FM17 Conference National/North/South General Thread

trevjim

On 08/03/2017 at 11:40, @Mike_THFC said:

Great thread, this. Has anyone found any decent coaches that will come down to the National League? Looks like I have to load more nations than I expected. Think I only found 40% of the players listed on here despite a 70,000-strong database.

Brede Hangeland (def & tactics), Dan Micciche (all rounder), Stuart Holden (all rounder), Remy Tang (fitness), Marcus Hahnemann (GoalKeeping), Nick Dawes (Physio), Becky Knight (Physio), Mel Singleton (Physio) Some off the top of my head that i usually go for to cover all the areas.

Just won the Vanarama South undefeated in a season, didn't win manager of the year award or even place in the top 3.:idiot:

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Riccardo German (Chesterfield) - Got him on loan for Southport in my 1st season, banged 20 in 24 so far and he's only 17.

Reece Webb-Foster (Bradford) - Also on loan, not quite as prolific as German but together they've put me top of the league on their own. He's got 17 in 26.

Josh Thompson (Southport) - Already there, quality in the air.

Jordan Lussey (Southport) - Might have to wait a season for him but he has been unbelievable, 7.70 average rating in 28 games.

Aleksander Gogic (Free) - Keeper from USA, solid stats for the conference. 6ft 6 which is always nice.

George Swan (Free) - CB only 20/21, didn't sign him but would be quality for Vanarama North/South, used to be at Man City, solid stats all-round.

6 hours ago, brfcboy said:

just started a new game with chorley in national league north - local club 

Can anyone recommend any good right and left wingers available on free transfers 

Cheers

Luca Crudo <- might not appear in your game depending on leagues loaded
Josh Gordon <- can play boths wings and up front
Aimone Calì <- might not appear in your game depending on leagues loaded
Taylor Tombides <- plays Centre mid and right wing
Liam Coogans <- striker but can play left and right wings
Jack Hartley <- 18y/o but is good enough for north/south divisions and has potential to develop into a League 2 player

On 3/17/2017 at 13:10, brfcboy said:

just started a new game with chorley in national league north - local club 

Can anyone recommend any good right and left wingers available on free transfers 

Cheers

Aidan Austin (MA-L), think 18 at the start, has been with me (Dartford) for 2,5 season. Should at least do decent until League 2. So far still improving season after season. Not sure whether he is still available with the latest update though

In my first season with Lincoln. A few games to go. Promotion secured to League Two and in the FA Trophy final. I jumped on the Lincoln bandwagon after their real life exploits. I've made a fair few mistakes in this save despite success. Firstly, signing anyone and everyone. Selling players is difficult. Don't expect a fee for any of your dead wood. I've bought 15 and sold/loaned 15. Below are my successful signings. Won't bother listing the bad signings, although Dale Jennings has been a huge disappointment.

Good buys: Josh Thompson - Southport 50k - my captain

Mateusz Halambiec - 23k - Morpeth

Ian McLoughlin - free - Excellent 'keeper

Ricardo Fuller - free - only negative as he can get a few bad injuries

Richard Eckersley - brilliant RB

German - free - Spanish left back. Sensational

Paul Heffernan - free - Absolute legend at this level

Finally - I was lucky enough to have Lee Angol on loan from Peterborough. Sign him on loan if you can. 43 league goals for me.

On 3/13/2017 at 22:42, SteveUK said:

Brede Hangeland (def & tactics), Dan Micciche (all rounder), Stuart Holden (all rounder), Remy Tang (fitness), Marcus Hahnemann (GoalKeeping), Nick Dawes (Physio), Becky Knight (Physio), Mel Singleton (Physio) Some off the top of my head that i usually go for to cover all the areas.

Just won the Vanarama South undefeated in a season, didn't win manager of the year award or even place in the top 3.:idiot:

Well spotted @SteveUK, Brede Hangeland (def & tactics), Dan Micciche (all rounder) are top in the Conference. I can't find the others in my large database. Cheers

Hi! I´m from Argentina and wanted to start a career with Dover Athletic. In reality they play with a formation 3 4 3  and i wanted to ask if someone tried that formation in a lower league. Also help me some recommendations of signings. Thanks to all !!

Gutted to say the least, haven't been playing my Torquay save much recently, but started again in the last couple of days. Had a second round FA cup tie against Woking away, winnable game to put me in the third round and to gain some much needed income against a big team?! We'd lost a couple of games beforehand and I adjusted my tactics slightly, and proceeded to go 4-0 by half time :( chucked my centre back with 16 heading and good strength up front as a target man, two poachers, wingers and midfielders pushed up and four left in defence, basically playing six upfront. I did manage to score four, but unfortunately Woking managed to score another three, and went on to draw Chelsea away in the third round :mad:

What makes it worse was the next league match was against...Woking. And I won 3-1. :rolleyes:

Enjoying a save with Boston United, won the Conference North by ten points in our first season and now sitting 4th in the Conference National after 14 games, which I'm very happy with! Some of my better signings include:

• Yvan Wassi - D (RLC) - Free Agent - Has been ever present at right back for me since the beginning of the save. Highly recommended at this level and I reckon he'll be capable of performing in League 2.
  • Dante Leverock - D (C) - Ilkeston (Free) - Solid centre back, highly rated. He was quite inconsistent to begin with in the Conference North, but has stood out in the Conference this year so far.
  • Germaine Ofori - AM (RC), ST (C) - Free Agent - Our top scorer in the Conference North, a must buy at that level. Hasn't featured as much in the Conference National due to the signing of Andrei Pavel.
  • Andrei Pavel - ST (C) - FC Romania (Free) - Solid striker, scoring regularly in the Conference National. 

Also, look at Adam Chapman at Boston United. Highly creative and serves as a quality playmaker in the centre of midfield.

So I lost my York save while trying to sort out my PC 😡 Hopped around about 10 short saves since and then started unemployed again and got the Alfreton Town job who were 18th in the Vanarama North, not had the best of starts while playing about with roles in my 4-4-2 formation but I'm hoping to finish 14-16th this season and re shape the squad in the summer ready for an assault on the play offs next year.

Got my eye on Terry Hawkridge, Jordan Chapell and Josh Gordon for next season along with a few others I have a healthy wage budget of 6.7k but next season's budget is expected to be 6k still with removing a lot of this dead wood from the squad im hoping to be able to build a small but competitive squad for next season

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone had any joy playing in the Conference, or indeed the Conference South with a 4-4-2 system?

I've been trying to implement a system similar to the Cowleys at Lincoln but without much success, 11th going into January and facing the sack if things don't turn round quickly. If you don't really follow the league, it's a fairly direct 4-4-2 with high pressing, lots of balls into the box and an emphasis on set pieces. A slightly more agricultural Simeone almost, with the two banks of four. My assistant constantly wants me to remove 'Close Down More' & 'Higher Tempo' which is a bit annoying.

I've ended up retreating to a 4-3-3 but I think it's too late.

In terms of players I have had a bit of success with:

- Billy Knott is unbelieveable as an advanced playmaker at MC but I doubt you'd be able to get him unless starting a game with Lincoln.
- Ricardo Fuller is a good shout as above for a target man, but he did pick up a bad injury (also as forecast). I got him in when Rhead was injured which left me light.
- Ruairi Keating is not bad back up. He's on non-contract basis at Torquay and I've used him M R & up front when others have been unavailable.
- Adam Marriott has 15 in 25 playing as an advanced forward. Not too bad, would prefer someone with a little more pace in his role though.

Signings I wouldn't bother with:

- Went for Rhys Oates following my target man injuries, been really poor other than scoring the winning penalty against Gateshead in the FA Cup!
- Tried Dany N'Guessan wide as he's available on a free but no better than Arnold or Ginnelly. 

On ‎18‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 12:36, DossClub said:

Enjoying a save with Boston United, won the Conference North by ten points in our first season and now sitting 4th in the Conference National after 14 games, which I'm very happy with! Some of my better signings include:

• Yvan Wassi - D (RLC) - Free Agent - Has been ever present at right back for me since the beginning of the save. Highly recommended at this level and I reckon he'll be capable of performing in League 2.
  • Dante Leverock - D (C) - Ilkeston (Free) - Solid centre back, highly rated. He was quite inconsistent to begin with in the Conference North, but has stood out in the Conference this year so far.
  • Germaine Ofori - AM (RC), ST (C) - Free Agent - Our top scorer in the Conference North, a must buy at that level. Hasn't featured as much in the Conference National due to the signing of Andrei Pavel.
  • Andrei Pavel - ST (C) - FC Romania (Free) - Solid striker, scoring regularly in the Conference National. 

Also, look at Adam Chapman at Boston United. Highly creative and serves as a quality playmaker in the centre of midfield.

Im currently at Boston, managed to have a lovely FA cup run not facing anyone big until the second round where I drew with Port Vale at Home before winning 5-1 away - completely FMing them scored all shots on target. Drew Chelsea in the third round and promptly lost but gained 136k in gate receipts.  Have you managed to get them professional status yet? Agree with Chapman being a godsend and Robinson, who is on loan next Stone at the back have been solid. Signed a winger surname Banya has been different gravy.

Just started season two of my Torquay save having lost in the play off semi finals at the end of season one. If anyone is looking for a goalscorer Rushian Hepburn-Murphy could be your man! Youngster from Aston Villa, signed on loan for Lincoln in first season and scored 18 in 28 games, scored against us and made him number one target for the summer. Got him on loan for the season, paying no wages, and he's currently scored 9 in 6 games with 2 assists, with an average rating of 8.32. 

I recently restarted a LLM journeyman save and now in season 3 and I've just joined at North Shields English county league (level 9 I think) and although his stats are pants Tommaso Panzavolta starts at Newcastle Benfield  but I've signed him and he's banging the goals in for fun.

Found a couple of full backs who look decent the other day Adam Nditi from badshot lea, a talented LB, who has football league clubs looking at him but will negotiate terms down to National North/South teams.

Also found a good looking RB Cameron Gayle from Sutton Coldfield went to Torquay just after I spotted him but again was willing to negotiate terms with North/South teams

Bradley Goldberg in my bromley save has been immense. 42 goals in all comps. 36 in the league. He scored goals even when we were struggling. Switched tactics and made a late surge into the play offs, whipped crosses into him and he's been deadly.

Defensive midfielder Olumide Durojaiye is fantastic for me at Macclesfield. Solid, great tackler and developing. He is free agent in the beginning of the season.

Striker Cemal Ramadan is great too. 16 goals and 6 assist on 23 games. Also free agent.

Found another few players with Gainsborough Trinity

Kieran Monlouis -CM- been absolute quality for me played in a CM S role

Liam Tomsett -CM- another quality cm played as AP S or BBM 

Antonie Boland -LB- been absolutely quality on the left side of defence

Matt Gledhill -GK- signed him as a back up to Willis who rejected my contract offer so became my no1 and 6 games in is looking like a shrewd investment

Started a new save with Woking. This is my 2nd attempt (got annoyed with board on 1st save and jumped ship). 

Won promotion from National 1st season via Play offs. 

Won promotion from League 2 1st season after an incredible run of wins after changing tactics. 

Just about to start League 1. Aim is just to stay up and build the following. 

Have the reps been fixed yet as cannot sign players I thought I'd be able too. Still only 1.5 star. 

Memorable Mentions:

Steven Ross. Signed in January 2nd season, when struggling for goals. Came in, started with a bang and never looked back. Thanks to his goals we went up via play offs. 

Eric Foley - found this midfielder by mistake and turned out to be a great signing. Signed 1st season when in National. 

Will update when home as mind has gone blank.

Current tactics are: 5-3-2. Attacking at home and playing on the counter when away. 

Do people change tactics every season?

Only just switched from FM 16 to 17 and nearly at the end of my first season with Hungerford Town. Started with the update so they no longer had Nicky Shorey or Steve Harper.

Found it very difficult finding a winning tactic in the first half of the season, switching between different variations of 4-4-2. However I have started using a 4-3-3 with 3 CM's and 3 Strikers and despite only keeping 4 clean sheets all season, the team has scored 60 goals in 29 games, and have currently only lost once in my last 12 since seriously using the tactic. 

Players wise:

FW - Gregg Cundle (On loan from Gillingham) Do not have to contribute anything towards his wages and he is rated 4*! Absolutely unreal this season with 26 goals in 31 starts!

FW - Victor Adeboyejo (On loan from Leyton Orient) Another loan signing without any upfront payment! Struggled with fitness but good stats for a conference south striker and 4 goals, 5 assists in 10 starts isn't too shabby. 

CM - Harry Gerrard (Free transfer £375 wage p/w) Wages are a bit steep for this level but a 4* CM who has 3 goals and 11 assists in 28 games. 

Was too late to sign devante rock but his stats have been very good in this game, the same for lionel stone and corby moore! 

Biggest thing I've found from lower league management in fm17 is invest in defence as mine are pretty sh*t but thankfully strikers win me most games. 

2017-06-07.png

2017-06-07 (1).png

2017-06-07 (2).png

On ‎03‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 12:34, Fishlcfc_9 said:

Has anyone had any joy playing in the Conference, or indeed the Conference South with a 4-4-2 system?

I've been trying to implement a system similar to the Cowleys at Lincoln but without much success, 11th going into January and facing the sack if things don't turn round quickly. If you don't really follow the league, it's a fairly direct 4-4-2 with high pressing, lots of balls into the box and an emphasis on set pieces. A slightly more agricultural Simeone almost, with the two banks of four. My assistant constantly wants me to remove 'Close Down More' & 'Higher Tempo' which is a bit annoying.

I've ended up retreating to a 4-3-3 but I think it's too late.

In terms of players I have had a bit of success with:

- Billy Knott is unbelieveable as an advanced playmaker at MC but I doubt you'd be able to get him unless starting a game with Lincoln.
- Ricardo Fuller is a good shout as above for a target man, but he did pick up a bad injury (also as forecast). I got him in when Rhead was injured which left me light.
- Ruairi Keating is not bad back up. He's on non-contract basis at Torquay and I've used him M R & up front when others have been unavailable.
- Adam Marriott has 15 in 25 playing as an advanced forward. Not too bad, would prefer someone with a little more pace in his role though.

Signings I wouldn't bother with:

- Went for Rhys Oates following my target man injuries, been really poor other than scoring the winning penalty against Gateshead in the FA Cup!
- Tried Dany N'Guessan wide as he's available on a free but no better than Arnold or Ginnelly. 

I've used nothing but 2 different 4-4-2 tactics on my way to rising Lewes FC back up the football ladder. Defence was great in the regional leagues but as we've risen (now Vanarama Conference, 3 promotions in 3 seasons!) and the lack of possible signings I've had to rely heavily on goals to win games, think Blackpool in the prem all those years ago, We'll score more than you mentality.

Few signings to mention:

Andrei Pavel - Goal machine simple as. Free transfer 24 in 21 so far as an advanced forward

Jonte Smith - Already at the club from the beginning but has just now scored his 100th goal for the club halfway through the second season. Played as a poacher

Danny Clifton - signed for free at the start of the game and paired with Jonte up front, Was leagues leading scorer in both seasons with us until he got snapped up for 50k which the chairman accepted on my behalf?!

Ryan Broom - Free right winger from Bristol rovers I think, ASSIST KING leads the charts this season with 22 in 19 games and he doesn't even take set pieces!

Jai reason - Centre mid on a free and has an average rating of 7.4+ in his two seasons so far

Jamie Bradley-Green - Centre back on a free, young, quick, strong another solid player whos been with us on the rise up the leagues

4-2-2-2. Attacking wingers. Which is the tactic i used with Woking. Won promotion 1st season. Then won promotion via play offs again 1st season in League 2 - 5-3-2 formation. Now doing well mid way through 3rd season in league 1.  5-3-2 again (i think!)

• 1 month later...

Dan Darbyshire (QPR) excelent poacher or SS. I signed he free on 2nd season, 10 goals and 7 asts in 16 apps as SS. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to make all leagues at least semi-pro

Playing amateur is a bit silly in the levels 9 and bellow. It does not matter if you are in level 10 or 20, the same players are available and you can have squads with 1000s of players and free them all whenever you want...

Some help please?

Took over Forest Green Rovers towards end of 16/17, finishing 2nd place - 10 points behind Lincoln who ran away with the league with 100 points. Lost to Wrexham in the play-offs, with them going to get win in the final. 

Finished 17/18 winning the league comfortably in the end, with my team growing into my attacking 3-5-2 philosophy. Key players were Oliver Davies in goal, Joe Wright at the back on loan from Doncaster, and a strike force of Ollie Palmer and Martin Paterson -  finishing with 24 and 29 goals respectively. 

League was obviously the focus, but attention quickly turned to the FA Cup from January as I managed a fairy tale run ending in the Quarter Finals. Beating Sunderland away was by far the biggest upset I've managed on the game. Manchester United came to The New Lawn and only left with a 1-0 win. Rooney missed a penalty, and some great late chances we're missed on our part.

PXLO9dn.jpg

Into November 18/19 now in League 2, and after a rocky start progressing up the table nicely, and playing better by the week - 5 games unbeaten and 6th place. Trawled through players released from Eastern Europe and Scandinavia, offering trials to 100s of playes in attempt to unearth a lower level diamond. Highlights have been a big Danish forward Andreas Albers, and a Brazilian midfielder named Juninho who has come in as a Player/Director of Football.     

SRxeW3r.png[/img]

9yfpHHJ.png[/img]

Alex O'Hanlon CM. Free.

Toni Martinez ST. Loan from West Ham.

Ryan Lloyd brilliant from Conference to League One.

Matty Waters solid LB from Chester good up to league One level. Great at free kicks

Lateef Elford-Alliyu. St. Free.

Martinez is class, scored 50 goals in under 2 season on loan from West Ham on my Chester save. First in League One then scored 26 the following year in the Championship.

• 2 months later...

My best players for my FC United side that helped me get the National Hero achivement, also very good signings in FM18:

Jack Truelove (DL) - speedy fullback, not spectacular stats, not great margin for growing, but managed an average over 7.05 even in Championship (in 2021)

Mich'el Parker (CB) - Liverpool youth, no agility and no determination, but develops alot.

Stephen Jordan (CB) - mentioned before, veteran CB, great tutor. Retires in 2-3 years.

Stephen Akbas (DR) - Hull youth, great technique, great speed, develops well, can become a Premier League player.

Andrew Osei-Bonsu (BWM) - a physical beast from MK Dons. I could only get him on loan.

Sam Sheridan (DLP) - already at club, dead ball specialist, consistent playmaker, struggles above League Two.

Sean Williams (MC/AMC) - not spectacular, not great stats, but super reliable. Good only for non-league.

Callum Chettle (MC) - the best underrated young midfielder from Peterborough. Available on loan, then for free. Gets to become a Premier Division player. Scores 6+ goals per season from 20-25m shots. Averages over 7.30

Will Patching (AMC) - former City youth, has great physique, develops nicely, can be sold 500k+.

Petre Skapetis (ST) - mentioned before, well-rounded, a killer for non-league. Stoke product, the only one I can't find on FM18

Simen Moller (ST) - a super-consistent norwegian target man in his prime, wants lots of money (60-70k a year), but scores 30+ goals a season, even in League Two. The only thing is... he's "retired from professional football", so tie him with a long contract before switching to professional status, I missed that chance.

There are no wingers I can recommend, I played a narrow 4-3-1-2

Archived