[FM17]We've turned into a Monster....

BoxToBox

52 minutes ago, davehibb said:

Wow.

Fantastic start to the season!

Cheers, we're looking good, and we'll need to continue, as midway through a January that looked like it was going to be mostly disappointing, I've made a massive deal, equal parts coup and risk.....

61f83bb7ed836c00605c880f5e7013ad.png

That's all my budgets and finances stretched to the limit, at a club that was edging the line as is.

@LPQR will know this man well, though in this FM reality, he looks quite the different player.

10e56ea989429a7cd7c9f1dc74f0ee07.png

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, LPQR said:

ahhh, good old Max :)

looks more like a shadow striker than a playmaker in your 'reality' though 

Yes, and that's the kind of thing I expect from him, albeit usually from my RCM spot as a CMa, providing overloads.

Well, well, well, the last week of the window changed everything. Only one game, a 1-1 draw with Braunschweig, not worth screenshotting.

This was the most hectic window I've ever had, with about 10 days left, Bundesliga clubs started bidding like mad, for practically everyone in my academy! Hardest window I've ever had to navigate, and even had the board accept bids behind my back....:( I should also point out I was getting 55% of this into my spending budgets.

Outs.

c90c91629b3ece0e38b80ef704a2a929.png

Tobias Diez was a board decision, truly disappointing to see the star for the first intake leave, especially when he was showing progress. Fantastic money tbf. :(

Marko Funk, a player I brought in last summer, another board decision, was going to be great, but I don't use wingers, I could have negotiated a better deal than this, though! We spent 400k on him, ffs. :seagull:

Tobias Rühle, was brilliant first season but couldn't get in the side this, and wanted to leave for football. I offered him out for free, to make sure he got a club.

Fabrice Konigs, I arranged this deal, and it has a 50% of profit clause on it, a prospect I picked up for 44k, and wasn't well deep in the AMC depth chart of the U-19's(at least 4th before Diez left).

Sebastian Buhrenhaus, was never going to make it here, to be honest, his potential faded as the squad strengthened, and his quality never really rose.

Martin Mannel, his contract was a serious problem if we get promoted, and to be honest he wasn't playing that much better than the kid. So, off he goes, I don't mind helping Magdeburg, despite their manager being an ass.

This lad wasn't listed, but Steve Bowman left from the B team, 1.2m and a 30% of profit for a CB that didn't like like making the grade and was highly unprofessional despite tutorings. Delighted.

Ins.

This is a tale of two periods, one, before the above happened, and one afterwards.

in one.png

Nico Rinderknecht, we needed a ball winner, this lad is quick, can tackle, and was cheap.

Gedion Zelalem, a medium term replacement for Tom Ferguson, was lucky he was available, he's been good for me in past FM's. As an aside, I tried to pick him up on a free before, but he demanded too much.

We already know the story with Max, a risky coup that I couldn't believe came available.

Then the bids poured, and when the board started deciding behind my back, we had cash, massively better finances and options on the table...

in two.png

Jonas Meffert, a similar player to Khedira, very high quality loan and we have the option to buy him for 3m. Hopefully we'll get to activate that sometime next year.

Marius Muller, in to replace Mannel, hopefully he'll do better. At worst he's much younger, doesn't have "match highest earner", and a better personality. RBL helping us out again.....

Luca Waldschmidt, a capable backup to replace Ruhle, we only pay his wages if he plays, couldn't be a better situation for a bench option.

Florian Hubner, we were short in defence, this lad is quality and can pitch in tutoring, perfect.

Mainly we were lucky to keep all the other prospects, the ones I really wanted to keep(along with Diez). Frisch was especially in demand, by Dortmund, BMG, Schalke, Leverkusen and Hoffenheim.

Now we have a few mil in the bank, and I still have a few hundred K in the budgets.

Youth intake has just passed by and it's.. I'm not sure.

a989d16b7c54972afad2c065eaccec1b.png

Still rolling in the league, and after a run of soft draws in the cup, we get the easiest possible semi-finalist in Koln, they should see us off.

Dombrowski and Feigenspan are in a direct battle to take the clubs goalscoring record, Domb on 22, and Feig on 21, the record is/was 22.

c407333bbf42692f007dd57c4df3b12b.png

9 clear, 10 games, it's looking like it's real....

6c308033900b89902c9a9f9ee1da40ae.jpg

Here's the intake, and it looks good, but I reckon there's probably the one player worth taking, but I'll take all the top 5 anyway.

2497900665be7b0e1619f0acad07fe47.png

Wagener is the highest rated youth, but has the feel of a young player overrated for his physical gifts.

4f5c3d7a6178fbcf3443e83f8fee8dc1.png

If Bergerman has the potential they say, he's certainly a long way from hitting it.

84e9aa5ed040aefb79568fb60ba5158c.png

Leon Schmidt is the real gem, I believe, physically gifted like Wagerner, but also technically skilled too. His Off The Ball and Composure need work, mind.

On 10/20/2016 at 16:41, LPQR said:

great stuff so far, hope Magdeburg can go up with you in the second division :) 

I second that.

Cool idea, shame you had to destroy Preussen Munster for it though!

11 hours ago, ssestig said:

Superb start to the career and it won't be too long before challenging Bayern at this rate ;)

Cheers!

7 hours ago, davehibb said:

Shame about the board accepting those bids mate but promotion looks to be in the bag.

I just hope they give you some cash to invest in the team once you're up.

I'd like a little, mainly I want to keep Meffert permanently, and I know I have the 1.7m bill for Boubacar Barry upcoming. There's also a 3m option on Joel Abu Hanna, but I'm not sure I'll take it. Would be nice to progress with the bones of the squad that has been so successful.

6 hours ago, CRM2009 said:

I second that.

Cool idea, shame you had to destroy Preussen Munster for it though!

In afterthought, I should have chosen another club, and inserted a local rivalry with them. At the time they made the most sense.

5 hours ago, MarcxD said:

Wow, you're doing really well so far. Great thread.

Cheers!

42 minutes ago, BoxToBox said:

Oh ****! I'm after losing the save with the intake, cleaning up my folder I screwed up......

I still have a save after the last fixture, so I've lost nothing else, but Schmidt is gone... :(:seagull:

:(

Well, we have a replacement intake....

86e1b0e917e56866c8f4439d04028aa1.jpg

This is incredibly odd, especially the amount of multi-nationals. From here it looks strong, the HOYD is raving about that keeper.

55eed6444cb491e1a45268c2f4e46091.png

Fredriksen is probably more suited to the wing, and has a horrible PPM for a striker, combined with dreadfully low Professionalism. I think the staff are wrong about this guy, but we'll work him over with tutors and hope for the best as pace, work ethic and versatility are always desirable. Boy's a long term project.

6ffb43be71b39c718c79a5e1303ce82d.png

Risse is the HOYD's favourite, and with good reason! Has a decent attribute balance and one of the best personalities. Downside is GK is an area the club is very deep in potential on now, but at worst a club grown backup is ideal.

b1b036afca38a2eb06aa00b316557bbe.png

Mujic isn't as highly rated, but is an absolute beast for a 15 year old, hopefully he's not a case of being overrated for his existing quality.

f91c0af0da67b9f82c711c03a78eda4c.png

Honerbach is a defender who has no idea how to defend who can also play at fullback but has not technical quality going forward. Why is this man a footballer? How is he still one of the best players in his age group?

596ef9eb52b988b97266bf761df91ef7.png

Haitz is properly rapid and less crap at defending than attacking.

To be fair, had this been the original intake, I'd have been delighted with what I landed, but I I think Schmidt would have been streets beyond them.

Oh, with quite a few dual nationals in my intake, and a desire to develop homegrown talent, I'm at a crossroads, what do I do if my young charges declare for another nation? I can't decide whether it'd be against the spirit of the save to play other nationals, even if they're part German or American. I'm specifically thinking of the likes of Mujic, who if he makes it at international level at all, is likely to be for Bosnia, or Frisch who I believe to be the real deal talentwise, but is German & Spanish, so could go either way.

f9e2f12253fe15189c210885a160445f.png

Title sealed, few games left though.

ef98a459c4e344a7fde0beeb3be93fff.png

Not a great budget, tbh(I could shuffle about 30k of the wages and bring the transfers to 2.5-3m). Still, I'm not bothered, I'll have enough that the Boubacar Barry deal doesn't hurt. Other than that, I just want the board to not sell players behind my back, and I'll keep on, keeping on. I can sell the odd backup, and some are leaving on a free, some youth could be promoted.

We still have at least another 2m to come in, from the DFB Pokal semi, and the end of season influx, so they should be flush enough to leave me at it.

:eek:

4a06f3a050aaee10e76bff546db28780.png

This was amazing! The gameplan worked perfectly(Counter, Be More Disciplined, Drop Slightly Deeper), the surprise was, Horn was in world class form, a lesser keeper and that was a 0-5 win. Hubner got a header from a free kick, the January signing instantly worth every penny.

Bayern in the final.

:hammer:

92a25a4940a2aa3e11969a9178f369f3.png

We gave them a damn game! Well, for 70 minutes.... A quick goal off a set piece made it hard from the start, but we were in it until Khedira got sent off. Even had a chance to equalize a few minutes before their third.

20 minutes ago, LPQR said:

congrats on the title win!

impressive performance against Koln too, some proper domination there :)

Cheers, probably the best match of the save so far.

f9ba918bd40c6ae629badcf7a02e615c.jpg

Can't complain about that run! What a season we had, never expected the like.

7e9404b57817c3bbbe8a86d48df24a5f.jpg

Our players cleaned up all the individual records, barring the keepers, but we used three throughout the season, so expected.

03eed40f2d8307493be204acc0e88c21.png132cabb2a8cc505aebb7105ff15fc03d.png

Can't argue with most of that, Hubner(7.78av) was better than Hanna, though, and I think we had better results than the Bochum game.

735f3271a40e9a606be5e0c123f1ab1d.png

Finances are great, so hopefully the board leave me to decide which players go.

e61426b76038acde3c011a206f50b9d3.jpg

Nothing much out of the ordinary for the Bundesliga, but look at the relegated teams! :(

No hyper juice derby, yet.....

Oh, Dombrowski made the WC squad in the end, well earned.

9 hours ago, davehibb said:

Ouch!

What are RBL playing at!!!! :D

Congrats on the promotion, looking forward to seeing how you get on. :)

I'm gutted, I was dying to get the derby started, and was expecting them to be well ahead of us for a while.

5 hours ago, noikeee said:

Completely Monstering through the leagues here.

:D

3 hours ago, deltablue said:

You must be over the Mun.

Everyone's high as a kite on it.

2 hours ago, facman said:

Can't believe RBL got relegated, I reckon they did it on purpose! It'll be interesting to see whether you can strengthen the squad enough for next season.

We beat two lower mid table Bundesliga teams in the cup, and weren't embarrassed by Bayern, even with 10 men. We shouldn't pull up any trees, but we could have a reasonable season. I'll mostly try to get a few cheap deals and loans in, want to keep the core of the team and leave room for the youths, some of whom are looking more and more ready. If the ******* board don't chuck them, that is.

@Jimbokav1971 Quick question/opinion, if you don't mind?

I have a young player, with good professionalism and 19 determination(personality is Determined). I can bring in an old player(34), who is a model professional, and has 17 determination. Surely it would be worth loosing two determination points to be tutored into a Model Professional?

The new guy is more than good enough to start, would probably be my best CB(despite pace issues), but is of course on the decline, and would be a high earner at the club(12kpw, in fact the highest I have only two players above 10k). I'm thinking it'd be worth the wages(which in a season or two shouldn't be a lot) to bring him in for 2-3 seasons and have him tutor as many guys as possible. There are only 3 Model Professionals that I can find that are A: German or American or B: Anyway useful on pitch. Worse than that, only two of them are of age to tutor....

Sorry, that's not as quick as I thought it was...

5 hours ago, BoxToBox said:

@Jimbokav1971 Quick question/opinion, if you don't mind?

I have a young player, with good professionalism and 19 determination(personality is Determined). I can bring in an old player(34), who is a model professional, and has 17 determination. Surely it would be worth loosing two determination points to be tutored into a Model Professional?

The new guy is more than good enough to start, would probably be my best CB(despite pace issues), but is of course on the decline, and would be a high earner at the club(12kpw, in fact the highest I have only two players above 10k). I'm thinking it'd be worth the wages(which in a season or two shouldn't be a lot) to bring him in for 2-3 seasons and have him tutor as many guys as possible. There are only 3 Model Professionals that I can find that are A: German or American or B: Anyway useful on pitch. Worse than that, only two of them are of age to tutor....

Sorry, that's not as quick as I thought it was...

I would go for it -- that's a pretty amazing tutor to be high in both. What are their respective Media Handling types?

Given his personality, at best the young player is 17 Pro/19 Det, although he could be lower since Determined is 1-17 for professionalism. I'd happily trade professionalism for determination there since, in my experience, it's the second most important thing in development (behind playing time). It may be different for non-youth oriented saves, but I also think long term about the young player being a tutor himself down the line and which set of attributes I'd prefer for that.

One thing to plan for -- the tutor has to be "better" than the youth player and play often enough to keep up his squad importance. If you get the tutor, you may want to find the right rotation that keeps the tutor involved but off the injury table. Not only can he not tutor when hurt, but a catastrophic injury could ruin his abilities on the field and then make him useless off.

1 minute ago, Ceching You Out said:

I would go for it -- that's a pretty amazing tutor to be high in both. What are their respective Media Handling types?

Given his personality, at best the young player is 17 Pro/19 Det, although he could be lower since Determined is 1-17 for professionalism. I'd happily trade professionalism for determination there since, in my experience, it's the second most important thing in development (behind playing time). It may be different for non-youth oriented saves, but I also think long term about the young player being a tutor himself down the line and which set of attributes I'd prefer for that.

One thing to plan for -- the tutor has to be "better" than the youth player and play often enough to keep up his squad importance. If you get the tutor, you may want to find the right rotation that keeps the tutor involved but off the injury table. Not only can he not tutor when hurt, but a catastrophic injury could ruin his abilities on the field and then make him useless off.

Cheers for that, I did go for it in the end, though I'm currently, and probably always involved in loads of transfers I do want to focus on youth development more and more.. I actually brought in two Model Profs, both with 17 Det, one is fairly low rep, but my team is low rep so there are plenty for him to work over. I also have a bosman for a young American who's currently 23, but is a Model Pro with 20 Det. He's not a great player(maybe he'll peak at a 2nd div level player), but I'm hoping he can pitch in with the 15 and 16 year olds each season. As you say, I'm hoping some of the players being tutored will become tutors themselves down the line.

I found a Model Citizen goalkeeper, but he's 39 and retiring. Still, he's joining me as a GK coach, more for the novelty than anything.

I never considered the Media Handling types, the tutor(I actually ended up using the 2nd guy, the 1st is tutoring someone else) is Reserved, and the learner is Level-Headed.

1 hour ago, BoxToBox said:

Cheers for that, I did go for it in the end, though I'm currently, and probably always involved in loads of transfers I do want to focus on youth development more and more.. I actually brought in two Model Profs, both with 17 Det, one is fairly low rep, but my team is low rep so there are plenty for him to work over. I also have a bosman for a young American who's currently 23, but is a Model Pro with 20 Det. He's not a great player(maybe he'll peak at a 2nd div level player), but I'm hoping he can pitch in with the 15 and 16 year olds each season. As you say, I'm hoping some of the players being tutored will become tutors themselves down the line.

I found a Model Citizen goalkeeper, but he's 39 and retiring. Still, he's joining me as a GK coach, more for the novelty than anything.

I never considered the Media Handling types, the tutor(I actually ended up using the 2nd guy, the 1st is tutoring someone else) is Reserved, and the learner is Level-Headed.

That's awesome! I get irrationally excited about improving youth personalities. I'd be interested to see how much tutoring you're able to do with the American; I'm still on FM15 and it can be finicky with who it will let tutor depending on how the player compares relative to the squad. FM17 may be different though.

Ahh makes sense. On occasion you can tell how professional a player is by Media Handling -- Evasive or Reserved mean the player is 15+.

2 minutes ago, Ceching You Out said:

That's awesome! I get irrationally excited about improving youth personalities. I'd be interested to see how much tutoring you're able to do with the American; I'm still on FM15 and it can be finicky with who it will let tutor depending on how the player compares relative to the squad. FM17 may be different though.

Ahh makes sense. On occasion you can tell how professional a player is by Media Handling -- Evasive or Reserved mean the player is 15+.

Nah, it's the same, there are definitely some tutoring situations I'd have expected to be possible, but weren't.

Well, I finally have an update after far too long, real life crap got in the way(doesn't it always?) Not much on the match front, our backups won a cup game against a low league team. There were debuts for quite a few youths and backups, though!

Here's the list of outgoing transfers.

40bc8d2fbbe6a3169a69326b5c4ccb1a.png

Good money for Saller, a player who while decent was down the pecking order at CM(a), due to Besuschkow and Ortega's continued form and development.

Nothnagel was alright, but consistently outshone by Alba, who began as his backup. Alba only had one bad game, the cup final, and  has consistently outgrown expectations of his potential.

Braun and Rizzi were important for us in their day, but about to hit 30, and not really worthwhile tutoring personalities meant their contracts were left to run out.

Shulze is similar to above, but with a year on his contract was worth moving on now.

Khedira I didn't want to sell, but I couldn't turn that down, especially if it keeps the board at bay.

Molinaro was sent on loan to develop, but also he's been playing for Italy's youth teams.

The rest are mostly chaff really. Williams and Reyes have a chance to be useful, but as of now aren't really worth screencapping.

9m is a decent haul for such a low valued squad all in all, especially as we only sold one player that was in my plans.

Here's the list of incoming players, of which I'll go into a bit more detail. The aim of the game this summer was to bring in tutors and experience, so my young players could develop, along with depth. I do mainly want my key players from last year to have a crack at the Bundesliga, Dombrowski, Feigenspan, Alba, Barry, Trevino, etc.

eb8ca8bf1d21784e9d9ad12b62f7b225.png

We begin with the usual haul of USA academy players on free transfers, with one worth noting already.

ad6e2b6703e182176f0422071e4c9c0d.jpg

Joe here is now our backup keeper, and has already developed from Balanced to Fairly Prof, he looks quite a prospect, I think.

5ce3ce0a8d27f64cdb4833be025858f6.jpg

Becker was mixed in with them too, I'm hoping to develop his personality, and see him become an important player, at worst he's useful backup, being able to play down either wing.

59f23f54cc313ae4b2f1a2aefd255dd0.png

Marcus Reith, for the 2nd year running I pinch the cream of Stuttgart's academy....

8c6a11ab476b47574c1b085636c316d2.jpg

Barry's long touted permanent transfer comes to pass, a weaker personality in the squad(which is beginning to have high standards), but real quality to make up for it.

f7abc91358222a7421fe8edabd139f62.jpg

Ristl's loan gives us much needed depth in midfield(especially after Khedira's exit), we have a 2.3m option on him too.

804d6e8254388c29c5e4a0bbab973db9.png

Westermann gives us an injection of quality and experience in defence, and also the chance to tutor some young defenders.

b272b2bd1bfe60072c51767dd7b11878.jpg

Shwabl is here to tutor. Useful depth too.

https://i.gyazo.com/5563b4090b4c3b557e3c4eccc6ffaebc.jpg

Heinloth is the replacement for Schulze, younger, quicker, a touch more quality and a better personality.

https://i.gyazo.com/55dadf3ab00a5d708873781b6dcbaffb.jpg

Vollman is yet another backup/tutor, also learning to play striker.

https://i.gyazo.com/858f65ea79bb2edbaf1faa8a1c52404b.jpg

Bakalorz is Khedira's replacement, a lot of wages but he's an upgrade in quality, a good tutor and the overall finances work very well, we paid 1m cash up front, compared to 3.5 up front for Khedira.

https://i.gyazo.com/11611dfe46eabc5c61f91e6f3bc9cc46.png

We've actually bought him back cheaper, unless he plays 50 games for us in which case it's a wash. May never become good, I'd be delighted with useful backup, a club that's only existed 3 years needs to keep hold of any homegrown players if they have any ambition to play in Europe in the future.

Apparently after this was sealed, Drake was seen bursting into the chairmans office, shouting "Diez what!" and grabbing his crotch, like so...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfsmfJ_fYMU

https://i.gyazo.com/fbee32f378c14e5c3239161d46e87a07.jpg

Griesbeck, backup, tutor, blah blah blah...... Actually tutoring Diez at the moment....

Finally, squad personality has hit Highly Professional, our facilities are being upgraded again, our recruitment is now Above Average, we have 18m in the back, I still have a budget to play with(4m), cracking stuff all round.

1 minute ago, abulezz said:

Your Youth Intake have been great thus far, but I assume that is the case in Germany - the German teams (and the Brazilians) always seem to have, by far, the best prospects!

It's surprising though, as my recruitment hasn't been higher than average for either intake, so I'm wary that they may still be quite overrated potential wise.

2 minutes ago, BoxToBox said:

It's surprising though, as my recruitment hasn't been higher than average for either intake, so I'm wary that they may still be quite overrated potential wise.

I think it boils down to the country (Germany) you are in - like I said, there always seems that most of the great prospects are either German or Brazilian in my saves.

3 minutes ago, facman said:

Pah! I need to start a save in Germany, my youth intakes are always rubbish!

Good transfer dealings all round! :D

Cheers, I think I done well enough, all told, though maybe I could have done with a statement signing.

2 minutes ago, BoxToBox said:

Cheers, I think I done well enough, all told, though maybe I could have done with a statement signing.

No, I don't think so... I haven't made a whacking great signing in my Leeds save, even Callum Wilson and Kranevitter were bargains by Premiership standards and we're doing fine. I'm a great believer in picking up cheaply, as with big banner headline signings there can be a tendency to try to fit that square peg into a round hole...

59 minutes ago, facman said:

No, I don't think so... I haven't made a whacking great signing in my Leeds save, even Callum Wilson and Kranevitter were bargains by Premiership standards and we're doing fine. I'm a great believer in picking up cheaply, as with big banner headline signings there can be a tendency to try to fit that square peg into a round hole...

You're probably right. Slow and steady would suit developing the players anyway.

2710e7dfc7748bb27904affe01daafb5.png

Pretty mixed bag there, crap losses, decent wins, and a great point against Dortmund, especially as we not only came from behind, but had a 16 year old leading the line and two youth grads made their debut, albeit via the bench. Against Stuttgart in the cup, they had a one day gap after a 4-0 battering they took off of Dortmund, so I threw in all the backups(even keeper) and whatever happened, happened. They played well enough and we had hit board expectations.

Diez and Kulagic were the two who got their first minutes, both doing well, Kulagic is all pace, but growing very well.

6a28a6c6b82a3625c5cd60776cc5ffce.png

Leaves the table like this, which is delightful, anything above 15 is a good season.

946add05b2defbcc8d6e3a4a75aed83b.png

Kirchhoff started both cup games, and is really looking like becoming quite the player, maybe even one of the hottest prospects in the country..... Barry hasn't looked great this season, and Kirchhoff may be close to usurping him in the squad.

20 hours ago, Holdii said:

Just caught up on this and you have done brilliantly, unlucky to lose to Bayern in the final but I'm sure you will get them back eventually! Marvin Frisch looks absolutely brilliant.

Cheers, he's actually been the most impressive forward so far this season,  though none have been worldly.

Archived