FM17 Conference National/North/South General Thread

trevjim

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Firehouse said:

How's it not relevant? Almost all sides are semi-pro, and Flyde are pro. And it gives them advantage at signing players as they are rather going to join professional side instead of semi-pro side.

I said it was all relevant? This thread is for National, North and South. Fylde aren't the only professional club in the three leagues. 

A couple of players I don't think have been mentioned here. I signed both in the first season of my Ebbsfleet save. I don't think either will be interested in joining semi-pro teams though.

Joe Wilkinson, DC, unattached at the start. Pacey, well rounded center back. Not particularly big or strong but like I said, a well rounded player with decent scores across the board and at 20 years, both time and room to develop. Was my best DC for the first two seasons playing as a CD/C next to a stronger and more aggressive center back. Fell down the pecking order in season 3, is still with me in League 2 in season 5. 2,5 CA according to my assistant.

Jake Cassidy, ST, at Guiseley on a non-contract at the start. Signed him around November first season when Aaron McLean got a long term injury. In his first season got 20 goals and 7 assists in 26 apps (7 off the bench), second season got 34 goals and 11 assists in 51 apps (15 from the bench) and was Vanarama National player of the year. Both seasons played mainly as an AF in a 442. 3rd season was injured quite a lot and played mainly as a lone striker in DLF/S role, 20 goals and 6 assists in 36 apps (7 off the bench). For the 4th season I made some tactical changes which made him obsolete, so I sold him for 20k to Port Vale.

4 hours ago, CityAndColour said:

Wilkinson went to Crewe in my current save, so that's a good get.

I actually signed him about a month or so into the pre-season, after deciding I would need another CB after all. Strange he was still unattached at that point if there is/could be interest in him from that level.

Started a new Hungerford save as I wasn't happy with my previous one - got promoted first time of asking playing a counter-attacking 4-1-4-1 system. Key players as follows:

Corby Moore - my first signing again. 13 goals and five assists from central midfield, and swept all the end of season awards. Unlike last time I was able to extend his contract too so I will have him in the Conference.

Fahad Rwakarambwe - another familar face. I played him in an AP(s) role this time and he kept things ticking over nicely, with four goals, three assists and an 89% pass completion rate.

Ellis Iandolo - a season long loan from Swindon, the teenage striker scored 18 times in 33 starts, including the goal which sealed the title.

Jordan Tunnicliffe - a season loan from Kidderminster, was my best defender. Unfortunately he wants too much in wages to make the move permanent.

Nicky Shorey - brilliant as an attacking full back, with five goals and eight assists.

Devontae Romeo - looks rubbish on paper but his pace and dribbling made him very effective as a right winger (three goals, seven assists). Doubt he can make the step up though.

Harry Baker - a season loan from Billericay of all places. Technically excellent but not much of an athlete, but gave me three goals and eight assists in a variety of attacking roles.

I also managed to sign right back Marvin McCoy late in the season and he is real quality for non-league level sides.

Trying to get my business done early for the new campaign. Last time I was too fussy which meant I struggled to sign anyone of real quality, and was promptly relegated. It's just hit mid-June of 2017 now and I have already signed the following:

Godfrey Poku - free from Oxford City, will slot straight in as a DMC.

Matty Whichelow - free from Wealdstone, will go straight into the XI as a right winger due to his dribbling ability and flair.

Sam Hatton - free from Welling, a versatile player with plenty of Conference experience with Grimsby, WImbledon and Aldershot.

Looking at a number of other names, including Charlie Sheringham (Ebbsfleet), Ugo Ujodi (Bromley), Femi Akinwande (Colchester) and Preston Edwards (Dulwich). Unfortunately missed out on the excellent Quade Taylor (Dulwich) after he understandably opted to join Tranmere instead.

Playing an Ebbsfleet save i was looking for a good Box to Box midfielder and found Chris Atkinson. As Ebbsfleet are professional he may not want to join semi-professional sides.

20170102154417_1.jpg

On 26/12/2016 at 19:11, FMB93 said:

I find this quite enjoyable:

4Ucgdvs.jpg

Is that your game mate? I'm playing as Woking currently in league 1. 

4 seasons in and struggling. Any tips on signings, formations etc?

I've just finished season 6 with Ebbsfleet. After struggling a bit for a couple of seasons in the Conference National, I've now managed three consecutive promotions, including winning the title in both Conference and League two, and will begin next season in the Championship! Also won the FA trophy along the way and the Checkatrade trophy or whatever it's called this season.

Graham%20Chapman_%20My%20History%20Achie

I was a bit worried about next season... I did get a transfer fund of 1 mill and 25k available wage budget, but there was very little affordable quality in the market, and I probably have only one good Championship quality player in the team, Callum Gribbin, who we signed last summer on a free. Anyway, then this happened...

Graham%20Chapman_%20%20Inbox-7_zpstxhhfz

Now I have a 4,5 mill transfer fund and 180k available wage budget. :D So, I'm a lot less worried about relegation now. Instead I'm worried about possible unreasonable board expectations (which haven't been set yet) that might see me get sacked if I don't do well enough. Especially as, even though I'm a club icon by now and currently untouchable, the initial message from the new owner stated that my performance would be judged starting from the takeover completion, so past successes have no bearing. Interesting times ahead.

On 1/5/2017 at 10:16, bucket said:

Is that your game mate? I'm playing as Woking currently in league 1. 

4 seasons in and struggling. Any tips on signings, formations etc?

I actually didn't spend a penny until I got promoted to the Premiership. I always signed a players for free, but I have to say that I have spent many hours to find suitable free players. Here are some screenshots of my transfers in Vanarama leagues and Sky Bet league 1, Sky Bet League 2 etc.:

yEf8Ufw.jpg

XAWT1JT.jpg

1w5l7Mn.jpg

LOBSd4p.jpg

o3E5Asy.jpg

6lYQ8Uf.jpg

1ZSEHPS.jpg

Octt3BJ.jpg

Dg9PRZK.jpg

wMGP3tN.jpg

Also, regarding tactics, I always tried to adapt it to the players I have. But as long as I had good or average team, I played 4-3-3 with a lot of success. You can try it out for yourself. I had a lot of success with it in the Championship and Sky Bet league 1. Also, if you have weak defense, I wouldn't suggest it.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/3au1u28fgg2519z/Championship_2F06CBE0-DA7A-46A1-B4DB-265484FD2A08.fmf

And I would highly recommend Macauley Bonne and Rekeil Pyke for signing. Here are their stats:

Macauley Bonne:

GkWzJea.jpg

Rekeil Pyke:

frFMkwW.jpg

One of the best transfer windows I've had after being promoted from the CN/S...

nUoHMRa.jpg

Skrzyniaez is a sensational 'keeper for this level, and starts the game at Romsey Town (although costs compo).

Sesay, Montaño and Morgan-Smith were all signed from clubs in L2, using the "allow player to treat the club as a stepping stone" promise, and I also managed to make Tunnicliffe's loan permanent after he was so good for us last season.

Have started quite well, going 4-2-4 after the first 10 games, and we were the better side in three of those losses. Performances are much better than my previous attempts at this level and I think this is down both to a more defensively-focused tactic and a squad made up mainly of players rated good for this level, rather than leading/good CN/S players.

Did you start over again just because you got relegated? Good start this time around and some good signings. I'm planning a lower league save soon just need to decide what team. Want to start in either the North or South though.

9 hours ago, fraz86 said:

Did you start over again just because you got relegated? Good start this time around and some good signings. I'm planning a lower league save soon just need to decide what team. Want to start in either the North or South though.

Not really. I'd gotten promoted back to the Conference again and stayed there, but then had an off-season where I couldn't sign anyone, club was in a really poor financial state and I wanted to try a different tactical approach which I didn't really have the squad for. I actually started again intending to use a different team but then decided to give Hungerford another go.

How's Montano on the game CAC? I had him on FM15 with Oldham and he was pretty good down the left. Obviously things went on IRL and he's now at Bristol Rovers I believe, so quite strange to see him in the National on the game. 

11 minutes ago, Gunner 101 said:

How's Montano on the game CAC? I had him on FM15 with Oldham and he was pretty good down the left. Obviously things went on IRL and he's now at Bristol Rovers I believe, so quite strange to see him in the National on the game. 

Montaño

I am quite surprised I was able to get him - on paper he looks good enough for the better teams in the Conference, and he was willing to sign on pretty cheap wages too.

He is currently my top scorer with four goals, however neither of the roles my tactic uses really suit him - left wing is a WM(s), lone striker is a DLF(s). Still he is good enough to perform anyway it seems.

8 minutes ago, CityAndColour said:

Montaño

I am quite surprised I was able to get him - on paper he looks good enough for the better teams in the Conference, and he was willing to sign on pretty cheap wages too.

He is currently my top scorer with four goals, however neither of the roles my tactic uses really suit him - left wing is a WM(s), lone striker is a DLF(s). Still he is good enough to perform anyway it seems.

Great signing that mate. Finishing and composure could be better I guess if you're looking at playing him up top. 

I've seen some tight league tables in my time, but this is ridiculous:

Sky%20Bet%20Championship_%20Overview%20P

1st and 14th separated by 8 points :lol:

I've played most of the best teams twice already, so I should have a great chance of making the playoffs at least. But with the table looking like that, absolutely anything between mid table and title is possible. Should we get promoted, I think we'd be the worst side to ever play in the premier league by some distance,

On 06/01/2017 at 23:48, FMB93 said:

I actually didn't spend a penny until I got promoted to the Premiership. I always signed a players for free, but I have to say that I have spent many hours to find suitable free players. Here are some screenshots of my transfers in Vanarama leagues and Sky Bet league 1, Sky Bet League 2 etc.:

yEf8Ufw.jpg

XAWT1JT.jpg

1w5l7Mn.jpg

LOBSd4p.jpg

o3E5Asy.jpg

6lYQ8Uf.jpg

1ZSEHPS.jpg

Octt3BJ.jpg

Dg9PRZK.jpg

wMGP3tN.jpg

Also, regarding tactics, I always tried to adapt it to the players I have. But as long as I had good or average team, I played 4-3-3 with a lot of success. You can try it out for yourself. I had a lot of success with it in the Championship and Sky Bet league 1. Also, if you have weak defense, I wouldn't suggest it.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/3au1u28fgg2519z/Championship_2F06CBE0-DA7A-46A1-B4DB-265484FD2A08.fmf

And I would highly recommend Macauley Bonne and Rekeil Pyke for signing. Here are their stats:

Macauley Bonne:

GkWzJea.jpg

Rekeil Pyke:

frFMkwW.jpg

Well done mate. That's some going. I resigned from Woking, the board were just not ambitious at all. So I decided to bite the bullet and leave. Went to AZ in Holland but only stayed there for a few months. Currently managing Werder Bremen, just starting the 2020/21 season, after keeping them up in the previous season. Feels quite strange having money to spend!!

A nervy finish, but...

Graham%20Chapman_%20%20Inbox-10_zpsri0zh

My first ever! :D

On the last day we either needed to beat Brighton at home or Burnley to drop points at Wigan (who were already relegated). We only managed a 0-0 but Burnley lost 3-2, so up we go.

Sky%20Bet%20Championship_%20Overview%20P

We had a thoroughly brilliant unbeaten run extending over several months, then our form went completely down the toilet in the last five games. Partially because we had the worst injury crisis I've had yet on this save, as we only had three fit players for the front three available for a couple of games. And obviously those missing were mostly the better players.

Ebbsfleet%20United_%20%20Senior%20Fixtur

Next year will be interesting to say the least. We'll be playing at Millwall's stadium as our own stadium is being expanded to meet the requirements. Our capacity was only 5k for this season, was sold out for most games. After expansion it will still only be 12,5k, just enough to meet prem requirements. I've been given very little money to spend (all things considered) with transfer fund at 7 million and wage budget at 470k. As the current squad is probably mid table championship quality at best, I can definitely see us struggling badly. Hopefully the board expectation will be only to attempt to avoid relegation. Ideally I would want to sign two starting full backs, maybe one starting center back and two starting midfielders. Probably a target man type striker as well. Hopefully we can sign several of those on free transfers, but we'll see.

Speaking of players growing with the team:

Aaron%20Kuhl_%20History%20Career%20Stats

Unfortunately it's probably end of the line for him now, I don't think he can hack it in the prem even as a backup as he struggled at times in the past two seasons already.

Just approaching the new year now and we've managed to scrap our way to 10th place, with both the worst attack (22 goals scored) and the best defence (21 conceded) in the league after 26 matches.

We have been particularly impressive against the so-called "bigger" clubs of the division, doing the double over Barrow, beating York 3-0 away, beating Accrington at home and severely outplaying them away in a 0-1 loss, and getting impressive draws at home to runaway leaders Gateshead and away to Wrexham. We have also shown a habit of snatching a late winner, with three 1-0 wins decided with goals inside the last 10 minutes.

We even had a run of seven consecutive clean sheets, although that led into an injury crisis which has seen us really have to dig in for points over the festive period. The biggest loss was inspirational captain Corby Moore who dislocated a shoulder, while his regular midfield partner Fahad Rwakarambwe damaged his cruciate ligaments in the pre-season. We also lost 'keeper Skrzyniarz and our best defender Alie Sesay for periods too but managed to keep firm.

Still a long way to go but with key players returning in the new year and our counter-attacking system proving very hard to break down, I am feeling pretty good about the last 20 games.

Interesting to see all those transfers listed - I am managing blyth in League 1 and see a lot of players I've approached but only a couple I've managed to sign myself (Cameron Evans + Tolaji Bola)

So far I've just got into December and only lost 2 league games, so despite the media prediction of 24th and 1000-1 for promotion, assuming no major issues, we should go up.

First season in the Conference completed, and I am very pleased with our performance overall:

foztEUi.jpg]

While only three teams scored less goals than us, we finished with comfortably the best defensive record in the division, conceding only 34 goals (despite losing Tunnicliffe to injury for more than half the season).

Selection consistency was the key. Despite a few key injuries throughout, we had six players start more than 40 games, which included GK, DC, DL, DR and DM, so it is no wonder we had such a formidable defensive record. It was at the other end where we struggled, with no player hitting double figures for goals - it basically meant if we scored first we were a great chance to win, but if we conceded first we found it tough to get back into the match. When we drew, often it was 0-0 (eight times).

Most pleasing was our record against the bigger clubs. While we were patchy against the teams in and around the bottom, we were phenomenal against the bigger sides. We did the double over Barrow and Morecambe (including 4-1 away!), smashed York 3-0 away, while we also picked up home wins against Eastleigh, Wrexham and Accrington, and two draws against runaway champions Gateshead.

From a player point of view, the skipper Moore was without peer, with seven goals, eight assists and on the shortlist for the divisional player of the season award, despite missing two months with a dislocated shoulder. Between the sticks Skrzyniarz kept 18 clean sheets in 41 starts (before also dislocating his shoulder late on),  and in front of him Sesay made 752 interceptions, won 88 key headers and was named man of the match eight times, more than any other player in the league. In the fullback spots both McCoy and the evergreen Shorey were wonderfully consistent, and Poku and Whichelow both averaged 7+ as the holding mid and right winger respectively. Crawley loanee Payne also performed really strongly, striking up a really good midfield partnership with the captain.

Top performer: Corby Moore (7.33 avg rating in 39 appearances)
Top scorer: Amari Morgan-Smith & Cristian Montano (9)
Most assists: Corby Moore (8)
Most P-o-t-M: Alie Sesay (8)

Obviously the biggest concern is up front. Despite looking good on paper, neither striker was able to adequately perform within the system, certainly not the way Ellis Iandolo was able to do last season. They both still have a year to run so they will be kept, however first priority will be to find a striker more suited to playing as a DLF(s) in the 4-5-1.

Looking forward to the off-season, as we have most of our key players under contract. The only exceptions are Moore and McCoy, however I am well over the wage allowance so will need to wait until the budgets reset before I will be able to offer them acceptable terms.

Been giving AFC Flyde a go. Got promoted first season as you may expect but I thought the team would be good enough for the conference. I found myself too close to the bottom for my liking so I cleared half the team out and brought half a new team!, It sill isn't perfect but we are now around 8th at the half way stage. Finding good defenders is tricky.

16 hours ago, KevinLFC said:

Been giving AFC Flyde a go. Got promoted first season as you may expect but I thought the team would be good enough for the conference. I found myself too close to the bottom for my liking so I cleared half the team out and brought half a new team!, It sill isn't perfect but we are now around 8th at the half way stage. Finding good defenders is tricky.

Also just started with AFC Fylde (mainly due to their class stadium) So far I'm unbeaten and without Danny Rowe who has been injured since pre-season.

Signed a couple of young players on loan... nothing special but good enough for VNN.

George Newell already on loan from Brighton seems to have a bit of potential

but the main guy I've been impressed with is Lateef Elford-Alliyu who I got on a free... gave him a 1 year deal and by the end of September I had given him a 1 year extension.... the 15 goals in 11 games swayed me to offer it.

Have just reached the halfway point of our second Conference season, and it's been a good'un. We are currently right in the mix for a playoff spot, sitting 4th with a 10-9-4 record. Importantly we've been able to retain the defensive solidity of last season (17 goals conceded in 23 matches) but also add firepower, scoring 30 times so far.

The biggest difference has been adding a good striker in Christian Doidge. The big man has scored nine times in 13 starts since signing at the end of September, and has linked up extremely well with right winger Whichelow, who has seven assists and an average rating of 7.31.

Still haven't been able to put together a good FA Cup run unfortunately, which is necessary with our financial situation being dire at best.

I am in my 9th season after bringing my level 13 team to Vanarama National League.

What kind of players are people trying to sign. I am in 2025-2026 Season so a lot of the big names are gone now.

Any help would be great as I need to clear my debt so looks like selling all my players

Also, what size squads do people have across senior, U23s and U18s.

I am currently managing Forest Green. We have been promoted to League Two. We won the league by quite a margin. Below is the transfer for the 1st season as well as the final standings.

1st Season Transfers:

Forest%20Green%201st%20season%20-%20Tran

End of Season 1 Table:

Forest%20Green%201st%20season%20-%20Prom

On 2nd season in League Two. Our transfer budget given was only ard 20k. So I had to resort to selling our best player, GK Alexander Gogic to Stoke for 145k. Currently sitting on 2nd place with so many more matches to go.

2nd Season Table:

Forest%20Green%202nd%20season%20-%20Leag

2nd Season Transfers:

Forest%20Green%202nd%20season%20-%20Tran

On 30/01/2017 at 21:13, Matt Cox said:

I am in my 9th season after bringing my level 13 team to Vanarama National League.

What kind of players are people trying to sign. I am in 2025-2026 Season so a lot of the big names are gone now.

Any help would be great as I need to clear my debt so looks like selling all my players

Also, what size squads do people have across senior, U23s and U18s.

I wouldn't worry about debt at that level - it is almost impossible to not lose money unless you manage an FA Cup run and a big away fixture. You will run at a loss, especially as a part time club.

I don't even run an u23s squad until I get to Championship level, as I don't see the point. If they are too old for the u18s and not good enough to be involved in the first team, there's no point paying them in the lower leagues.

Second season in the Conference and we improved our position to 7th, albeit only a point better off than last time around.

3U67oCQ.jpg

We matched our excellent defensive record conceding only 34 again, and this time at least scored a few more which gave us both a healthy goal difference and only 10 losses, which only the top two bettered. Unfortunately our inability to turn draws into wins ultimately cost us a playoff spot.

Unfortunately I was unable to convince Shorey to play on, although he more than held his own throughout his last season with a 7+ average rating. His full back mate McCoy was probably our best player overall, while Moore scooped yet another fans' gong with 10 goals from midfield. New signing Sam Wedgbury was also important with nine assists. Up front, I thought I had found the solution with Doidge scoring nine goals in quick time. Unfortunately he then scored twice in his next 19 starts, leading to me falling out when I threatened the axe and put him in the under 23s when he disagreed. I brought him back for the last two matches and he scored twice, and has a year to go on his deal, so I am unsure what I will do there.

Top performer: Marvin McCoy (7.17 avg rating in 41 appearances)
Top scorer: Christian Doidge (13)
Most assists: Sam Wedgbury, Matty Whichelow (9)
Most P-o-t-M: Matty Whichelow (5)

The goal obviously has to be playoffs now, although I would be happy with consistent top half finishes until we can get a cup run or two to try and fix our finances. We are still the smallest club in the division and as you can see from the screenshot, the only part-time outfit in the top ten.

Tranmere were in and around the drop zone up until January, but then somehow managed to sign Garath McCleary and Jay-Emmanuel Thomas (I have no idea how at this level) which pushed them right up. They will be the team to beat next season.

Should add that Whichelow also won the league player of the season award, with six goals and eight assists.

Also finally got a youth player who has a chance at the first team, at least while I am still in the lower leagues:

8HMyewV.jpg

Not sure he's ever going to be a centre half at 5'6 and with a jumping reach of 3 and bravery of 5, but if he can improve his marking and positioning he could be a solid right back.

Are there certain criteria you need to meet before you can go from Semi Pro to Pro?  Got Stockport promoted first season via the play offs, the board agreed to go Pro, the progress bar filled up all the way but nothing happened (I must have missed a news item surely).  It's now a season later and I'm still Semi Pro, the option to ask to go Pro came up again and the board said they didn't trust me enough (even though I'm listed as untouchable in the job security page)

I've now improved my training facilities and bought back the stadium so have a 6m loan against the club so I have probably missed the opportunity, I doubt I can get promoted as a semi pro club as attracting 'next level' players is proving difficult

As an aside Stockport are a really good side to start off with in Conference North, decent starting squad and my bank balance went from approx. 200k to 2m in 2 seasons without selling any players.

5 minutes ago, CityAndColour said:

Would be a combination of things - finances, supporter base, crowds, sponsorship etc.

Once you make it into League Two you will automatically go pro anyway.

So them agreeing to go Pro then the change not happening?  Could they have cancelled it?  Seems strange if so as finances only got better and I went on to get promoted

Starting to get job offers now so may leave to a club at the same level who is Pro

You might have missed a news item about the board scrapping plans to turn professional, or it might just be a bug. I love scrapping it as a part time club in the Conference, as it makes success and finding that great signing even more rewarding.

• 2 weeks later...

Not been on fm since beginning of Jan but had a quick go other day on my York save I'm in pre season of 3rd season after taking over with them not doing too well in season 1 I managed to steady the ship and win the FA Trophy then season 2 I managed to finish 2nd and get to the Trophy final again but lost to Sutton in the final and lost in the play off semis, spent about 3 hours scouring Europe for potential transfer targets and have found some decent players to sign to make an assault on the title and another trophy to add to the collection

• 2 weeks later...

Great thread, this. Has anyone found any decent coaches that will come down to the National League? Looks like I have to load more nations than I expected. Think I only found 40% of the players listed on here despite a 70,000-strong database.

Just started a game with my hometown club Torquay. Not going great in real life for us at the moment but 13 games into the season and we are sitting 4th in the table at the moment. Been using a 4-2-4 formation, getting the ball up top quickly.

Made a few notable signings, brought in Devarn Green (19 pace and acceleration), which I think is a great signing for this level. I was surprised that he signed, and with that pace he should make a big impact against the defenders in this league. I'm playing him on the right wing at the moment and focusing attacks down this side using his pace and it seems to be working, he's getting assists and a few goals as well. Brought in Jason Williams on loan from Southend, and George McLennan at left back on a free. He's only 20yrs old and has been awesome so far.

I'm currently over my wage budget but I'm hoping that this will pay off if we can get promoted or get a good FA cup run. 

Archived