FM17 Youth Academy Challenge

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it too late to restart the challenge? I got pretty hyped up by reading your posts guys, great stuff here!

I would like to play in a Mediterranean country, probably Italy or Portugal.

I would like to give a shot at the Longevity Challenge as well (1000 club appearences).

koniz.jpg.c88a704939d8f367e1a95d29d87ba308.jpg

FC Köniz Youth Challenge

Season 6 – 2022/23 – Swiss Super League

League: Aand we did it again :) After an average start we slowly pulled away in the league and won it comfortably. Basel were close until the tail-end of the season when our form clicked and theirs dipped.

Cup: Arrogantly played my youth team and instant-resulted the first-round match, only to find out we  just about scraped through on penalties. A solid win away to Basel in the quarters, and the coast was clear. During the final, most of my first team got called up for the U21 Euros, but the reserves/youth did the job with a scrappy 1-0 win over Luzern, giving us our first cup win and our first double.

Europe: Straight into CL group stages, we got a tough group with Atletico, Juventus and Lyon. A great start with a 2-0 away in at Lyon, a couple of defeats and two home draws – to Atletico and Lyon left us level on points with Lyon in 3rd with one game to go, so we had to better their result to go through to Europa in third place. We were doing great, drawing 1-1 away at Juventus, but alas, they snatched it Italian-style at the death with a 94th minute penalty, and Lyon drew against Atletico, so we were out. Still, it’s good to know that we can get a home draw against some of the better teams in Europe. Benfica won the CL btw, beating Tottenham in the final :o Well, if Benfica can do it...

Star players: Again, the shadow strikers 19b Roger Unterkircher and 20a Eugene Badertscher are quite a long way ahead of the rest, and still at the club. We were very solid defensively this year, with right-back from my first intake 18a Mario Buth deciding to extend his contract, and solid center back 19b Toni Stauffer playing a big role.

Facilities: training and youth facilities upgraded, but no recruitment upgrade. I renegotiated the feeder club links, so we can now get youth players from Japan, USA, Australia and Serbia.

Finances: £39m – plenty of cash while we are qualifying for the group stages

Youth intake | 23a Sladjan Stevanovic – one hot-shot attacking midfielder who came through my feeder club Rad (forgot to screenshot his intake profile, here's how he looks at the end of the season). The rest look absolutely awful though, I signed a few just in case they just have low CA and high potential, but this feels like the intake with the least depth so far. I had my Director of Football select the intake but maybe I should give the job back to the HOYD...

Youth watch: 22a Roland Baggenriet – last year’s recruit has been the revelation this season, retrained to play at left back to fill a gap in the squad and doing well. 20f Bruno Bonhomme has played well on left wing despite average attributes, and I retrained 21c Marco Grillo to rotate him into a central role, and he’s done well both on the wing and at center-mid.

Transfers: Again holding on to our best players

Next season’s aim: would be nice to get a youth intake with more depth, and some defensive players; I’m getting a bit short of personnel for the more defensive formation I try to play in Europe…

Season  |  League  |   Cup  |     CL      |     EL      |     Top scorer          |  Top assists           |    Top rating           | Notes
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2017/18 |  1       |  R2    |   n/a       |     n/a     |  Vonlanthen (17)        |                        |                         |  Promoted to top division
2018/19 |  2       |  R-up  |   n/a       |     n/a     |  Vukmir (13)            |                        |                         |  Sharing training facilities; runners-up in league and cup
2019/20 |  2       | QF     | Playoff     |  Ko round 1 |  Mani (11)              |  19c Ngono (9)         |  19c Ngono (7.3)        |  First European adventure
2020/21 |  2       | R2     | Playoff     |  Semis      |  19b Unterkircher (22)  |  20a Badertscher (12)  |  19c Ngono (7.5)        |  
2021/22 |  1       | R-up   | Group (3rd) |  Ko round 1 |  19b Unterkircher (20)  |  20a Badertscher (10)  |  21a Zürcher (7.4)      |  First league win; First CL group appearance
2022/23 |  1       | Won    | Group (4th) |     n/a     |  20a Badertscher (14)   |  19b Unterkircher (15) |  19b Unterkircher (7.6) |  Domestic double

Season  |  Finances |  Coaching   | Recruitment  | Training Fac.  | Youth Fac.     |  Stadium
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2017/18 |   £242k   | Adequate    | Basic        |    Poor        | Basic          |  2600 
2018/19 |   £1.6m   | Average     | Basic        |    Adequate    | Poor           |  2600
2019/20 |   £7.5m   | Excellent   | Fairly Basic |    Basic       | Below average  |  2600
2020/21 |   £18m    | Exceptional | Fairly Basic |  Below Average | Adequate       |  2600
2021/22 |   £32m    | Exceptional | Average      |    Adequate    | Average        |  3900
2022/23 |   £39m    | Exceptional | Average      |    Average     | Good           |  5000

@dkouv The thing is that I'll play FM18 as soon as it get released in Beta, it's a sort of tradition I developed the last couple of years, so I have a month of playing FM17. I don't think I can do much in countries with many games and difficult teams. We'll see though, I hope I find the time today to start a save in Italy.

Jesus Christ this game...:)

Playing with BSC Glasgow in the Scottish League Two.

My board decided to accept an offer for my (by a distance) best central midfielder from a Scottish Championship club. The offer was roughly 2.700 GBP. I intervened, and got the offer cancelled.

Then rejected five new offers from the same club. But on the sixth, my board decides to accept it and I have no possibility to intervene. He was sold for 2.000 GBP.

And as though that was not infuriating enough, now in the monthly confidence overview, my board critises me for the poor financial deal of selling my best midfielder...:)

koniz.jpg.60aed4c9496760989ec37f54c430f611.jpg

FC Köniz Youth Challenge

Season 7 – 2023/24 – Swiss Super League

League: Retained it, even though our form tailed off towards the end of the season.

Cup: Strolling through until the final against Basel, and a 1-0 defeat. My players often seem to freeze in these big matches and quite a few have this as a warning on their coach report, but I guess I'll worry about that when I start getting to CL finals :D

Europe: A great year, with many a European giant having to make the trip to our small ground next to the Bern zoo, only to find out that we are playing our European games in Thun, and then no doubt get lost along the way... Group stage draw pitted us alongside Real Madrid, Gladbach and Zenit – a much better draw than the last two years. We put in some fantastic performances, the highlight being beating Gladback 4-0 home and away. Real were too strong so we finished second (Group table), qualifying for the knockout stages for the first time. We beat Dortmund home and away in the last 16, but succumbed to Bayern in the quarters. A brilliant run, and rather unexpected; hope I can repeat it sooner rather than later!

Star players: Shadow strikers 19b Roger Unterkircher and 20a Eugene Badertscher are joined on the list by my up-and-coming right winger 21a Luca Zürcher, who topped average ratings with 7.76, 12 goals and 14 assists to boot.

Facilities: Training and youth facilities upgraded, and this season I managed to up the recruitment as well. Reshuffled my feeder clubs a bit to try and improve the prospects of getting good foreign youngsters.

Finances: £55.5m – clearly the board are raking it in, thanks to my no-transfer-in policy and continued European appearances.

@andershs by the way I found that in this FM the board keep accepting ridiculous offers for players until you've got lots of money in the bank, and I guess how much "lots" is differs with the chairman attributes and league. So while you're at the bottom it can be very tough. But now that I've got all this money in the bank I don't seem to have trouble rejecting offers, especially since most AI teams seem to want to lowball me even on my best players.

Youth intake |24a Andrea Santoro | 24b Chancel N’Gomae | 24c Darko Srok. Not impressed – top prospects are only 3-star potential, and 3/4 top youths are wingers where I'm well-stocked, plus the top prospect’s personality is casual… Signed him up anyway in hope that he can be tutored out of it. Still, there is a potentially handy left-back there and who knows, maybe they’ll develop and the star ratings are low because my team is better.

Youth watch: Last year’s intake only had one good prospect in 23a Sladjan Stevanovic, but he’s done very well and cemented a first-team place already (admittedly in my thinly-staffed central midfield). 22c Bastian Adelwarth came in from a loan spell and did well as our back-up striker. Other than that, the established players mainly come from the intakes 3-4 seasons ago, and have developed well, but many have seemingly stopped improving.

Transfers: nothing much going on, but may attempt a bit of a clear-out this summer

Next season’s aim: some defenders and defensive mids in the youth intake, even though this is not exactly up to me…

Season  |  League  |   Cup  |     CL      |     EL      |     Top scorer          |  Top assists           |    Top rating           | Notes
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2017/18 |  1       |  R2    |   n/a       |     n/a     |  Vonlanthen (17)        |                        |                         |  Promoted to top division
2018/19 |  2       |  R-up  |   n/a       |     n/a     |  Vukmir (13)            |                        |                         |  Sharing training facilities; runners-up in league and cup
2019/20 |  2       | QF     | Playoff     |  Ko round 1 |  Mani (11)              |  19c Ngono (9)         |  19c Ngono (7.3)        |  First European adventure
2020/21 |  2       | R2     | Playoff     |  Semis      |  19b Unterkircher (22)  |  20a Badertscher (12)  |  19c Ngono (7.5)        |  
2021/22 |  1       | R-up   | Group (3rd) |  Ko round 1 |  19b Unterkircher (20)  |  20a Badertscher (10)  |  21a Zürcher (7.4)      |  First league win; First CL group appearance
2022/23 |  1       | Won    | Group (4th) |     n/a     |  20a Badertscher (14)   |  19b Unterkircher (15) |  19b Unterkircher (7.6) |  Domestic double
2023/24 |  1       | R-up   | Quarters    |     n/a     |  20a Badertscher (22)   |  21a Zürcher (14)      |  21a Zürcher (7.8)      |  First CL knock-out appearance

Season  |  Finances |  Coaching   |  Recruitment   | Training Fac.  | Youth Fac.      |  Stadium
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2017/18 |   £242k   | Adequate    | Basic          |  Poor          |  Basic          |  2600 
2018/19 |   £1.6m   | Average     | Basic          |  Adequate      |  Poor           |  2600
2019/20 |   £7.5m   | Excellent   | Fairly Basic   |  Basic         |  Below average  |  2600
2020/21 |   £18m    | Exceptional | Fairly Basic   |  Below Average |  Adequate       |  2600
2021/22 |   £32m    | Exceptional | Average        |  Adequate      |  Average        |  3900
2022/23 |   £39m    | Exceptional | Average        |  Average       |  Good           |  5000
2023/24 |   £55.5m  | Exceptional | Above average  |  Good          |  Great          |  5000

koniz.jpg.506034150bfd494c77ac5c071e574414.jpg

FC Köniz Youth Challenge

Season 8 – 2024/25 – Swiss Super League

League: A close race for the title this year. August was a bit of shambles, as most of my first team got called up for the Olympics, and many key players were moaning about a transfer away. But we managed to stay close to top of the league. We then went on one of those amazing runs, and were 11 points clear at one stage. But then the fixtures piled up, our form dipped, and Basel’s improved, so we went into the last game knowing we had to win to guarantee the league. We did the job, clinching the title by 2 points ahead of Basel.

Cup: Won it easily this time, partly because someone else knocked out Basel.

Europe: A much tougher group draw, with Man City and Bayern to contend with. We almost eaked out of it, but a last-gasp penalty and some missed chances in the games against Bayern effectively sealed our fate, and we finished third (Group table). Still, I was happy we could compete with the top teams in Europe, although the quality of the squad is plateauing so I’m not sure how much higher we can go. Into Europa, we got past Galatasaray and onto Dortmund in the second KO round. We won 3-0 away, but were 4-1 down at home and going out on away goals before Zürcher rescued us and sent us through to the quarters. There Porto were too strong for us, not helped by a sending off early in the first leg; and we were out.

Star players: The attacking shadow striker/winger trio 19b Roger Unterkircher, 20a Eugene Badertscher and 21a Luca Zürcher were top of the pops again, with 44 goals and 38 assists between them.

Facilities: training and youth facilities upgraded, and one extra foreign feeder team added. A new stadium is on the way, but unfortunately the did not name it after me.

Finances: £61.5m – our expenses are going up, but still clearly in the plus

Youth intake | 25a Martin Nadal | 25b Andrew Kelly – not that great again. Still, a decent-looking center back and an Aussie striker from my feeder team look ok, although I'm not quite sure about the striker's finishing of 6. Personalities and determination were also not the best, so much so that I sacked my HOYD and went back to the guy I was using a few years ago, the last time I had a good intake :) Not sure how much it will matter though.

Youth watch: a couple of players from last intake did unexpectedly well, as they got some game time in the positions I was short. 24e Lorenzo Carpentieri, who I only tagged retrospectively, shone in center mid and became the youngest goalscorer ever in the CL, and 23c Darko Srok made good progress at left back.

Transfers: a few more players out, and I wish I had kept some of them, as those Olympic call-ups and quite a few injuries stretched our squad this season.

Next season’s aim: a youth recruitment upgrade would be nice

2023/24 |  1       | R-up   | Quarters    |     n/a     |  20a Badertscher (22)   |  21a Zürcher (14)      |  21a Zürcher (7.8)      |  First CL knock-out appearance
2024/25 |  1       | Won    | Group (3rd) |  Quarters   |  20a Badertscher (18)   |  19b Unterkircher (18) |  19b Unterkircher (7.8) | 

Season  |  Finances |  Coaching   |  Recruitment   | Training Fac.  | Youth Fac.      |  Stadium
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2017/18 |   £242k   | Adequate    | Basic          |  Poor          |  Basic          |  2600 
2018/19 |   £1.6m   | Average     | Basic          |  Adequate      |  Poor           |  2600
2019/20 |   £7.5m   | Excellent   | Fairly Basic   |  Basic         |  Below average  |  2600
2020/21 |   £18m    | Exceptional | Fairly Basic   |  Below Average |  Adequate       |  2600
2021/22 |   £32m    | Exceptional | Average        |  Adequate      |  Average        |  3900
2022/23 |   £39m    | Exceptional | Average        |  Average       |  Good           |  5000
2023/24 |   £55.5m  | Exceptional | Above average  |  Good          |  Great          |  5000
2024/25 |   £61.5m  | Exceptional | Above average  |  Impressive    |  Excellent      |  5000

Since I'm waiting for FM18, I need something to help out with my addiction for FM. So I'll take some time to play another youth challenge while I'm looking forward. I'm going to Switzerland. A country I haven't played in before, I think. Loading up the game now, and will chose a team when the holidaying is done.

FC_Rapperswil-Jona.png

Ok, I've taken over FC Rapperswil-Jona, Rapperswil for short. Located a bit southeast of Zürich, with both Zürichsee and Obersee to the south. The squad looks decent, though I don't have any staff at the moment, so it's hard to evaluate. I don't have many strikers though, so it might be time to try a strikerless formation...

My profile

XaW - FC Rapperswil-Jona - 2017/18

FC_Rapperswil-Jona.png

Table | Squad | Transfers | Finances

Since I took over a squad without much in the way of strikers, I elected to go for a strikerless formation. Some good friendly matches later it seemed to be working and I were looking forward to the new season playing with a 5-3-2-0 formation with wingbacks to give width. As the season started we lost the first two matches without creating anything resembling a scoring chance made me make some changes, but still strikerless. We won the next 3 matches quite comfortably, and we mostly kept it up. Some tweaks here and there, but for the most part the same main style. Going into Christmas we were in 4th place, not far from the top and looking good. The winter break gave us some more time to get familiar with the tactic. When the games were back on we continued the good play and went on a 13 match unbeaten run climbing up towards FC Wil at the top. We didn't quite catch them, but still finished in a very good 2nd place.

In the cup we went all the way to the final! Some lucky draws were we avoided any top tier teams and beating FC Wil in the semi final put us against Sankt Gallen in the final. They took the lead just before half time and held on to it for a long time. We did get the equalizer in the 80th minute and the score was even at the final whistle. In extra time no one found the net and it was down to pens. It was still undecided after 5 pens each, but we missed our 6th pen. Sankt Gallen scored theirs to take the trophy. Still, a much better outing than I expected.

The youth:

We had a good youth intake this season. The most promising players seems to be Francesco Bertini 18a and Eduardo Barbeito 18b.

ojJlkBy.png

koniz.jpg.066997a9caeccff06248ca4d5e5bc232.jpg

FC Köniz Youth Challenge

@XaW - great to have you on board, good luck in Switzerland!

Season 9 – 2025/26 – Swiss Super League

League: Basel and Wil gave us a good run for our money but we prevailed in the end, giving me a few games in close-season to play the youngsters.

Cup: Easy-going until the final against Basel. We went behind but equalized with 15 to go, then Basel had a man sent off and we created 3 more CCCs but couldn’t score. Luckily we won the penalty shootout against our nemesis.

Europe: A very tough group draw again, with Tottenham and Bayern. I had my hopes up after we beat Bayern 3-0 at home, but that was followed by a shambolic 2-2 draw away at BATE where we missed 2 penalties and they scored their only one. Comprehensive away defeats to Spurs and Bayern ensured we finished 3rd (Group Table). Got past Shaktar in 1st KO round in the Europa, before narrowly losing to eventual winners Liverpool in the 2nd KO round. Overall we seem to be in good shape but lacking that bit of quality to compete with top European sides and most players have stopped progressing, so I’m waiting for some good intakes to turn this around.

Star players: The attacking trio of 19b Roger Unterkircher, 20a Eugene Badertscher and 21a Luca Zürcher are joined by 23a Sladjan Stevanovic, who joined us 2 years ago and is now our best midfielder. 22a Roland Baggenriet also gets a mention for becoming our best fullback and getting called up by Switzerland.

Facilities: a bug meant the scheduled facility upgrade didn’t go through, but hopefully it will next season. No progress on youth recruitment.

Finances: £65.5m – still very healthy

Youth intake | 26a Ugljesa Tornjanski | 26b Lee Tae-Wook - I went back to my old HOYD and it seems to have paid off, with our first 4* prospect in quite a few years, in one of our weaker areas, central midfield. Also nice to see the top two prospects come through our feeder clubs Rad and Ulsan.

Youth watch: no players came through from last year’s intake, but 24e Lorenzo Carpentieri has made steady progress and was wanted by Real Madrid, which means he threw his toys out of the pram and didn’t play that well, but his attributes look good and he’s one of the few players who doesn’t have yellow for consistency.

Transfers: sold my reserve right-back for  £3m which was good business, and not much else.

Next season’s aim: still waiting on youth recruitment

2024/25 |  1       | Won    | Group (3rd) |  Quarters   |  20a Badertscher (18)   |  19b Unterkircher (18) |  19b Unterkircher (7.8) | 
2025/26 |  1       | Won    | Group (3rd) |  Ko round 2 |  20a Badertscher (25)   |  21a Zürcher (16)      |  19b Unterkircher (7.6) | 

2024/25 |   £61.5m  | Exceptional | Above average  |  Impressive    |  Excellent      |  5000
2025/26 |   £65.5m  | Exceptional | Above average  |  Impressive    |  Excellent      |  5000

XaW - FC Rapperswil-Jona - 2018/19

FC_Rapperswil-Jona.png

@dkouv: Thanks! I've never managed in Switzerland before, so this is a newish experience for me. You seem to have gotten quite far, so I hope I can do as well as you in that regard.

The new season started quite good, though unremarkable as we won and lost pretty much every other game. We did improve towards the winter break and even though the league were close between 8 of the 10 teams in the league we managed to stay among the top contenders going into the break. Some good friendlies gave the squad a great morale before we were back playing league games. We had two great runs of 5+ wins during the spring with 3 straight losses in between. When our closest competitors for the promotion, Lugano and tycoon-backed Winterthur losing some easy games we suddenly found ourselves ahead of the pack. In the end we finished the season without a win in the three final games, but we still won it comfortably. Next season we are going to play in the top tier for the first time, and I hope we are good enough to survive.

In the cup we got to the quarter final, but lost against top tier Young Boys.

The youth:

We had a very good youth intake this season. Especially Eric Scholz 19a and Alphons Gantenbein 19b look very promising. Gantenbein are already playing in the main squad.

pNpjma9.png

koniz.jpg.4465048cabac649ce5ab7ab485b3960a.jpg

FC Köniz Youth Challenge

@XaW - thanks; I think Switzerland is quite a good country for this challenge - the finances are solid, the nation rating seems reasonable and there aren't that many teams, so you tend to get pretty decent regens. Looks like you got a few good ones yourself in the first few intakes, and congrats on promotion!

Season 10 – 2026/27 – Swiss Super League

League / Cup / Europe (CL group): The seasons are starting to feel like an old tape on repeat, not that I mind the results that much… We were dominant in the league, setting a record with 90 points from 36 games, and won the cup, but fell short in Europe, finishing 3rd in our CL group again, this time behind Liverpool and Dortmund, and got knocked out by Napoli in Europa 2nd KO round on away goals. We were closer than last time, only finishing 1 point off 2nd in the CL group, but it does feel like we’re lacking that extra bit of quality to go toe to toe with the bigger teams in Europe.

The most exciting thing that happened is probably that big-spending Wil, who only got promoted several years ago, pipped Basel to second spot.

Squad: 10 seasons in, it’s time to take stock. We have a strong and relatively well-balanced squad, with the best players up front and on the wings, but several good defenders coming through too. There are some issues with consistency and important matches throughout, but overall the personalities and determination are good, and the youth prospects of yesteryear have just become old enough to tutor. We are lacking a bit of depth on the wings, especially on the left, and up front, and have no star players in defense, so hopefully this will improve in the coming intakes.

Star players: 20a Eugene Badertscher is became clearly our best player this year. He made progress in training after I upgraded facilities, following a few seasons of stagnation, and finished top scorer in the Super League again, with an amazing average rating of 7.94.

Facilities: the training + youth facility upgrade came through, but nothing on recruitment.

Finances: £69m – no issues there

Youth intake | 27a Predrag Saric – Rad is a feeder club that just keeps on giving, and we get our third top Serbian prospect in 5 years, who should provide some much-needed depth up-front, and already became our youngest goalscorer. Rest of the intake looks pretty rubbish, but I don't really mind.

Youth watch: Last year’s top prospect 26a Ugljesa Tornjanski has made good progress, although he’s still one of the weaker players in the first team squad. Defenders 24c Darko Srok and 25a Martin Nadal have developed nicely and are now becoming established as first 11 players.

Transfers: sold a couple of reserve players for good money, and released a few more. Two ever-present pros who were with me in the beginning – Cristian Miani and Faicel Hanachi – have been shifted out.

Next season’s aim: just keep plugging away in Europe

2025/26 |  1       | Won    | Group (3rd) |  Ko round 2 |  20a Badertscher (25)   |  21a Zürcher (16)      |  19b Unterkircher (7.6) | 
2025/26 |  1       | Won    | Group (3rd) |  Ko round 2 |  20a Badertscher (31)   |  19b Unterkircher (14) |  20a Badertscher (7.9)  | 

2025/26 |   £65.5m  | Exceptional | Above average  |  Impressive    |  Excellent      |  5000
2026/27 |   £69m    | Exceptional | Above average  |  Excellent     |  Superb         |  5000

A good season there again, @dkouv!

Btw, do you also have the weird league table thingy?

33FyHk1.pngW4ajQFt.png

This is the state at the moment. I'm 7th, but I won a couple after the winter break, so in the other I'm on top.

Ff2VQ5w.png

The top of my squad overview also claim I'm first...?

XaW - FC Rapperswil-Jona - 20190/20

FC_Rapperswil-Jona.png

Going into our first season in the top tier, I was unsure what to expect of the team compared to the other teams, but I had hope. It started very good as we won the two first matches. I didn't know it was against the two poorest teams and it was narrow wins, so I though to myself that the difference between the tiers wasn't that big. Well, I was wrong, and it's tougher than I thought. We had a very poor run and lost 6 matches in a row. We did manage to scrape together a few points here and there going into the winter break. During the break I arranged a lot of easy friendlies to improve morale and it seemed to help as we got some good results during the spring. We had a good run in the final month and got four 2-1 wins in a row. We did lose the final game though, as we would otherwise have scrambled a European spot on the final day. A good first season in the top tier, and hopefully some more youngsters will continue to push into the main squad the next season. We are getting a few older players at the moment, and my biggest concern is the defense. I got a good defender this season, but I still need a few more.

Edit: I am in Europa League! Thanks to the cup winner being already qualified AND Vaduz winning the Liechtensteiner Cup! We are going to Europe!

In the cup we lost in the 1st round to Sankt Gallen.

The youth:

We had a solid youth intake this season. The most talented seem to be André Locatelli 20a and Peter Strasser 20b.

wDEhgUk.png

@XaW Yes, I have that league bug as well - basically after the winter break the league table resets, but if you go to League - overview, the correct league table is still there. Couldn't be bothered to report this as it's so close to FM18. And it seems to be just a visual thing, all the winners and European qualification seem to work correctly (although the club - league positions history shows just the positions from the games after the winter break). Good to see you qualified for the Europa in your first season up, good luck in the qualifiers!

XaW - FC Rapperswil-Jona - 2020/21

FC_Rapperswil-Jona.png

Now that I had had a season in the top tier I felt we were ready to push on further in the top tier of Swiss football. We kept all the players we hoped, even though two retired. The youngsters are also improving quite well, and at the start of this season I had 5 players who have come through the intakes who I consider part of the first 11 or very close to it. We had a good start as we won our first two matches, but as we played in Europe at the same time, we struggled quite a bit with fixture congestion for a while and this caused us to lose quite a bit since I had to play our second string players a bit too much. Going into the winter break we barely held on to 6th place, but with a lot of teams at our tail. Luckily for us newly promoted Winterthur struggled quite a bit and only had 9 points to Christmas. This gave us a good feeling to avoid a relegation battle. I played some easy matches in the winter break, or so I thought, when we lost 0-3 to our own U18 team. It seems the degradation we had then followed us into the league matches as we went the first 5 matches after Christmas without a win. It all turned when we got the youth intake though as we got a very talented youngster who scored two times in his debut. After that match we got a good run and started to win much more. We almost caught up with Basel, who had a dreadful season, in 5th, but ended just behind them.

In the cup we lost in the 2nd round to Old Boys of the second tier in a poor away match.

We had our first go in Europe this season. We started in the Europa League 2nd qualifying round were we drew Gandzasar of Armenia. A great 7-0 win at home made the second leg almost not worth playing and I let a couple of youngster have a go away where it finished 1-1. In the 3rd qualifying round we faced Oleksandriya of Ukraine. A solid 3-2 win away was followed by a poor 0-1 defeat at home to win on away goals and progress to the playoff. There we drew Club Brugge of Belgium and I thought my run would be stopped, but the players wanted something else. We managed to steal a 1-0 in Bruges and countered them to a 2-0 at home to go to the group stage. Here we drew Manchester City of England, BATE of Belarus and Sparta Praha of the Czech Republic. A win against BATE and Sparta Praha, and a draw with BATE was enough to get 2nd place and a spot in the knockout stages! Far more than I could ever have hoped for. Here we drew Arsenal of England though and a 3-5 loss at home was followed by a 5-2 loss away to continue our trend of letting in too many goals, but scoring for fun. A great experience in Europa and we got much further than I could have ever hoped for.

The youth:

We had a very good youth intake this season. The best ones are most likely Elias Sommerhalder 21a, whom I mentioned scored two times in his debut and Roy Hürzeler 21b, a much needed defender.

TdfbxHc.png

9 hours ago, dkouv said:

@XaW Yes, I have that league bug as well - basically after the winter break the league table resets, but if you go to League - overview, the correct league table is still there. Couldn't be bothered to report this as it's so close to FM18. And it seems to be just a visual thing, all the winners and European qualification seem to work correctly (although the club - league positions history shows just the positions from the games after the winter break). Good to see you qualified for the Europa in your first season up, good luck in the qualifiers!

Ok, I was wondering about it, and I found it rather odd to have such a visible bug this far in the life cycle of the game, so I was wondering if it was something wrong with my game. Not much of an issue though, so I don't mind it.

XaW - FC Rapperswil-Jona - 2021/22

FC_Rapperswil-Jona.png

Since we went into a season without European play we didn't have the same fixture congestion as last year, and that helped us a lot. Even though Basel ran away early on, we were part of the 4 team pack that followed them along with Young Boys, Luzern and Wil. We lost our long serving goalkeeper this summer, so the kids had to step up, and even kept all the youngster I wanted to keep, even Alphons Gantenbein 19b! Even though Manchester United, PSG and Real Madrid came in with lowball offers I kept him reasonable happy throughout the season. I'm not sure how long I can keep him though, since he is probably the best player in Swiss football at the moment, but I'll try. He is contracted for two more years, so I might cash in if I get silly money. Going into the winter break we were still in the fight for 2nd place, though we lost some matches we should have won. The same continued into the spring season, but suddenly Basel had a horrendous run of 7 matches without a win. They did have us close to both the start and finish of that run though and beat us both times, so I couldn't capitalize any on the poor form. They came back and got the title back though. We finished in a very respectable 4th place qualifying for another go in the Europa League next season.

In the Schweizer Cup we beat Lugano, Grasshopper Zürich, Young Boys and FC Zürich to reach the final. Here we beat FC Thun on pens after a very exciting match. Our first cup win!

The youth:

We had an amazing youth intake this season! The most promising seems to be Raffaele Osti 22a and Bojan Bulic 22b.

2XXuiUC.png

I'd like to add something that it took me a very long time to understand about this game and youth players. In the past I would attribute too much on the assistants recommendation of the youngsters talents and only sign the ones who had the best potential. Lately I've signed more players than I used to and this sometimes really help out. I'm going to give an example for a player in my current squad.

In my first intake I had a couple of great players, and a lot of average ones, but I kept almost everyone. The one I want you to notice are Edmond Xhafa:

zMIEo9N.png

2 star potential, maybe 3 star. Not exactly a super talent I thought, though he had a good personality. Unfortunatly, I don't have a screenshot of his player profile, since I only did that for the most talented (or so I thought). That was back in 2018. Now, I'm in 2022 and let's see how 4 years of training and playing have improved him:

G0DoRws.png

He is one of the better players in my squad. He is capped three times for Albania and just scored a hattrick as a central midfielder.

I thought I'd showcase this since I far too often let youngsters go if my assistant didn't rate them. Don't let the stars fool you, sometimes the players can become far better than expected.

XaW - FC Rapperswil-Jona - 2022/23

FC_Rapperswil-Jona.png

A good season last year, and I'm always looking for improvements. The strikerless formation is still working strong, but I'm tweaking it a bit here and there to fit my players better and it seems to help this season as we managed to reduce the goals we are conceding by quite a lot. I also managed to keep all the players I wanted, so that of course helped a lot. We did have a lot of injuries this season though, so that's something to look out for. Along with Wil we ran away from the rest of the pack early and it seemed to be a two-horse race for the title. After the winter break however, both ourselves and Wil struggled to get wins and drew too many matches allowing Basel to come close to us. Still, we managed to keep them at bay and in the end we ran out as victors for our first ever league title! I'm also qualified for the Champions League next season. This is our first try at the final hurdle of this challenge, though I still feel I'm far away from winning it at the moment, I still have hopes we can make a good figure there.

In the Schweizer Cup we beat Sankt Gallen, Luzern and Old Boys before losing to Basel in the semi final.

We had another go at the Europa League this season though, and we got drawn straight into the group stage. Here we faced Chelsea of England, Anderlecht of Belgium and Rijeka of Croatia. We managed to win once against Rijeka, drew two matches, one to Anderlecht and, the best of all, a draw away to Chelsea. We also lost three matches, and finished in last place. Not the best of tries, but we weren't spanked either, so I'm fairly happy with the effort.

The youth:

We had a fantastic youth intake and it seems the improvements we are getting are really helping. The most talented are Jacques Duttweiler 23a and Gabriel Maranhão 23b.

OnAPUlL.png

13 hours ago, XaW said:

I'd like to add something that it took me a very long time to understand about this game and youth players. In the past I would attribute too much on the assistants recommendation of the youngsters talents and only sign the ones who had the best potential. Lately I've signed more players than I used to and this sometimes really help out. I'm going to give an example for a player in my current squad.

In my first intake I had a couple of great players, and a lot of average ones, but I kept almost everyone. The one I want you to notice are Edmond Xhafa:

zMIEo9N.png

2 star potential, maybe 3 star. Not exactly a super talent I thought, though he had a good personality. Unfortunatly, I don't have a screenshot of his player profile, since I only did that for the most talented (or so I thought). That was back in 2018. Now, I'm in 2022 and let's see how 4 years of training and playing have improved him:

G0DoRws.png

He is one of the better players in my squad. He is capped three times for Albania and just scored a hattrick as a central midfielder.

I thought I'd showcase this since I far too often let youngsters go if my assistant didn't rate them. Don't let the stars fool you, sometimes the players can become far better than expected.

I went through a similar thought process in my Dulwich save where I had players I didn't rate (Because of the star rating) turn out to be key players in my squad. It's well worth taking time to really sit down and look at the players as they come through. 

I had same in my Polonia few players get a lot higher PA than my staff expected I read somewhere in internet that in new FM there is a possibility that player in young age can turn his potential but I dont know how it works mby some staff improve that mby facilities mby determination or personality of young gun. 

koniz.jpg.4c984af6dd843ef31670b4715b36ff55.jpg

FC Köniz Youth Challenge

@XaW Some amazing intakes there, and congrats on the title!

Season 11 – 2027/28 – Swiss Super League

League / Cup: Very dominant domestically, we set an all-time Swiss league record with 95 points, and won the cup as well.

Europe: After years of finishing 3rd in the CL group, we had our chance after what I presume was a bug had Galatasaray seeded 1st, and we ended up in a group with them, AC Milan and Dinamo Zagreb. We had a brilliant group campaign, finishing 1st and only dropping 2 points after a last-minute equaliser by Galatasaray in a game after we had already qualified (Group Table).

Onto the first KO round, and we had a decent draw in Sporting Lisbon. A great away performance saw us win 2-1, before a quiet home game ended 0-1 to Sporting thanks to a wonderstrike from their forward, and we were through on away goals. In the quarters, Tottenham, and I thought they were going to knock us out again. But we played brilliantly away, 1-1 scoreline seeing us dominate, with Spurs snatching their equaliser undeservedly thanks to a goalkeeping error. My best player 20a Bardetscher ruptured his achilles and will be out for the rest of the campaign, big blow. We held Spurs to a 0-0 at home to again progress on away goals. So into the last 4 for the first time, and finally going toe to toe with the big European sides in terms of match play.

Arsenal in the semis, again we played brilliantly at their place and won 2-1, and were solid at home, with Arsenal somewhat lucky to win 0-1, so for the third tie running, through on away goals, and to the final. There we faced Atletico Madrid, who went ahead on the 21st minute and we got a player sent off soon after. All lost, I thought, but my right-mid Marco Grillo equalized on the 85th minute to send us into extra time. Alas, it wasn’t enough as Ateltico scored a 108th minute winner to give them their first ever CL win.

Star players: 20a Eugene Badertscher was having an amazing season again, scoring a goal a game, but this was ended early by his injury. 23a Sladjan Stevanovic finished top scorer in the Swiss league and has become a key player, and 21a Luca Zürcher has continued to flourish as a winger.

Facilities: training + youth facilities upgraded, and the recruitment upgrade finally came up the day after the CL final! They certainly don’t give those out easily in this FM. We have moved into a new stadium as well.

Finances: £90m – the Man City of the Alps, they call us…

Youth intake | 28a Daniel Jacquier | 28b Maxime Masson: Crap personalities but good depth. With 3* potential it doesn't look too great, but who knows, some of them may turn out good, and my squad quality has increased too which brings down the star ratings. Some tutoring is needed for sure.

Youth watch: 26a Ugljesa Tornjanski is becoming a key player and doesn’t look far off my best forwards in terms of quality. Last year’s recruit 27a Predrag Saric  has also made good progress and got a lot of game time due to injuries to our strikers. 25a Martin Nadal is becoming our best center back, and 25c Raffael Zindel has become a regular starter at left back.

Transfers: Only loans and some free transfers out

Next season’s aim: It would have been nice to complete the challenge but I guess this saves me a few quid (or euros, given my current location), since I won’t have to buy FM 18 just yet ;)

2026/27 |  1       | Won    | Group (3rd) |  Ko round 2 |  20a Badertscher (31)   |  19b Unterkircher (14) |  20a Badertscher (7.9)  | 
2027/28 |  1       | Won    | Runner up   |     n/a     |  20a Badertscher (24)   |  21a Zürcher (18)      |  20a Badertscher (7.8)  | A close call in the CL

2026/27 |   £69m    | Exceptional | Above average  |  Excellent     |  Superb         |  5000
2027/28 |   £90m    | Exceptional | Established    |  Superb        |  Top            |  7500

@Bartrcm: I checked his profile and he was here on Wednesday, but haven't been on since. I'm doing the dafuges at the moment, but I'll try this later on. Anyway, I think you can just create it yourself and tag @Braumiller in it, I'm sure he won't mind since he is not here at the moment. Just copy the opening post on here and change as necessary.

Feel like I have unfinished business with this challenge. 28 seasons last year with Dulwich before my hard drive crashed and meant I lost everything (still not really over it) and was planning on starting this afternoon so if no new thread is up by then I'm happy to start it? Will likely just copy 99% of @Braumiller OP here. 

@Bartrcm @XaW @darren1983 and others - go ahead and create :thup:  As you obviously know, I haven't been around the forums and able to play in forever and there is every chance that will continue - I will be catching up on this thread and reading the new one as it begins.

Good luck all in FM18!

koniz.jpg.afc3b4609386e7de7258fc4ea8650782.jpg

FC Köniz Youth Challenge

Season 12 – 2028/29 – Swiss Super League

Competitions (European fixtures): Seeded 1st in the CL, but still a tough-ish group with Dortmund, Valencia and Standard. Finished second (Group Table) but got a decent last 16 draw in Sporting. A great comeback in the last half hour of the second leg against Sporting sent us through, and we easily dispatched Chelsea in the quarters. But then Barcelona absolutely smashed us in the semis, putting my hopes of completion to rest for at least another season. At home, another league + cup double was safely negotiated.

Youth intake | 29a Dusan Mandaric  - I thought they all looked rubbish to be honest, but after a few months of development Mandaric looks like he might turn out decent.

Star players: 20a Eugene Badertscher is still up there, but 26a Ugljesa Tornjanski has developed very fast and is now pushing him for the title of the club’s best player.

Youth watch: 27a Predrag Saric had a top season and is my second-best striker behind Badertscher, and still only 17. 25c Raffael Zindel is turning into our best defender – nothing special, but pretty solid all around.

Transfers: Sold my back-up winger to Real Madrid (!!) for £2m – no idea what the AI logic was there, but I’ll take the money.

2026/27 |  1       | Won    | Group (3rd) |  Ko round 2 |  20a Badertscher (31)   |  19b Unterkircher (14) |  20a Badertscher (7.9)  | 
2027/28 |  1       | Won    | Runner up   |     n/a     |  20a Badertscher (24)   |  21a Zürcher (18)      |  20a Badertscher (7.8)  | A close call in the CL
2028/29 |  1       | Won    | Semis       |     n/a     |  19b Unterkircher (20)  |  27a Saric (13)        |  19c Ngono (7.8)        |

2027/28 |   £90m    | Exceptional | Established    |  Superb        |  Top            |  7500
2028/29 |   £106m   | Exceptional | Established    |  State of art  |  Top            |  10688

• 2 weeks later...

@The_Gato_In_Goal for your Spakenburg side, what happened to your B/reserve team? I'm doing this challenge still with Achilles 29 but my B/reserve team are in the tweede division is it called, and always in there year in year out, is there anyway of getting them in the proper reserves group or even the jupiler league? friendlies are easy enough to arrange around games and got a few feeder clubs to send players out on loan but wouldn't mind having a side in an actual competition too.

29 minutes ago, GJS93 said:

@The_Gato_In_Goal for your Spakenburg side, what happened to your B/reserve team? I'm doing this challenge still with Achilles 29 but my B/reserve team are in the tweede division is it called, and always in there year in year out, is there anyway of getting them in the proper reserves group or even the jupiler league? friendlies are easy enough to arrange around games and got a few feeder clubs to send players out on loan but wouldn't mind having a side in an actual competition too.

Mine never got promoted to a playable league, although I guess that's possible when you're in the Eredivisie.

• 2 months later...

Archived