Sports Interactive Community
Sign in to follow this  
decapitated

FM2017 featured on the BBC Daily Politics show today

I just switched on the Daily Politics show today on BBC2 and they said they'd have an item about the Brexit feature in FM2017 on the show today (I'd imagine around half 12/quarter to 1 after PMQs). Is this the first time a Football Manager game has been on UK terrestrial television? Is Miles coming on discuss it? 

it's featured in the news on BBC Online - I don't like this Brexit addition but i have to hand it to Miles, it's guerilla marketing at it's most ingenious!

It was on  the news as well on absolute radio, (which I think is sky news) got to hand it to Miles and Si.:applause:

It's started now with a clip of Harry Kane and one of Jurgen Klopp discussing Brexit, and now Miles has been introduced onto the programme.

Due to PMQs running 15 minutes late over they only had 3 minutes for the item, but a government minister responded to Miles saying although it's not his area of government, he would be "astonished" if foreign footballers were drastically limited in the EPL/SPL after Brexit in the same way as the FM2017 hard brexit options, and although the game is fun (he mentioned playing as AFC Bournemouth I think at the end of the show, I didn't hear him clearly) it shouldn't be taken as a guide to what will happen with Brexit, with Miles responding by saying nothing much happening to Work Permits and visa restrictions for managers (the presenters asked if there were restrictions on managers coming to England and he implied there might be) is also an option in the game.

I said it in the other thread yesterday, this is a real change from SI, they have only ever put stuff into the game that is actually in real football.
I can't remember what it was a few years back but people were asking if something was going to be added to the game but the answer from SI was that it wasn't fully into football yet so would not be added until it was.
Now SI has no idea how Brexit will effect football but they have added it anyway, certainly does seem more of a marketing idea than actually something to improve the game.

17 minutes ago, decapitated said:

Due to PMQs running 15 minutes late over they only had 3 minutes for the item, but a government minister responded to Miles saying although it's not his area of government, he would be "astonished" if foreign footballers were drastically limited in the EPL/SPL after Brexit in the same way as the FM2017 hard brexit options, and although the game is fun (he mentioned playing as AFC Bournemouth I think at the end of the show, I didn't hear him clearly) it shouldn't be taken as a guide to what will happen with Brexit, with Miles responding by saying nothing much happening to Work Permits and visa restrictions for managers (the presenters asked if there were restrictions on managers coming to England and he implied there might be) is also an option in the game.

He would say that, his job is to reassure the public (even if he's talking nonsense) and represent his political party, whom are currently in government, held the EU referendum and are ultimately responsible for the post 23/6 effects.

My personal opinion btw is that the top clubs won't be affected so much given the level of player they aim for. It'll be the middling & lower clubs that are more at risk of struggling to get permits for players they want to bring in, in the event of a hard-Brexit.

19 minutes ago, daylight said:

I said it in the other thread yesterday, this is a real change from SI, they have only ever put stuff into the game that is actually in real football.
I can't remember what it was a few years back but people were asking if something was going to be added to the game but the answer from SI was that it wasn't fully into football yet so would not be added until it was.
Now SI has no idea how Brexit will effect football but they have added it anyway, certainly does seem more of a marketing idea than actually something to improve the game.

They have added future events in previous games where the event is known but not the full details, for example CM01/02 introduced the unprotected contracts stuff before anyone really knew how it would work in the real world, and various versions have had nations join the EU as the game progresses even if the nations weren't 100% set to join the EU when the game was released, and FM16 had the feature where the World Cup was taken off Qatar and given to another country, which again is something that may or may not happen.

The things they don't like to add in are some of the dirtier aspects of football - fighting, bribes, match fixing etc... Aswell as things they aren't allowed to include due to licensing issues (MLS expansion teams for example).

Other nations being added and the World Cup going to another country doesn't effect everyone's save.
This is a pretty big thing to add when they have no idea what the real outcome will be.

When chatting with friends about a save and how well, or badly, each other were doing you would always get the usual question, did you sign him, how did you manage to get him to agree to a contract and such.
The question everyone will be asking now is "What sort of Brexit did you get?".

I really wish I can remember what a lot of people were asking for a few years back but SI kept saying it wasn't in the game and they didn't know how it would exactly turn out so they wouldn't be putting in to the game until everything was known.