[FM17]We've turned into a Monster....

BoxToBox

...and we're only getting stronger(hopefully)!

So, what's the story here, then?

Well, the save is started in the German 3rd division, and I've used the Create a Club feature to take over a club. In this world, Monster Energy Drinks have decided to take their battle with Red Bull straight to their home turf, because what would better prove dominance than beating them at their own game, on their own turf(kinda I guess, Austria is their real home turf, but Leipzig is their flagship club). Due to German naming rules about not using branding in club names(ala Rassenballsport Leipzig), they've bought out a club in a town with a name not far from Monster.... SC Preuben Münster.

Welcome to Münster Energie!

The club that somehow make RB Leipzig the good guys.....

c50511b595c76a33d44b9fee0dca6f33.png

641f5c2434e814cd10d33cdd1191d712.png

There won't be too many harsh limitations, but the save will be mainly youth focused, the only real twist being that I can only buy Germans and Americans(perhaps Canadians too?), they're an American company, so will also try to use this as an opportunity to help America develop as a "soccer" nation.

d24d219e58f38aea8a45a428feaf33bf.png

We're a club with a proud history that stretches back entire days.

2ef7df80b916df92bc535d7126612dc4.jpg

We've certainly got a fine set of rivalries there(they should all be competitive, I fudged that....)!

05959c022aae959363a8914245866406.jpg

That's as we stand, but I'm most of the summer forward, so I can tell you some business has gone down.

78fbf38d958da524085da8ab498b4d2c.jpg

John Drake is the pretty much unknown American chosen to lead this daft charge.

We've kept the existing squad(for now), but not the staff.

Here we go.....

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, LPQR said:

YES! amazing club philosophy and finally someone managing in Germany :D 

I'll be all eyes and ears to see how this turns out ;)

I thought if anyone might be interested, it'd be you! :D

12 minutes ago, Deisler26 said:

Nice idea. Best of luck

Cheers!

Right, first window's just close up, and we'll have a look at the shape of things.

Leagues loaded.

This is the full squad as it stands.

Bischoff is the star, yet I'm struggling to fit him in, might retrain to AMC.

Weibenfels is a player I really like, but he's on a one year contract that he's "happy with at the moment".

Fixtures.

Preseason went well, albeit short, I need to sort that out in future. We weren't fit enough for the season's start and it showed, making our predicted finish of 11th look optimistic to say the least. A few rants, and some morale raising friendlies, and we're on track, sitting pretty in third.

Transfers!

When the USA is an active league, FM pre-loads some regens across the country, for the upcoming MLS Drafts, but as they're all low league/College clubs, they're amateur, and can be approached by non-American clubs, I've naturally had a field day with this as our academy and B team between them had a grand total of 3 players. Also, surprisingly, there were some pre-loaded clubless German regens too, including a few especially interesting prospects(probably other countries too, outside my scouting knowledge).

Dimo Wulf could have had a backup role, were he two years older, quite an exciting youngster.

Unal Aydin is well rated, but needs work, at 15 he has the world of time, of course.

Bernd Bolten is quick, and can cross, should develop into a useful winger at least.

Jake Trevino is rated as the hottest prospect at the club now, and it's easy to see why, will probably move him to the main squad.

Joseph Villareal looks like a tidy playmaker in the making.

Tom Ferguson is already in the first team, his pace and skill are valuable, but his passing needs work.

We also set up some future transfers, of which three are very much worth noting.

Danny Dombrowski already looks too good for us! His main weakness is that "Domb!" isn't catchy like "Gronk!" :( That and his Dribbling, but I'm focusing on the real issues at hand.

Colin Beattie is the apple in RBNY's Academy, a major coup to pluck one of our rivals key prospects right out under their nose. 4 days after signing, in training he picked up knee tendonitis, nothing dodgy there.....

Ryan Gomez looks like becoming a real quality mid. He's Canadian though! I didn't realise as I was poking around the MLS academies, that I was in Toronto's. He's the reason I have the earlier mentioned dilemma, include Canadians with my German/American only rule, or just move him on when possible. I have until 2018 to decide, I guess....

3 hours ago, davehibb said:

Looking forward to this mate. :)

Glad to have you along!

I'm not focusing too much on tactics yet, not until I get a core of favourite players and have had a season or two to shape the first team squad more to my suiting, but I can post what I'm currently working with.

This 4-3-1-2 is currently my main tactic, a shape I regularly use and like, but at the moment is mainly a way to get as many of our better players on the pitch as we can(and I'm not especially impressed by my wide options). I've chosen fullbacks because I also don't believe we're strong enough to let our wide defenders bomb on quite as much as wingbacks do. Not in this shape anyway.

4312_zpsxdkd54ha.png

This is just an old tactic I've copied from an RBL save on FM16 for the time being, just in case I think I need a more balanced shape, it's called Gives You Wingers(gets coat...).

4411_zpsxk7o9s1m.png

This is from the same FM16 save, a more attacking setup, just for chasing games/goals, really, again, "just in case", called Jagerbomber(doesn't deserve coat...).

3412_zps1f8rpe5v.png

4 minutes ago, Deisler26 said:

Watch it. Bischoff is incredibly injury-prone IRL

Cheers! I'll keep a careful eye on him.

5 minutes ago, Ceching You Out said:

Love this idea. Always a good sign when it gets the wheels turning in my head.

Which club did you replace? Also noticed that your transfer policy in one of the screenshots is "can't sign non-EU". Makes it more difficult to sign Americans (or Canadians), eh?

Cheers! This is the club I replaced. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SC_Preußen_Münster

The can't sign non-EU thing isn't an issue, as in the league rules, the USA and Canada are in the "Nations Treated as EU" list.

1 minute ago, withnail316 said:

It doesn't help that the club you've picked are the natural rivals of my German club either, tbh! But still, looking forward to it. 

Luckily, there's pretty much nothing natural about what I'm doing!

4 hours ago, BAFC said:

Hilarious and genius idea for a save! Best of luck, I will be following this.

4 hours ago, SounessTash said:

Posting for the blue dot to remind me to check this, nice idea.

Cheers guys!

1 minute ago, Black and Yellow said:

Oooh, this is a very similar storyline to what I have planned. 

Looks like we'll be taking down Red Bull on two fronts :D

I look forward to seeing what you're up to.

4 hours ago, deltablue said:

It's a pity you can't sign Hulk. It would have otherwise seemed fitting ;)

Can you imagine if we landed him into the German 3rd div, the protests, the war on financial doping!

4 hours ago, clarkehwbu said:

Love the idea of this, will be following!

Cheers!

It's the first of November, and seems like a decent time for an update.

ddb3ef9c8405274551d5ca0a231e5ffc.png

Pretty excellent in the league, mostly.

Bernd Bolten got a game, and scored, the staff opinion on his potential is already fading, though.

Jake Trevino was dropped straight into the first 11, and excelled, earning a national youth call up, which ended up being a problem, he's come back in crap form.

We took the lead twice against Bremen II, but honestly deserved nothing from that game, they had a pacey wingback, and pacey striker, apparently we just couldn't handle that.

Aalen was lost on an own goal, after which we pointlessly barraged their goal.

b2778a30841be1d88cae06fb2cae8364.png

I was hoping we'd manage to compete for the playoff spot, so this is mighty fine. I'm hoping we can at least keep in the mix for automatic promotion from here. Paderborn is a real shock, they were expected to comfortably win the league.

0a8f0de07ff681e368ad0eb119bc1f45.jpg

This is the lad that's getting all the goals for me, somehow.... There's a "one wing to Rühle them" pun in there somewhere...

22e0b8cb078ae0f35a91b28891f7b762.jpg

This lad was signed in Oct, but I'd been chasing him from season start(his agent was a nightmare to deal with), a clear upgrade despite our current RB being good.

In the 2-3 Osnabruck game, he made his debut from the bench, after our early goal, they equalized, and when I went to give them a shouting at from the sideline, I noted the starting RB "looked complacent", while drawing, 25 minutes in. Instantly hauled off, and Schulze here nabbed a pair of assists. The other lad is French too, so hopefully a January axing.

And finally.....

0a200989773faa74e7d3d3054a972072.png

John Drake will be hanging around Münster for a while longer, especially if promoted. He plans on spending the extra 100€ a week on importing beef jerky.

2 hours ago, LPQR said:

rolling in the league, excellent so far!

Cheers!

2 hours ago, facman said:

You deserve a yellow card for some of those jokes! ;)

enjoying the story so far 

At least, they're dreadful I'll freely admit. :D

So, we're in the middle of January, and we're still doing well.

7bfdf13b05d44a30c915f14553b97f7e.png

4 wins, 1 draw and 2 losses, fair running, though Erfurt aren't any good and we should have done better, but Mainz II were all over us, we should have had a much worse hiding.

f37c5125eda9fa1d139810c6e97dba0f.png

Still on top at the winter break, absolutely delighted with that! Since Mainz II can't be promoted, all we have to do to hit the 2nd Div is stay ahead of Aalen, and ahead of Grobaspach for a promotion playoff spot.

We have one piece of transfer news to tell, besides the arrival of Dombrowski and a few prospects, well, our rivals at the top, Leipzig, I noticed had a player with his contract running out, Stuttgart were interested too, so we had to wait a few weeks until their attention shifted elsewhere, as we in no way can compete with them, yet... Anyway, we got a name on the dotted line.

f8608b53f5841ce6dee01662c9374cae.png

This is massive, for us, but better than that, RBL for some reason agreed to sell him instantly for 85k. Big money for us, for now, but reachable....

54b54c220889fe7803c424c107ccff90.jpg

Instantly becomes the best player at the club.

John Drake knew that most back home thought he was on a fools errand here in Germany, but he didn't expect even Red Bull to take them with this complete lack of seriousness, and/or respect. No mind, he'll take every advantage he can get in this game, and will give them a fright later....

Can't see much more happening this window, barring sales and perhaps another bosman or two if the sales do happen, as the finances are probably too tight even for those now.

13 minutes ago, davehibb said:

Poaching RB's cast offs huh? ;)

He should be a great signing for you and automatic promotion looks odds on, even at the half way point. Good stuff!

Drake isn't afraid to do what it takes, and is happy for ex-RB players to join up if they can help.

2 minutes ago, Deisler26 said:

Related to Sami?

Brother.

32 minutes ago, facman said:

Great signing... here's hoping you can keep hold of him!

His buyouts are 6.5m for non promotion, 8.5 for higher division clubs, anyone hit's them I'll be happy enough, he's also got a +2 option on the contract if we get promoted which will take us to 2021. I can't see a way of loosing here.

2 minutes ago, clarkehwbu said:

I hope that's Coca Cola and not the other stuff!

Funnily enough, there's a guest writer at The Higher Tempo Press, who's doing a Coco Cola franchise FM17 save based on the various 'models' out there, such as Red Bull's, Chelsea's, The Pozzo's and Man City's etc.

I think he's opted to start off as Antwerp in the Belgian second division.

44 minutes ago, Time_Consumer said:

Was thinking about doing a similar thing as "Cokechester United". Will follow this one for sure!

Brilliant! :D

19 minutes ago, Jupjamie said:

Khedira is absolute quality!

He really is, and way too good for us now, we were lucky he was incredibly unhappy at RBL, and that Stuttgart decided against poaching him.

18 minutes ago, clarkehwbu said:

I hope that's Coca Cola and not the other stuff!

Gengengengengengengengenpressing!

14 minutes ago, davehibb said:

Funnily enough, there's a guest writer at The Higher Tempo Press, who's doing a Coco Cola franchise FM17 save based on the various 'models' out there, such as Red Bull's, Chelsea's, The Pozzo's and Man City's etc.

I think he's opted to start off as Antwerp in the Belgian second division.

Interesting, I never think to check out the blogs.

So, window's closed, and we're ready for the rest of the season.

04350ab832d2dfb722805106dd35aa0a.png

Not much football happened, that 0-0 was frustrating, first 75 minutes was played entirely in their half, then my RB got a red and we just about held off their star striker, RBL oldboy Daniel Frahn.

5c033394a366cc6a74bd34f1ca7efb50.png

Still holding off Magdeburg.

Transfers.

dc14d19745cec0131fe1465a0ec6baa0.png

59d326cf2000aca47b8360b40c0350a5.png

Ortega and Williams are a pair of decent looking prospects.

Wouldn't have sold Aydin, but it's a great fee and I needed the funds to complete the Boubacar Barry deal.

Now, and here is where our friend John Drake shows his naivety in the world of European football....

Boubacar Barry, an immense young prospect(relatively), was available for loan or transfer on deadline day, due to unhappiness, but the transfer fee is 1.7m. John wanted to get this over the line quite badly, so he negotiated a end of next season loan, with a mandatory future fee of 1.7m. Obviously without considering if the club would be able to actually afford that when it goes down. Also without considering the fact that when the loan ends in the summer of 2018, his contract with Karlsruhe does too, and he'd be available on a free...... At least it gets us in ahead of some 2nd div and Bundesliga sides that were chasing him, I guess. Looks like the loan is able to be terminated, but I have no idea what that does to the future fee, perhaps we can terminate and sign him on a bosman in January 2018, but he's already accepted a contract with us, so who knows.....

Classic deadline day acting without thinking, which is odd, as usually I spend ages mulling over transfers. Still, he's 4 star in the squad as stands, and looks a potential beast.

Transfer details.

Not sure why that says future fee after 100 games, as it's definitely a mandatory fee.

Another concern is, I think the squad is lacking in professionalism, which is potentially a real problem. It's partially due to signing all these USA kids without being able to scout them. Just something to be mindful of with future senior squad signings, need to keep eyes on tutors and generally highly professional players.

Archived