozen points. What pisses you off in the FM16 engine and can someone speak to the actual improvements they've noticed in 17?

Thanks!

PS. Are the transfers more realistic now or still a joke? E.g. Will players still decide to hate me and never talk to me again because I offered them a few bucks less than they wanted instead of negotiating like normal people do? Do AI clubs still get to pay pennies for superstars?

1) yes

2)no

3)much better

overall improved but still many issues to resolve.  I usually like to watch the full match but I just find the ME boring ( and have done since FM 2013 ) so it's just highlights now for me.

players still are stupid yes.

what I do like is now that the things I see look realistic.. no more tackles from silly angles sending the ball in a random direction no more players falling over randomly etc.

These are the match stats for one of my opponents recently

8b093b72498d47742ebed238a6e4e2db.png

So I'm afraid players are still way too trigger happy from distance. I have seen a few nice long range goals though and more long shots seem to be actually saved (or blocked). Free kicks are still horribly lacking in variety. Very few are saved or hit against the wall, it's still either row z or a goal.

Thanks so much for the replies guys! Aktsjon Mann, what you said made me think of another thing. In FM15 I've seen direct free hits result in goals at least some of the time, even by weaker players in that department, but in FM16 I don't recall it happen at all in the 6 seasons I played through. Is it anywhere close to real world, where top players score 10-15% of their direct kicks?

More stuff that I'd like to ask about: I've often taught my players round keeper and lob keeper PPMs depending on their skillset, but I haven't actually ever seen someone dribble past a keeper or lob him. Is it just me or there haven't been any animations programmed for this and these PPMs are just for lolz? Have these incredibly important animations been added in 17?

Also, how are reaction times for players? Something that drives me nuts is that my players will never move for a rebound when my goalie parries or when the ball hits woodwork. They just wait until one of the opponents scores, sometimes it just looks comical. Goalies also seem to only have one save in them, even with very high reflexes. They are just so slow to get up or react to follow ups.

Could you guys elaborate a bit more on the stuff I've used for examples? Are there any of the above behaviors that you haven't seen in 17?

I'm playing with Benfica, they are performing very well on long shots, most of them on target and some great goals

Edited by inacion

Do AI goalkeepers and outfield players still refrain from taking goal kicks, free kicks, throw ins or corners for anything up to 45 seconds when there is only about 2 minutes left without receiving a booking?  Think this must be my biggest bugbear with previous versions.

Edited by Sussex Hammer