dafuge's South American tour

dafuge

Just now, Adelaidean said:

I'm sure I remember you playing in South America more recently than that. *Goes to check*

Ah - you spent three seasons at Botafogo in your FM11 journeyman save, resigning after the chairman sold all your best players :D

I'd forgotten all about that!

I've definitely got unfinished business in Brazil then, that makes it twice I've failed to spend a decent amount of time there!

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On 10/25/2016 at 18:25, DB08 said:

Having spent a season in Uruguay's top flight, I think I can answer this. The 3 relegated clubs are shaded wrong. I think at the end of the season, you will find that Wanderers, Liverpool and Rampla Juniors will be relegated on average points over 3 years.

For the second question, the first playoff is between the winners of the Apertura and the Clausura. The winner of this tie (Defensor) advances to face the team that topped the overall points table for the season (Oriental). This one is the Champions Playoff and is played over two legs. I hope some of it makes sense.

Already posted this on Makoto's thread. Hope it helps you out. The second answer might be the one you are looking for.

4 minutes ago, DB08 said:

Already posted this on Makoto's thread. Hope it helps you out. The second answer might be the one you are looking for.

Nice one, so the Intermedio is fairly irrelevant then (apart from the points counting toward the overall table)?

Saying that, wouldn't the team that topped the overall table be likely to be one of the teams winning the apetura/clausura? Does that mean in that case they get two chances to win the title?

A team could do well in either the Apertura or the Clausura and be absolutely trash in the other. In that case, a team that consisently did well in both halves (say they came 2nd in both) could top the overall points table and go straight into the Champions Playoff. However, if they win one half AND top the overall points table, they do get 2 chances to win it as they have qualified for both the playoff and the champions playoff. If they win the playoff, they are automatically declared 'overall champions'. It's all a bit confusing.

23 minutes ago, DB08 said:

A team could do well in either the Apertura or the Clausura and be absolutely trash in the other. In that case, a team that consisently did well in both halves (say they came 2nd in both) could top the overall points table and go straight into the Champions Playoff. However, if they win one half AND top the overall points table, they do get 2 chances to win it as they have qualified for both the playoff and the champions playoff. If they win the playoff, they are automatically declared 'overall champions'. It's all a bit confusing.

That's brilliant, thanks for clearing it up for me.

I'm a fan of South America but must admit I'm a bit confused by this Uruguayan setup. Typically the Opening Stage and the Closing Stage would decide the "champion" of each, and there'd be no overall champion. When there's an overall points table usually that's just to decide continental qualification or relegation. And what's the point of the Intermedio? I don't get it.

1 minute ago, JMA said:

I'm enjoying it mate nice to see you places you have not been very much. Will this whole career be in South America? Will you consider Mexico or the States? 

I was planning on sticking to South America, so I didn't load the Mexican or US leagues.

Peñarol - Campeonato Uruguayo - 2020

We had a great finish to last season, but came up just short as we lost the playoff to Danubio. This season we were hopeful of going all the way.

Opening Stage - once again, Danubio got the better of us.

Intermedio - despite a nervy 0-0 in our final match, we went on to win it beating Fenix 3-0 in the final.

Closing Stage - we stormed it as Danubio were terrible.

Overall Table - thanks to the closing stage, we topped the overall table easily.

Playoff - we got our revenge on Danubio and avoided the need for the second playoff.

Copa Libertadores - we had an amazing run with the highlight the 4-0 win against River. It ended in the quarter final as Corinthians were far too good.

Squad - we still have a few weak spots, but it's hard to find players with the foreign player limit.

Transfers - I spent big on a left back, but it was a free transfer that made the biggest impact.

Finances -  a great profit, which will be spent on new facilities.

Key Player Profiles:

Cassiano - this striker was insanely good, until he suffered a terrible injury.

Lucas Paquetá - another Brazilian signing to grab the headlines.

Rodrigo Rivero - a decent signing, and he's Uruguayan.

Gastón Rodríguez - he was far better playing as a supporting striker.

Facundo Castro - my signing from last season is still a key player.

Career Overview:

Season     Team                 Country    League                          Position  Achievements
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2017       Huracán              Uruguay    Segunda División                3rd       Playoff finalists
2018       Huracán              Uruguay    Segunda División                1st       Promoted
2019       Peñarol              Uruguay    Campeonato Uruguayo             2nd       
2020       Peñarol              Uruguay    Campeonato Uruguayo             1st       Playoff winners
Next Season:

I have one season left on my contract and I'm wondering if should stick around after that. I've had to deal with so many unhappy players this season and there's not much opportunity to find replacements for them.

Peñarol - Campeonato Uruguayo - 2021

Last season we won the league title, but that golden generation of youth I inherited hadn't quite hit their peak yet.

Opening Stage - it came down to the final match, but we edged out Danubio.

Intermedio - Defensor Sporting pushed us all the way but we went on to beat my old club Huracán 4-0 in the final.

Closing Stage - we went unbeaten as we dominated the last half of the season.

Overall Table - we were streets ahead of the competition. I was expecting a playoff but didn't get one, presumably because we won both stages?

Super Cup - I'm assuming this is the winners of the league against the Intermedio winners?

Copa Libertadores - we couldn't match our efforts of last season, and then suffered an embarrassing defeat in the Sudamericana.

Squad - we are perhaps just a centre back or two short of an ideal squad.

Transfers - I signed a new right back to reduce our foreigners and a new striker to cover for Cassiano's injury.

Finances - it doesn't look great, but once again we have spent money on training facilities.

Key Player Profiles:

Francisco De Los Santos - the new striker was impressive to say the least.

Cassiano - he just about recovered from his injury, but he may not be our top striker any more.

Rodrigo Rivero - another great year for the winger.

Gabriel Duarte - our most valuable player, and our first cap since I took charge.

Jean Pierre Ruiz - the first new youth product I've got excited about since I've been here.

Career Overview:

Season     Team                 Country    League                          Position  Achievements
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2017       Huracán              Uruguay    Segunda División                3rd       Playoff finalists
2018       Huracán              Uruguay    Segunda División                1st       Promoted
2019       Peñarol              Uruguay    Campeonato Uruguayo             2nd       
2020       Peñarol              Uruguay    Campeonato Uruguayo             1st       Playoff winners
2021       Peñarol              Uruguay    Campeonato Uruguayo             1st       
Next Season:

I'm starting to feel as if I can't take this club any further without staying for ages, so next season could well be my last at the club. Annoyingly, my contract expires midseason.

1 minute ago, Holdii said:

So sounds like it is time to move on then? I'm low key hoping you manage in Argentina next, lots of great clubs with fantastic youth development.

I feel like I'm ready to move. We are dominating in Uruguay but can't really improve much beyond that due to the foreigners rules. There just aren't enough decent Uruguayan players around to build a squad capable of competing with the bigger clubs on the continent.

I can't wait to manage in Argentina (and Brazil) but I think I'll try out the other countries first.

Looking at the list, Chile, Peru, then Colombia looks like a decent order to go for. Then I'll spend a bit longer in Argentina/Brazil.

uQxIRGj.png

ddjw7iq.png

As my contract expired, I made the tough decision to walk away midseason and seek a new challenge as there were a number of clubs available in my ideal destination, Chile. Despite an opportunity to manage in the top flight, I instead chose to go to the second division to a club I felt had potential.

Club - there's no doubt this is a step down from Peñarol, but it is exactly the sort of club I was looking for.

Facilities - we have a decently sized stadium with a synthetic pitch, which might be a new one for me.

Finances - nothing to worry about, but the budgets are going to be tiny.

Squad - looks like there's plenty of youngsters with potential, but the chance to sign more foreigners should help me out.

League Table - the league looks straightforward, with ten games left we should be set for a safe midtable position.

Here's the Estadio Regional de Chinquihue:

CHINQUIHUE_11.jpg

And here's where I've moved to:

uxSoh1Y.png

26 minutes ago, noikeee said:

Aced Uruguay pretty easily in the end. I'm a bit confused by the move to such a small side in Chile, are you looking for a challenge on purpose?

Pretty much.

I wanted to build up a bit of experience in the league before moving to a bigger club, a bit like I did in Uruguay. I want to experience every division I have loaded in my game, so I'm in no hurry to move to the bigger clubs.

What I don't like about the Libertadores, at least based on limited experience in past versions, was how crammed together the scheduling was to make room for the Sudamericana later in the year. Still that situation you had was just ridiculous.

42 minutes ago, deltablue said:

What I don't like about the Libertadores, at least based on limited experience in past versions, was how crammed together the scheduling was to make room for the Sudamericana later in the year. Still that situation you had was just ridiculous.

It didn't seem to be a problem at Peñarol, although the Uruguayan league was pretty well spaced with no cups. I also didn't ever make it past the quarter finals!

Deportes Puerto Montt - Campeonato Loto - 2022

A new club in a new country, this season was going to be a short spell to finish off the year.

League Table - we were 10th when I took the job, so it was great to improve on that in my ten games in charge,

Copa Chile - my first game was the match after this defeat.

Squad - I'm trimmed the squad down, but we still badly need to strengthen it.

Transfers - the transfer window rules meant I couldn't sign anyone, not even free transfers.

Finances - not great, we made quite a loss while I was in charge.

Key Player Profiles:

Tomás Escalante - top scorer, but I see him as a supporting striker.

Juan Caroca - a solid defender, hopefully he'll change his mind and sign a new contract.

Bernardo Correa - looked decent, then broke his leg in my first match in charge.

Ricardo Ahumada - he was the only right winger at the club, hence the number of matches.

Luis González - one of a number of decent youth products already at the club.

Career Overview:

2017       Huracán               Uruguay    Segunda División                3rd       Playoff finalists
2018       Huracán               Uruguay    Segunda División                1st       Promoted
2019       Peñarol               Uruguay    Campeonato Uruguayo             2nd       
2020       Peñarol               Uruguay    Campeonato Uruguayo             1st       Playoff winners
2021       Peñarol               Uruguay    Campeonato Uruguayo             1st       
2022       Deportes Puerto Montt Chile      Primera B                       8th       Took over in July
Next Season:

I'm hoping I'll get the financial backing to build my own squad, so it could be a busy transfer window.

7 minutes ago, JMA said:

I think good decision to move to Chile but with that Transfer issue you may struggle, I would imagine youth is going to become important whilst playing in Chile. 

We should be ok, but there's not much chance of us improving much in the first half of the season.

I had a two week window in which I could only sign three players, it was torture!

Youth is going to be vital, I had to sign some of them just to make up the numbers. There's also a rule where two under 20s have to be named in the match squad.

On ‎30‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 18:50, MarcxD said:

Good luck in Chile, the transfer limitations seem like a bit of a challenge!

They are a bit different!

The transfer window is open for two weeks in January (but only three signings can be made) and one week at the end of June. Free transfers are treated just the same as any other transfer, which has caught me by surprise.

Sad I found this thread after you left Uruguay. 

The key for everyone I know who's led a Uruguayan team to success in the Libertadores or Sudamericana seems to be the Counterattack mentality (which, after all, has always been part of Uruguayan football's DNA).  

On 10/26/2016 at 10:43, DB08 said:

And people say we make sports complicated. :D

Archived