dafuge's FM17 challenge

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, XaW said:

Had the same as well. Thought about posting it as a bug report, but I didn't have a save from before the schedule was set to give them.

I saw it reported in bug forums some time ago and SI said they are investigation. Hopefully will be fixed for full release.

Peterborough from the Championship are sniffing around my star striker Samuel Boateng.  They have unsettled him by offering stupidly low amounts like £30k and they have worked up to £86k which is just not worth selling. I've tried to negotiate with them but they just withdraw out of the discussions. I'm not overpricing either as I'm asking for £400k.  

This has of course annoyed my entire team as for some reason they want me to sell our star striker for peanuts. Ridiculous. 

Staffordfc_zpsq2sddsjd.png

Stafford Rangers

Season Report 22-23

Profile  League Table   Finances  Squad

Following Promotion I had a takeover bid from some foreign investor at exactly the wrong time when you are trying to keep things local . By time it had all come to ahead and I was allowed look for additional talent to bolster the squad most of the youngsters released by clubs in the area had already been picked up. I did manage pick up a young striker who plugged a gap from Villa to replace last season's top scorer Jason Davidson who had joined Blackpool but that was it . I had to trust the team that had been through it all in the Vanarama North over the years and see how they fared and will slowly replace over the upcoming seasons as we look to move the club towards league status.

Two stalwarts have been earmarked for replacing in the upcoming season though Bradley House ( Club History ) will be kept on as a backup keeper for next season .  Club Captain Gianluca Havern ( Club History ) is toast at this point and will need to be moved on. Following Jason Davidson's departure it was left to ex Walsall striker Cameron Peters shouldered the main responsibility for goals and set the league alight .  In the Cups there was again a 1st round of the FA Cup at home to Carlisle which broke club records in terms of attendance but the league one side proved too strong and went through . The FA Trophy was a right off from the start losing to a last minute penalty away at Dartford in round one

Season	|       League	      |     Position	   |    Europe	  |      Top scorer        |    Achievements
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2017/18	|  Vanarama North     |       16th	   |      N/A 	  |  Harvey Knibbs  (15)   |   Avoided Relegation
2018/19 |  Vanarama North     |       16th         |      N/A     |  Harvey Knibbs  (11)   |   Avoided Relegation 
2019/20 |  Vanarama North     |       11th         |      N/A     |  Harvey Knibbs  (27)   |   Mid-table
2020/21 |  Vanarama North     |        5th         |      N/A     |  John Sampson   (29)   |   Lost in Playoffs     
2021/22 |  Vanarama North     |        1st         |      N/A     |  Jason Davidson (25)   |   FA Trophy Finalists
2022/23 |  Vanarama National  |       14th         |      N/A     |  Cameron Peters (33)   |   Avoided Relegation 

OK, don't normally do this sort of thing although have done a few FM stories under my first log-in of mavericktango which I got locked out of. So ......

[centre]

PPRPtxu.png

[/centre]

Profile | Squad | StaffFinances

I was tempted to go with Basingstoke to see if it would be feasible to stay in funds as a pro club but I've always hated the town of Basingstoke so went with Hednesford instead. My staff aren't very good but I've got £1,200 a week to play with for wages. I haven't examined the squad yet but I've got 19 players at the club and their positions means I can probably play my favourite 4-3-2-1 tactic. Nice to see my probable #1 keeper is valued at £5 and I've also got a 34-yr-old centre half worth £4 lol!

First tasks are to recruit a goalie/general coach, some scouts and organise a pre-season 

Just got my Brexit result...

JZROJ3B.jpg

Would have preferred no change but its fine.  Makes things slightly more challenging to go up the ranks as I'm sure all the domestic talent will be hoarded by the top teams.

Good season @Kaiserwatman and welcome to the challenge @mavericktangoII

Edit: And as you may be able to tell, I'm not exactly storming League Two at the moment!

The auld Brexit thing seems a game changer in this , seeing people getting different ones pop up - I did get no change which I guess suits me as I am only signing from clubs in a smallish area , As I progress I will need buy from them and thus make them better

@Amethyst21 Can't argue with your progress even if its a struggle currently if you got the Derbyshire boys to league status by Brexit breakdown

8 hours ago, Morrissey said:

Finally settled. My very angry-looking alter ego will be taking over Sutton Coldfield!

Debated King's Lynn and Hendon, but settled on this challenge. Who knows if I'll survive...

20161102203135_1.jpg

Good luck!  I managed Sutton Coldfield in last season's edition --- got them to L1 before things (both in game and out of game) kind of petered out for me.  Definitely a challenge!  (as a side note...King's Lynn was my team in the FM15 version too!)

8 games in with Basingstoke (I'm not playing much atm) and jusy had my first loss. At home against Tonbridge - not happy. My 18-year old striker Louis Rowe signed from Barnsley has 9 goals in 8 games so far.

3 hours ago, FreddyGuarin16 said:

What are the rules if we get sacked? are we ok taking on a new team that comes up the season after? or can we take over a team if they are available that came up that season? or can we just take over any team in the same league?  

From rules: If you get sacked, you can either take over a newly promoted club that satisfies the original criteria (check the club's league history), or just start again.

12 minutes ago, Soviet said:

From rules: If you get sacked, you can either take over a newly promoted club that satisfies the original criteria (check the club's league history), or just start again.

Cheers, Sorry completely missed that one.  So i imagine if i got sacked in say december, as long as i take over a team that got promoted that season its all good? 

17 minutes ago, FreddyGuarin16 said:

Cheers, Sorry completely missed that one.  So i imagine if i got sacked in say december, as long as i take over a team that got promoted that season its all good? 

My interpretation of the rules: 

If you get sacked In December, you need to Holiday until the next promotion window in June, then take over a team which is promoted into N/S and which qualifies (is on the original list -- which essentially means any team that is promoted and which didn't originally start in the VNS/VNN division at the start the FM17 save.

Ugh, what an awful start to my third season (and second in the National League).  Terrible run of home form (0-1-3, though I'm somehow 2-0-0 away), 2 of my 4 wingers are out with groin strains (and a third actually had one in the last match, but mercifully was OK afterwards), and my top 3 central midfielders are out too.  Just lost to AFC Fylde 4-0 at home.  Not sure if I can turn this around until we get a few of these guys back, and that won't be for at least 2-3 weeks when we get Willbye and the wingers back (Shulton and my new signing, Aaron Mitchell, will be out a bit longer).  Just had a team meeting though, we'll see if we can scrape together some results.

EDIT: Win another road game, lose another central midfielder (only for one game this time though, got two yellow cards in the win).

5 hours ago, G_D_K said:

My interpretation of the rules: 

If you get sacked In December, you need to Holiday until the next promotion window in June, then take over a team which is promoted into N/S and which qualifies (is on the original list -- which essentially means any team that is promoted and which didn't originally start in the VNS/VNN division at the start the FM17 save.

Btw for me 4 seasons in a team that was last in D1N of the Ist. League has come up. Also yes I'd agree that in the spirit it should be a new team at the end of the season.

17 minutes ago, Swindon69 said:

AFC Hornchuch

I imagine that taking charge is still within the rules of the challenge.

I had heard it was possible for this to happen in previous years but i had never seen it. Hornchurch probably has a high rep having been in higher leagues only a few years before the 1st season. (on FM16 it was 1550)

Season Summary - XaW - Folkestone Invicta - 2022/23

invictalogo.gif

Table | Past Positions | Squad | Transfers | Finances

My first full season after the takeover. Loads of poor players left the club in the summer and lots of new ones was brought in. This meant team cohesion went down, but with a much better squad I had hopes for a top half placement, and maybe a playoff if we got lucky. We, however, did one better by taking the whole thing! Early on we ran away along Salford, who also have had a tycoon takeover. This turned out to be the clash of the cash lower league style. About half way in we both had a gap of 18 points down to 3rd place, so a fight for the top spot was in order, or so I thought. With 10 games left, both Salford and us lost all notion of form. We only won 1 match while Salford didn't win any. The other teams caught up a lot, while we scrapped for a point here and there. In the end we managed to hold on to the top spot and ensure our place as champions. We had the facilities improved early this season, and I got another improvement approved. We also got our youth level to 4.

In the FA Cup we beat Bromley, Skelmersdale and Scunthorpe before losing to Everton in the 3rd round. In the FA Trophy we lost at the first hurdle against Kingstonian in the 1st round.

The best players this season were attacking right back Chiori Johnson, winger and point picker Faiq Bolkiah and the new rock in defense Wealth Da Silva.

Season	|       League	      |     Position	   |    Europe	  |      Top scorer       |    Achievements
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2017/18	|   Vanarama South    |       11th	   |      N/A 	  |     Ben Pattie (17)     |   Mid-table
2018/19	|   Vanarama South    |       4th	   |      N/A 	  |     Ben Pattie (24)     |   Promoted through playoffs
2019/20	|  Vanarama National  |       17th	   |      N/A 	  |     Harry Smith (22)    |   Survived relegation
2020/21	|  Vanarama National  |       11th	   |      N/A 	  |     Euan Sahadow (20)   |   Mid-table
2021/22	|  Vanarama National  |       10th	   |      N/A 	  | Daniel Butterworth (20) |   Tycoon takeover! Mid-table
2022/23	|  Vanarama National  |       1st	   |      N/A 	  |   Leon Okubuyejo (23)   |   Promoted as champions

5 hours ago, Swindon69 said:

It looks like it's not just the teams from the divisions directly below the Conf North & South that can come up.

If that's the case that's very interesting as it means my home town side Winchester City could in theory be promoted....

Season 2021/22 Review - Burgess Hill Town in the Vanarama National League

League Table | Squad | Transfers | Season Review

We're up! :eek:

Truth is Rochdale were untouchable for most of the season but completely lost it at the end, recording 6 losses in 7 games starting March. This put us on top by 2pts for the final round, but with a worse goal difference. Enough to keep me nervous for sure, but in the end we could control a tired-looking Dover while York mercilessly crushed Rochdale's hopes at their own home ground! The title goes to Burgess Hill!  (Rochdale did, amusingly, get back at York by beating them in the Playoff Final!)

I like to think that 37 goals conceded in 42 games coupled with our strikers scoring almost all of ours tells the whole story, but if it was at all unclear: We're all about destructive play while sitting deep and striking on the counter. Yes, this season as well. :D While I still have a lot of work to do on set pieces to perfect the style, kicking it long at Ryan to either shoot or flick on to Çetinkaya has proven effective enough to make it work. And when I say "enough" I mean just that.

I don't know how to feel about League 2 just yet, but we've turned professional and are undertaking another regulation-related stadium expansion. Add that roughly half the squad are on expiring contracts and a lot of things will certainly be different about Burgess Hill come next season!

Finances

So about that £400K surplus...

Notable Players

Max Ryan - Fans' Player of the Season
Koray Çetinkaya - Top Goalscorer
Jordan Cranston - Most Assists
James McDonagh - Signing of the Season
Mark Smith - New Vanarama National Most Clean Sheets record holder (22)
Antonio Diaz - Free Transfer bargain

Aim for next season: Stay up.

Season    League              Finish   Achievements
2021/22   Vanarama National   1st      League winners!
2020/21   Vanarama National   8th      FA Trophy runner-ups
2019/20   Vanarama South      1st      League winners!
2018/19   Vanarama South      4th      Playoff semi-finalists
2017/18   Vanarama South      6th      -

9 hours ago, Hypanimz said:

@XaW Great work on promotion. Thats crazy that Salford have also had a tycoon takeover. I can see back to back promotions coming up for you. 

Thanks! Yeah, they had a Saudi take over the club a couple of seasons ago, but I didn't notice until half way into this season. Salford and Folkestone are aiming for the Premier League! Who knew? By the way, the Enfield Town of my save just got promoted to the Vanarama National, so they are trying to compete with you!

4 hours ago, Upside Down said:

XaW well done on the victory and promotion. And of course one of your top players after your tycoon takeover and huge injection of cash has to be called Wealth

Yeah, his name was actually one of the reasons I had to check him out when my scout suggested him. With him being a much better center half than we had, it was a match made in heaven!

Blyth Spartans - 2019/2020 - Vanarama National League North

BlythSpartans.png

League Table | Finances | Transfers | End of Season Awards | Season Review | Youth Candidates | Injuries

Preseason:

I think I have a setup I'm liking, still needs some tweaks, but I train Balanced on Very High, get 3 team with a more higher reputation, 2 of the same and 3 local at the end to get morale back up if needed.

Season:

It was a strange season, started slow, but also slowly but surely I climbed the table on the back of a great defence, but always failed on the games that could get us to the playoff spots. Then I was able to start winning those games and was among the big boys, getting to 2 points from the league leaders!

Then Jarret Rivers who was having a great season (won PoY) got injured again and we slowly started dropping points until we dropped out of the playoff spots never to return, finishing just 3 points from the last playoff spot. We are getting closer, 11, 6 and now just 3 points to reach the playoffs at least. We had the best defence(again) with just 30 goals against!

Some collapses against teams on the relegation places costed us, also our inability to score goals on some games, I consolidated our tactics, seeing that the AI seems to be able to get good squads, since in terms of average each year I'm getting down, and each year I get more stats where I'm the worse in the league. Luckily the only one where I'm the best is determination, so the Spartan fighting spirit is getting us hard fought points, since we are almost always the underdog. Finally got a tactic that got me some wins when I'm the favourite and another to help and close games, having those 3 tactics all filled helped a lot.

Finances:

It was my worst season in the Cups with some early exits and not so much money entering, even if this year my board invested a lot of money in our running costs, so while in the red (at least until the takeover), we are not in the dire situation of having 400k in the red (now only aroung 100k).

Next year there will be another cut in the wage budget, so my fringe player will be put in non-contracts so I'll get under the wage budget. I may lose some of them but what can I do? I hope to be able to keep renewing with my best players so I can try and have a bit more luck and reach the playoffs.

53 minutes ago, Hypanimz said:

So I'm in the middle of a quite crazy FA Cup run. Just reached round 4 after knocking out 3 League 2 teams. My reward is an away trip to Leicester who are currently playing in the Championship. Hopefully will get to bring in a little bit of money from this. 

So we lost 5-0 at Leicester and unfortunately they only filled half of the stadium. We did bring in over £250k in gate receipts but it could have been so much better.

9 hours ago, yerug said:

There's also a switch from Quatar to a random better alternative for the World Cup, I believe my game changed it to China eventually. 

Pretty sure that China got my 2022 WC as well.  Seen a few posts with many other countries winning the rights to host as well.

5 hours ago, steff91 said:

Going to give this a crack i think,see with regards to posting up with progress how often is it? i usually think monthly updates?

Most people do a seasonable update, with a few doing a mid-season report as well.  Of course, you're free to post updates as often as you like!  I usually do two a season, with an odd extra note added if something important, improbable, or just plain funny happens :)

Enfield_Town_F.C._logo.png

Enfield Town FC - Vanarama National - 2022/23

After losing in the playoff final last season I was hoping we could push on and have another crack at promotion. We started poorly and this is likely due to me changing the squad and bringing in lots of new players. For a little while I thought we may have a struggle of a season and be in and around the relegation zone. We picked up massively in late November and then only lost another 5 league games all season. Unfortunately we were playing catch up too much and just ran out of time as we finished 4 points adrift of the playoffs. We did however have some fun in the cups. Next season I will try and keep this squad together and make less signings to keep the cohesion and hopefully get back in the playoffs. 

League Table

Past Positions

Cups - We had a blast in the cups this season. We knocked out 3 League 2 teams on our way to the 4th round of the FA Cup before facing Leicester away. We lost 5-0 but had a semi-decent payday as only 16,000 tickets were sold instead of a full capacity 32,000. We also had a run in the FA Trophy as we made it to the final where we faced Cheltenham and found ourselves 4-0 up in 26 minutes. We ran out very comfortable 6-0 winners at Wembley!

Squad - I upset the cohesion of the side with plenty of transfers. The best was Neil Brock who joined in October and after scoring 1 in his first 10 he went on to finish with 38 in 43. Next season I hope to keep hold of my star players and keep the cohesion by only signing a small amount of players. 

Finances - Still in debt but helped out with the cup runs.

Key Player Profiles:

Neil Brock - Amazing at this level. I thought I had signed a dud after 1 in his first 10 but when he found his feet in the division he couldn't stop scoring. 

Samuel Boateng - Another good return from the clubs all time top scorer. Took a while to gel with Brock but they both came good.

Andy Connor - Another great return from the right winger. Not as many goals this season but plenty of assists. 

Next Season

Playoffs at a minimum.

Career Overview

Season          League                      League Finish     Achievements
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2017/18         Vanarama South              9th                  
2018/19         Vanarama South              7th
2019/20         Vanarama South              8th
2020/21         Vanarama South              2nd               Playoff Winners
2021/22         Vanarama National           3rd               Playoff Finalist
2022/23         Vanarama National           7th               FA Trophy winners and FA Cup round 4

Archived