FM17 Youth Academy Challenge - IFK Trelleborg

mjaferrie

I'd rather play players completely out of position than wacky formations like that. The penalty for a player out of position isn't that big in FM and you can always retrain them.

Nevertheless, you know what you're doing otherwise you wouldn't be 2 divisions above where you started, without hiring any players. :thup:

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, noikeee said:

I'd rather play players completely out of position than wacky formations like that. The penalty for a player out of position isn't that big in FM and you can always retrain them.

Nevertheless, you know what you're doing otherwise you wouldn't be 2 divisions above where you started, without hiring any players. :thup:

You never know man!  2 of my 3 regular CMs are DRs, and my DL is season is also a DR, so I've got plenty out of position too - but I got halfway through a 13 match unbeaten run playing with 5 defenders, a RM, LM, RW, LW and one striker earlier in this save!  I'd rather play as many of my best players as possible, so that usually means daft formations or out of position playing.

Mid Season Review

A switch to a 4-2-4 though has been pretty good for us this season - it's still a bit kamikaze, we're yo-yoing up and down the table, and we've even suffered a club record defeat, but I think this might do the trick and get us to survive.  We're 5 points better off at this stage than we were last season.

results.png

table.png

Here's a look at how the squad is doing at the moment:

squad.jpg

So, a bit of a mental season so far!  Looking good for avoiding automatic relegation though and if we can keep up our, albeit rather dysfunctional, form we might even avoid the playoffs.  Yaldi!  

In other news:
Ola Wihlborg YP2a, now with 8 caps and 1 goal, has been called up by Sweden for Euro 2024, but hasn't made an appearance in the group stage.  Sweden have been drawn against Germany in the 2nd round, with the winner facing Portugal in the Quarter Final.  Wihlborg is now back with Juventus U20s after making 31 appearances for Villareal in La Liga this season.
Naim Nyberg YP3a isn't having quite as good a time of it, having signed for Åtvidaberg FF 18 months ago due to a desire to play for a 'bigger team'.  Åtvidaberg are currently only 3 points ahead of us in Superettan and Nyberg has made a total of 7 starts and 4 substitute appearances since leaving us, and 0 appearances this season.
Last season's departures - Rasmus Olausson YP3f has made only 3 appearances for Hammarby since leaving at the end of last season, and Anders Persson YP4a is still a free agent.  Out of interest, obviously I couldn't have signed him anyway, I tried to offer him a contract to see if he is still set against joining us - and won't even consider a contract offer.  Looks set for early retirement that one.

8 minutes ago, MadCatPT said:

Your tactics screen is your defensive shape.

Wouldn't it be better for your wingers to start from the middle and get wider for the attack?

Aren't you getting  overloaded on midfield defending?

That tactic is dead and buried along with all memories of this year's preseason man - it shall not be spoken of, nor the 7-0 or 8-1 hammerings my silly idea deservedly got along the way.  :ackter::D 

20 hours ago, mjaferrie said:

Youth Intake Day

youth intake.png

Much happier with this than last season's intake - we're in dire need of a central midfielder so I can see Rosenberg going straight into the team, and Narin getting a fair bit of game time himself.  We've a habit of producing quality wide men (no, not that kind ;)) so there's no surprise to see YP7 b, c and f here but I can't see them getting near the first team any time soon.  We're currently heavily overstocked in those positions.  

With Olausson's departure confirmed at the end of the season we're actually going to be a bit short in central defence next year, a new challenge for us given how we've been spoilt over the years with the likes of Wihlborg, Nyberg, Olausson and currently Lindell (YP4b).  I was hoping for something in the way of a replacement this year but I don't think these lads are going to cut it.

We're through to the Group Stage!... 
... after a 5-1 hammering of Umeå FC, with the aforementioned Lindell helping himself to a brace from central defence.  Unfortunately that match put Pontus Lindahl out for another couple of games through injury.

Just an idea, but if you see the Ass Man's recommendation as just a repeat of the PA info, (whether you do or not is up to you), then do you need both of them?

Great intake. :thup: Don't be completely surprised to see Pode (YP7e), become more than a 3.5 PA player in the future. 

4 minutes ago, mjaferrie said:

Can someone remind me, when you're tutoring which option is personality + attributes and which is just personality?  Or is it even that.. I know the difference is something like that!

The top one is personality + PPM's. 

The second one is just personality. 

5 minutes ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

Just an idea, but if you see the Ass Man's recommendation as just a repeat of the PA info, (whether you do or not is up to you), then do you need both of them?

Great intake. :thup: Don't be completely surprised to see Pode (YP7e), become more than a 3.5 PA player in the future. 

No sir I do not!  De-clutter underway.  Pode has only just made his debut almost a year after coming into the team, but he has indeed gone up to 4.0 PA already.

Just now, Jimbokav1971 said:

The top one is personality + PPM's. 

The second one is just personality. 

Thanks!

On 2016-10-19 at 20:18, mjaferrie said:

As this is a youth save, I won't be signing any players.  Just noticed that IFK Trelleborgs aren't allowed to sign any non-EU players though.  Anyone know if this is team specific (like something from your board), a division rule, or where is it coming from?  A hard Brexit might limit the number of Brits making it in the 4th tier of Swedish football...

IRL: I doubt it, there's as far as I know no foreigner limitation other than about half the match day squad (in the higher tiers) needs to be homegrown. But to attain a work permit IRL you need to have a wage exceeding around £1200/month and playing no lower than Division 2 (4th tier) if I'm not mistaken.

21 hours ago, Maple said:

IRL: I doubt it, there's as far as I know no foreigner limitation other than about half the match day squad (in the higher tiers) needs to be homegrown. But to attain a work permit IRL you need to have a wage exceeding around £1200/month and playing no lower than Division 2 (4th tier) if I'm not mistaken.

In game you're not allowed to sign non-EU players in Division 2.  Above D2 there's no such rule :)

Youth Intake Day!

Pretty happy with this!  Some not so desirable personalities, but with Marko Lukic now 33 a GK is a welcome addition (although he's going to have to fight YP4e for the gloves).  Can see YP8b getting straight into the team.

YOverall.png

yp8a.png

yp8b.png

YP8c.png

yp8d.png

yp8e.png

yp8f.png

Here's the situation heading into the last 6 games of the season.  We could realistically finish anywhere between 6th and 14th, so hopefully some good form will get us out of our current predicament.  Our last 10 games in the league have been W4, D1, L5 so we're doing alright, if we could turn some of those losses into draws we'll be well on our way!

table.png

Highlight of the season so far has to be beating our rivals Trelleborgs FF home and... er, well home technically... in the league, setting new record attendances and gate receipts on the way!  Our discipline left a lot to be desired in the 'away' game...

treaw.pngtreho.png

recat.png
recgr.png

1 hour ago, mjaferrie said:

Youth Intake Day!

Pretty happy with this!  Some not so desirable personalities, but with Marko Lukic now 33 a GK is a welcome addition (although he's going to have to fight YP4e for the gloves).  Can see YP8b getting straight into the team.

YOverall.png

#JealousAsAlways

Season Review

2 wins and 2 draws from the last 6 games, and 9 points more than our total from last season, just wasn't enough to pull clear of the relegation zone and we finish up again in 14th place with a relegation playoff to look forward to.  We've been drawn against Ljungskile SK, who we comfortably beat 3-1 away from home in the cup, so I'm reasonably confident heading into these crucial games, but nonetheless it's tinged with regret at what could have been this year.  The top 3 teams this year gathered a combined 18 points less than the top 3 from the previous season, with the bottom 2 also on a combined 8 points less than last year, meaning that there was another 26 points to play for from 4th-14th place.  So while we're down in a dogfight again this year, only 3 points would have guaranteed us safety.  

fixtures.png

table.png

Our top scorer, and best player, this season has previously been in the shadow of other strikers at our club but in several instances this season he dragged us through games.

yp3j.png

So here we go into another relegation playoff, one I don't feel we deserve this year (despite our yoyo form) but one I feel we should coast through.

Play Off Review and Expectations for Next Season

Our rollercoaster season of highs and lows, including club records for games without a win and games won in a row, has ended with an almighty crash in the lowest low we have experienced at IFK Trelleborg.  A 2-1 aggregate defeat to Ljungskile SK sees us relegated to Division 1 Södra and ends our time in the Superettan, despite a massive improvement in performances this year and being 9 points better off than last season.

rel.png

The following day, in a beautiful act of schadenfreude, my board greet me with this: 

scout.png

We have NO money.  Zero money.  In fact the board just took out a £1 million loan to cover our debts and we're still in the red!  We've had no facility upgrades, no youth recruitment upgrade, but amazingly we have money for a scouting network we don't need.  Harumph :lol:

Silver Linings?

I still have a job, and we're still professional.  4 members of my backroom staff refused to sign new contracts, but I've replaced them with much better and cheaper options so no loss there, and no players (so far - YP7a is itching to get outta here) have left us - even a couple of our best players have signed new contracts.  So we have a job to do next year and I'd expect to see immediate promotion back to the second tier.  We also have the cup group stage to look forward to, and hopefully we can claim our first points there.  Automatic relegation for rivals Trelleborgs FF sees us come up against them next year as well, with the bumper crowds the rivalry brings.

All ends in Superettan not so well, but onwards and upwards!

Hold the phone!  Not everything is so bleak on the Swedish south coast!

Not only did we get our first points on the board in the group stage, we got FIVE points and thanks to a hat-trick from our very own Ibrahimovic....

WE'RE THROUGH TO THE QUARTER FINAL!

I don't believe it!  Only 5 months after the heartbreak of relegation back to the 3rd tier and we produce some epic performances including a draw against Allsvenskan side BK Häcken.  Mental!

QF group.png

QF results.png

QF qual.png

QF Ibra.png

semi.png

Our incredible run continues with Ibrahimovic again the difference, unbelievable!  We're into the semi final!!!

Odds have just been released for the upcoming season and the media have us down to finish rock bottom of the table, and the board expect us to avoid automatic relegation... Nae faith lads, nae faith!  We've only just come down a division and the media's odds of 300-1 are actually worse than they gave us for the Superettan... I'll continue blindly ignoring predictions thanks very much :D

Oh!  He is in!  Samir Ibrahimovic, that is sensational!

What better way to celebrate victory over a Henrik Larsson managed Helsingborgs IF than paraphrasing commentary of the King of Kings himself.

Ibra gets the goal, Ericsson gets the plaudits as we continue our march into the Final of the Svenska Cupen.  I did not think I'd see this day for a long, long time to come.  We came into this season having never won a single point in the group stage, let alone won a game.  Unbelievable scenes!

final.png

Needless to say, this game smashed our attendance and gate money records, with 3051 watching one of the greatest games in our history.  All that stands between us and European qualification next year is 90 minutes against IF Elfsborg in the final.  I wonder if that would make us the lowest division team to qualify for Europe ever?  Can't believe this.  How on earth did we get relegated last season?!?!

Pre Season, Cup Review and Expectations for this Season

Preseason was a mixed bag for us this year, with the first round of games (i.e. before the start of the cup) looking painfully similar to last year when we failed to win or even draw a single game.  One draw and a handful of defeats wasn't boding well for us going into the cup group stage, but we all know how that finished!  The pickup in morale and form carried into our remaining friendlies, and we closed the preseason with 2 wins and a draw. 

preseason.png

I won't go into too much detail here about our cup run, as the excitement of qualifying for the knockout rounds resulted in several posts so far about that.  But I have to say, the undoubted star of our success this season has got to be Samir Ibrahimovic (YP5e).  After the cup semi final, we had 3 league games to contend before our big game against IF Elfsborg in which he continued his scoring form, including a hatrick against FC Höllviken and a brace against Tvååkers IF.  We're only 3 league games into the season, and he's already got 11 goals from 9 games.  Zlatan, stand aside!  Not sure why his stats are declining so rapidly though, that is a bit of a worry.

yp5e.png

Anyway.  The moment you have all been waiting for! How did we fair in Svenska Cupen final against IF Elfsborg, and will we be competing in Europe next season?

First Half

A smash and grab approach from us seemed to be working, as we defended solidly and managed to nick the lead in injury time of the first half through Faruk Zulic (YP3j).  We were backs to the wall though, with Elfsborg enjoying the majority of possession and we were already beginning to tire.

Second Half

63rd minute - our tiredness finally begins to show as Manns drew 3 of our defenders out to the right hand side letting Ahmedi slip by to cross for Lundén unmarked in the penalty box.  1-1.

78th minute - this time from the left hand side Lundqvist played an exquisite ball through to the middle of the park to Eklund, who unleashed an absolute screamer into the top right hand corner from miles out of the box.  Hands down, one of the best goals I've seen in this save and nothing we could do about it.  We were losing 2-1.

10 minutes to go and it looks like the game is up.  We're up against wave after wave of Elfsborg attack, we're absolutely knackered, we can't get on the ball.  Well, as far as I'm concerned, we have nothing to lose.  I switch our mentality from Counter to Overload and that man again!  Samir Ibrahimovic splits the defence and chips over the last man allowing Faruk Zulic to cut in behind and lash it into the back of the net just on the 84th minute mark.  We're back in the game!

Extra Time

I switched back to a conservative approach, we didn't have the energy to keep up the overload kind of play so my best hope was to hang on in there for the lottery of a penalty shootout, and gave the lads some encouragement before we had to endure another 30 minutes of back to the wall defending against the Allsvenskan giants.  

1 minute into extra time, and the lads weren't having any of it. 

Faruk Zulic is in the penalty box with 3 defenders around him, he has nowhere to go.  Cuts it back to Pontus Sandqvist (YP3c) who is in space on the right hand side.  YP3c plays a beautiful ball into the box for Ibrahimovic, who finds space behind the 3 defenders occupied with Zulic, AND WE TAKE THE LEAD! Still 29 minutes to play, but we're ahead for the second time in this heart attack inducing tie!

We hang on to our 3-2 lead until half time, giving the boys a couple of minutes breather before we go again in the 2nd half of extra time.

We're holding on in the 2nd half and there are only 3 minutes left to play when we are awarded a corner kick.  Eric Rosenberg (YP7a) takes an outswinger from the left hand side.  Samir Ibrahimovic is the first to the ball, but he can't gain control of it and it falls back to Joakin Ståhl (YP8b).  Ståhl lays it off for Sandqvist (YP3c) who is unmarked inside the box.  Sandqvist smashes it into the back of the net and we're 4-2 IN THE LEAD with 3 minutes to play!!!!

Boy did Elfsborg get angry!  The last 3 minutes were spent in and around our own box, with almost no touches on the ball. 

But we did it.  We hung in there for an historic 4-2 victory over Allsvenskan side IF Elsborg that sees us Svenska Cupen champions and qualify for the Europa League next season.  Unbelievable scenes in Trelleborg as we create the biggest day in the club's history.  Insane!

champ.png

cup.png

cup1.png

cup2.png

cup3.png

EDIT: Got so carried away with the excitement I forgot about our expectations for this year, so here they are:

Win.

3 hours ago, Jupjamie said:

I think that's one of the more crazy accomplishments I've ever seen on this board. Get relegated back to the Third Tier? No worries, we'll just go and play in Europe...

3 hours ago, MadCatPT said:

That's the stuff of legend!

Now they can't fire or else they will be killed! :lol:

Have fun getting promoted while trying to win the Europa League. :D

Totally mental!  I don't think I've ever experienced something like that in game - I thought I was on a roll just by not getting fired :lol: We're straight into the 3rd Qualifying Round which is drawn soon, can't really expect anything from that other than a hammering home and away but money money money!

Ola Wihlborg (YP2a) has just signed for AS Roma for £2.6m which could rise to £3.6m, having made 0 appearances for Juventus.  He spent the first half of last season at Juve before a January loan move to Olympique Lyonnais where he made 6 starts and 5 substitute appearances.

We also have to navigate 2 rounds again of the cup before the group stage, due to our relegation back to the 3rd tier, and we've been drawn against IFK Malmö who are currently bottom of our division.

17 minutes ago, DB08 said:

This is unbelievable. Couldn't believe my eyes when I read through that cup run. Congrats and good luck keeping the score down against Dnipro.

Brilliant to watch as well, I definitely get way more immersed in the game when I'm doing some kind of challenge like this!

First up in our Euro tie was the home fixture, which we played out again to record crowds and drew gate receipts of £85,000.  Nae bad!  The result however, was pretty much to be expected as we were hammered 4-1 by a team that just completely outplayed us.

euro.png

But can you believe this?!  We just drew away to Dnipro in the Europa League!  Samir Ibrahimovic with 2 goals in the tie, he just isn't slowing down this season!  A 5-2 aggregate defeat sees us knocked out in our first venture into European football, hopefully there is more to come!

Mid Season Review

Meanwhile, back on the domestic front, things are going along pretty smoothly.  We're currently in 2nd place after 16 games and only a point separates us and league leaders FK Karlskrona.  Man I forgot how tight this league was!  All is not so well for our rivals Trelleborgs FF who are currently 7th out of 14th teams. 

fixtures.png

table.png

Top scorer/performer this year?  Part man, part machine, part legend:

Ibra.png

19 goals, 7.54 rating.  Beast!

And here I was, thinking you'd be taking Europa League by storm. ;)

I'm just wondering, who's won the Allsvenskan since you've started? Would love a pic to see because I mostly find Malmö FF dominating in FM.

Anyways, good effort so far! :)

1 minute ago, RCtheOnly said:

And here I was, thinking you'd be taking Europa League by storm. ;)

I'm just wondering, who's won the Allsvenskan since you've started? Would love a pic to see because I mostly find Malmö FF dominating in FM.

Anyways, good effort so far! :)

Some day all of it will be ours!

Malmö have in the 9 seasons so far (including the 1 I holidayed) won the Allsvenskan 4 times, with IF Elfsborg winning it twice and Djurgården IF, Kalmar FF and IFK Norrköping all winning it once.  Interestingly, in the 5 seasons when Malmö didn't win it, they only came in the top 3 twice. 

AS.png

Haven't touched this save for a couple of days due to uni work, but I have a spare couple of hours before work this evening so youth intake update coming soon!

Youth Intake Day!

Yet again we have a beauty of an intake!  Delighted to get YP9b in as Rosenberg is itching for a move and I can't see myself hanging onto him for much longer.  Happy with this! 

youth intake.png

Meanwhile in the cup we were drawn, as previously mentioned, against IFK Malmö who I was fairly confident of overcoming with ease as they currently lie bottom of our division on 16 points compared to our 37.  We managed in the end to only scrape a 2-1 victory, which I wasn't too happy about given the difference in class between the two teams.  Nevertheless, we were through to the second round where we were drawn against GIF Sundsvall, a team we hadn't managed to beat in 3 previous attempts in the cup and Superettan.  We had held on for 89 minutes and the game looked to be going to extra time when the ball was slotted through to Olunga (ST) and we were 1-0 down.  We kicked off, went straight up the other end of the park, and equalised!  I couldn't believe it!  In the dying seconds of the game, they'd scored what looked to be the winning goal, but we managed to nick one just in time.  A goalless extra time followed and the match went to penalty kicks.  We scored, we saved! We scored, we saved again! We scored, they scored.  3-1 after three kicks, and one goal would win it for us... They saved, they scored... Daniel Lundberg YP5c steps up, and hits it straight down the middle into the back of the net!  We're through to the group stage again!  Marko Lukic only got a 6.9 rating for the match, but for saving two penalty kicks he's my man of the match!

18 hours ago, noikeee said:

This career is just full of entertaining stories!

I would congratulate you on the crazy achievement of winning the cup, but you do have Ibrahimovic so it's not that impressive. ;) 

Feels a wee bit like cheating aye :lol:

I'm lost to the editor for now - I'll get back to this save soon! :) 

22 hours ago, abirdc said:

Can't wait for what happened next. An entertaining story so far.

I'll be back on this tonight so updates coming soon! 

22 hours ago, Ferni said:

Good team choice, but you are not showing your tactics. We might help you

I've made the decision not to show tactics for a couple of reasons.  Firstly I change them all the time, even from match to match when I'm playing against much higher opposition.  I also change about due to the new players coming in as to accommodate our best prospects - I consider these first seasons as purely building towards a consistent place in Superettan and then Allsvenskan - so when I achieve that and the squad starts to become pretty consistent for a few years, tactics posts might become more pertinent.   In short - if I was to make a post about tactics in these early stages, it would very quickly be out of date.
Secondly, I want this post to focus on the youth development side of playing the game.  I'm looking for ways to get the most of the intake side of things, rather than actually what happens on the pitch (although that is of course still important).  Another reason why I was happy earlier in this thread to go off on a tangent a bit and talk about personalities, HOYD stats etc.  
I hope that gives you a good answer! I'm happy to discuss them if you're interested in what I'm using at this particular moment, but I can't guarantee that I will be in 2 games time, never mind 2 seasons!  

Aaaaaaand we're back!  So how did it go in the last game of the season?  Morgan Olsson YP5a scored on the stroke of half-time to give us a narrow 1-0 lead, a result which put us joint with Karlskrona and Ängelholms on points at the top of the table.  Goal Difference pushed Ängelholms down to 3rd place with +8, but there was still nothing to separate Karlskrona and ourselves as we were both tied there as well with +15.  Unfortunately we scored 18 goals less over the course of the season, so Karlskrona are this years First Division Södra champions and we qualify for the playoffs again.  At least it's the good type this year!

table.png

No surprises as to our top goalscorer and best performer this season!  Samir Ibrahimovic YP5e put 24 in the back of the net this year, with an average rating of 7.32.  Not bad at all!  And the even better news?  I got him to sign a new contract which will keep him at the club for another 2 seasons.  

Sami.png

Next stop, promotion playoffs!

Playoffs

We have been drawn against Dalkurd FF with the first leg being played at home.

playoff.png

And they have indeed been in pretty awful form, with only 1 win in their last 7 games.

form.png

We have a bit of history with Dalkurd - came up against them 4 times in our 2 seasons in the Superettan where our record is W2, L2, with an aggregate score of 7-5 to Dalkurd.  We also faced them in the Swedish Cup in the group stage 5 seasons ago, when we were hammered 4-0.  So history is not on our side, but at least we know that we're in much better form and morale is high.  

Season Review 2025

Okay, okay, I'll admit I got cocky.  Looking at their form in the last few games, I assumed heads would be down and we'd steamroller the first leg in front of our own fans.  Crank up the attacking in the tactics, and played a 4-2-4 (flat back line with CMs and wingers)...

Cue 2 goals in the first 5 minutes for Dalkurd FF.  Half time was beckoning and we were still 2-0 down, but our go-to saviour Ibrahimovic tucked one away in the 43rd minute which gave me something to work with in the interval, all hope was not lost!  I switched to a more counter style play that we're used to, and up popped Ibrahimovic again to equalise in the 61st minute!  Unfortunately we couldn't nick a decisive goal and the first leg finished 2-2. 

PO1.png

I went into the second leg a bit less headstrong than the first, shall we say!  I stuck to our counter play, hoping that we could hit them on the break and get a couple of goals (the Swedish play offs use the away goal rule, so we'd be out on a 0-0 or 1-1 draw).  Morgan Olsson, whose goal put us 1-0 up in the last game of the season and into the playoffs, came up with the goods for us and a 10th minute goal was enough to see us promoted in a 3-2 aggregate victory!

PO2.png

A great ending to a phenomenal season in Trelleborg!  We've gone from the lows of relegation, to qualifying for Europe, to drawing with Dnipro on their own patch, and now we're back up to the Superettan after only one season.  

fix.png

Expectations for next year?  Well, experience tells me that Superettan likes to play hard to get.  Last time there, we improved on our previous years' performance by 9 points, but it wasn't enough to climb out of the relegation playoff spots despite performing much better over the course of the year.  It looks to me like we've continued to improve this season, especially with our showing in the cup, so I'm hopeful that we can manage to avoid another playoff next season, but our aim still has to be purely survival and consolidation.  Onwards and upwards!

stats.png

Archived